• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV: which version?

Which version of GTA4 are you buying?

Results are only viewable after voting.

McLovin

Karma said:
Zero, PS3 owners have said many times they are not interested in DLC and would never buy it.
I.. ah.. well..
fuck

5y3aohi.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT
I have both a 360 and PS3 but the decision is pretty easy. 360 version all the way thanks to live and DLC.

awesome to hear about the edge supposedly being given to the PS3 version...bravo R*

...unfortunately, because of the firing being mapped to the DSIII/Sixaxis triggers....that by default, makes me still have to keep my 360 version =/

...it really is that big a deal for me

pswii60

andrewfee said:
In the interest of not fucking up all the other GTA topics, how about we keep the 360 vs PS3 discussion in here seeing as that's what this topic ended up being about.

I'm still going to wait and see what other sites say before making my decision – IGN have been wrong in the past, and frankly a lot of the comparisons online are pretty inaccurate overall.

I'm completely torn now though:
Half my friends playing on PS3, half on 360.
Don't have a headset for PS3.
Custom soundtracks won't work on PS3.
Supposedly runs better on PS3.
10 hours+ DLC coming to 360.
360 controller is better for games like this.

I think I might have to pick up both and compare them myself. Argh.
Same here, torn. I've pre-ordered both so I can compare for myself, but even though PS3 is superior, all my mates are getting 360 version so will probably stick with that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My friend's almost launch-date 360 RRoDed last week:|

I should buy my PS3 close to the release of the game, but probably not day one.

andrewfee said:
2. Find out DLC is worthwhile and have to start all over again on 360. Get bored, annoyed with poorer performance before finishing DLC as a result.

I doubt they'd release DLC that required people to complete the game first for a game like this.

Mrbob

This is why I vote for a one console future.

My friends list is getting torn in half.

Now that I know the PS3 version runs better, I'm thinking about switching.

Then if I want more I'll take the leech plan and get it on 360.

_leech_ said:
I doubt they'd release DLC that required people to complete the game first for a game like this.

Dan Houser said it would be something akin to a new mission giving NPC.

Interestingly I've noticed a lot of references to Las Venturas in the in-game media (TV, Radio, Internet travel site) but that could be wishful thinking.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Think I'm gonna go with the PS3 version, and if I like the game enough :)lol) I'll get it on PC when that comes out. Main reason for the PS3, isn't the supposed technical shit, purely my flatmates only have PS3's so only way for me to run around Liberty City shooting the crap out of them x)

FrankT

Vote remains the same, 360 version, day 1. Too many irl friends and DLC to go otherwise for me. From what I've seen in-game from both versions I see no reason to change that plan now.

Eric WK

Have to change my vote. I've decided to sell my 360 and games to a friend so I can pick up a PS3 and GTA IV on Tuesday. There's no way I'm playing GTA IV with extra pop in and a few seconds extra load time.

Eric WK said:
Have to change my vote. I've decided to sell my 360 and games to a friend so I can pick up a PS3 and GTA IV on Tuesday. There's no way I'm playing GTA IV with extra pop in and a few seconds extra load time.

ERRRIIIIIIICCCCCCC

NAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(Save a spot for me in line. I'm done with this Pop-InBox Particularly60.)

Halka

Neo Member
Getting mine for PS3. My brothers and RL friends have PS3s, but most gaming board people I know have 360s.

RL > Internet people

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
ERRRIIIIIIICCCCCCC

NAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(Save a spot for me in line. I'm done with this Pop-InBox Particularly60.)

Just think of all the money we'll save once we're free from the horrors of Xbox Live!

PS3, Day one. If the DLC is REALLY compelling (and I'm talking fucking outstanding) AND MS has redesigned their hardware to be quieter and RROD proof, I'll pickup a new 360.

Eric WK said:
Just think of all the money we'll save once we're free from the horrors of Xbox Live!

UGH! I know.

Wait, what'd you say? I can't hear you too well. I think a jet plane is landing in my living room.

Oh, wait. Duh. It's just that stupid console I'm getting rid of.

This is my third apartment in a month. My landloards keep thinking I'm running a discount Airliner! In my apartment!

I mean, it's like, "Seriously? With the price of gas these days?"

FrankT

King_Slender said:
PS3, Day one. If the DLC is REALLY compelling (and I'm talking fucking outstanding) AND MS has redesigned their hardware to be quieter and RROD proof, I'll pickup a new 360.

You know the funny thing about this equation is watch the DLC push hardware for the month. Heh, that would be something else.

AgentOtaku said:
awesome to hear about the edge supposedly being given to the PS3 version...bravo R*

...unfortunately, because of the firing being mapped to the DSIII/Sixaxis triggers....that by default, makes me still have to keep my 360 version =/

...it really is that big a deal for me

Oh crap, they use them abominations to fire in the PS3 version? Well that just clinched it, its going to have to be 360 version then, I honestly wasn't sure till I heard that.

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
UGH! I know.

Wait, what'd you say? I can't hear you too well. I think a jet plane is landing in my living room.

This is my third apartment in a month. My landloards keep thinking I'm running a discount Airliner! In my apartment!

At least yours lasted a month. I can't get go a week without having to send mine back to Microsoft. And every time I have to deal with their horrible customer service agents.

Tuesday can't come soon enough.

bj00rn

Banned
I promised myself to get the best looking version, but with the difference being only slight I'll still go for the 360 version because of DLC and Xbox Live - And to a certain extent achivements.

Pimpwerx

I'll be buying the vastly superior PS3 version. Of course...all I have is the vastly superior PS3, so I don't have much of a choice. :D PEACE.

WinFonda

Pimpwerx said:
I'll be buying the vastly superior PS3 version. Of course...all I have is the vastly superior PS3, so I don't have much of a choice. :D PEACE.
:lol Thats what I find so amusing about this thread. So many people justifying/defending their purchasing decisions when in all likelihood, most of them don't have the choice to begin with.

Mrbob

BenjaminBirdie said:
UGH! I know.

Just think about all the money you are saving getting the game on DVD versus Blu Ray disc.

slewis7

I have both consoles. I only have Silver level Xbox Live service, so I will be getting the PS3 version in case I decide to try out the multi-player. Also, everything else being equal, I prefer playing games on the PS3 as it is quieter and takes more advantage of the hard drive. DLC is only a small factor for me since there is so much content without it.

D3VI0US

Man MS has really dropped the ball because there's shit for info on the DLC. Why even pay for it if you're not going to actually publicize it. Idiots.

stewacide

I'll be buying a 360 for this game to play my brother on Live. I'm breaking my sworn oath not to buy a 360 until they include standard Wifi (I'll end up bridging with my laptop which is incredibly incredibly lame)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
leaning and will probably shoot for the 360 version. I own both systems and I feel it would be a waste to buy the PS3 version knowing that I'm paying $50/year to use my 360 online. Might as well put my subscription to good use :)

By the way, will the PS3 version support voice chat and worldwide region multiplayer?

I also would like to know when do you guys suspect the PC version will be released?

Ill most likely order the PS3 version along with the 360 version which is already paid for.

Have a play of both versions, see which is better to my eye, on online play here in Australia.

Sell the unwanted version on ebay.

360 should have had an *optional install* option. Damn the Core console.

ascully

I have both systems but I am going with the 360 version as everyone on my friends list is going that way, I reckon live is going to explode next week though :p

Aske

Sounds like both versions are pretty similar on a technical level. Awesome news, and I can only hope it stands up to intensive tech-GAF scrutiny.

I'm glad that the PS3 has the slight edge, since it means I won't regret buying the game on my preferred system. I was imagining the games would be comparable, but that the 360 would have the graphical edge, in which case I'd have been forced to sacrifice performance for free multiplayer, or vice versa. That would have made the choice much harder, and if the game hadn't featured online I'd have bought it for 360.

But things being as they are, quality multiplayer modes than I can play for free trump DLC of unknown quality for me. When I know exactly what the DLC is and can judge its worth for myself, I may feel compelled to double-dip. I hope so, because more worthwhile GTA will make me happy.

Tieno

Change undecided to > PS3 version.

Purely because it's region free and costs less to me. Technical differences don't matter that much to me when they're so small, so I might have bought the 360 version based on GAF Halo crew on my friendslist. Then again, I don't know how much I'll be playing MP and I really need more games to put in my PS3.

AmMortal

Banned
PS3

region free,

Free Online

No RROD

No Disc Scratch (happened to me with Gears of War etc.) Blu-ray's Scratch AND fire resistant.

Pay for Online.

Chance of RROD

Chance of DvD Disc scratching.

You Choose...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Warrior300 said:
PS3

region free,

Free Online

No RROD

No Disc Scratch (happened to me with Gears of War etc.) Blu-ray's Scratch AND fire resistant.

Pay for Online.

Chance of RROD

Chance of DvD Disc scratching.

Episodic Content (DLC)

Custom Soundtracks

You Choose...
I'm buying the PS3 version, but let's be realistic here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
m0dus said:
I'll be honest, I was thinking along similar lines re: technical differences until I noticed Hilary wrote the IGN review. I trust his perspective on framerate hitches and popup about as far as I can throw him, so I'll be judging for myself which is the best looking version.
I think on the IGN GTA4 podcast the rest of the crew agreed with him.

Racer30

Tieno said:
Change undecided to > PS3 version.

Purely because it's region free and costs less to me. Technical differences don't matter that much to me when they're so small, so I might have bought the 360 version based on GAF Halo crew on my friendslist. Then again, I don't know how much I'll be playing MP and I really need more games to put in my PS3.

Small? I`ve read somewhere that it loads up to 25 seconds every time you die? Anyone knows the load times on the PS3 version? (when you die)?

Top Bottom