• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Microsoft not just end this generation earlier than planned?

Anth0ny

Nintendo and Microsoft should totally launch new consoles in 2016 and 2017 respectively. Dat 4 year cycle
for the losers

Krilekk

Banned
Microsoft's main issue is that they alienated a large swath of their core fan-base. Releasing another console this soon would only further show that all they are blinded by greed. This isn't to say they shouldn't do what makes the most financial sense, but it'd be a very hard argument to make that they should pull another move which certainly would be precieved that way.

They can only do this with a cheap upgrade program for existing customers. But what they really need to do is cut the price by $100 to 299 for the kinectless console, step up their game considerably with games with gold and get back in that spot where they offer the best value for money. To buy an X1 over a PS4 at the same price you have to be stupid. And I say that as an Xbox fanboy.

Hubble

Microsoft's strategy is clearly bundling top games. Madden, COD, Assassins Creed are some of the most popular titles. If that doesn't work, they'll cut the price to $299 first before starting next gen.

Microsoft's strategy is clearly bundling top games. Madden, COD, Assassins Creed are some of the most popular titles. If that doesn't work, they'll cut the price to $299 first before starting next gen.

Microsoft has no reason hit the reset button any time soon. The only people supporting this idea are hardcore Xbox fans that are having a hard time watching their console of choice get beaten badly.

Hindle

Banned
Microsofts main aim going forward needs to be recreating the kind of buzz and affection they had from fans in the early to mid years of the 360.

They can do this by bringing the exclusives, every type of game imaginable. They should bolster thier first party, by both buying and creating new studios. Turn Rare into the worlds greatest dev again, secure 3rd party exclusives, bring back legacy IP like Banjo or PD. Just create real fanfare. Make games in every genre, RPGs, JRPGs, platformers you name it.

Continue to upgrade the OS and make Live the best place to game. Bring back the X events as again, it creates fanfare.

They do all of this over the next few years, and the last 9 months will never happen again for Xbox.

newbong95

After launching xbox one in more countries and still lagging behind ps4 sales wise , i think microsoft will cut the price either $349 or agressively to $299 next holiday i.e ,in 2015 and bundle halo 5 . This move will make xbox one sell more though microsoft will take a loss at hardware . Like nintendo did with 3ds launching with mario 3d land

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
They can do this by bringing the exclusives, every type of game imaginable. They should bolster thier first party, by both buying and creating new studios. Turn Rare into the worlds greatest dev again, secure 3rd party exclusives, bring back legacy IP like Banjo or PD. Just create real fanfare. Make games in every genre, RPGs, JRPGs, platformers you name it.

I feel like this paragraph is this gif in words:

3DZTuXX.gif

It is a great dream to have, but it's just a wet dream currently.

Hindle

Banned
I feel like this paragraph is this gif in words:

3DZTuXX.gif

It is a great dream to have, but it's just a wet dream currently.

Phils recent comments about him wanting to rival Nintendo tell me that they're serious. It's the reason why I wrote that paragraph. MS are in the posistion where they basically need to start providing reasons for people to like Xbox again.

Edit. Nintendo have survived numerous X1 style situations, (the Wii U, GCN,N64) due to thier first party being so strong. It is the type of comment I wanted to hear from Phil.

GHG

Gold Member
Phils recent comments about him wanting to rival Nintendo tell me that they're serious. It's the reason why I wrote that paragraph. MS are in the posistion where they basically need to start providing reasons for people to like Xbox again.

Edit. Nintendo have survived numerous X1 style situations, (the Wii U, GCN,N64) due to thier first party being so strong. It is the type of comment I wanted to hear from Phil.

The issue is that actions speak louder than words. It speaks volumes when MSFT would rather pump billions into purchasing minecraft rather than invest that money into their 1st parties for the long term.

They still have it the wrong way round from the "investment" perspective IMO.

Hindle

Banned
The issue is that actions speak louder than words. It speaks volumes when MSFT would rather pump billions into purchasing minecraft rather than invest that money into their 1st parties for the long term.

They still have it the wrong way round from the "investment" perspective IMO.

Mojang are now part of Xbox first party studios, and any future Minecraft game will be exclusive to Xbox. So they did bolster thier studios there. Console exclusive anyway.

But more needs to be done.

I reckon this generation is going to be shorter than the last anyway, in terms of when we see successors released from all manufacturers. I give it 4 more years.

Green Yoshi

Why not? Long lifecycles are not that attractive anymore. It was the right move to release the 360 only four years after the original Xbox 1.

omonimo

Banned
Mojang are now part of Xbox first party studios, and any future Minecraft game will be exclusive to Xbox. So they did bolster thier studios there. Console exclusive anyway.

You haven't understood at all the deal with MS & Mojang.They aren't like a first party, they sold the copyright of minecraft. I think when you talk about MS you need to be a bit less 'enthusiastic'because you completely mislead the reality.

Etnos

Banned
Fun fact: The xbone is cheaper here in mexico, 7k pesos, around 50 dlls cheaper than a PS4, I think it has to do with some wizardry MS is pulling of with import taxes. I know it is also cheaper in Canada and Brasil. Fun fact number 2: ps4 is still outselling the xbone here.

IMO if they want to boost sales they need to make a redesign (sleek slim version) and launch a new marketing campaign, seriously even here a lot of people think you can't play used games on the bone, they need some sort of re-launch of the same console.

Personally I don't worry about it, the xbone is doing alright in perspective. I own the 3 major consoles but prefer the xbone, they don't need to outsell the ps4 to remain viable, so whatever..

I think the entire premise of this thread is crazy but it got me thinking about the Dreamcast. anyone know about a recap/documentary of what happened there?

Etnos

Banned
I think the entire premise of this thread is crazy but it got me thinking about the Dreamcast. anyone know about a recap/documentary of what happened there?

The way I see it, the real problem was the Jaguar... Sega put himself in a weak position with that P.O.S

Please. Don't act like Microsoft bought Mojang for their talent. Their leader even flew the coop before the ink even dried. MS paid $2 billion for Minecraft, period. Do you know how many games of various budgets could have been funded with $2 billion? Instead, they buy the rights to a game that was already on every system except Nintendo's. $2 billion could subsidize a $100 price cut on the next 20 million Xbones sold, by which time manufacturing processes could improve to reduce the cost of building Xbones. In fact, the Minecraft purchase was probably to bolster Windows phones and tablets more than helping Xbox, because there are far better ways that $2 billion could be used to bolster Xbox than buying Minecraft.

Why is everyone so worried about MS? The Xbox One is here to stay and will get games for it till the end of this gen. Updates are coming on a monthly basis. MS is still buying 3rd party exclusives by the boatload. They have plenty of exclusives being developed by internal studios.

Only time anyone should worry about their Xbox One is if MS stops doing any of these things. Even then multiplats will still be released for it.

Unless sales dip to 5 figures, then might be a problem. But man what is up with all the doom and gloom? The X1 will sell fine over the holidays.

bGanci

Banned
Will they? They've already trashed their profit margins trying and failing to pull ahead of PS4 this year. I do wonder how many more ridiculous price cuts MS upper management will greenlight before they notice that the profit forecasts for the Xbone division have been totally derailed and they start to lose interest.

It hasn't even been a year yet....Sony made a profit with PS3...and MS is doing awesome work with their updates and exclusive line up...Yeah i believe it's a no brainer in my opinion

omonimo

Banned
People need to stop comparing so much and realise the One is still a big success at the moment.
Yeah right. Change the initial strategy it's sign of a big success. Xbone not bombed like the wiiu but it's far away to be a big success from the MS perspective.
In any case I'm expect MS will kill it before than expected just in time to launch a new hardware.

SparkTR

That deal was primarily targeted at strengthening their tablet line, they're going to make any Minecraft games exclusive to Xbox.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
And Xbox largely dominated last gen everywhere but Japan. Console sales started to level out but software stayed selling stronger on 360.

No. It dominated North America and the UK. Pretty sure the rest of the world was Sonyland. Japan was significant last gen, but on it's own, it wasn't enough to help the PS3 catch the 360. Other territories played a big factor.

This is a variable that MS can really start fighting on. See Tomb Raider and Minecraft.

Tomb Raider? No. It's a timed exclusive. Other than Diehard Tomb Raider fans (and I'm not sure how many there are judging by the last game's reception), it's not going to do much. Minecraft is probable, but we don't know what Microsoft's plans for it are yet. They might prefer to make as much money as possible by releasing/supporting it on everything as opposed to making it fully exclusive to MS platforms. It'll be timed exclusive no doubt, but the jury's still out on how definite that exclusivity is.

So it should have been doing better than 360 right off the bat, right?

What? No. But a cheap (compared to the market at the time), well performing blu ray player was a desirable feature at the time.

Hindle

Banned
That deal was primarily targeted at strengthening their tablet line, they're going to make any Minecraft games exclusive to Xbox.

I meant console exclusive, so no Playstation platforms basically. It will be on everything else though.

Edit. I wouldn't rule out Xbox getting its own specific games in the series as well.

Hindle

Banned
Please. Don't act like Microsoft bought Mojang for their talent. Their leader even flew the coop before the ink even dried. MS paid $2 billion for Minecraft, period. Do you know how many games of various budgets could have been funded with $2 billion? Instead, they buy the rights to a game that was already on every system except Nintendo's. $2 billion could subsidize a $100 price cut on the next 20 million Xbones sold, by which time manufacturing processes could improve to reduce the cost of building Xbones. In fact, the Minecraft purchase was probably to bolster Windows phones and tablets more than helping Xbox, because there are far better ways that $2 billion could be used to bolster Xbox than buying Minecraft.

Phil Spencer was the guy who did the Minecraft purchase, so it's obvious the gaming division have big plans for the series.

Why is everyone so worried about MS? The Xbox One is here to stay and will get games for it till the end of this gen. Updates are coming on a monthly basis. MS is still buying 3rd party exclusives by the boatload. They have plenty of exclusives being developed by internal studios.

Only time anyone should worry about their Xbox One is if MS stops doing any of these things. Even then multiplats will still be released for it.

Unless sales dip to 5 figures, then might be a problem. But man what is up with all the doom and gloom? The X1 will sell fine over the holidays.
Frankly the reason most seem to be worried in this thread is that the Xbone might be successful. Of course first place is best but a profitable second place isn't a failure.

omonimo

Banned
I meant console exclusive, so no Playstation platforms basically. It will be on everything else though.

Edit. I wouldn't rule out Xbox getting its own specific games in the series as well.

Can you prove something of what you said, or they are just talks? Mojang hasn't an exclusive deal with MS for the future games from what we know. It's just minecraft in the MS hands. They haven't a deal how first party. It's quite different.

Frankly the reason most seem to be worried in this thread is that the Xbone might be successful. Of course first place is best but a profitable second place isn't a failure.

Nah, spending a few more billion dollars developing and launching a new console sounds like a much better idea than having a profitable console.

People be crazy.

I'm not sure whether Microsoft will even have another console but if they do, they're better off spending a few years fixing up their weaknesses and letting their biggest mistakes fade from memory than doing something stupid and rushing a console out long before one's needed.

gaming_noob

Can you prove something of what you said, or they are just talks? Mojang hasn't an exclusive deal with MS for the future games from what we know. It's just minecraft in the MS hands. They haven't a deal how first party. It's quite different.

Mojang belongs to MS. No announcements yet on the games being developed at the time of aquisition.

Arnie

The funny thing about all this is I mostly use my PS4 for Netflix.

If the Xbox One would've come to market with a BT Sport app and all the other on demand TV trimmings (In the UK) I might've bitten. As it was they half baked what was a very specific recipe and left the end result feeling inedible.

I wouldn't rule out getting an Xbox One down the line, especially with all the great things Microsoft do to move the system on and add features per month, so to the OP's point we're nowhere near the territory of needing a generational restart.

Sony has a part to play in all this as well. Momentum is so key, PS4 had a brilliant start, I think the new software update is seriously needed.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Frankly the reason most seem to be worried in this thread is that the Xbone might be successful.

I think it's the other way around. "Unsuccessful", taking a hard beating and killing the brand. The console is currently successful. Not just PS4 successful which is the issue some have.

Darius

Banned
Depends on what earlier than expected means, earlier than last gens overextented lifecycle, or earlier by the more common 5-6 year lifecycle. In general I don´t think that this would be a bad idea, considering that Sony wouldn´t be to eager to substitute a console that is doing well. This could lead to a nice timeframe for having the most powerful system available, something that right now is one of the biggest selling points for PS4. But it has to be more than a year earlier than the competition to be more of a selling point this time around.

Mr Lakitu

Banned
I want to add something: This whole "PS4 is more powerful" than Xbox One thing is interesting, but if people are really that concerned about power, why didn't they get a PC? Is it because the cost? I'm fairly confident anyone can build a PC or even buy one for the same or just slightly more than the cost of a console.

I played Battlefield exclusively on consoles since Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. Everyone who ever plays Battlefield knows that the best version to play is on PC. But I still had fun playing on Consoles. This goes all the way back to Nintendo and Sega and will probably continue in the future. We as children didn't argue which was better between Sega and Nintendo, we went over to our friends houses and played both. So in the end, does it really matter?

No. As long as the game is fun and you're having a good time.

Battlefield 5 with controller support and aim assist on pc... Im praying

Hopefully titanfall on pc is the start of a new trend

Jack cw

Success? I mean global sales are comparable to WiiU sales so far. Dont think anyone would call that a success. The thing is dead outside of NA and US.

Mr Lakitu

Banned
So MS will basically pay for developing a system, where they host 2 platforms of direct competitors that offer some the same content MS sells on XBL.
Some of this content even for less money!

06eaa264bdc2349ac6c41dedde6a4b18f162083b1efb477bdb120b1b7ed1cc42.jpg

They had forza running on pc a while back now... If xbone games could be played on windows 10 pc then it would be huge

Is there a possibility it can use the xbones dashboard via client/app or something?

Nzyme32

Phil Spencer was the guy who did the Minecraft purchase, so it's obvious the gaming division have big plans for the series.

I think you are wrong on every point. For a start, Satya Nadela is guy who had the say in what happened and will happen, after all this is his first acquisition as MS CEO, and he made a very clear point about his intentions http://news.microsoft.com/2014/09/15/minecraft-to-join-microsoft/

You don't spend $2 billion+ just to then neuter part of the community making minecraft what it is. As Nadella says, "Minecraft is more than a great game franchise – it is an open world platform, driven by a vibrant community we care deeply about, and rich with new opportunities for that community and for Microsoft".

This will be all about expanding that existing community, not curtailing it or creating "exclusives" for xbox. Expect new games on every platform every time (yes, that includes Sony and Playstation), and expect lots of licensed stuff from toys to films.

I think they should compete on price. Launching earlier doesn't really help if Sony can take the performance crown a year later. Sit this Gen out try to minimize the sales gap as much as possible and launch with an competitive in performance console when next cycle should start. Something like 360 vs ps3 again.

They had forza running on pc a while back now... If xbone games could be played on windows 10 pc then it would be huge

Is there a possibility it can use the xbones dashboard via client/app or something?

Are you serious?
What would be the "huge" effect this would have for MS?
Sell more Windows 10 upgrade licenses at 29€ each, while taking away reasons to buy a 399€ console plus Live subscription.

(if all X1 games would have to run on Win 10, many people would not be able to upgrade to it, because a 300€ notebook won't run Horizon2)

Top Bottom