• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim has sold over 20 million copies

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This got lost at the bottom of a press release.

ZeniMax said:
The previous chapter in this franchise was The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim® which was released in November 2011 and enjoyed worldwide critical and commercial success. As the sequel to the 2002 Role-Playing Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind®, and the 2006 Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, Skyrim earned hundreds of ‘Game of the Year’ awards and sold over 20 million copies.
Source: http://www.bethblog.com/2014/01/23/the-elder-scrolls-online-voice-cast-revealed/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Twenty million copies

TWENTY million copies

Whtasfhaovnxlkvnaohf

Well deserved.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pretty crazy. Not sure what it was about skyrim, but nearly all of my friends that tend to just play CoD got this game.

inky

No wonder that seemingly every second game announcement or interview cites Skyrim as an "inspiration".

Came to post these exact same words. Dragon Age, The Witcher, Tomb Raider, etc. have all cited Skyrim as inspiration... yeah, they all love the open world design & gameplay possibilities money it makes.

Threi

notag
well done for the second most critically-acclaimed game in history

hopefully TLoU will be looked at as fondly in the future as skyrim is right now.

BPoole

If like to see the platform breakdown. It's crazy that Skyrim is still one of the top played games on Steam even 2 years after release (mostly due to mods).

Belgorim

Sounds incredibly high.

On the other hand, I bought it. It was completely unplayable on PC though, so I didnt get to play for more than 5 min or so.

Guess I could fix it with mods, but on oblivion I spent more time modding than actualy playing, so cant be bothered :(

KKRT00

I love the game and their stance to modding community, but dunno if they deserve all the sales. I think that few of those millions should be transferred to other RPG games :p

Still, any new Elder Scrolls game is day 0 for me :)

-------
On the other hand, I bought it. It was completely unplayable on PC though, so I didnt get to play for more than 5 min or so.
What?

Samyy

I still haven't played it, maybe they'll do a definitive version for next-gen :(
Glitchyness of PS3 version kept me away, I suppose I could pick it up used for cheap sometime, I don't want to give Bethesda any money.

Vexxan

Skyrim is the most popular "non-mainstream" game I've ever seen. If that makes sense.

I'd say that's a very good way to describe it.

I played my fair share of Skyrim when it was released but I've been thinking about going back for a while and installing just about every mod I can find that seems interesting.

Acosta

Well deserved. More of this please.

Some day I want to start playing with mods but there are so many it´s difficult to know where to start.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No wonder that seemingly every second game announcement or interview cites Skyrim as an "inspiration".

Came to post these exact same words. Dragon Age, The Witcher, Tomb Raider, etc. have all cited Skyrim as inspiration... yeah, they all love the open world design & gameplay possibilities money it makes.

The investment per RPG is also way up I feel. Judging by some DICE slides there are around 400+ people working away on Dragon Age 3.

My game of the generation. The Mass Effect series as a whole I enjoy more, but Skyrim is the single game I enjoy the most. Sales are well deserved.

I still haven't played it, maybe they'll do a definitive version for next-gen :(
Glitchyness of PS3 version kept me away, I suppose I could pick it up used for cheap sometime, I don't want to give Bethesda any money.
The ps3 problems were always way overblown. And it's completely fixed now. Bethesda deserves the money. The game was amazing, and they treat dlc the right way.

ironcreed

Banned
The definitive edition will be a must own. Say what you will about the gameplay, but I love the hell out of it just for the world and atmosphere alone.

kswiston

So Skyrim is the best selling WRPG of all time, and the third best selling RPG (behind the first two Pokemon games).

Belgorim

I love the game and their stance to modding community, but dunno if they deserve all the sales. I think that few of those millions should be transferred to other RPG games :p

Still, any new Elder Scrolls game is day 0 for me :)

-------

What?

Menus didnt even work for me, could only choose between two races. It also crashed after a while.This is steam version without mods.

Mononoke

Banned
I personally didn't like Skyrim. I mean, I was really into it when it came out. But as I kept playing, I found the missions to be boring, and just the overall writing left a lot to be desired. That said, this was like the best game for PC modding. I easily threw in insane amount of hour just modding the world and messing around it.

Regardless, really great numbers.

Deserved. Don't think I put more hours into any other single player game this gen. Game definitely has it's glaring issue's, but it's still a great game.

KKRT00

The investment per RPG is also way up I feel. Judging by some DICE slides there are around 400+ people working away on Dragon Age 3.

Warhorse devs said that Skyrim team had less than 80 people.

---------
Menus didnt even work for me, could only choose between two races. It also crashed after a while.This is steam version without mods.

Thats very strange, played it from the first hour of release and never heard about similar problems, even in out Skyrim OT.

kswiston

Must have had something to do with your specific computer, because I had zero issues outside of the typical janky open world RPG stuff and 1-2 CTDs.

Vooduu

This proves gameplay(sort of?) over story?

Other than the wonky combat system, the game was fun because of its world and atmosphere despite it's transparent story. Oh and PC had tons of mods. :)

This still makes me excited for what else Bethesda has in store.

Top Bottom