• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Zelda series keeping motion controls"

Zomba13

Awesome. So glad they want to stick with them. Would be such a shame for them to take a big step backwards and go back to a pad.

Davey Cakes

This is a good thing. Skyward Sword's controls have their quirks, but everything is functional. Keeping motion controls around guarantees refinement in subsequent games.

Fugu

Nintendo's commitment to literally the worst part about Skyward Sword isn't admirable. In most respects, the absolute best that they can hope out of motion controls is that they will be as responsive as buttons. The swordplay stuff was neat and all but was a mixed bag because there are a lot less movement-attack combinations in SS than there were in TP. The Wii bowling incarnate stuff and the completely random and pointless motion controls that appear out of nowhere only serve to make the controls seem unresponsive.

peakish

Umm, sounds more like him just talking about his thoughts rather than making a definite statement. I'll gladly take more M+ in my Zeldas since they were great in SS, but these "news" seem a bit overblown.

Aru

Great news. I don't know if they can make good motion controls with the WiiU tablet, but they can still use the Wiimote Plus if they can't.
They should keep button controls for the handheld Zelda games (no more stylus BS please. OoT 3D is the perfect example of what they should do for portable Zelda games).

Phenomic

I'm okay with this.. I can only imagine they will get better over time. Skyward Sword had some issues yeah, but I think they could refine them and it would be close to 100%

LowParry

It would be nice if they could allow you to use classic style and new style of control types. If that's even possible. Ah well. I'll eventually get to SS.......whenever I get a Wii. :(

Gravijah

$100 says most of the people complaining haven't even played Skyward Sword.

i'm about 10 hours in now. the motion controls really don't add anything for me but frustration when they decide to break and i need to re-calibrate and i really do not enjoy the flying.

Link to the Past is one of my favorite games ever.

Ocarina of Time severely watered down the experience, and while it was still fairly enjoyable, I was not overly impressed by it (only managed to play it properly on the 3DS...could never stand the framerate of the N64 version). It's a good game, I'll give it that, but I do not feel it is an improvement over LttP in any way, as it took the same basic game and stretched it too thin in the name of making the game 3-4x longer.

Twilight Princess is one of the most boring games I have ever played as it took the watered down OoT experience and bogged it with awful storytelling and time wasting fetch quests.

Skyward Sword somehow managed to make the experience even worse by implementing inconsistent motion controls and the worst handholding I have seen in any game to date.

I have given Zelda many chances. While the core experience is solid and the dungeons are something fairly unique in gaming, the whole experience is bogged down by so much fat that the entire affair becomes a wholly undigestable mess.
You obviously don't like 3D Zelda games, why do you keep buying them? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just genuinely curious. Is it just because of your love for ALttP?

VerTiGo

Banned
Oh really? Do I need to take photos of the game in my possession and on the screen to prove it?

Even if you aren't the person particularly mentioned there's at least one post already that confirms some truth with blind bashing.

I personally loved the motion controls for swordplay. As someone mentioned earlier, use IR controls for aiming and navigation and plain ole analog control for swimming (even though that didn't bother me).

I rarely had issues with SS's controls. Especially when it came to the end of the game, at that point I had already learned how to work with the controls to get the desired results with little difficulty.

It's like saying that an arcade stick sucks for fighting games because someone can't pull off a shoryuken motion correctly. At that point you suck and not the game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fuck yes. Skyward Sword has the best use of motion controls ever, and is the most engaging and fun game I've played all year because of it.

Nintendo's commitment to literally the worst part about Skyward Sword isn't admirable. In most respects, the absolute best that they can hope out of motion controls is that they will be as responsive as buttons. The swordplay stuff was neat and all but was a mixed bag because there are a lot less movement-attack combinations in SS than there were in TP. The Wii bowling incarnate stuff and the completely random and pointless motion controls that appear out of nowhere only serve to make the controls seem unresponsive.

Motion controls is their "thing". Whether a person enjoys it or not has nothing to do with the fact that Nintendo's empire is currently built upon the concept of motion controls. They cannot have one of their flagship titles go..."Meh...you can play with or without motion controls."

It's crazy to think they wouldn't continue it.

Alex

I'm just sick of Aonuma's design work and foibles. I didn't care for the controls, I mean they're dead simple and really don't add anything but they don't really get in the way outside of some of the outlying bits like the Loft Wings, but it's hardly the primary thing that made me quit the game halfway through or so after hearing what awaited me and simply burning out.

Barring little quirks, nothing really new came through in Skyward Sword, sadly, just hot air. There's more fluff than ever and the real meat of the game, the dungeons, were quite a massive step down from Twilight Princess. Let someone else have a crack at the series and please don't let them have an infatuation with a vehicle.

Dascu

They won't

That would be so.... non-Nintendo. Though frankly I would be happy if they just keep the Zelda SS controls and totally ignore the tablet controller. That way they won't waste time re-inventing controls, which is what they've been doing these past few Zelda games.

I much as I expected to hate them, I think the motion controls work great for the game. There are a couple movements (like the bird flying) where they feel unnecessary but overall they added to my enjoyment of the game immensely.

That said, how in the world is this going to work on the U? There's no way that they can expect people to wield a wiimote, nunchuck and tablet all at the same time so does this mean that one on Nintendo's flagship titles is not going to use the system's main control method?

That would be so.... non-Nintendo. Though frankly I would be happy if they just keep the Zelda SS controls and totally ignore the tablet controller. That way they won't waste time re-inventing controls, which is what they've been doing these past few Zelda games.

Yeah, maybe it is un-Nintendo. But it's definitely my preference, too, I loved SS's controls. I think next time we see Link again, it'll be long enough after the Wii U launch that the time will be right for Nintendo to stop saying 'This tablet is AMAZINGGGGGGG' for every single game, and start going 'yeah, it's like if SS was on a PS3 or whatever, go nuts'.

Maxrunner

I'm just sick of Aonuma's design work and foibles. I didn't care for the controls, I mean they're dead simple and really don't add anything but they don't really get in the way outside of some of the outlying bits like the Loft Wings, but it's hardly the primary thing that made me quit the game halfway through or so after hearing what awaited me and simply burning out.

Barring little quirks, nothing really new came through in Skyward Sword, sadly, just hot air. There's more fluff than ever and the real meat of the game, the dungeons, were quite a massive step down from Twilight Princess. Let someone else have a crack at the series and please don't let them have an infatuation with a vehicle.

I've put 7 hours in Skyward Sword and i feel exactly the contrary, Twilight Princess was pure boredom compared to this....and i sure would like to know what not hot air for you...

If they could somehow add on a camera stick or something I would have no qualms. Evolution for the series is good.

Also, that means the Wii U will probably come with a wiimote? I don't think any other situation makes sense.

Fugu

Motion controls is their "thing". Whether a person enjoys it or not has nothing to do with the fact that Nintendo's empire is currently built upon the concept of motion controls. They cannot have one of their flagship titles go..."Meh...you can play with or without motion controls."

It's crazy to think they wouldn't continue it.
Yeah, and their "thing" is dumb so I can't wait for it to start losing them money so that their thing can once again become making very, very good Zelda games.

Apenheul

Great news for me. After Skyward Sword I have a hard time going back to Majora's Mask because the combat feels totally empty. And this is just the first time they tried to enrich the combat. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Lol at everyone saying they're done with Zelda. You will come back, you know it.

110610_darksiders_2.jpg

Not really.

You have to press one button. One. Button.
Almost every time I aim with an item I end up having to re-center the reticle. It's just kind of annoying because it doesn't happen in any other games where you aim and it's a frequent issue. I still enjoy the controls though.

peakish

This.

Now that they've got the basics down, they can spend time making more content like enemies, characters, items, etc.

Speaking of enemies, I'd be worried about if they can vary them enough in a sequel for motion controlled combat to be interesting the second time around. Besides overusing Bokoblins and Deku babas in the overworld SS had some good variation.

As for IR aiming, I preferred what they used since I didn't have to reposition my arm whenever using the bow. They really should make it an option, but for some reason Nintendo hates options in games...

MightyKAC

$100 says most of the people complaining haven't even played Skyward Sword.
I'm getting so sick and tired of people using this fucking lazy ass non-arguement.

"Well since you have a different opinion then I do, you must not know what you are talking about."

Vinci

Danish
Link to the Past is one of my favorite games ever.

Ocarina of Time severely watered down the experience, and while it was still fairly enjoyable, I was not overly impressed by it (only managed to play it properly on the 3DS...could never stand the framerate of the N64 version). It's a good game, I'll give it that, but I do not feel it is an improvement over LttP in any way, as it took the same basic game and stretched it too thin in the name of making the game 3-4x longer.

Twilight Princess is one of the most boring games I have ever played as it took the watered down OoT experience and bogged it with awful storytelling and time wasting fetch quests.

I have given Zelda many chances. While the core experience is solid and the dungeons are something fairly unique in gaming, the whole experience is bogged down by so much fat that the entire affair becomes a wholly undigestable mess.
I... I'm not alone... I've been given hell for years for these same opinions, though I am less forgiving of OoT than you are. I still consider it one of the biggest missteps in gaming history following what might well remain my favorite games of all time, LttP. I could not believe how boring Nintendo had made Zelda and still can't to this day.

Oh well. I will try SS at some point to see how the controls were executed and reserve judgment on them for now. But yeah, just had to give you a virtual high-five.

VerTiGo

Banned
I much as I expected to hate them, I think the motion controls work great for the game. There are a couple movements (like the bird flying) where they feel unnecessary but overall they added to my enjoyment of the game immensely.

That said, how in the world is this going to work on the U? There's no way that they can expect people to wield a wiimote, nunchuck and tablet all at the same time so does this mean that one on Nintendo's flagship titles is not going to use the system's main control method?

You are making the assumption that the Wii U tablet is going to be the main control method. It is really not. It's only Nintendo's evolution of the classic controller. New Super Mario Bros. Wii U will be played with Wiimotes.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I do find it funny how the Wii-U's biggest selling point is this new tablet, yet one of Nintendo's biggest franchises won't use it. Wasted opportunity.

Top Bottom