• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Zelda series keeping motion controls"

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
From Eurogamer

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's motion control scheme is here to stay, series boss Eiji Aonuma has said.

Despite initial misgivings about requiring players to use the Wii Remote's MotionPlus attachment, Aonuma now believes buttons are a thing of the past for the Zelda series.

"I honestly think we cannot go back to button controls now", Aonuma revealed in a new ONM interview (via Kotaku). "So I think that these controls will be used in future Zelda titles, too."

Nintendo demonstrated a Zelda "experience" for the Wii U during its unveiling at E3 this year.

The Wii U's tablet controller was used as a touch-screen inventory.

Will players be asked to use a Wii Remote Plus and tablet controller together? Or will the inevitable Wii U incarnation include better usage of the tablet, too?

Zelda games for handheld systems will presumably keep the series' classic button controls. After this year's re-release of Ocarina of Time, the next 3DS Zelda game will be all-new, Aonuma recently said.
Wii U launching with a Wiimote/Motion+ controller confirmed?

If they can make minor improvements, I won't complain. Outside of a few minor complaints, SS was good. Also, I believe Nintendo said that Wii Remotes would work with WiiU.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thank God. Why the hell would you downgrade the controls anyway?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Meh. They made a great attempt with Skyward Sword, but for as good as the implementation is, I still would much prefer traditional controls for their reliability.

The controls only really added frustration to my experience and increased the focus on things that I don't care about.

PKrockin

Well, I'm fine with this. SS's controls were great. I just wonder if they really expect first-time Wii U owners to pick up a Wii Remote Plus just for Zelda.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The wiimote just isn't good enough. I could see this being fine if it was more akin to the Move, but with Nintendo keeping current Wiimotes for the Wii-u this is bad news.

I was hoping you could play the entire next game with the tablet controller.

Beats

I'm alright with this as long as they remove the motion controls for everything besides combat/items/puzzles.

Mael

Nintendo going iOS exclusive for all future Zelda games. Will buy in 69p sale.

I lol'd

That's great news, now if only they could give us the camera back....
If they go back to the archaic method of control I'm done with it anyway.
I could live without fps for more than 10 years I can do without Zelda.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why? This shit adds nothing.
What? It added a whole new layer of depth to the combat. It's the only Zelda that I enjoy actually hitting monsters in.

TDLink

Fantastic news. Pretty sure most people enjoyed the controls like I did. Button traditionalists or whatever will be miffed (as some in this topic already are) but we all know you'll come crawling back anyways.

And yeah, a Wiimote+ will for sure be bundled with the Wii U. It has to be.

Luigi87

Combat with swords = Yes, keep it please.
Menus and Archery = Use IR pointer
Swimming = Use analog stick

And I'll be happy.

Dascu

They're only going to get better.

If they keep the same hardware (Wiimote+), then the reliability isn't going to improve much. If they don't, and bring out a new set of Wiimotes, then I'll be angry because I'd have to buy yet another new controller.

guek

Banned
1322972684012.gif

That's all I have to say on the matter...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hmm. How would a skyward sword game work with a WiiU tablet? You can't really swing it in one hand like a sword, the best you can do is hold it up to use for scanning the environment, maybe a cool 2nd view for the beetle etc. but it isnt really designed for action.

And the number of times I've hit myself on the leg while playing SS, I'm not going to be using a wiimote with the tablet on my knee or I'll smash it.

Shepard

Forced Wiimotion+ was what hurted Zelda sales the most. If they are going full motion control, don't make it require an add-on please.

Why? This shit adds nothing.

I'm not a fan of the motion controls at all...but I can tell you. The motion plus controls certainly makes the combat more compelling.

It definitely adds to the experience...whether people like it or not is an entirely different matter.

I'm tired of the Zelda experience. Even with the changes in Skyward Sword, and recognizing I enjoyed it more than Twilight Princess...the whole Zelda thing is starting feel super-samey to me.

I'm over it.

The younger generations can love it for all their worth but Zelda is definitely not an IP that I want to play any longer.

VerTiGo

Banned
This is great news. I would prefer IR controls for pointing regardless how cool it is that SS uses motion plus for aiming only.

jfkgoblue

oh god, please no... I can't stand motion controls, and love Zelda, played TP on Gamecube just to avoid the motion on Wii even, will skip Skyward Sword as well... damn you Nintendo...

And I have tried Zelda games with motion, I don't like it, I just don't like motion gaming period

The motion controls should have been more like the sword fighting on Resort, if they are going to go that route.

What they need to get rid of is Aonuma and most of the Zelda team and replace it with somebody, maybe a mix between retro and some of the guys on the old-school Zelda games, and throw-in whoever was responsible for that huge open-world in Xenoblade.

$100 says most of the people complaining haven't even played Skyward Sword.
It wasn't because of motion controls, it is because it isn't what I expect from a zelda game. Until Nintendo releases a game in the vein of the first two Zeldas I will not buy. It can be in 3D just not play or be structured anything like the games since and including OoT.

TheExodu5

Banned
Lol at everyone saying they're done with Zelda. You will come back, you know it.

Link to the Past is one of my favorite games ever.

Ocarina of Time severely watered down the experience, and while it was still fairly enjoyable, I was not overly impressed by it (only managed to play it properly on the 3DS...could never stand the framerate of the N64 version). It's a good game, I'll give it that, but I do not feel it is an improvement over LttP in any way, as it took the same basic game and stretched it too thin in the name of making the game 3-4x longer.

Twilight Princess is one of the most boring games I have ever played as it took the watered down OoT experience and bogged it with awful storytelling and time wasting fetch quests.

Skyward Sword somehow managed to make the experience even worse by implementing inconsistent motion controls and the worst handholding I have seen in any game to date.

I have given Zelda many chances. While the core experience is solid and the dungeons are something fairly unique in gaming, the whole experience is bogged down by so much fat that the entire affair becomes a wholly undigestable mess.

ElFly

As long as they make the motion controls more responsive (had to put in an ocarina code to diminish the force needed for the slashes to register), and recover the IR aiming instead of the awful M+ aiming, it'd be ok.

There are bigger problems with zelda than the controls.

If they ditched the Wii-mote, I might agree, but the controller just doesn't seem capable. It took them 5 years to deliver Skyward Sword and it still has issues.

I'm betting on an improved Wiimote+ for the Wii U. I think they'll have legacy compatibility, but at this point, I'm betting on them shipping that console with the tablet and a state-of-the-art remote.

And that 5 year dev time had less to with tech than it had to do with Aonuma not having a fucking clue what to make a game about until 2008, I'll bet. :p

Top Bottom