• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzoram said:
I just want to know if I can play with a friend online if we both get it on Steam. Are there servers up, or can we create and join each other's games? If anyone knows, please tell us.
Alright, let me explain.

You can play custom or regular campaign through co-op. People can make games and other people can join. You can use your character from singleplayer or you can all create a new one. (Don't know about the level-cap, but at least 4 people should be possible..)

Twig

Banned
Zzoram said:
They're waiting for the updated version to put on Steam. It'll have some of the voice work redone, extra quests, and fewer bugs. The extra content will be available as a free DLC for people who already bought the game.

It was recently delayed to this Fall I believe.
Oh! Well, that's good news!

Thanks for the info. :)

Zzoram

Banzaiaap said:
Alright, let me explain.

You can play custom or regular campaign through co-op. People can make games and other people can join. You can use your character from singleplayer or you can all create a new one. (Don't know about the level-cap, but at least 4 people should be possible..)

So I can still play online coop even if the official servers are shut down? I'm just worried because Iron Lore was closed, and I don't want to buy the game if the multiplayer is shut down.

Zzoram said:
So I can still play online coop even if the official servers are shut down? I'm just worried because Iron Lore was closed, and I don't want to buy the game if the multiplayer is shut down.
Like all the third parties on Steam you play it through whatever service the game uses. You play Titan Quest through GameSpy's service so if they go down I guess your SOL.

You can play private or public games and up to 6 people. I took a screenshot:

2r2vq07.jpg

zoku88

New Steam update. Yay for ClearType ^^

Steam Client

Enabled ClearType fonts if they are enabled in Windows

Improved in-game status and play time tracking for games with launcher apps

Improved in-game overlay input handling in a variety of games that previously did not capture or block keyboard input correctly

Added D3D10 support to the in-game overlay

Made voice chat requests ignored if you've blocked communications from the caller

Fixed the original Half-Life not getting to 100% complete downloading when it should

Improved server selection logic for Friends and VAC server connections

Improved Steam network connectivity in the face of dropped UDP packets

Fixed the overlay not recognizing the Tab key in some games (breaking the default hot-key)

Improved Friends duplicate name collision detection

Also, an updates for the DoD beta:
Day Of Defeat: Source Beta Update Released

Updates to Day of Defeat: Source Beta have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Day of Defeat: Source Beta

* Fixed possible crash when a rocket explodes

Another steam update.. This time the release of Trials 2!

Now On Steam - Trials 2 Second Edition
May 28, 2008, 11:00 am - Alden Kroll - Product Release

RedLynx Trials 2 Second Edition -- a spectacular motorcycle game featuring stunning graphics, addictive gameplay, and integrated Steamworks functionality -- is now available via Steam.

Trials 2 offers gamers four distinct moto gaming modes: Race, Flip, Wheelie, and Dynamic). Race mode offers traditional racing. Flip challenges players to perform many backflips and/or frontflips with your cycle. Wheelie is a challenge to complete the longest wheelie possible. Dynamic mode places you on a motorcycle obstacle course of physical puzzles.

Trials 2 Second Edition includes over 50 tracks, global high scores, and ghost races.

In addition, the game has been enhanced with Steamworks functionality to offer support for Achievements, in-game Friends listings/tracking, and more.

Buy it before June 4th and save 10% off the regular price of $9.99
0000004115.1024x768.jpg

0000004113.1024x768.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. Here's the demo: http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=app&AppId=16610

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
they need to start making a way for me to organize my games, because the list just keeps getting bigger and bigger :(

Twig

Banned
Banzaiaap said:
That's exactly the reason of the favorites fuction.
My "favorites" list is almost as long as my "non-favorites" list. I've got to have over fifty games, thanks to all those stupid bundle deals. D:

Okay so I'm exaggerating. I generally keep my "playing now" games in the favorites, but since I play lots of multiplayer games, there are lots of them up there.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
I'm in love with Trials... I've played many flash games like this before, so great, some awful (depending on the physics) and to have it worked out like this just rocks... some of those levels are motherfucking bastards though

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Valve has announced a new addition to Steam, Steam Cloud:

Valve today announced Steam Cloud, a free Steam system that will retain users' saved games and configuration files indefinitely.

Half-Life and Half-Life 2 will be the first games to support the service. User key mappings will also be saved in Counter-Strike, and Left 4 Dead will ship with the feature.

If players are offline, the service will store the data and then add it to the network on the next connection. According to Valve, saved games and configurations will be stored forever.

Valve further noted that the service will be freely available to developers, and is set to launch in the "near future."

The company is also working on several new Steam systems, including a driver auto-updater and calendar functionality.

Another feature in the works is a system-requirement checker. The program will analyze your hardware and compare it to multiple games, estimating your performance and recommending upgrades.

Valve is also considering storing replay videos and kill-cam screens from games such as Team Fortress 2 and Day of Defeat: Source.
From Shacknews: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52906

Althane

So basically, I can move from computer to computer, and still have the same savegame around.

Sweet, I love this. Should be a necessary addition for ALL DD systems!

Proc

The Id superpack is staring me in the eye to buy every time I log in to steam these days. I'm about to cave. I own the majority of those games, but it seems way too convenient and cheap to pass up. Can anyone vouch for the goodness? I wouldn't mind taking a trip through the doom/quake series once more.

Remy

Just tried the Trials 2 demo, and got amused enough by the first "duck" tutorial that I dropped the $9 for it. Cheap thrills, woo!

Anyone else go in on it? Should we start a GAF group?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Proc said:
The Id superpack is staring me in the eye to buy every time I log in to steam these days. I'm about to cave. I own the majority of those games, but it seems way too convenient and cheap to pass up. Can anyone vouch for the goodness? I wouldn't mind taking a trip through the doom/quake series once more.

It's a fantastic pack and all the games included are fully compatible with the myriad of mods out there to improve them (zdoom and whatnot). All the dos based games run off of DOSBox built in, so no need to futz around or anything either.

Zzoram

TheOneGuy said:
I already have an EVE account... it'd be nice if I could just... add the game to Steam. ):

If all retail games that are also on Steam let you do that, I would be so happy. Also, why isn't Oblivion on Steam if other 2K published games are?

Twig

Banned
Zzoram said:
If all retail games that are also on Steam let you do that, I would be so happy. Also, why isn't Oblivion on Steam if other 2K published games are?
Yeah. Unfortunately, that's up to the developers, not Valve. And so many of them seem hesitant to do that. Don't know why. \:

Zzoram

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah. Unfortunately, that's up to the developers, not Valve. And so many of them seem hesitant to do that. Don't know why. \:

Hesistant to sell their game and get free advertising (via Available Now) with 17million game BUYERS? Steam apparently has a pretty good royalty rate (according to a guy from Stardock) and I doubt they take more than retail outlets.

Slavik81

Zzoram said:
Hesistant to sell their game and get free advertising (via Available Now) with 17million game BUYERS? Steam apparently has a pretty good royalty rate (according to a guy from Stardock) and I doubt they take more than retail outlets.
I think they take a little less than retail/distributers, but make a significantly larger profit (because their costs are lower). It's hard to say. The only data we have is from 2005, and it says they take a pretty sizable chunk. Like, 40%.

zoku88

Zzoram said:
I'm not doubting you, but why would a guy at Stardock know anything? They don't have any games on Steam.

Twig

Banned
Zzoram said:
Well, it's not like I'm going to buy it again!

(Though I have been tempted on many occasions.)

Slavik81

zoku88 said:
I'm not doubting you, but why would a guy at Stardock know anything? They don't have any games on Steam.
They probably at least looked into putting SoaSE on Steam. Their fans cried out for it and it was part of why they're doing Impulse.

atomico

kinda off topic, sorry, but I tried to log on to steam yesterday, after... dunno, 2-3 years? apparently my username is no longer in their database

is this common practice, among inactive accounts?

atomico said:
kinda off topic, sorry, but I tried to log on to steam yesterday, after... dunno, 2-3 years? apparently my username is no longer in their database

I don't know why they would, especially if you had games. I could see them flushing out inactive accounts that have never purchased anything, but I don't seem them doing it otherwise. You might want to email Valve and get that straightened out.

M3wThr33

Banned
atomico said:

You might have the wrong name. For some fucking stupid reason (THeir suggestion at the time) I used my EMAIL as my username. Try that. An old email address.

n0b

M3wThr33 said:
You might have the wrong name. For some fucking stupid reason (THeir suggestion at the time) I used my EMAIL as my username. Try that. An old email address.
Yeah, old steam used email adresses as steam account usernames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom