• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Chopper

I made a simple little puzzle level this morning. It was a lot of fun to tweak. The problem is when making levels like this, you are working backwards from the puzzle solution, so it's difficult to gauge whether it's too easy or hard or whatever.

It's short and sweet, so if anyone wants to give it a blast
and a star
, that'd be awesome.

7XodyQD.png

I'm insure if I shared this level or not here, I believe I only did at Japan gaf.

Ashley's Adventure II
I thought the Sprite was great, and wanted to make a non-Mario level. This led to no enemies so that the illusion cannot be broken, and therefore lots of platforming.
I enjoyed this but got frustrated on the jumping part with small area to jump toward in the bottom. I suggest opening that up a bit.

Also got SMW unlocked on my Japan copy.
New unlock system is great! You can idle for 5 minutes, fill the level with tiles (using all the new stuff), then you get the delivery in which you play a level tied into the new stuff.
You unlock Mario trail after getting castle theme, SMB3 with airship, and SMW with ghost house.

After watching giant bomb's stream with Super Mario Maker today, I realized that he wasn't having the trouble that I seem to have been when using the cape in this game.

I've played Super Mario World since I was a kid, and I never had trouble getting Mario to fly before, but in Super Mario Maker, everytime I've had the cape, I've had trouble getting him airborne. Immediately when he gets within jumping height, Mario always seems to get into the glide position, and never gains any height for me. I can't seem to figure out why! I'm not holding back, and I'm specifically holding just the run button, the direction I'm moving, and tapping the jump button. That's how I've done it for years, but for some reason in this game, he always starts gliding immediately.

Has anyone else had this problem?

You must be misremembering, because you have to hold the jump button to fly, as you had to do in the original SMW. You have to tap the jump button for Raccoon Mario in SMB3 and just press a shoulder button for the Propeller cap in NSMB. It's nice to see each style retain their own 'flying physics'.

Anyway, I would like to post some of my levels. Don't hold back with criticism (or praise).
You can't get 'stuck' in my levels, so you never have to restart to beat them.

Shell in the Ghost (House) <- recommended! ;)
E09A-0000-005B-4D63
WVW69iaL-cA9ACpf0T

A beginner's ghost house. Not a maze, just puzzles designed to teach you how to carry shells and do the spin jump. You never need to do a running jump (but it can help).
Hidden 1-up mushrooms: three.

Storm the fort!
7D46-0000-0070-1F2F *new code*
WVW69ibRFEYzGrGCQ4

A beginner's level designed to teach the difference between big and small shells and the powers of a spiny helmet. It's fairly short, but contains an optional secret.
Hidden 1-Up mushrooms: three + ?

Also, take a look at one of my 'classics', which are a bit more difficult:

Bowser's Underground Lair
WVW69iYsmaA7UEekHP

Code: 23A4-0000-0035-251E
Bowser's following you through the level, but can't attack you directly at first. Flee and watch out for where and when he jumps! (I playtested this fairly long. Was tough to make him follow you until the end.)
1-Ups: 3

The secret cavern under 1-1
Code: F9A2-0000-002D-517D
Style: SMB1
I realise now 1-1 'remakes' are getting tired, although I felt really clever back then when I did this stage :). Anyway, the stage has several floors and you must traverse each of them. Took a while to get the look exactly the way I wanted. I hope it'll be appreciated.
1-Ups: 2 + The chance to get over 100 coins.

As a matter of course, I'll play levels of anyone commenting (here or on miiverse) or starring and will leave a star or comment for you.

Ha, the SFX level was a jerk move Nintendo.
Got only one more to go, that makes it 1-2 hours to unlock everything.
Edit: Still crazy to me you unlock SFX before a sublevel.

urfe

I enjoyed this but got frustrated on the jumping part with small area to jump toward in the bottom. I suggest opening that up a bit.

Also got SMW unlocked on my Japan copy.
New unlock system is great! You can idle for 5 minutes, fill the level with tiles (using all the new stuff), then you get the delivery in which you play a level tied into the new stuff.
You unlock Mario trail after getting castle theme, SMB3 with airship, and SMW with ghost house.

Thanks for playing it!

The idea was for one of the routes (there's multiple to finish) to need to do a series of small jumps to add some challenge to a non-enemy level. I added the floor below so that one doesn't have to retry each time. I understand that it can be frustrating though, and I'll keep it in mind for further levels!

McNum

So, any idea what the 1.10 update did? Two hundred megabytes of "Made the game more enjoyable" seems a little overkill. There's no new items, so it's not that.

I wish Nintendo would at least be a little more talkative with patch notes.

Hasney

So, any idea what the 1.10 update did? Two hundred megabytes of "Made the game more enjoyable" seems a little overkill. There's no new items, so it's not that.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Ha, the SFX level was a jerk move Nintendo.
Got only one more to go, that makes it 1-2 hours to unlock everything.
Edit: Still crazy to me you unlock SFX before a sublevel.

I agree wholeheartedly. I used the speed up tricks just to get the sub level feature to unlock (and the SMB3 theme). Entering pipes is as iconic as getting a mushroom to grow big. And they show the feature in trailers, too, so people know it's there, but have to wait for days to unlock normally.

correojon

It seems there are some changes to the item unlocking procedure. I also read in r/MarioMaker that the notifications seem to be working better now.

So it only affects new players?
Think so, I can see if the courses were added to my Coursebot list on my regular Wii U.
They pretty much fixed the unlock system, which is nice.

Also it tells you what you unlocked as well.
Edit: Yep, The 8 courses were added to your Sample Course list in CourseBot

Seems accurate, maybe there new mechanic levels will help.
No it won't...

daydream

Banned
voting for the first group is closed

we had a tie for third place so four people get to proceed.

in alphabetical order: BGBW, BowieZ, Junahu, Nohar

thanks to everyone who voted so far! the second group will be up later today.

Thud

It seems there are some changes to the item unlocking procedure. I also read in r/MarioMaker that the notifications seem to be working better now.

How about seeing the result of these notifications? When I see a notification and take a look, the player is not yet on the list of players for that level.

Forgot to vote, doh.

Welp I hope the feedback was helpful and my vote would go to those three as well, so it wasn't a complete waste :p.

Chopper

Damn. I forgot to get my vote in. Although they would have gone to three of those 4 anyway. Congrats guys!

Heropon

I've played a random selection of levels and I gave a star to everyone because there weren't any that I disliked.

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-2 by KooopaKid

I liked the use of the Thwomps but that jumping one was really evil. Good work.​

Heavenly Hideaway by Nocturnowl.

It seems that I still need to experiment a lot with the items, I didn't know about hiding items in note blocks. Liked the Kid Icarus references and the level structure. It wasn't too difficult but I appreciate it between other frustrating levels.​

Mario Goes to IKEA by Rawk

The customer service was terrible and the clerks were trying to kill me: 0/5.
Seriously, the level was pretty nice and not just filled with references. I think I need one of those cars with spiky wheels.​

Fireplant Garden by ciD_Vain

The aesthetics were pleasing with the green walls and helped the theme of the level. I also liked how you could get the Fire Flower by using the upper path in a intuitive after getting the star.​

Jump to the beat by DedValve

Nice mechanic and perfect length for a level with so many possibilities of falling into a bottomless pit.​

I loved how I just played some mixed levels from gaffers and there wasn't any stinkers. You really didn't let me down, GAF, keep the good work! I'll play more levels later.

Now the shameless self-promoting. Remember to give a try to my latest creation:
Assault on the Sky Fortress
ID: 7A44-0000-0066-81B1

Give a star if you want!
I need them :(

cyba89

Aweinstock is currently attempting Panga's P-Break level. He get's the first part until the four shells pretty consistent.
http://www.twitch.tv/aweinstock

It says the first voting round goes til saturday on the first page.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Wow! Thanks for the votes. I must apologise that I never got round to voting for round one as I had a bit of a disaster at home (leaky roof) so my Wii U was not accessible for the last handful of days. I'll make sure to still play the first group levels though even if I can't vote.

Sölf

Yep, says we have time until 26th to vote. Well, I have already voted (and would like to play the new ones xD) but still. :0

daydream

Banned
aw man, saturday was the initial plan but then i changed it to thursday since i'll be moving over the weekend. the right date must have landed in some other draft before i posted it. too many tabs in my browser and too much stuff to take care of in real life, apologies everyone.

so, the point difference between those four and the rest is actually quite large so unless anyone has any objections, i'd like to move on to round 2, if that's ok.

Bladelaw

OK here's my attempt at a real hard level. It's beta still so I plan on adding more but I'm curious if it's as hard as I intended.

Lots of wall jumping this time.

You Think You Can Wall Jump?BETA
D78F-0000-0068-813B

KooopaKid

Banned
I've played a random selection of levels and I gave a star to everyone because there weren't any that I disliked.

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-2 by KooopaKid

I liked the use of the Thwomps but that jumping one was really evil. Good work.​

Heavenly Hideaway by Nocturnowl.

It seems that I still need to experiment a lot with the items, I didn't know about hiding items in note blocks. Liked the Kid Icarus references and the level structure. It wasn't too difficult but I appreciate it between other frustrating levels.​

Mario Goes to IKEA by Rawk

The customer service was terrible and the clerks were trying to kill me: 0/5.
Seriously, the level was pretty nice and not just filled with references. I think I need one of those cars with spiky wheels.​

Fireplant Garden by ciD_Vain

The aesthetics were pleasing with the green walls and helped the theme of the level. I also liked how you could get the Fire Flower by using the upper path in a intuitive after getting the star.​

Jump to the beat by DedValve

Nice mechanic and perfect length for a level with so many possibilities of falling into a bottomless pit.​

I loved how I just played some mixed levels from gaffers and there wasn't any stinkers. You really didn't let me down, GAF, keep the good work! I'll play more levels later.

Now the shameless self-promoting. Remember to give a try to my latest creation:
Assault on the Sky Fortress
ID: 7A44-0000-0066-81B1

Give a star if you want!
I need them :(

Thanks for the feedback! Will try yours tonight!

Hasney

aw man, saturday was the initial plan but then i changed it to thursday since i'll be moving over the weekend. the right date must have landed in some other draft before i posted it. too many tabs in my browser and too much stuff to take care of in real life, apologies everyone.

so, the point difference between those four and the rest is actually quite large so unless anyone has any objections, i'd like to move on to round 2, if that's ok.

I'm cool, so is this the deadlines for the other rounds still?

Group 1 ~ Saturday, Sep 26 (12PM GMT+1)
Group 2 ~ Thursday, Oct 1 (12PM GMT+1)
Group 3 ~ Tuesday, Oct 6 (12PM GMT+1)
Group 4 ~ Sunday, Oct 11 (12PM GMT+1)

That'll give a weekend for each group for me, so all good here!

Thud

It may remove the tie if you give it a few more hours.

correojon

Congratulations to the 4 winners. Good luck for the next round!

Edit:

No problem here.

KooopaKid

Banned

How many posters voted?

2 out 4 I voted for. Not bad!

daydream

Banned
I'm cool, so is this the deadlines for the other rounds still?

yup, the rest remains the same. i just had to schedule around the weekend for the reason i mentioned so the voting period for group 2 will be a bit longer for that one. it would have dragged on for too long if i made the rest equally long and i don't think there's any advantage to be gained from a longer voting period, anyway (for the stage creators, i mean)

It may remove the tie if you give it a few more hours.

nah, that'd be uncouth now that the names are out there

How many posters voted?

i got about 25 ballots in my pm box

Was there a software update?

If so, what did it bring?

1.10 pretty much added 8 mechanic levels that go with each day's unlock and fixed notifications to be better.

It also explains what you unlock as well.

So pretty much nothing for people who had it already and got everything...

---
Also congrats to the 4 for moving on, I am just glad to participate since I got 20 stars. :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Man if BowieZ's busted ass level made the cut, how do the rest of you have any hope? :p

bowiez.png

You're forced to kill yourself if you get stuck here. The invisible blocks can be bypassed and you have no way back inside.

(Actually, his level was quite good overall and probably would have gotten on my list had I finished. But I was pacing myself because I thought we had more time.)

Ninja Dom

1.10 pretty much added 8 mechanic levels that go with each day's unlock and fixed notifications to be better.

---
Also congrats to the 4 for moving on, I am just glad to participate since I got 20 stars. :)

I've also noticed that I can now upload 20 courses online instead of 10. Was that part of the update too?

Sixfortyfive

Are you sure this wasn't already in the game?

Because I remember unlocking sample courses with each new group of items.

BowieZ

Banned
Man if BowieZ's busted ass level made the cut, how do the rest of you have any hope? :p (Actually, his level was quite good overall and probably would have gotten on my list had I finished. But I was pacing myself because I thought we had more time.)
lol wait how did you get up there? I really thought I playtested it enough to prevent the player from getting out of the toad house, but I guess not! Oh the plunders of game design!

Are you sure this wasn't already in the game?

Because I remember unlocking sample courses with each new group of items.

Could be, but you weren't forced to play them after unlocking items.
I know I unlocked some 10 Mario courses before and they were at the top until the patch which pushed 8 levels to the very top.

Most sample levels before were just there so you have something to build on rather than a full level.

So I am going to say that the 8 I got were due to the patch.

Sölf

Could be, but you weren't forced to play them after unlocking items.
I know I unlocked some 10 Mario courses before and they were at the top until the patch which pushed 8 levels to the very top.

Most sample levels before were just there so you have something to build on rather than a full level.

So I am going to say that the 8 I got were due to the patch.

Im am pretty sure each time you unlock something you get a new sample level. Yes, you are not forced to play through them, but they were the first 8 levels for me. And at least a few could really be called full (but short) levels.

Sölf;179805784 said:
Im am pretty sure each time you unlock something you get a new sample level. Yes, you are not forced to play through them, but they were the first 8 levels for me. And at least a few could really be called full (but short) levels.
Ah, my bad then. I just know I played Mario 10 before unlocking everything so my CourseBot order seemed odd. I could have unlocked them and the patch re-ordered it.
One thing I do know though is hitting the block limit will unlock what the next day's set of stuff. I think that is new.

B_Bech

Aperture Science
(249C-0000-0067-A2D3)
WVW69ia0UDEfq5B3Rc

My next puzzle level is short but sweet. It's story driven so make sure you leave Miiverse commentary on. There is only one enemy in the whole stage: glaDOS. This level isn't hard, but Portal fans may recognize a few things. Check it out!

Posted this late last night and no one got to check it out. Put a lot into this one, so I hope some of you try it!

Sixfortyfive

lol wait how did you get up there? I really thought I playtested it enough to prevent the player from getting out of the toad house, but I guess not! Oh the plunders of game design!

Invisible blocks are only solid on the bottom side before they're revealed. Wasn't too hard to thread the needle on my second attempt, after I knew where they were. Didn't even have to open the editor to check.

Literally the first thing I thought after entering that room was "Oh, functional platforms being used for aesthetic purposes. How do I break this?"

It's not the most egregious oversight. At least there's a pit nearby so you're not at the mercy of the clock. Still ruins the illusion of the level by making the upper level geometry visible, though.

Top Bottom