• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

I'm getting a serious case of crushed blacks with the new drivers:

I'm also seeing a weird image retention-like issue when moving the camera, but if memory serves it's because temporal SMAA doesn't play nicely with SLI (Watch Dogs behaves the same but at least regular SMAA is an in-game option).

2x 2GB 670s, for what it's worth.

I'm having the exact same issues with 2x 2GB 670s =\

The game appears to jump between full-screen and windowed when it is launching, not sure if that is causing some issues.

Doh!, I can't install the new drivers until tonight but was hoping to avoid such issues with my 670's. If you change to TXAA, does it resolve the crushed blacks? Please let me know if you figure out a solution(s).

Mohonky

Had thre game running pretty good but for some reason at random it decides to play up. It seems to be something to do with vsync and the frame rate.

If I have vsync on, anytime the game drops below 60fps it basically locks the game to 30fps and judders like shit. Then when it seems to stabilise at 60fps it comes fine, then drops back to 30 and again locks it in and judders.

So I turn it off, get screen tearing and mostly +50fps, some dips to mid 40s and periods of 60fps.

Turned vsync off in game, tried it in nvidia control panel, did the same thing as in game :/ Have it on adaptive now but it still tears pccasionally and that pisses me off to no end.

Changing other settings in video settings dont seem to i prove a lot.

Why did they not include a 30fps lock that didnt judder like shit?

Cincaid

Getting a generic Windows error every time I try to start a new campaign (Far Cry 4 have stopped working). No idea what to do. :(

GTX970
i5-3570K
16GB

The Cowboy

@Mohonky

Have you turned on triple buffering?, its in the advanced options menu at the bottom in game. I set vsync forced on in NVidia control panel, and then set the in game triple buffering to on (standard mode) and i don't get major drops.

For some reason they put triple buffering (2 types of it) in a separate menu away from all the other vsync/res options.

Mohonky

@Mohonky

Have you turned on triple buffering?, its in the advanced options menu at the bottom in game. I set vsync forced on in NVidia control panel, and then set the in game triple buffering to on (standard mode) and i don't get major drops.

For some reason they put triple buffering (2 types of it) in a separate menu away from all the other vsync/res options.

I was thinking that might be a big performance hit the triple buffering? Will give it a go.

Cant believe there is no proper 16:10 support especially when Far Cry 3 had it although its nice to see triple buffering in the options

garath

@Mohonky

Try borderless windowed mode too

Unain

Btw if you want to skip the intro (which are waaaaaay too long and you can't skip with any keypress).

Add -skipintro to your FarCry4.exe shortcut.

You can't add them to your uplay FC4 shortcut, you have to make a specific shortcut to FarCry4.exe for this to work.

No more waiting 10 mins to even play.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
344.75 Far Cry 4 Game Ready driver is live. FC4, DA:I, MGS:GZ, WoW, they're all covered, and we've also added MFAA, a new anti-aliasing technique that runs faster than MSAA. Full details here: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-344-75-whql-driver-released

Is MFAA something you have to activate from NVIDIA control panel, or will the option pop up in games?

Via NVCPL. Process detailed in the link above.

Oh very nice indeed looks like I will be downloading the new drivers then and giving this a shot.

Also just a quick question Andy, I notice that antialiasing transparency through NVCP is actually making a difference in unity (Normally I have it on as standard for all games at x8 because it doesn't seem to cause any framerate issues or refuses to work with the games I play, but it is causing a good 7-10fps hit on the overall framerate with unity)

Would you recommend just keeping it off in general for gaming at 1080p? Or just using the multisample setting? (GTX 980 here core clock @ 4984 mem clock @ 8002 and my cpu is 3970x at 4.6.

I have never really seen an effective guide on what difference it actually makes? Is it pointless to use when combined with DSR for example?

I haven't tested that in ACU, but in general it only works a small selection of games. If it is working, it could certainly be having a positive impact, even when combined with DSR.

I think you have to set the game to use MSAA and when supported, MFAA will be used to enhance MSAA.

Yep, that's correct.

Isn't MFAA a budget AA solution?

Nope. Hardware AA, similar to MSAA.

riflen

Had thre game running pretty good but for some reason at random it decides to play up. It seems to be something to do with vsync and the frame rate.

If I have vsync on, anytime the game drops below 60fps it basically locks the game to 30fps and judders like shit. Then when it seems to stabilise at 60fps it comes fine, then drops back to 30 and again locks it in and judders.

So I turn it off, get screen tearing and mostly +50fps, some dips to mid 40s and periods of 60fps.

Turned vsync off in game, tried it in nvidia control panel, did the same thing as in game :/ Have it on adaptive now but it still tears pccasionally and that pisses me off to no end.

Everything you've written is completely normal and precisely how games will behave when they employ double-buffering and you enable Vsync on a 60Hz display.

If the game features triple-buffering support, you should enable it, as the other poster suggests. Triple-Buffering with Vsync should allow the frame rate to fluctuate, while maintaining sync with the display and therefore avoiding tearing.

Triple-Buffering with Vsync's only detrimental effects are a negligible increase in video memory usage and increased latency between player inputs and image display.

Adaptive Vsync is an alternative approach, designed to stop the juddering that happens when you get dropped to 30fps. In your case, when the PC cannot maintain 60fps, Vsync is dynamically disabled, causing tearing, but allowing the framerate to change freely. If or when the PC returns to a 60fps rate, Vsync is re-enabled.
The advantage of Adaptive Vsync over triple-buffered Vsync, is that it can be forced for almost all games, whereas triple-buffering support is very rare in games today.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Doh!, I can't install the new drivers until tonight but was hoping to avoid such issues with my 670's. If you change to TXAA, does it resolve the crushed blacks? Please let me know if you figure out a solution(s).

Disabling AA didn't help with the crushed blacks but it did mitigate the temporal image retention issue for the most part (I'm guessing it didn't go away entirely because there's a temporal component to the post-process effects option, which is currently set to Ultra).

Try borderless window and see if it fixes that. I had similar issues in FC3 which went away after that setting.

Cincaid

What file is responsible? View problem details and look for Fault Module Name.

I'm really not getting a lot of information, this is all I'm seeing after the loading screen:

KEMtktK.jpg

Entire process:
1) Start game from uPlay
2) Logo movies and stuff run just fine
3) Main Menu loads fine, I can change options etc.
4) Click new Campaign > Offline Campaign > Normal
5) Game loads, then immediately crashes like in the screenshot above

Edit:
I have the latest Nvidia drivers (released today) and latest game patch. I've also run the "validate local files"-option in uPlay, which said I had "numerous corrupt files" (even though I haven't done anything with any files since initial download), and then uPlay downloaded those files again. It didn't exactly help anything though.

Serandur

Sorry if it's been answered, only got a brief minute; Is SLI working nicely with the game? Got it downloading while I'm away, hoping it'll play nice with my machine when I get back.

Akronis

I'm really not getting a lot of information, this is all I'm seeing after the loading screen:

Entire process:
1) Start game from uPlay
2) Logo movies and stuff run just fine
3) Main Menu loads fine, I can change options etc.
4) Click new Campaign > Offline Campaign > Normal
5) Game loads, then immediately crashes like in the screenshot above

Edit:
I have the latest Nvidia drivers (released today) and latest game patch. I've also run the "validate local files"-option in uPlay, which said I had "numerous corrupt files" (even though I haven't done anything with any files since initial download), and then uPlay downloaded those files again. It didn't exactly help anything though.

Go find where the INIs are stored and see if you can delete all of those. Probably Documents > My Games.

Maybe just try making your resolution native and leave all other settings alone and try playing.

riflen

Edit:

Run checks on the file systems of all your disks.

Stupid question guys, I finally had the chance to start my download for Far Cry 4,I noticed Uplay says 31GB,that is a pretty big difference compared to Far Cry 3.(Nearly 20GB difference)

I was just curious is this game much bigger then Far Cry 3? or is this because of new technology?(curious as I need to Install every new game on my SSD)

Cincaid

Go find where the INIs are stored and see if you can delete all of those. Probably Documents > My Games.

Maybe just try making your resolution native and leave all other settings alone and try playing.

Deleted the files, didn't touch any options, still crashing at the same spot. :(

Run checks on the file systems of all your disks.

Sorry for a dumb question, but how do I do that? Besides, I can run plenty of other stuff just fine, it's just FC4 that's bugging out. :(

Akronis

Sorry for a dumb question, but how do I do that? Besides, I can run plenty of other stuff just fine, it's just FC4 that's bugging out. :(

Open Command Prompt and type "chkdsk /r"

Should check all volumes on your PC and fix whatever issues there are. May take a long time though.

EDIT: It also may require you to reboot your PC if the volume is being used.

Vuze

Stupid question guys, I finally had the chance to start my download for Far Cry 4,I noticed Uplay says 31GB,that is a pretty big difference compared to Far Cry 3.(Nearly 20GB difference)

I was just curious is this game much bigger then Far Cry 3? or is this because of new technology?(curious as I need to Install every new game on my SSD)
I don't think it's much bigger (obviously haven't finished it yet but from what I've heard and seen), most likely higher res / higher quality cutscenes and larger textures I guess.

Cincaid

Well, the game just started downloading a 9.4GB patch, so I'll see if that fixes stuff, haha.

Thanks a lot for the help anyway guys. :)

I don't think it's much bigger (obviously haven't finished it yet but from what I've heard and seen), most likely higher res / higher quality cutscenes and larger textures I guess.

I figured as much, thank you for taking the time to answer I guess since I have not played much of Far Cry 3 I'll just move onto Far Cry 4 as I heard they are very similar in the gameplay department with a different environment setting.

Gibbo

Anyone having a problem with sound via DTS/Dolby Digital live? I'm not getting any sound at all in the title screen, and during gameplay. Same shit as Watchdogs which was never patched.

pestul

I'm about to try the new driver. Very happy with the performance on my i7 920 @4.2GHz and GTX 970. I have everything on NVidia/Ultra settings except for AO on SSBC and SMAA. Looks great.. any input on the experience of SSBC vs. HBAO+. I looked at the official Geforce guide for FC4 and really the performance difference seems to make SSBC more worthwhile to me at minimal quality loss (+5fps on average). I get 50-60FPS @1440p with these settings and alphacoverage disabled in the gamerprofile.xml.

EDIT: Nm, went back to page 3 and saw a great discussion on SSBC vs. HBAO+. I can confirm too that HBAO+ does look distinctly better up close, whereas SSBC is performing admirably in wide distance shots. Tough call there.. I'm really liking the extra fps with SSBC though. It will be interesting to see how it advances.

Anyone tried MFAA yet? I'll go and try it.

garath

I'm about to try the new driver. Very happy with the performance on my i7 920 @4.2GHz and GTX 970. I have everything on NVidia/Ultra settings except for AO on SSBC and SMAA. Looks great.. any input on the experience of SSBC vs. HBAO+. I looked at the official Geforce guide for FC4 and really the performance difference seems to make SSBC more worthwhile to me at minimal quality loss (+5fps on average). I get 50-60FPS @1440p with these settings and alphacoverage disabled in the gamerprofile.xml.

EDIT: Nm, went back to page 3 and saw a great discussion on SSBC vs. HBAO+. I can confirm too that HBAO+ does look distinctly better up close, whereas SSBC is performing admirably in wide distance shots. Tough call there.. I'm really liking the extra fps with SSBC though. It will be interesting to see how it advances.

Anyone tried MFAA yet? I'll go and try it.

Surprisingly, Farcry 4 isn't on the list of supported games for MFAA yet :(

Lettuce

i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz
16GB Ram
7970 3GB

At struggling to hit 60fps @1440p even on medium settings......wtf is going on with this game

344.75 Far Cry 4 Game Ready driver is live. FC4, DA:I, MGS:GZ, WoW, they're all covered, and we've also added MFAA, a new anti-aliasing technique that runs faster than MSAA. Full details here: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-344-75-whql-driver-released

Via NVCPL. Process detailed in the link above.

I haven't tested that in ACU, but in general it only works a small selection of games. If it is working, it could certainly be having a positive impact, even when combined with DSR.

Yep, that's correct.

Nope. Hardware AA, similar to MSAA.

Mr Nvidia Chap!

For my 780Ti should i go with 2xTXAA as the chart suggests or go with the new MFAA at 2x?

Noticing more and more weird stuff.

There's a significant, regular stutter that is unaffected by framerate. Even when framerate is perfectly fixed, you can notice the movement isn't smooth at all.

Just strafe looking the grass in front of you and you can see the movement is far from smooth. Again even if the fps counter is showing no frames being dropped at all.

Then, it seems the actual stuttering that happens when you move around, seems mostly fixed by going in the config files and change this:
DisableLoadingMip0="0"

Setting this to 1 seems to reduce significantly the stuttering, but I'm not sure what effect it has. It's possible that it prevents the game from loading mipmaps, meaning that textures go from better resolution to lower resolution in a harsher way.

But it's barely noticeable and if it fixes the stuttering well worth the side-effect.

Cincaid

Well, I've now done everything in my knowledge (thanks again those who tried to help me), but the game is still crashing when I try to start a new campaign. My last resort now is to uninstall and delete all local files and re-download the entire game, maybe something went wrong with my preloading. Extremely annoying either way. :(

There's a significant, regular stutter that is unaffected by framerate. Even when framerate is perfectly fixed, you can notice the movement isn't smooth at all.
Quick test: lower your texture resolution to Medium (i know you don't want to do this for the long run)... and see if the stuttering you are talking about goes away.

Mohonky

Similar experience with my 670. The only graphical faults ive had are the into cinematic running poorly (lots of tearing) and while driving I get hitching, which I assume is buffering. Other than that, the game is playing very well with setting higher than yours.

Honestly I cant explain it, some times I turn it on and it runs really well, sometimes i turn it on and its a stuttering mess.

I ended up forcing vsync in nvidia, disabling in game, tried triple buffering in game, tried borderless, then back to full screen etc......somewhere between pissing about with borderless and triple buffering it started running really well again. Knocked global settings to medium and was getting a locked 60fps. So I started bumping things up and ended up with more stuff on than I was running before (godrays on ehanced, everything high except texture and shadows etc) and am now at a point I am hitting a near solid 50+ at all times, no stutter and no tearing, so its running better than it ever was before. What changed I dont know but it seems to keep doing this, one play session its fine and has room to spare, the next its a stuttering mess. I dont know whether coming in and out of borderless to fullscreen back and forward did anything but it seems better for the moment.

Also all my stuff is stock speed, dont like overclocking, too much of a noob.

it does support it but it has black bars top and bottom as its a 16:9 game
I see... yeah, that's dumb. Too bad 16:10 monitors are less and less common. I like the extra screen real estate... honestly didn't notice the black bars while playing last night (im dumb).

Gibbo

Just wanted to check if anyone here uses Dolby Digital Live (DDL) or DTS PC? And if you're having any issues with the sound in FC4?

Mohonky

Everything you've written is completely normal and precisely how games will behave when they employ double-buffering and you enable Vsync on a 60Hz display.

If the game features triple-buffering support, you should enable it, as the other poster suggests. Triple-Buffering with Vsync should allow the frame rate to fluctuate, while maintaining sync with the display and therefore avoiding tearing.

Triple-Buffering with Vsync's only detrimental effects are a negligible increase in video memory usage and increased latency between player inputs and image display.

Adaptive Vsync is an alternative approach, designed to stop the juddering that happens when you get dropped to 30fps. In your case, when the PC cannot maintain 60fps, Vsync is dynamically disabled, causing tearing, but allowing the framerate to change freely. If or when the PC returns to a 60fps rate, Vsync is re-enabled.
The advantage of Adaptive Vsync over triple-buffered Vsync, is that it can be forced for almost all games, whereas triple-buffering support is very rare in games today.

The weird part for me though is I usually always use vsync, yet I have never seen a game lock and hold onto 30fps quite like this was. Maybe because the other games were maintaining 60fps far more often.

Im crashing to desktop when the campaign is loading. Just installed the newest driver, other games are working fine.

i5 2500 k @ 4.0 ghz
gtx 970
8gb ram
samsung ssd

Top Bottom