• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

Just wanted to check if anyone here uses Dolby Digital Live (DDL) or DTS PC? And if you're having any issues with the sound in FC4?
My soundcard is an HT Omega eClaro, and i'm pushing 5.1 DTS through a digital optical cable to my Onkyo receiver, without issue?
Symptoms on your end?

Quick test: lower your texture resolution to Medium (i know you don't want to do this for the long run)... and see if the stuttering you are talking about goes away.

There are TWO kinds of STUTTERING:

- one is the hitching that is especially annoying when you drive around. Fix is: lower textures to medium (terrible) OR edit GamerProfile.xml file, change DisableLoadingMip0="0" to DisableLoadingMip0="1"

- the other stuttering is unrelated to FPS, it is constant, and it happens even with everything turned to low, with or without vsynch. It's a constant non-smooth movement that you notice if you look at something fixed and move around it. It's as if the movement of the character is sampled lower than the fps.

garath

Well, I've now done everything in my knowledge (thanks again those who tried to help me), but the game is still crashing when I try to start a new campaign. My last resort now is to uninstall and delete all local files and re-download the entire game, maybe something went wrong with my preloading. Extremely annoying either way. :(

Im crashing to desktop when the campaign is loading. Just installed the newest driver, other games are working fine.

i5 2500 k @ 4.0 ghz
gtx 970
8gb ram
samsung ssd

Crashing when loading sucks :( Just to be on the safe side, I'd do a fresh reboot, shut down any running processes that aren't necessary (i.e. stop the afterburners, the logitech helper programs, etc, etc) and verify all drivers are up to date - specifically sound card and video card. Video card drivers should also be removed completely and reinstalled just in case.

I've found all sorts of reasons over the years for games crashing on startup but ones that stick in my mind were out of date sound card drivers and programs like a logitech setpoint.

aravuus

- one is the hitching that is especially annoying when you drive around. Fix is: lower textures to medium (terrible) OR edit GamerProfile.xml file, change DisableLoadingMip0="0" to DisableLoadingMip0="1"

Hey thanks, I'm not sure if it fixed my stuttering completely but it's certainly considerably less annoying now when I'm driving around

What is this disableloadingmip supposed to do?

JRW

With everything on High I'm seeing around 45fps with triple buffer + Vsync on a GTX 480 SC @ 1080p, played for a few hours and having fun so far, I haven't installed the new Nvidia driver yet.

memi75

Neo Member

- the other stuttering is unrelated to FPS, it is constant, and it happens even with everything turned to low, with or without vsynch. It's a constant non-smooth movement that you notice if you look at something fixed and move around it. It's as if the movement of the character is sampled lower than the fps.

Try disabling Hyperthreading in bios and tell us how it goes...

Serandur

Well, I've only been briefly messing around with the game so far, but here are my thoughts. I'm using two G1 970s in SLI (stock, 1380 MHz) with an i7-3770K running at 2560x1440. I have everything on its max settings except AA, which I lowered to 2xTXAA, and I'm pretty much getting a constant 60 FPS so far. I do get some occasional microstuttering, oddly, which might be due to SLI. Other than that, runs like a dream for me. The game is currently using about 3400 MBs per each card. It's a pretty-looking game.

Hey thanks, I'm not sure if it fixed my stuttering completely but it's certainly considerably less annoying now when I'm driving around

What is this disableloadingmip supposed to do?

My guess it that it disable mipmaps, meaning that textures are less smooth when they change from high to low as you move around.

But it's a compromise better than having textures at medium all the time.

Crashing when loading sucks :( Just to be on the safe side, I'd do a fresh reboot, shut down any running processes that aren't necessary (i.e. stop the afterburners, the logitech helper programs, etc, etc) and verify all drivers are up to date - specifically sound card and video card. Video card drivers should also be removed completely and reinstalled just in case.

I've found all sorts of reasons over the years for games crashing on startup but ones that stick in my mind were out of date sound card drivers and programs like a logitech setpoint.

I guess its time to start troubleshooting. Uninstalling drivers now and starting fresh. I can play mulitplayer, just the campaign load crashes half way through.

Skyzard

Banned
Mr Nvidia Chap!

For my 780Ti should i go with 2xTXAA as the chart suggests or go with the new MFAA at 2x?

I would go for smaa and turn up the resolution to 2560x1440 and lock the framerate to 35 with RTSS, makes it very smooth. If you drop the settings some and lock it to 40 it will feel even better, I'm keeping it at max moslty atm. Not sure about stutters at higher framerates.

I actually set the textures to Very High or one notch down from max...I liked the objects to be slightly less sharp, seemed to fit in better. My gpu memory usage has like 600mb spare and it runs at 80% most of the time.

Maybe I'm getting old but I don't need 60fps even in an fps when the compromise is graphics that are this good. Especially since it's not a competitive online title for me, just more single player exploring. Feels immersive (in a different way) like this too. Reminds me of Crysis 1 tbh.

ELCID777

Neo Member
Definitely going with Nvidia next time. You get what you pay for.

Why do you say this? The game is performing very, very well on AMD. They released a new driver before Nvidia did even, and it provides a 50% increase in performance.

I don't understand this "you get what you pay for" thing. I've owned several Nvidia GPU's and have been using AMD for the past 3 years, they're both in the same league as far as quality goes and bad AMD driver support is a thing of the distant past.

Eyothrie

The second symptom you mention is annoying the crap out of me. GTX 680 here, all settings at "low", FRAPS reports a constant 60fps, but it is stuttering something fierce. I'd call it microstutters?

Cincaid

Yay, single player is finally working for me! No idea what the problem was, but I simply uninstalled and deleted all local files and re-downloaded the entire game. Maybe something was screwed up with the uPlay preload?

Running everything on Ultra now with what seems to be 60fps. My only problem is that the mouse movement feels extremely weird, it's very difficult to describe it. Also, there seems to be some minor hitching when moving the mouse, but not when strafing with keyboard for example. A very odd sensation. :/

Damian.

Banned

Second stuttering sounds exactly like Far Cry 3, which I was only able to get around by using DX9 mode. Hopefully they release a patch quickly and not ignore the problem forever like the Sleeping Dogs devs. :(

The Cowboy

- one is the hitching that is especially annoying when you drive around. Fix is: lower textures to medium (terrible) OR edit GamerProfile.xml file, change DisableLoadingMip0="0" to DisableLoadingMip0="1".
What a weird setting, changing this has allowed me to go from using medium textures to using ultra textures on a superclocked GTX480 with 1.5gb Vram, no more loading stutter (i would get this on anything higher than medium) and no more maxing out my Vram - and for the life of me i can't spot a difference between ultra without 0 selected and ultra with 1 selected.

Thanks for the tip.

Seventy70

Why do you say this? The game is performing very, very well on AMD. They released a new driver before Nvidia did even, and it provides a 50% increase in performance.

I don't understand this "you get what you pay for" thing. I've owned several Nvidia GPU's and have been using AMD for the past 3 years, they're both in the same league as far as quality goes and bad AMD driver support is a thing of the distant past.

I don't want to turn this into an AMD vs. Nvidia war, but from my experience, Nvidia owners usually get first class treatment compared to AMD. AMD is a nice value, but they don't get as much support due to the majority of people being on Nvidia. For example, I have to wait for Crossfire support from AMD for this game rather than having it on day 1.

Go figure, the "magic" community patch that fixed Watch Dogs stuttering did exactly that: disable mipmaps.

As I said the effect is that normally you have different resolution sizes for a single texture. Up close you have the highest and far away the smallest.

With mipmaps ON, the game automatically generates a number of textures between those stages, so that the transition is smooth. With mipmaps OFF the textures will "pop-in" as you move closer, since there's no interpolation.

Obviously this saves a lot of texture memory, and probably there's something buggy in the game code that makes the creation of mipmaps lag everything.

plc268

For some reason my uplay copy has yet to unlock (us store). Anyone else having this issue?

This isn't inherently obvious, but uplay does it in a backward way, but you should have gotten an email from ubishop to the email attached to the uplay account with an activation key, which you have to redeem to unlock the preload. I know, it's stupid. Took me a while to figure that out myself.

But, good luck starting the game. Uplay servers are down right now, and is stuck on "looking for patches"

:\

Serandur

Alright, this game is joining all other TXAA-compatible software in my criticism of the method. I hate the way it softens the whole image. It inhibits clarity and mars textures, I really don't like it at all and prefer traditional MSAA even if it does leave temporal shimmering. I hope MFAA is enabled for SLI soon, it would be nice to have a proper alternative. In this game, SMAA just blurs everything obscenely.

Skyzard

Banned
^Hmm I'm usually a fan of TXAA (Evolve, Watch Dogs), not so much in AC:U of course. With this it's too much of a performance hit on my 780ti. SMAA looks decent to me at 2560 though...let me try msaa later.

- one is the hitching that is especially annoying when you drive around. Fix is: lower textures to medium (terrible) OR edit GamerProfile.xml file, change DisableLoadingMip0="0" to DisableLoadingMip0="1".

What a weird setting, changing this has allowed me to go from using medium textures to using ultra textures on a superclocked GTX480 with 1.5gb Vram, no more loading stutter (i would get this on anything higher than medium) and no more maxing out my Vram - and for the life of me i can't spot a difference between ultra without 0 selected and ultra with 1 selected.

Thanks for the tip.

Anyone know what that setting is supposed to do?

Go figure, the "magic" community patch that fixed Watch Dogs stuttering did exactly that: disable mipmaps.

Oh right, what is that?
I should read the rest of Gormenghast's post lol.

As I said the effect is that normally you have different resolution sizes for a single texture. Up close you have the highest and far away the smallest.

With mipmaps ON, the game automatically generates a number of textures between those stages, so that the transition is smooth. With mipmaps OFF the textures will "pop-in" as you move closer, since there's no interpolation.

Obviously this saves a lot of texture memory, and probably there's something buggy in the game code that makes the creation of mipmaps lag everything.

I'll try with it off and see if I notice the popin. I noticed the stuttering sometimes when driving even though my gpu memory usage is rather freed up.

It dropped my memory usage by another 500mb...but I was already like 600mb clear.

hoserx

This isn't inherently obvious, but uplay does it in a backward way, but you should have gotten an email from ubishop to the email attached to the uplay account with an activation key, which you have to redeem to unlock the preload. I know, it's stupid. Took me a while to figure that out myself.

But, good luck starting the game. Uplay servers are down right now, and is stuck on "looking for patches"

:\

I didn't get a code though......... didn't get one for AC: U and it just worked...... strange. Can't load FC4.

ELCID777

Neo Member
Alright, this game is joining all other TXAA-compatible software in my criticism of the method. I hate the way it softens the whole image. It inhibits clarity and mars textures, I really don't like it at all and prefer traditional MSAA even if it does leave temporal shimmering. I hope MFAA is enabled for SLI soon, it would be nice to have a proper alternative. In this game, SMAA just blurs everything obscenely.

I find the SMAA implementation in this game does similar things. Looks like it's SMAA T1x, like Ryse Son of Rome used.

It provides better coverage than MSAA, but at the expense of giving everything a really soft appearance. I don't like it, personally. TXAA is even more overbearing, so I hear ya.

aravuus

Hmm, getting somewhat frequent crashes (once an hour or so) that all point to the gamerprofile.xml file I modified. Critical file failure or something. Wonder if it has to do with the fact that I made it read-only

pestul

I have the opposite impression. So far I find the SMAA to be the best implementation I have seen in a game imo. Yeah, there is a little bit of fuzzy added, but the tradeoff for full AA implementation is worth it over the shimmering MSAA leaves imo.

Faith

Ok, SMAA is working now. Still getting 20-35fps most of the time.

This game isn't working with an Asus Strix 970 :(

MarkV

Earlier i have taken some GB of data file from the FC4 folder of a friend of mine so i didn't have to download everything but i don't know how to make uPlay read those file like they are already downloaded, the uPlay FC4 folder looks like complete and when i put the files in it it changes nothing ...i'm pretty sure i have already did something like this in the past but i don't remember how.

Hmm, getting somewhat frequent crashes (once an hour or so) that all point to the gamerprofile.xml file I modified. Critical file failure or something. Wonder if it has to do with the fact that I made it read-only
only time i got a game crash last night was when I would go into the options menu (in-game) while the xml was read only. so long as I stayed out of the options menu, it was smooth sailing.

are your crashes happening while playing, or when you are tinkering in options?

rBose

Banned
Setting the Terrain to Medium also brings a few FPS back and Shadows to Low

Also, I recommend disabling Alpha To Coverage in the XML

Faith

Either your copy of the game or your card is severely fucked. You should be getting way better performance unless you're using a terrible CPU.
My card is working fine in other games and my 4770K shouldn't be a problem. It's not the only problem. Shadows and lighting is completely broken. I've tried everything in the settings, no change.

Might give it a try and reinstall it. Hopefully I won't lose my savegame.

My card is working fine in other games. It's not the only problem. Shadows and lighting is completely broken. I've tried everything in the settings, no change.

I'd really recommend it, sounds like something's gone very wrong there.

My card is working fine in other games and my 4770K shouldn't be a problem. It's not the only problem. Shadows and lighting is completely broken. I've tried everything in the settings, no change.

Are you running the GPU at the factory OC, or have you upped the clocks? If so, you might consider throttling it back a tad. Agressive OC's can sometimes cause funny performance... though that typically manifests itself as artifacts or hard locks.

Just thinking out loud.

Tainted

Well, I've now done everything in my knowledge (thanks again those who tried to help me), but the game is still crashing when I try to start a new campaign. My last resort now is to uninstall and delete all local files and re-download the entire game, maybe something went wrong with my preloading. Extremely annoying either way. :(

I'm having the same issue and I just verified game files and now it's downloading another 10Gb

Something must have screwed up in the uPlay preload

aravuus

only time i got a game crash last night was when I would go into the options menu (in-game) while the xml was read only. so long as I stayed out of the options menu, it was smooth sailing.

are your crashes happening while playing, or when you are tinkering in options?

Both happened in the pause menu, the first one when I had alt-tabbed out and tried to get back to the game and the second when I clicked "save", I think

The -skipintro trick isn't working for me. Do I just rename a shortcut to the exe?

You wouldn't rename the short cut or the exe, depending how you launch the game, you'd want to add the -skipintro as a command line parameter. If your using a typical Windows shortcut, right click it and click Properties. There you will see a text box labelled Target:. You will see the path to the .exe used to launch the game. Add a space at the end of that and then insert the command line parameter. Steam has a method for adding command line parameters as well. Not sure about Uplay.

Both happened in the pause menu, the first one when I had alt-tabbed out and tried to get back to the game and the second when I clicked "save", I think
Yeah, that's likely from having the xml read only. Though you want it set to read only if you have things like AlphaToConverge set to 0, because the game will automatically revert it back 1 upon a fresh start up.

Basically, figure out you optimal settings, then set the file to read only, then just stay out of the options menu.

Skyzard

Banned
You wouldn't rename the short cut or the exe, depending how you launch the game, you'd want to add the -skipintro as a command line parameter. If your using a typical Windows shortcut, right click it and click Properties. There you will see a text box labelled Target:. You will see the path to the .exe used to launch the game. Add a space at the end of that and then insert the command line parameter. Steam has a method for adding command line parameters as well. Not sure about Uplay.

Ah yeah I just set up a steam shortcut for it and it works fine that way, thanks.

Haven't tried deleting or renaming the videos.

Pretty happy with it!

http://a.pomf.se/aiiwvj.webm

Only issue is how the road obviously pops in (with mipmapping on or off) when you are in a quad bike. When you're in a car, well you can see the effect above.

Tainted

For those having issues launching the Singleplayer (ie Freezing on the loading bar at around 75% and getting a farcry4.exe has stopped responding); verify your game files in uPlay/Steam

The first time I verified the game files, it found a few small files to download......but I just performed another verification and this time it is downloading a 10Gb patch. May only affect uPlay users who downloaded the early code; but I suspect the day 1 patch may not have been pushed out in the uPlay client to some users

Can't say yet whether it fixes the issue or not though

I'm getting a serious case of crushed blacks with the new drivers:

I'm also seeing a weird image retention-like issue when moving the camera, but if memory serves it's because temporal SMAA doesn't play nicely with SLI (Watch Dogs behaves the same but at least regular SMAA is an in-game option).

2x 2GB 670s, for what it's worth.

The same thing happened to me after installing the latest drivers from nvidia. The game ran fine yesterday with the 344.65 drivers. My framerate is alright, sli scales well but the lighting/shadows are completely broken. I've tried messing around with the graphical settings but I couldn't get any better results.
I'm running the game on a 4790k with 2x 980gtx sli, win7.

Top Bottom