• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, first of all. Another thread by me which has alot of work (to be done). This time it's about Steam. In here we can put all the updates and discuss 'em. Anyway, here goes:

header.gif

about.gif

Steam is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation. It is used to digitally distribute and manage games ranging from first-person shooters and RPGs to racing games and cross-genre independent titles. Among its clients are Strategy First, PopCap Games, THQ,2K Games, Activision, Capcom, Codemasters, Eidos Interactive, Firaxis Games, id Software, Ritual Entertainment, Rockstar Games, Sega, Take-Two Interactive, Epic Games, and Ubisoft. As of January 29, 2008, over 250 games are available on Steam, and as of February 7, 2008, there are over 15 million accounts.

Features

• Digitally Disitributed Games
  • Steam Achievements
  • Friends System
  • Clan System
  • Steam Groups
  • Steamworks
  • Automatic Patching
  • Free as a base client

publishers.gif

As you may know, there are many publishers, who are distributing their games over Steam. These are all 13 of them (so far):

mentionable threads.png

- Steam ID's

footer.gif

Now go gaf!

Durante

I support this thread. Especially in light of all the digital distribution fuckups -- recent and longstanding -- by the console companies, Steam needs (even) more exposure. It shows that it's not really all that hard to get almost everything right.

MutFox

Banned
Good thing they're bringing some new updates to DoD: S.
That game is so awesome,
but gets so much hate cause a lot of people want it to be the same as the previous game.

Volcynika

Probably should add a current weekend deal to the OP whenever you get a chance.

Right now, it's Call of Duty 4 for 20% off. Whee!

sol_bad

Does anyone know if theres a way to access US games by an Australian Steam account? The price differences and game unavailability is just a joke if you ask me.

Soule

Visualante said:
No point keeping the OP updated with actual news, people will just want to go to last post.
Yeah but what if I go off on the weekend with my mates fishing and I come back thinking "hey I'll check that thread for the news" and there's like +10 pages since I last read it, yeah I'll be super happy to weed through them all to find out what's happening as opposed to just browsing over the OP (it's happened before, I'm looking at you SSBB Dojo super thread). Keeping the OP updated eliminates these kind of situations and keeps things neat.

k, maybe I'm not so keen on keeping up to date with every release. I have the RSS on my browser bar so I know what's up if I'm shopping. I just think it's a little unreasonable to expect OP to keep it updated a few times a week. Especially as it's growing so much.

I guess I am just coming from the VC thread where I have genuinely stopped caring about releases.

zoku88

Volcynika said:
Probably should add a current weekend deal to the OP whenever you get a chance.

Right now, it's Call of Duty 4 for 20% off. Whee!
Whoa really? I might have to finally jump in then

Ledsen

gregor7777 said:
Here's a screencap of the US pubs in the Search function:

http://www.gregeisenman.info/web_images/list_of_pub.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

edit: My bad, the list of publishers on the start page isn't complete.

Teknoman

Heh this topic is a nice reminder of how far people have come with STEAM. I remember back when it first released, people were crying about how much it sucked and it would continue to be a horrible service. Look at them now :D

Heres hoping for more publishers and original titles.

legend166

The only announcement I'll care about is the one that says "all games will be available in all countries, prices in US dollars."

aeolist

Banned
I use the Obsidian skin. Don't really like the default, and I wish they allowed custom skins and transparency and such.

Edit: Google claims custom skins exist. Had no idea.

FirewalkR

I feel bad buying stuff on Steam. I mean, a few minutes ago I thought it'd be nice to replay one of the GTA3's. I went on Steam and noticed that I could buy a "Rockstar Collection" which is ALL GTA's (minus 4 of course) from 1 to San Andreas, plus both Max Payne's, Manhunt, Midnight Club 2, and Wild Metal Country, for less than 60 euros (80 something bucks). Ker-CHING!

Now I'm looking at the Eidos Everything Pack, which includes the following 20 games:

Battlestations: Midway
Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty
Commandos: Strike Force
Conflict: Denied Ops
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Blood Money
Hitman: Codename 47
Infernal
Just Cause
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men (har har 5 bucks already)
Project: Snowblind
Rogue Trooper
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider:Legend

All this for $100 ex. VAT, AKA "little more than $5 a pop", which after taxes should be about 80 something euros for me.

I mean... this shit is incredible. I feel like a burglar. I feel like I'm ROBBING Valve, Rockstar, Eidos, everyone. And I can't stop. :lol

PS: This reads almost like I work for Valve, but I don't. It's just... Steam is awesome. :D

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
They like having gigantic packs like that on Steam, apparently. There's also the id super pack for 70 bucks, where you get:

Quake III Arena, Wolfenstein 3D, Ultimate DOOM, Final DOOM, DOOM II, QUAKE, QUAKE II, QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning, QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero, QUAKE III: Team Arena, HeXen, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Spear of Destiny, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity, QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon, DOOM 3, HeXen II, DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil, Master Levels for Doom II, Commander Keen

And the Valve complete pack for 100 which has:

Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Ricochet, Half-Life, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, Peggle Extreme

I like Steam.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
I wouldn't. It would probably make more since to just list the notable publishers.

Agreed, most of those pubs just have one of two Wii-like casual games. Not really worth noting,

Does anyone have kind of dreadful performance in the actual Steam application? I don't know whether it's bloat or my now oldish rig is just showing its teeth, but fade ins and outs are not smooth at all and store navigation is kind of sluggish.

akachan ningen said:
Where's the win? Most of the games on steam can be bought cheaper at retail stores. God forbid we should ever leave our houses.

Whim, click, install, play.

proposition said:
Does anyone have kind of dreadful performance in the actual Steam application? I don't know whether it's bloat or my now oldish rig is just showing its teeth, but fade ins and outs are not smooth at all and store navigation is kind of sluggish.

Working good here.

BioHazard

So is anyone else playing Chaos Theory? I'm finding it fun, the puzzles are interesting except for some of the timing based ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom