• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We're halfway through 2017. What's your favorite game so far this year?

Clov

That's really tough, but probably Nier Automata. Runners up would have to be Persona 5 and BotW. There's even more games I've loved though, and plenty more that I'm looking forward to this year. It's a great year for games, honestly.

Toki767

Serious question: would Horizon be getting mentioned as much if the graphics and robo aesthetic weren't as good as they are? On a soley gameplay basis, it was only "decent" to sometimes "good" for about half of the game to me. Most everything it offered had already been done to death in previous games.

To me, Horizon is kind of the open world game that feels like the most complete package so far. It had a good story, good combat, good music, good graphics, good lore, good traversal, good crafting, etc...

Obviously all of those things are always going to be opinions, but I don't really think Horizon falters on a single element as much as most other open world games tend to do.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So far, Nier: Automata. I haven't played BotW yet, but I plan to do it before the year ends :)

Can't wait for October, though. Wolf II and Super Mario Odyssey!

But after it been drilled into my head by several people, I have accepted that PUBG is gonna dominate the GOTY conversations this year, so I feel it's kinda pointless to have another favorite game this year. I guess I'll root for the "underdogs" :/

Type_Raver

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

BOTW%20Dragons.jpg

killatopak

NieR is the only one I've platinumed this year so....

Well it's mostly because I've been working on the backlog and older games.

Dadasch

As much as I like to fight Robo Dinosaurs in Horizon, in the end Persona 5 is the choice to go for. I was glued to the screen for a month; it was glorious.

Sanctuary

Well, it's not like I can't ever return to it any any point. I know about the new character, and while that might change the gameplay somewhat, I didn't honestly believe that they would force you to play the game two times in a row before allowing you to see a bunch of withheld content. A new section or two I could believe, but not a massive amount of new or altered areas.

Guess I was wrong. ;p

As it turns out, this so-called "third playthrough" isn't a new playthrough at all, but rather the chronological continuation of where 2B and 9S's stories originally ended. What seems like it's going to be a brief epilogue consisting of a final chapter quickly spirals into a another 12 hour campaign.

Cepheus

It's a toss-up between Breath of the Wild, Disgaea 5 and Puyo Puyo Tetris. I've put 90 hours into the latter.

But by the end of the year, it will be Odyssey.

Horizon: Zero Dawn, it's my game of the generation so far as well. Incredible game, I don't think I had ever spent so much time on a single player game and loved every minute of it. Great open world without ever feeling bloated, one of maybe the top5 stories in videogames, amazing graphics and art style, fun and engaging moment-to-moment gameplay. It's a masterpiece.

Jimm

Persona 5 then Horizon then Splatoon 2

I've missed a LOT of releases though this year I've decided to not buy so many games day 1. About to start Nier Automata and Yakuza 0 still yet to try BOTW. What a year though so far.

Horizon: Zero Dawn, it's my game of the generation so far as well. Incredible game, I don't think I had ever spent so much time on a single player game and loved every minute of it. Great open world without ever feeling bloated, one of maybe the top5 stories in videogames, amazing graphics and art style, fun and engaging moment-to-moment gameplay. It's a masterpiece.

I think Horizon is the most complete package of the games I've played. I gave it to NieR just slightly over Horizon because of the epic story that NieR told. I think Horizon beats it in graphics, enemy encounters and combat while also having a pretty awesome story in its own right. There is just something about NieR though that I can't explain. It ended up being my favorite game of all time.

BOTW was 3rd on my list. Amazing game, but lacks big time in story and combat compared to the other two in my opinion.

wapplew

1. Horizon zero dawn is my favorite so far. Not perfect but high point is the highest in my 2017 gaming year.

2. Zelda BoTW, my dream Princess Mononoke the game. Love every minutes from my 60+ hours play through.

3. Persona 5, Kawakami, enough said.

Too much games I love this year, RE7, GR2, Djmax respect, Sonic Mania, MK8D, 2017 really one of the best year in gaming, if not the best.

Best gameplay: Horizon

Best story: Nier Automata

Overall best game: Breath of The Wild

Actual Best Game of The Year Since I Put 1000 Hours Into It: Football Manager 2017

Horizon ZD is up there (though they've upset me a little by adding the play it on harder mode to get two achievements thing).

Just started playing Yakuza 0 and its really great. Wish I had more time, but over the next few weeks hope to get really into it, think this could be my game of the year by the time I'm finished with it.

SilentRob

I cant believe Im saying this the year Nier Automata came out but:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Its been a long, long time since a game gripped and touched me the way Hellblade did.

1. Gravity Rush 2
2. What Remains of Edith Finch
3. Sonic Mania
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Crash Bandicoot Remastered
6. Paladins (entered open beta on PS4 in 2017)
7. Nex Machina
8. Persona 5
9. Breath of the Wild
10. Lawbreakers

Raitaro

In terms of playing myself:

1. BOTW
2. Sonic Mania
3....that's it, really. Haven't played much new stuff beyond these two. I do still have Splatoon 2, ARMS, Nier: Automata, Yakuza 0, Super Mario Odyssey, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Persona 5, MVC:I, Metroid: Samus Returns, TumbleSeed, Edith Finch, Uncharted:TLL, Thimbleweed Park, Horizon: ZD, Mario + Rabbids, and Absolver on my wish list (as well as some other titles like PUBG and Cuphead if I end up buying a PC) but I'll probably won't get around to most of those...

In terms of watching (which I do far more than playing these days, perhaps unfortunately):

1. PUBG (I'm almost addicted to watching this daily...)
2. Resident Evil 7 (Hope the story DLC will bring this game back into people's minds...)
3. Dark Souls 3: DLC
4. BOTW
5. Sonic Mania
6. Friday the 13th

I suppose Nioh, although it was far from perfect. In fact, that's essentially what this entire year has been about so far to me. Good games, with very few actually being "great" despite many having a lot of potential. Nier really surprised me more than I thought it would, but I haven't felt the urge to finish the second playthrough, and I doubt starting a third with a new character will change the majority of the actual game much.

Serious question: would Horizon be getting mentioned as much if the graphics and robo aesthetic weren't as good as they are? On a soley gameplay basis, it was only "decent" to sometimes "good" for about half of the game to me. Most everything it offered had already been done to death in previous games.
That is games in general.

Hale-XF11

I don't own any of the games mentioned in this thread. Looks like I'm gonna have to pick up Prey and Horizon at some point. Possibly SuperHot VR as well.

Top Bottom