• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Just being the best show of the season.

Alv8fl.jpg

Also the best girl - eat your heart out, Shagga.

I genuinely like Chihayafuru, so it's hard for me to continue with the Team stuff.

Steroyd

mAcOdIn said:
It's all BS anyways, clearly the author started with girls in their underwear and worked backwards to try and think of a reason why they were in their underwear, there's no real logic behind it. Like do the clothes even matter when their animal familiar or persona's tail comes through their clothing, why do they even have animal forms, who fucking cares burn it with fire.

Saimoe is serious fucking business.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
duckroll said:
HEY DARKSIDE34756254!

First week sales for Nichijou BD Vol1 - 2,620
First week sales for Pendrum BD Vol1 - 5,216

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!?!?!?!

0PdpCl.jpg

Call me back when PengDrum's BD/DVD sales are higher than the great Ro-Kyu-Bu's.

Pendrum sales are a pretty big disappointment. Using Nichijou to make it look better is so silly, you know better than that duckroll.

Dresden said:
Why don't they just wear pants until they have to fight aliens or whatever?
They'd have to take them off every time before they fly, it'd take too long! Need to be able to jump into the flying legs at a moment's notice!

Reknoc said:
Because they always have to be ready! Always be vigilant! What if someone attacked, and they were just chilling in their pants? By the time they get them off everyone could already be dead!
Right!

mAcOdIn said:
It's all BS anyways, clearly the author started with girls in their underwear and worked backwards to try and think of a reason why they were in their underwear, there's no real logic behind it.
Well of course that's the reason, yes.

As I've said before though, I definitely like how in the series they don't really care about it -- people have gotten used to it so for them it isn't weird. That's better, and more realistic, than if they were all embarrassed about it all the time or something.

Like do the clothes even matter when their animal familiar or persona's tail comes through their clothing, why do they even have animal forms, who fucking cares burn it with fire.
On that note, I'd love to get explanations for why tails seem to so often just materialize through clothing, in shows with people with tails. Um, the clothing needs holes for things like tails and wings to go through, but often they don't bother with any kind of visible opening, they just ... go through anyway. It's stupid.

Edit: Honestly, I don't see why they don't ditch the striker units and just get all the witches together and make them power a fucking huge ass flying battleship.
Fighter planes are better than battleships.

Kagami

mAcOdIn said:
Like do the clothes even matter when their animal familiar or persona's tail comes through their clothing
For most of the characters, the tails aren't blocked (their pants ride low on their hips).
For those where that doesn't work, like the Fuso witches, their bodysuits have holes in the back for the tail to go through.

Dynedom

Jexhius said:
So, they might make more 'good' Gundam? That is actually heartening new.

Why do you set your heart up to be broken?

edit: Also, would you be able to help me procure an avatar of Reuenthal? In the style of your avatar I mean.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Well of course that's the reason, yes.
I know!
A Black Falcon said:
As I've said before though, I definitely like how in the series they don't really care about it -- people have gotten used to it so for them it isn't weird. That's better, and more realistic, than if they were all embarrassed about it all the time or something.
It's the better way for the integrity of the work, lol, integrity of the work in regards to Strike Witches, lol, however it's also the creepier way for the audience because it attempts to legitimize underage girls running and flying around in their underwear.
A Black Falcon said:
On that note, I'd love to get explanations for why tails seem to so often just materialize through clothing, in shows with people with tails. Um, the clothing needs holes for things like tails and wings to go through, but often they don't bother with any kind of visible opening, they just ... go through anyway. It's stupid.
It's all fucking magic like magnets.
A Black Falcon said:
Fighter planes are better than battleships.
Well sure but the witches aren't planes either. But the should at least have the option, I mean, their method of transportation is largely irrelevant it's the fact that they can lift heavier weaponry and enhance the weaponry with magic that makes them a threat to the Neuroi in the show, so why not give them some options? Why not have like a giant ship they could use one episode against a heavily armored yet slow enemy or a large ground based cannon they could all feed their energy into for massive damage? It was a stupid concept and the show was stupid but they could have varied the enemies and how they beat them a tad bit more, even Go Lion has more variation than Strike Witches and they only have separate lions or Go Lion.
Kagami said:
For most of the characters, the tails aren't blocked (their pants ride low on their hips).
For those where that doesn't work, like the Fuso witches, their bodysuits have holes in the back for the tail to go through.
God, please tell me you had to ask or look this up.

mAcOdIn

Articalys said:
How excited is Nozomi Entertainment about their upcoming release of the final third of Utena?

So excited that they're going to be streaming the first third on their Youtube channel, two episodes per week, up to the volume 3 release.

Subtitled (sorry cajunator) and US/Canada only, but still a cool gesture.

I am so there.
Well I already have the first two sets so this doesn't help me but I guess it's great they caught up. I hate Youtube though, wish they'd put it up with Hulu like His/Hers or make a XBMC/Boxee/iOS/Android app.

Anyways, where the fuck is Nadiesco? Fuck Gasaraki, I wanna see Nadiesco, I've never seen that one!

scy

cajunator said:
Glorious zettai ryouiki
:cajun:

As much as I love me some of that, I never really got into Strike Witches.

At least, I assume we're still talking about Strike Witches.

B.K.

Last Exile 2 episode 3

I thought it was interesting that Ades is only attacking the nations founded by the humans that returned to Earth on Exile. They aren't trying to take over the world, like most countries that start wars in anime. They're just trying to reclaim the land that was stolen by the returners. I wonder how they're going to explain Dio still being alive ~120 years after Exile's return.

Steroyd

Hana Yori Dango 20 - 25

Holy crap @ ep 24, a re-announcement of something that I the audience was already aware of a couple of episodes back warranted dramatic music plus shocked faces for a solid 1 minute. Been a while since I cried tears of laughter at something that wasn't intentionally funny.

mAcOdIn

B.K. said:
Last Exile 2 episode 3

I thought it was interesting that Ades is only attacking the nations founded by the humans that returned to Earth on Exile. They aren't trying to take over the world, like most countries that start wars in anime. They're just trying to reclaim the land that was stolen by the returners. I wonder how they're going to explain Dio still being alive ~120 years after Exile's return.
Haven't watched the show but....
Relativity?
Kagami said:
I guess you could say that.
I don't even....

Jex

Paprika in a Theatre

I've seen this movie a few times before, and I've always considered it Satoshi Kon's weakest movie, but I thought that I still liked it quite a bit. However, during this screening I discovered that my opinion on the movie really has changed a lot. I guess this is the fault of seeing the movie in a theatre: something about being able to focus so intensely on the movie itself really magnifies the flaws.

The movie opens fairly well and things get off to a suitably energetic pace. There's a nice exploration of one persons dream, some exposition about the 'dream machine' itself and then we get a really creative and fun opening credits sequence. Everything seems to be going well. Alas, this cannot continue.

As soon as what I'm going to call the movies "A plot" gets going a number of problems start to crop up. For a start, all the 'character' seem to do is spout exposition either about the events of the plot, or the technology that's driving the events of the plot. This continues for pretty much the whole movie. Even major characters like Himoru,Tokita, the Chairman, Toratarō Shima and Osanai get pretty much zero character development, even though they're extremely important. You just can't have characters state "we're best friends" or "he has the mind of the child" because that's not actually character work or development, that's just more exposition. Chiba, the apparent protagonist, gets very little development, which makes certain events a the end hard to swallow and rather strange.

Why did this happen? Why are there so many characters that mean so little? I think the problem lies with the "A plot". Essentially I feel that the movie has two plots. The "A plot" is about the dreaming device which
gets stolen and misused by various shadowy characters, which eventually ends up with reality and dreams merging
and the "B plot" which revolves around a character I haven't mentioned yet, Detective Konakawa. This is the guy the movie actually opens with. His plot involves
Chiba/Paprika diving into his dreams to help him resolve his personal issues.
The problem with these two plots is that they are very different, they're at completely different scales and they have no real reason to connect to each other.

"Plot A" feels extremely rushed, which a bunch of underdeveloped characters, especially the chairman who literally spends every single line of dialogue spouting philosophical babble of the highest order. More over,
the events of the plot are rather convoluted, and the resolution itself seems unexplained. How DID dreams and reality merge? Why? Why were certain people able to control the dream?Why was Paprika more powerful than the chairman? What are the implications of a technology that can literally rewrite technology which can also be controlled by one women? Why does no one seem to care about that at the end?
It's really just an excuse for extremely bombastic and spectacular visuals...that come from nowhere and can't really be expanded or defended. They seem a bit pointless at times. For example, when Paprika
takes on the roll of various film characters in the detectives dream it actually makes sense, as the detective has a thing for movies. When she keeps doing outside his dream, it's just for fun I guess? But it doesn't seem as relevant.

On the other hand, "Plot B" actually uses this particular plot device, the dream machine, to explore and develop one particular character so that we learn more about him, and investigate his problems. This actually works really well and the film could have all been about stuff like that.

Some of the visuals don't look great on the big screen, especially some of the CG. It looks surprisingly bad, considering that the majority of this film looks excellent with really detailed background art.

One final complaint I have is with the editing. For quite a large chunk of the movie we just seem to jump about scenes without anything really linking them, or in fact, without any breathing space or air. We're still doing something in one scene but now we've cut to the middle of another scene, without completely finishing the action in the previous one. Frankly it's quite disorientating. It would make more sense if
they saved that for when we collapsed into the dream world so that the editing would mirror this confusion. Or if it was a lot more subtle, like in Perfect Blue
Instead it just seems like they've done a bad job linking the scenes.

Still, it was nice to see in a theatre with 100 other folks.

Branduil

Hajime no Ippo 7

I really hate it when writers
make characters magically learn new techniques in order to win a fight.
It was so predictable that they were going to pull something out of their ass like that too, ugh.

These diets seem kind of unhealthy.

STRETCH ARMSTRONG

Chihayafuru 5

This show is easily the best executed show of the season. The characters and their relationships are well presented, and the emotional drama is very effective. I can't wait for next week,
when the karuta club starts getting some members! The plot up to now has been tightly focused on the central trio, it'll be interesting to see it branch out a little.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chihayafuru 2-5: Finally caught up. This is a great show, but I'm glad I took a break from it so I could get through the entire flashback and get to present in one go. Episode 5's conclusion in particular, while predictable, was very powerful to me. It's all in the execution. The music, the animation, everything was great this episode! ^_^

Articalys

Chihayafuru 5

I guess I missed the Madhouse hype train or whatever for this series because while I agree it's definitely a solid show, I don't get the lavish praise everyone keeps heaping on it.
Looking forward to the main plot now that all the setup is done.

duckroll

mAcOdIn said:
And of course the other factor we're leaving out is whatever revenue they make from their run on domestic television broadcast in Japan. I don't know exactly how TV licensing works in the US let alone Japan but I figure they're either getting some of the advertising money or some money from the channel it's broadcast on. I'm sure that some home video sales are needed for most shows to break even or even profit but I also wouldn't be surprised if there were some shows done on such shoestring videos and are made just to fill a slot that they're(home video sales) just an afterthought.

No, actually this is one factor which is completely off the table for the majority of anime. Anime in general airs late in the night, at like 1am to 3am in the morning, and the only ads of not for the show are by the sponsors of the show themselves. Which is to say, if you are watching Soul Eater on TV, the only ads you will see are likely ads for Square Enix and Aniplex products. This means the only people paying for advertising on that timeslot are the same people who are paying for the production of the show. That is another way of saying that the people paying to make the show are also basically paying to even get the show on air in the first place. They really need sales from home video, merchandising, and licensing to make any money at all.

RurouniZel

No. 6 10-11: I don't know why I put off watching the end of this, but now that I have I still have no idea what the hell just happened. Not a very good conclusion in my opinion, it tried to have dramatic moments but just came off as "And that's it. The end." And I just wasn't feelin' it. :/

KtSlime

RurouniZel said:
No. 6 10-11: I don't know why I put off watching the end of this, but now that I have I still have no idea what the hell just happened. Not a very good conclusion in my opinion, it tried to have dramatic moments but just came off as "And that's it. The end." And I just wasn't feelin' it. :/

You are an amazing person to have watched past episode 8. I have a pretty good tolerance for crap, but that was my breaking point.

You watch without subs right? I can't imagine having to sub that show, that would be truly painful.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
icarus-daedelus said:
What, is it because they look like they're 10? Do not let such trivial matters deter you in the pursuit of zettai ryouiki, friend!
I think if the girls actually wore pants it would be slightly more watchable than it already is.

Chihayafuru 5

This is pretty excellent and definitely the best of the season. The emotional climax for this episode was pretty great all around. Now it looks like the real meat of the show will start.

RurouniZel

ivedoneyourmom said:
You are an amazing person to have watched past episode 8. I have a pretty good tolerance for crap, but that was my breaking point.

You watch without subs right? I can't imagine having to sub that show, that would be truly painful.

Sometimes I watch without subs, sometimes if I watch much later I watch with. This time, I watched with. Truthfully the only reason I finished was because it was so short. :/ I just wish I understood what happened. Or perhaps I know what happened, and just wish there was something better for it. >>

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
Pants-wearing moe anthropomorphizations of WWII fighters? How ridiculous.

Actually the fact that they don't apparently wear skirts, shorts, or anything at alll is especially disconcerting considering they look like they're ten. And have tails.
It's not just looks, Lucchini is officially 12 years old in the series!

Articalys

icarus-daedelus said:
Pants-wearing moe anthropomorphizations of WWII fighters? How ridiculous.
Ironically the only character who does wear pants is based off pilot Adolf Galland, who apparently flew his plane while wearing his swimtrunks. So I guess we can't win either way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
Chihayafuru 5

I guess I missed the Madhouse hype train or whatever for this series because while I agree it's definitely a solid show, I don't get the lavish praise everyone keeps heaping on it.
Looking forward to the main plot now that all the setup is done.
It's just good and executes everything well. If you're not watching Tamayura for whatever reason, then this is clearly the only other choice.

Oh, and for me anyway, it helps that this new episode was just amazingly well directed.

Well, there's also Kimi to Boku I suppose. It's a close runner up.

Cwarrior

Chihayafuru 5

This show lives on how well it's executed, on paper it's a really boring so so story but its done so well it's enjoyable to watch.

I don't why but the music reminds of jurassic park.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura 5:

This is so Aria that it hurts:
WgxOUl.jpg

So gooooooood. Heck, I think I'm going to rewatch all of Aria when this show is done.

DY_nasty said:
I still need to finish infinite stratos too
Ichika no echiiiiii, etc.

Velti

Neo Member
I... I just don't know where else to go. This seems as good a place as any to express my frothing love for Rideback- I'm on episode 9 now. Just found it on Netflix.

Did... did Keifer and Rin just do it? Or was he being inspirational?! Isn't.. isn't he like twice her age? I'M SO CONFUSED/TURNED ON.

EDIT: Also, where can I watch Gundam Unicorn? It looks like the best thing since 08th MS Team.

duckroll

Velti said:
EDIT: Also, where can I watch Gundam Unicorn? It looks like the best thing since 08th MS Team.

You can buy Vol1-3 on DVD or Blu-ray from Amazon, The Right Stuff, etc. Vol4 comes out in December. If you are in the US, you can also rent Gundam Unicorn on PSN in HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom