• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Thud

Invisible blocks are only solid on the bottom side before they're revealed. Wasn't too hard to thread the needle on my second attempt, after I knew where they were. Didn't even have to open the editor to check.

Literally the first thing I thought after entering that room was "Oh, functional platforms being used for aesthetic purposes. How do I break this?"

It's not the most egregious oversight. At least there's a pit nearby so you're not at the mercy of the clock. Still ruins the illusion of the level by making the upper level geometry visible, though.

Break all the levels!

I think it's easy to fix by making the toad house larger. :p

I made a simple little puzzle level this morning. It was a lot of fun to tweak. The problem is when making levels like this, you are working backwards from the puzzle solution, so it's difficult to gauge whether it's too easy or hard or whatever.

It's short and sweet, so if anyone wants to give it a blast
and a star
, that'd be awesome.

7XodyQD.png

Decent idea but I think the execution needs work.

You should probably rethink that trampoline at the start, since it can be thrown off the edge rendering the player stuck. Heighten the starting point instead!

The moving platform jump was a bit too hard with Mario just bouncing off it which wasn't very fun or satisfying to succeed at. Maybe use a slow-moving platform instead? The game's physics don't gel well with this particular thing imo. You should also try to at least foreshadow what will happen with the question blocks once you do get up there. I had no idea there were going to be enemies in the blocks and almost died for it after doing the frustrating jump.

Chopper

Decent idea but I think the execution needs work.

You should probably rethink that trampoline at the start, since it can be thrown off the edge rendering the player stuck. Heighten the starting point instead!

The moving platform jump was a bit too hard with Mario just bouncing off it which wasn't very fun or satisfying to succeed at. Maybe use a slow-moving platform instead? The game's physics don't gel well with this particular thing imo. You should also try to at least foreshadow what will happen with the question blocks once you do get up there. I had no idea there were going to be enemies in the blocks and almost died for it after doing the frustrating jump.

Thanks for the feedback! You can still make the jump without the trampoline. It's just there to give you a helping hand.

The jump from the platform is intentionally tricky, but shouldn't take more than one or two attempts to nail. Unfortunately, the slower moving platforms don't work at all in that situation, as the slower speed makes jumping the spinning saw a complete nightmare, but would also make the jump to the clouds far too simple.

I take your point about the enemies. They are supposed to be a surprise, but easily dispatched. Maybe I'll rethink.

Thanks for checking it out.

Orgen

I was going to test the stages today and vote them... :( Daydream, can't you extend the period vote to Saturday as planned or is it too much of a hassle? Not that I'm expecting to pass but I see several people here that didn't get to vote and if we go to the next round I won't have the need to play/star all the courses from the first group! (I'll play them anyway :p)

Anyway, do as you want! (You're already doing an excellent job with the contest so I'm not in any position to complain about anything).

I'd like to thank the people who gave me feedback (and stars) on my level :) It was done in 1 hour and in a hurry just to meet the deadline so I know that it could be much better (it's too complicated for an 1-1 level, the first section is more difficult than the last... etc.) but one thing I don't understand is asking for a limitless P-Switch at the end of the course. As far as I know there no limitless ítem in any Mario 1-1 course (maybe I'm wrong) and I already put another P-Switch half way to the "secret" path so I thought that with 2 it should be enough :D

If you gave feedback to my level (Underground Tutorial) and want me to do the same for any of your levels just quote me and put your course code ID so I can test it after all the other 1-1 courses :) (sorry but the thread goes faster than I thought so I can't see all the people who gave me feedback).

Thanks again and good courses GAF!

PS: Kyzon, tried to beat your courses the other day but I couldn't... I need to see your videos so I can see how you do it and then I'll beat them! ;D

VandalD

Oh, I thought we had more time to play and vote on the first group. I hadn't intended on voting anyway since I was in that group. Congrats to those moving on!

urfe

Thanks to all who tried Ashley's Adventure II!

I also appreciate the stars.

It's great to find good courses on GAF, as it can be a bit rough.

My favorites are that earthbound inspired one, and the simple 5 jumps.

Side question: Why is NSMBU getting expensive? It's like $63 new on Amazon, Best Buy only has it pre-owned.

Didn't Nintendo say something recently about a rerelease with Luigi U included or am I losing it?

New stage from me. Regrettably, I've had to break my jazz standard naming convention as I couldn't find a title that fit. Well, this will do:

Bait-and-Switch Beltway
8805-0000-0067-E3B4

WVW69ia0bSEPOGPVkC

Synopsis: This stage revolves around the discovery that P-switches temporarily stop conveyor belts. Dash across high-speed conveyor belts if you dare, or pause them at the cost of releasing some unwelcome enemies.

- Multiple routes through every obstacle
- Many different ways to play: patiently search for power-ups or blast through a speed-run route
- Unique P-switch locking system rewards expert players for doing things the hard way
- 3 hidden 1UP mushrooms

Remember, P-switches are helpful but definitely not required. Whether or not you use them is your choice, and they may affect your pathway through the course.

Bonus hint:
Spiny Hats can activate invisible blocks without shattering them.

Difficulty: Moderate to clear; will likely require multiple attempts to see everything. Know how to run. Mastery of the SMW spin jump will get you places.

My previous stages:
Take the 'A' Train - F5F2-0000-0040-42D2
It Might as Well Be Spring - 128A-0000-002B-853E

Playtesting and comments are always appreciated.

I finally made it to 50 stars :)
With only 4 levels too.

Gonna decide whether to create new stage or play all the gsf stuff I have missed so far ♡ this game. Gaf yall are making some really great stages

Naar

Just made a new level called spinning madness! SMW theme

3DA8-0000-0068-BD40

it is medium difficulty at most

look forward to hearing feedback about it

+ Not gonna lie, I'm more or less sick of 1-1 remakes/remixes so I avoid them (just the SMB one). I groaned as soon as I loaded into the level, but that frown quickly turned into a smile. Bravo!
+ Love the classic SMB feel. I actually went back and played it again (because it's fun, and because I noticed that arrow above one of the red winged troopas early on :p)
+ Nice level layout, length, and intensity

- It doesn't really feel like a 1-1 level because of the difficulty, level structure, and variety of enemies, but if you weren't going for that it's cool. I totally don't mind (but still gotta meet that 'negatives' quota!)
- There was the one area that had maybe a little too many enemies (immediately after the secret star in the sky), but yeah, not a biggie
- Unfortunately, since I have other levels to check out, not gonna play the rest of your world :( but I will do this again sometimes, so maybe you can bring up 1-2 then!

Another star. Another comment.

Great feedback, thanks. Yeah I did put to many enemies, I wanted to reward getting the star but that made those that missed the star go through too much. Also I added the secret warp there later so it made getting the star all disjointed. This whole secret level thing was sort of added in after I had done this level so it didn't fit as well as in other levels.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Side question: Why is NSMBU getting expensive? It's like $63 new on Amazon, Best Buy only has it pre-owned.

Didn't Nintendo say something recently about a rerelease with Luigi U included or am I losing it?

If you look closer, Amazon actually isn't stocking it themselves anymore. The prices you're seeing are third party sellers (the lowest of which is actually $50 new).

I just finished my latest level and would love some feedback

Escaping the Martian Menace
ID: 5C98-0000-0068-C846

You wake up, finding yourself in a bizarre quandary. Can you escape your green alien overlords' prison, make it through their caves, and past their guards and warship to make it back home?

WVW69ia4F-YEKm1SZK

Thanks!

My other courses:
Grand Ghost Galleon 5C98-0000-0068-C846
Chompin’ at the Bits 3DD4-0000-003D-783B

aw man, saturday was the initial plan but then i changed it to thursday since i'll be moving over the weekend. the right date must have landed in some other draft before i posted it. too many tabs in my browser and too much stuff to take care of in real life, apologies everyone.

so, the point difference between those four and the rest is actually quite large so unless anyone has any objections, i'd like to move on to round 2, if that's ok.

Crap, I played about 7 of them last night and planned to do the rest tonight. In any case, I've made notes and will provide feedback even though I couldn't vote.

Sephzilla

Speaking of funny things, the Rocky Wrenches look ridiculous on rails. Good level with nice variations on the theme. Much too easy though. Two feathers is overkill. Maybe a couple more pits would've kept my heart rate up a bit. As it stands without the laughter over the moles this might have been a little bit forgettable, just because I never felt in danger.

Thanks for the feedback!

And yeah, it's a bit on the easy side. That was intentional. I just finished making a couple of slightly more challenging levels, plus coupled with the discussion a few of us had the other day about players dying in surprisingly easy areas, I just wanted to make a level that was a tad more simple and easy.

Paulie_C

Neo Member
Are Nintendo monitoring the levels at all? - I played a level the other night and it was great up until the end where they made a message out of coins and it had bad language.

I don't normally mind but my kids play this game!

Thud

Are Nintendo monitoring the levels at all? - I played a level the other night and it was great up until the end where they made a message out of coins and it had bad language.

I think you can report it. Keep things friendly.

Of course I'm not gonna force it, but it would be nice to see feedback from your kids on:

Marioary
73FC-0000-0028-6208

Mushroom World 1-1 (Lost Levels)
2AA0-0000-0056-DCFF

You can report levels for bad content and they will be removed. For example a gaffer made a terrible 9/11 level in extremely poor taste that is gone now, and there has been talk of penis levels and such that have been taken down.

You could punch in gaf-made levels for your kids to play, most of them are sincere attempts at good, fun levels. Quite a few are even easy with funny themes like the Hopsichord or Mario Goes to Ikea.

Neki

You know you're obsessed when you are about to fall asleep but realize you have a great idea and go take five minutes to sketch it. Sleep was nice.

Also, I feel like once a level starts getting stars that it just compounds after that, power of peer voting?

ohNOitsRO

Dat early repost. And off I go! Leave me levels guys I'll have time finally today to go through the backlog of gaf levels

Guys I just spent I don't know how long designing this water stage.. It's really nothing crazy in terms of gameplay, it's just a find the 100 coins challenge but I placed it in what I think are nicely designed water caverns!

So yeah it's a water level that if you rush through it isn't really all that exciting but trying to finish the course with all 100 coins is! Again I feel like it might be too easy but idk. Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated

'100 Coin' Caverns
ID: B9FE-0000-0067-D6CC

Thanks homies I'm still getting around to playing a bunch of gaf levels, I have a nice list going

akashhhhh

Quick question: my game still seems to be taking days to unlock everything. I get notified that tomorrow I'll get access to new items. The game is patched and up to date, I thought they had removed this behavior?

Quick question: my game still seems to be taking days to unlock everything. I get notified that tomorrow I'll get access to new items. The game is patched and up to date, I thought they had removed this behavior?

It's telling you the truth that you'll get it tomorrow...if you wait. If you don't wait and simply place all the new stuff they gave you at least once, then place at least 500 objects (just scribble coins), you'll get it immediately. They tell you it "came earlier than expected."

Sölf

Posted this late last night and no one got to check it out. Put a lot into this one, so I hope some of you try it!

Tried it, died a few times because everything is so narrow and got stuck later on (made a comment with screen). You can even die right at the beginning if you move in a direction instead of just jumping, because then you hit the shell and it kills you in return. May needs a bit work, but I liked the idea.

TheFatMan

The 100 mario challenge is almost unplayable at this point with all of the garbage levels people have designed.

I swear, every level on Normal is either damn near unbeatable or so simple it's not worth playing.

I mean really people, put some effort into this!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
+ The level felt polished in terms of terrain and enemy placement
+ Interesting use of ice blocks
+ The level layout I thought was a clever way to get around the height limitation

- Some of the obstacles felt a little unfair. I kept hit fire bars and fire jets that I just couldn't see
- The jumps and obstacles are difficult enough that Bowser fire just isn't necessary
- I admit that I didn't really make it THAT far, but I would've liked to see other power-ups other than mushrooms early on

Didn't beat the level since I need to move on. Comment and star left.

Thanks for the feedback. There are more powerups,
Fire Flower in the third part, Leaf in the fourth. I tried to make it so that each powerup would help you most in the next "stage".
I agree on Bowser's fire actually, It didn't show up until I was actually trying to upload the level, and at that point I didn't feel like changing much. I wish there were a way to keep his fire from showing up until certain points, as I like having him at the end.

I'm not sure if you made it to the last section(through the pipe) but
there's a skip you can do if you have the Leaf.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The 100 mario challenge is almost unplayable at this point with all of the garbage levels people have designed.

I swear, every level on Normal is either damn near unbeatable or so simple it's not worth playing.

These are the industry level designers of tomorrow!

Tracks in particular are difficult to utilize well due to the loading thing. Once they're active they stay active and moving unless the objects fall off the track, I believe. But until they're almost on screen and loaded, they don't start moving. This means that they're unreliable for syncing up movement unless the player enters a screen that they're already on via pipe or door.

For example on my latest music level, the OoT windmill music, I've got this "windmill" on the first screen:

WVW69iayUYQ0TSof77

It rotates fine because it's all already on the first screen you see.

But duplicate that design at the end of the level, and as it scrolls in from the right, first the leftmost platform starts, then the top and bottom ones, and the rightmost one last. They're all bunched together and not evenly distributed. This is why I set up the second windmill to be "assembled" from platforms being flung in from overhead. All the platforms are loaded at once because they all begin on the same vertical line. This is still not perfect but looks a little better and has the benefit of being kinda cool.

Bladelaw

I want to leave work and go design more levels. This game is killing me.

I'm working on a more difficult Wall Jump style level with a couple boss fights. I posted it last page and would love some feedback. It's still "beta" as everything there is utilitarian. There's few guiding coins, no secrets, one or two blind jumps, and areas that aren't intended to be traversed are super bare, but I found it provided me with enough challenge to consider interesting. I uploaded it because it was over my wife's head in terms of difficulty and I'd really like to tweak it into something hard, fun, and fair.

Let me know what you think:

You Think You Can Wall Jump?BETA
D78F-0000-0068-813B

Hey there GAF! I just made what I consider my best traditional ghost house level yet. Its a mildly perplexing quest to find your little dinosaur horse friend in order to reach the goal, and don't worry - there is no need to send the little bugger down a bottomless pit either!

I would love some feedback on this one in order to tune it and make it even better since I think this is a level most people would enjoy unless I've hit some unforeseen snags in my design.

Where is Yoshi?
ID: 2515-0000-0068-E3F4

The thing I really don't understand is all the Japanese levels with extremely long names, and then they have this weird sort of design that's indescribable...generally NSMB castle style, not quite a normal level, enemies all over, usually a star and a run through piles of enemies and some Bowsers. I dunno. I feel like I have played this specific type of level like 20 times.

When I see a really long Japanese level name I always imagine it's something like "Mario goes to the local mall and gets a haircut while pondering the current political climate."

The next set of amiibo got delivered today (Mii Brawler, Mii Sword Fighter, Mii Gunner, R.O.B., Game & Watch and Duck Hunt)... interestingly the 3 Mii fighters aren't supported by Mario Maker :/

Tracks in particular are difficult to utilize well due to the loading thing. Once they're active they stay active and moving unless the objects fall off the track, I believe. But until they're almost on screen and loaded, they don't start moving. This means that they're unreliable for syncing up movement unless the player enters a screen that they're already on via pipe or door.

For example on my latest music level, the OoT windmill music, I've got this "windmill" on the first screen:

It rotates fine because it's all already on the first screen you see.

But duplicate that design at the end of the level, and as it scrolls in from the right, first the leftmost platform starts, then the top and bottom ones, and the rightmost one last. They're all bunched together and not evenly distributed. This is why I set up the second windmill to be "assembled" from platforms being flung in from overhead. All the platforms are loaded at once because they all begin on the same vertical line. This is still not perfect but looks a little better and has the benefit of being kinda cool.

I had this problem with my "inside the wiggler" level. I solved it by placing a door midways so it reloads the track parts and the surrounding ones are in sync again (in the Memory Area, about 2 screens wide):
Cure the Wiggler! (283F-0000-005E-6609)

Hey there GAF! I just made what I consider my best traditional ghost house level yet. Its a mildly perplexing quest to find your little dinosaur horse friend in order to reach the goal, and don't worry - there is no need to send the little bugger down a bottomless pit either!

I would love some feedback on this one in order to tune it and make it even better since I think this is a level most people would enjoy unless I've hit some unforeseen snags in my design.

Where is Yoshi?
ID: 2515-0000-0068-E3F4

Quoting for new page.

The next set of amiibo got delivered today (Mii Brawler, Mii Sword Fighter, Mii Gunner, R.O.B., Game & Watch and Duck Hunt)... interestingly the 3 Mii fighters aren't supported by Mario Maker :/

Hmmm, maybe they plan to add full Mii support. For the NSMB style, so you can design your own character. Would be awesome!

Endy MacK

OK here's my attempt at a real hard level. It's beta still so I plan on adding more but I'm curious if it's as hard as I intended.

Lots of wall jumping this time.

You Think You Can Wall Jump?BETA
D78F-0000-0068-813B

Wow!that took me a while. I enjoyed that challenge, though. The width of the second vertical climb is pure evil until you get the timing. Thanks!

Bladelaw

Wow!that took me a while. I enjoyed that challenge, though. The width of the second vertical climb is pure evil until you get the timing. Thanks!

Thanks for giving it a shot. The trick for the second climb (and a few others) is
making sure you do the pirouette in mid air between jumps.

I know there's some problems with it so if you noticed anything specific you want called out let me know. There's some things I know need fixing (blind jumps/leaps of faith). Some things I'm not sure of (force the final boss fight? Second Chomp placement), and then there's everything else I don't know.

jholmes

Possibly unpopular opinion: I think the selection of levels on 100 Mario has got a lot better in a couple weeks. Still a garbage dump of self-indulgent kaizo attempts and Japanese 12-year-olds spamming giant enemies everywhere, but I do find real, actual levels now.

Then again I think everyone's just a lot better after two weeks. The GAF levels included, we've gone from cute levels with structural issues to really, really solid levels pretty quickly.

Top Bottom