• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim has sold over 20 million copies

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Sounds incredibly high.

On the other hand, I bought it. It was completely unplayable on PC though, so I didnt get to play for more than 5 min or so.

For you perhaps. I doubt something that gamebreaking couldn't have been researched for another 5 min or so.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Warhorse devs said that Skyrim team had less than 80 people.

Bethesda Game Studios is about 100-120 people.

If we assumed there were some on Fallout 4, that wouldn't be too far off.

However, my statement revolves around other companies spending more in order to get more of that audience as opposed to ZeniMax spending a ton.

Durante

The investment per RPG is also way up I feel. Judging by some DICE slides there are around 400+ people working away on Dragon Age 3.
I'd amend that to "investment per AAA RPG", since the last few RPGs I've been playing were Shadowrun Returns, Consortium and Might and Magic X :p

I haven't even played it yet. Is it good? I didn't really enjoy Oblivion. It was the combat that I disliked most, and I understand it's still pretty janky in Skyrim. After playing Demon's/Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma, I don't think I can go back to a shitty weightless combat system.

Bethesda are the only making games like Skyrim with that scale and budget, yet 20 million is still massively well deserved.

I'm super excited to see where they take this franchise next, now that they're not restrained by focusing on 7th gen consoles.

kswiston

How many copies did Demon/Dark Souls sell?

There is no justice in this world.

You can't make a game like Demon's souls and expect 20M sales. I don't think it was an accident that gaming exploded around the same time that developers started getting rid of the difficulty (or at least adding different difficulty modes).

Mononoke

Banned
I haven't even played it yet. Is it good? I didn't really enjoy Oblivion. It was the combat that I disliked most, and I understand it's still pretty janky in Skyrim. After playing Demon's/Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma, I don't think I can go back to a shitty weightless combat system.

Well...

IMO the cities in Oblivion had more personality. Just the overall side missions and writing was a lot better. This isn't to say Oblivion was great, I do agree it had a ton of issues (terrible animation, over used voice acting, too many NPCs sharing the same face, wonky combat, problematic level up system). Still, despite those hurdles, I always thought Oblivion just had some really great missions. And it had personality.

Skyrim on the other hand, the world is much bigger. I mean it's crazy big (I'm talking sprawling land, with a lot of detail. Very naturesque, and you could spend your entire time playing it, and never having seen all of the land, it's that big). The combat is still wonky, but not as bad as Oblivion. But ultimately, with the great expansion with Skyrim's world, it just fell hollow to me. I never got a sense that each town had its own lively personality. Felt just like extensions to me. And I really really thought the guild missions in oblivion were much better.

So to answer your question, it depends on what you want from the game. I mean, if you want a really amazing world to explore, I'd say it's worth a shot. But I just didn't find the actual missions to be all that great. But there is a lot of things Skyrim does better than its predecessor, no doubt.

Thought it was an amazing game helped by the modding community, just hope the sales helped them knock a year or 2 off the dev cycle. 4 Years is way too long to wait.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Did they add sales of the DLC packs or something. It sold really well, but 20m is hard to believe. Wasn't it 11m after it's first year or something?

Fus Ro Wow.

At least three of those copies were mine, got the 360 version, the PC version and another copy when I bought the Anthology.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did they add sales of the DLC packs or something. It sold really well, but 20m is hard to believe. Wasn't it 11m after it's first year or something?

It was around 11-12 million at the end of its first holiday period, which was only about 1.5 months.

Jigorath

Banned
It kind of got boring for me around the 30 hour mark. It didn't manage to hold me as long as Oblivion or Morrowind.

kswiston

It was at 11M by the end of 2011, which was the first 6 weeks. There are still 60k people playing concurrently on Steam. 60k for a single player game that is over 2 years old. The game was in Steam's top 10 sellers for over 6 months. Even though it was full price competing against discounted titles. I don't think it is a surprise that legacy sales were good.

Danneee

Well deserved. Now they might afford to actually have a good animation system, fun combat and entertaining and unique caves/dungeons for their next ES game.

eXistor

Insane numbers. Even though I didn't really like it overall, I still managed to get about 70 hours out of it, but a lot of that time was me being frustrated with the game's shallowness. That said, I can't deny the fun I had with either. If any rpg is destined for numbers like these though, it's Elder Scrolls games; they're borderline casual. Same with Oblivion: I always felt I could play the game just following the compass and not looking at the actual screen. Oh well, good for them, I hope the next one has actual depth, but I doubt it, they want their moneys.

Acosta

How many copies did Demon/Dark Souls sell?

There is no justice in this world.

Come on, it´s phenomenal that Dark Souls is over 2 millions, not even in their wildest dreams From Software could have thought they would be so successful.

inky

The investment per RPG is also way up I feel. Judging by some DICE slides there are around 400+ people working away on Dragon Age 3.

I wonder if it will work for them tho. Skyrim is kinda having the GTA effect, in that it resonated extremely well with the mainstream and just exploded. It is more surprising if you think about the previous games. They were good sellers too, (Bethesda was very good at having the games ready near the launch of the consoles where there was not much else out, which made a lot of people give them a chance and find out they were good games) but not on this level I think, and they are not the kind of game I'd assume appeals to so many people. Now everyone is out there with their "me too" mentality. Insane.

I'd amend that to "investment per AAA RPG", since the last few RPGs I've been playing were Shadowrun Returns, Consortium and Might and Magic X :p

The genre is doing great, and we all should be glad for that.

kswiston

I wish we had updated numbers for the Mass Effect games. I wonder how many Bioware games it would take to equal 20M. Most of them?

Sotha_Sil

Warhorse devs said that Skyrim team had less than 80 people.

I believe Bethesda barely broke 100 people with Skyrim. They had ~35 for Morrowind, ~75 for Fallout 3, and ~100 for Skyrim. I don't know the Oblivion numbers, but it'll be somewhere between 35 and 75.

It's pretty amazing when you consider that Dragon's Dogma had over 150 people, Red Dead Redemption had over 500 (iirc), and Assassin's Creed games are +500 people.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if it will work for them tho. Skyrim is kinda having the GTA effect, in that it resonated extremely well with the mainstream and just exploded. It is more surprising if you think about the previous games. They were great sellers too, (Bethesda was very good at having the games ready near the launch of the consoles where there was not much else out, which made a lot of people give them a chance and find out they were good games) but not on this level I think, and they are not the kind of game I would think would appeal to so many people. Now everyone is out there with their "me too" mentality. Insane.

Well I mean that's basically how EA operates as a business model, sometimes to success, others to failure.

I wish we had updated numbers for the Mass Effect games. I wonder how many Bioware games it would take to equal 20M. Most of them?
Well Dragon Age as a series is at 8 million and Mass Effect was at 7 million with the first two plus (judging by revenue) about 5 million with ME3, so both series combined would do it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Awesome. Deserves every sale.

TES is one of the best franchises of all time, even at its low points.

Can't wait to see a Next Gen Elder Scrolls. Since Fallout 4 is next on the docket for releases, the next Elder Scrolls will be made with better knowledge of the systems, and with any lessons learned from Fallout 4. Should be amazing.

No loading cells is my biggest hope.

inky

Well I mean that's basically how EA operates as a business model, sometimes to success, others to failure.

Yeah, that's true. I just wish they sometimes were more honest about that approach, and not because other people's success is basically forcing their hand.

kswiston

Well Dragon Age as a series is at 8 million and Mass Effect was at 7 million with the first two plus (judging by revenue) about 5 million with ME3, so both series combined would do it.

How did Dragon Age make it to 8M? Last I check, DAO was between 3-4M, and I thought DA2 bombed. There most have been some crazy legs going on with that series as well.

That'll do pig. That'll do.

Put 200 hours into this in the first two months after launch alone. When you step back from all the discussion and criticism and crying over which aspects of the game should've been done better... and judge it for what it brings into your living room compared to all other titles in existence, 20M is beyond deserved

Top Bottom