• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead Undressed now on Steam!

matmanx1

Fun and hilarious game. If you like otaku culture and haven't played the Vita/PS3/PS4 versions then definitely get this one.

I enjoyed the Vita version and may pick up the Steam version just because I enjoyed it.

Flarin

Fun and hilarious game. If you like otaku culture and haven't played the Vita/PS3/PS4 versions then definitely get this one.

100% agreed. Also, a shockingly good substitute for an actual to to Japan if you can't afford it. I was fortunate enough to be able to go to Japan a few years back and I was in awe at how they captured the feel of it all. Not perfect, but fun none the less!

My review: http://www.relyonhorror.com/reviews/review-akibas-trip-undead-undressed-pc-version/

It's lacking, but if you're ok with a "it works" port, you'll be OK.

Now, I can’t verify this due to a lack of technical know-how, but I suspect that Akiba’s PC port suffers from a limited internal resolution, upscaling the game for higher monitors. The game appears soft and fuzzy, with character outlines and city backgrounds not as crisp as I expected from an anime-styled game running at a full 1080p resolution. Curiously enough, when entering any of the game’s many stores, there’s a discernible difference in clarity, with shopkeepers appearing much sharper than other parts of the game.

ahh that doesn't sound good :(

FLD

Really wish I hadn't bought it on Vita. Guess I'll wait for a sale.

I liked it enough to double dip but I didn't think it was worth full price on Vita (thought it was more of a 20 bucks purchase, at best), so there's no way I'm paying more than 10-15 bucks now.

If/when anyone has tried this, I'm wondering whether it'd run alright on entry level hardware: Intel HD 4400 with dual channel memory and a Haswell Core i5. Runs 360/PS3 stuff fine, I get 50-60fps on Dead or Alive 5 at 1080p, and a solid 60 at 900p.

I have a feeling it won't though. From the system requirements (the RAM is a dead giveaway) alone it looks like the PC version of Akiba's Trip is based off the PS4 version, in a situation that XSEED/Acquire can't win.

Basing it off the PS3 code would have made for much better system requirements -- so myself and others with lesser hardware be able to play it -- but understandably owners of gaming rigs will want the best or most up to date version of the game, and you could make a case that these people are the primary purchasers of PC ports like this, everyone else will probably already have a PS3, Vita or PS4.

Personally speaking I think the PS4 version's visual upgrades take away from the game's look. The unnecessary and overbaked lighting and shadow effects water down what is pure and crisp cel-shading, while accentuating the low-poly character models. Are there any settings to turn off these visual features? I heard the game has different visual filters? Do they apply lighting and shadows?

Arsenic13

Do you have some native 1080p shots?

Here you go Durante-chan.

Notice how the up-close screens with menus (stores and when talking to Nana), the image is much more crisp. I wish the whole game was like this. I tried this with and without the game's provided AA (unknown to me)

Link (Download for full res)

Still think this is one of the most solid 6/10 games I've played. I mean, I fucking platinumed it and enjoyed it the whole time.

Probs gonna double dip.

The localization and voice acting by the way are pretty damn impressive. Way better than they have any right to be

Nyoro SF

Yeah XSEED's hands are tied with this. They're not developers and it's not their duty to make sure the PC port is up to standards, though they certainly did try to warn Acquire ahead of time (but that's about all they can do).

I'm looking forward to reading feedback in the thread before I buy tomorrow.

desmax

Notice how the up-close screens with menus (stores and when talking to Nana), the image is much more crisp. I wish the whole game was like this. I tried this with and without the game's provided AA (unknown to me)

The text font looks low res.
Is like that on the PS4 version too?

Wonder what it looks like with the new (for PS4/PC) visual filters taken off? There's an awful lot of post processing going on in all of them, which might be to blame for the softer, non-native look.

2D elements like text and the HUD being non-native is to be expected -- they were probably designed around the 720p output of the PS3 version, and Acquire likely didn't redo them for PS4 or the PC port. I'd like to be proven wrong, of course!

Yarbskoo

Some of these shots don't look like they're being rendered at 1920x1080.

Also, am I going crazy or is that chromatic aberration in an anime styled game?

Arsenic13

Some of these shots don't look like they're being rendered at 1920x1080.

Also, am I going crazy or is that chromatic aberration in an anime styled game?

You can adjust color offset in the visual (not graphics) editor. You might be able to adjust that? Not sure, I didn't want to alter the image too much from the default.

bengraven

I'm not sure if I want my friends to get notifications that I'm playing this.

Despite several of my friends will definitely be playing it.

I have a Vita, Ps3, Ps4 and mid-low-end laptop. Which version of the game is considered the best? Is the Vita version any good?

desmax

I have a Vita, Ps3, Ps4 and mid-low-end laptop. Which version of the game is considered the best? Is the Vita version any good?

PS4 is the most feature heavy (Including Toy Box mode and streaming features like making panties rain)

If you want portable, go with Vita. It kinda runs bad on PS3/Vita, tho

TGMIII

Recommended 4GB VRAM seems massively overkill for something like this surely? Hesitant to pick it up since I've only got a 2GB card.

Arsenic13

PS4 is the most feature heavy (Including Toy Box mode and streaming features like making panties rain)

If you want portable, go with Vita. It kinda runs bad on PS3/Vita, tho

PS4 version might be the more content-rich version, maybe definitive version for now. But if we get some fixes for the PC port, it can definitely be the best. Stream integration isn't a game seller (yet) and Toy Box could be replicated with mods.

Top Bottom