• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 coming to PS4 and Xbox One

Does anyone know where in the timeline this is set?

The PGW trailer gave the impression of pre-tekken 1.
What with Heihachi chucking Kazuya off the cliff and awakening the devil gene.

However what confuses me is that they've shown Yoshimitsu's new look, and that looks nothing like T1 era.

wULV4mH.gif
It's after Tekken 6 but they were showing what happened before 1 to set up a new piece of the Mishima drama. Mama Mishima.

Rajang

So, do you think the 27 characters in Tekken 7 are enough?

Harada has said that the final version will have something around the mid 30's. Not every character has been announced yet. The Arcade version is still going to be updated constantly.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
What is this supposed to mean? I'm asking because of this line from the press release: "...including an in-depth story mode that lets players fully experience the canon storyline."

It just struck me as a possibility especially since they seem to be focusing on wrapping up that storyline and SF being inspired by MK9 storymode-wise (last I heard).

I'm saying that that sounds like a step above anything Tekken has done for story in the past, and Tekken 7 thus far hasn't screamed "a step above" in any way at all.

Creaking

In terms of mechanics I understand the point. Tekken 6 to some was a huge problem. Rage, Bound, Crumple, Floor Break, Wall splat all leading into silly combos which is far from what Tekken initially was. I liked it, but compared to Tekken 4, it did get it's fair share of backlash...again, from a competitive stand point.

This nonsense again

https://youtu.be/0R8QnV_8oNs?t=26
https://youtu.be/bJJZkp3_L-I?t=31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjVcNc9Q-xM&t=8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-pxb4HMjio&t=25s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxDjSxLwE8Q&t=7s
https://youtu.be/uWiSV7K-XwM?t=44
https://youtu.be/WoRA5Pz4ndA?t=16

Xpliskin

I think you misunderstood what he meant.

Launchers and juggle combos have always been a part of Tekken.

But with wall splat, bound and floor breaks it makes it ridiculous.

You can get wall carried from the other side of the map and receive additional damage because of wall hits, and even extend combos.

Bound extends the juggling for no reason other than "longer and more spectacular combos", also allowing you to carry your opponent further.

Floor breaks are RNG in a competitive game, which result in extended combos.

T123-TTT-T5DR had the right amount of punish&combo capabilities imo.

AAK

You can get wall carried from the other side of the map and receive additional damage because of wall hits, and even extend combos.

Bound extends the juggling for no reason other than "longer and more spectacular combos", also allowing you to carry your opponent further.

As you can see from Creaking's posts, the magnitude of damage off juggles in Tekken has always been relatively consistent if not more toned down compared to its inception. What Tekken 6 and TTT2 did was make the player work more for their damage off of a juggle rather than how easy it was in the previous games. It also applied more variables and choices the player could make to optimize their damage leading to less repetition and a funner combo system.

And floor break is not a RNG property. There are specific locations and and moves that can cause it, and is a very controlled variable.

And you are also looking at bounds and walls as only combo extender when in reality they played a huge role in so many other facets. The walls also act as a mechanism to prevent people from turtling forever like in TTT1. The bound mechanic also lead to a new frontier for characters who in the previous games never had opportunities to implement proper okizeme (like Hwoarang) to now do so becoming a heavy factor in balancing the game.

I agree with this. I don't mind depth, but not when that depth is solely on combo memory mastery.

I've always said if they want to extend combo options, they better add more defensive options mid-combo. You should earn your combo extensions with more than just an ability to do so. Yes it's a fictional game, but how dumb is it that you remain lifeless while taking all these hits waiting for it to be over?

"Don't whiff" = Equally dumb counterpoint.

They want to make Tekken more flashy, unique, scrub friendly and have more depth for fighter veterans? They better add aerial defense during those combo extensions. I'd love seeing Tekken getting more flashy with aerial reversals and counterattacks that turn the combo around the other way. Imagine combo counters tallying both players' continuous hits providing points to both players for an amazing performance? I could go on with my ideas. But Tekken can only be juggle extensions only. Nothing more.

Dereck

You've got a point

vcz49ou.gif

TRPi84f.gif

nsr.gif

A wittle too much damage imo

Xpliskin

As you can see from Creaking's posts, the magnitude of damage off juggles in Tekken has always been relatively consistent if not more toned down compared to its inception. What Tekken 6 and TTT2 did was make the player work more for their damage off of a juggle rather than how easy it was in the previous games. It also applied more variables and choices the player could make to optimize their damage leading to less repetition and a funner combo system.

And floor break is not a RNG property. There are specific locations and and moves that can cause it, and is a very controlled variable.

And you are also looking at bounds and walls as only combo extender when in reality they played a huge role in so many other facets. The walls also act as a mechanism to prevent people from turtling forever like in TTT1. The bound mechanic also lead to a new frontier for characters who in the previous games never had opportunities to implement proper okizeme (like Hwoarang) to now do so becoming a heavy factor in balancing the game.

Well the damage is different in every game.
I have to disagree with "easy". Pulling off combos since bound is subjectively easier than without it.
You're seeing it from the guy performing the combo. Seeing it from the guy receiving the damage, bound/floor/wall hits made Tekken actually more boring.
Juggles are longer, there are more possibilities for 60%+ combos (with wall carries) and no way of escaping it when near a wall.

I believe this led to Tekken being "boring to watch", T7 wasn't even a Sunday game at Evo. People don't enjoy watching juggle combos and extensions.

Turtling in Tekken is really hard: many low-mid or low-high natural combos.
More overheads than your average fighter, more frame traps ..
Sure you can't backstep or korean backdash, but that won't keep your opponent away from you forever.

I was completely wrong about floor breaks, I had forgotten only bound moves cause the floor to break (among another type which I forgot, I think slam).

AAK

Well the damage is different in every game.
I have to disagree with "easy". Pulling off combos since bound is subjectively easier than without it.

Execution wise, then yes, the statement is quite subjective because both games can have ridiculously hard combo's to optimize. What I mean by 'work" in this context is mental work. The execution aspect isn't the only thing to think about while doing a combo, you also have to think about which move to use in the current juggle you're engaged in. The introduction of bound gives the player the ability to utilize so many more commands in Tekken's movelist that were originally impossible to incorporate which can give you more to think about. Of coarse you can play doing the same simple B&B you find convenient over and over without ever optimizing, but the fact still remains the introduction of bound which opened up the juggle-compatible moveset allowed for a lot more creativity in doing the juggles.

You're seeing it from the guy performing the combo. Seeing it from the guy receiving the damage, bound/floor/wall hits made Tekken actually more boring.
Juggles are longer, there are more possibilities for 60%+ combos (with wall carries) and no way of escaping it when near a wall.

I believe this led to Tekken being "boring to watch", T7 wasn't even a Sunday game at Evo. People don't enjoy watching juggle combos and extensions.

Now this, is a subjective statement. As someone that understands how Tekken is played, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is one of the most impressive competitive games to behold knowing what and how the players are utilizing the immense plethora of tools the game opened to them. But I aknnowledge that it's a subjective statement because this is what I enjoy spectating. IMO Tekken is now considered boring to watch because so many of the animations and art design have been recycled for so long and people are sick of them and want something now.

Turtling in Tekken is really hard: many low-mid or low-high natural combos.
More overheads than your average fighter, more frame traps ..
Sure you can't backstep or korean backdash, but that won't keep your opponent away from you forever.

Sure it's hard... but it's by far the most powerful and effective way to play the game. Anyone that has mastered the movement of Tekken can easily neutralize the gameplan of someone that's only focused on forcing their mid/low mixups. And hence walls played a huge factor in curbing that.

They should of stopped after Tekken Tag

Stop having fun you guys. Tekken is over, you can all go home.

OT: Expected, but PC should be no brain-er at this point. Anyway, I got a chance to play it in Dallas this past summer, but I got my ass handed to me by what turned out to be the Hardcore DFW scene. Several of those guys were actually on website tourney promo stuff. I bet they were at EVO, like, just days later or something, they were so good.

Looking forward to not having to struggle with a stick this time.

Xpliskin

Execution wise, then yes, the statement is quite subjective because both games can have ridiculously hard combo's to optimize. What I mean by 'work" in this context is mental work. The execution aspect isn't the only thing to think about while doing a combo, you also have to think about which move to use in the current juggle you're engaged in. The introduction of bound gives the player the ability to utilize so many more commands in Tekken's movelist that were originally impossible to incorporate which can give you more to think about. Of coarse you can play doing the same simple B&B you find convenient over and over without ever optimizing, but the fact still remains the introduction of bound which opened up the juggle-compatible moveset allowed for a lot more creativity in doing the juggles.

Now this, is a subjective statement. As someone that understands how Tekken is played, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is one of the most impressive competitive games to behold knowing what and how the players are utilizing the immense plethora of tools the game opened to them. But I aknnowledge that it's a subjective statement because this is what I enjoy spectating. IMO Tekken is now considered boring to watch because so many of the animations and art design have been recycled for so long and people are sick of them and want something now.

Sure it's hard... but it's by far the most powerful and effective way to play the game. Anyone that has mastered the movement of Tekken can easily neutralize the gameplan of someone that's only focused on forcing their mid/low mixups. And hence walls played a huge factor in curbing that.

Well you're saying it yourself, but that's exactly the problem if you want.
Longer juggles (with bound) with more wall carry options.

Of course watching Tekken, if you know what you're looking at, can be more entertaining and tense than SF/MVC.

My point was that the general public gets bored watching it because all they see is characters doing wonky "back and forths", get juggled to death and comboed off the ground trying to get up.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That said "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" or am I imaging it because no one has mentioned it.

Hutchie

I love the combo system, it all about getting the floater (alot of them are unsafe or side stepable) and knowing the follow up. Its also about knowing your surroundings and the stage you are fighting on. Its a fighting game after all so i personally want to hit my opponent as many times in a row as possible. Anyway in 6 onwards one or two combos are unlikely to kill you plus rage can help to make a comeback

Son Of D

In regards to a PC version, I won't be surprised if it comes along later after the PS4/XB1 releases. That or it's announced later.

AAK

Of course watching Tekken, if you know what you're looking at, can be more entertaining and tense than SF/MVC.

My point was that the general public gets bored watching it because all they see is characters doing wonky "back and forths", get juggled to death and comboed off the ground trying to get up.

I find it very interesting how you place the blame for Tekken's boredom on back and forth juggles and then provide MarvelvsCapcom as your counter argument.... A game infamous for its one touch kill juggles.

Can't we just get a remastered rebalanced T5DR?

I fucked up by not being serious about DR when the arcade scene meant something, instead focusing more on initial d like a fucktard.

This isn't true. Ultra Street Fighter has sold over 700,000 copies according to SteamSpy. Mortal Kombat (2009) sold over 950,000 copies for a 2 yr old port. Also, the formally busted but now somewhat decent MK X port has sold close to 400,000 copies. Injustice sold over 650,000 copies. Fighting games do sell on PC. However, there communities aren't as big as they are on consoles.

However, the crossplay with PS4 for SFV is very promising for keeping the community going on PC.

What, I didn't know sf5 is gonna be cross platform. Wish they CE also on pc...

This announcement made me nostalgic for my favourite era of Tekken (2-Tag), so I've been listening to the soundtracks all day.

Man, Tekken 3 had some belters. This has been my favourite so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpcdr4jQaLQ

Think it was just a PS1 era thing. So many great fighters with so many great soundtracks.

Stuff's still good today of course, but man.

Anyway, hyped for this!

AAK

Floor breaks are not RNG. Don't know where you got that from.

Only argument he may have regarding that is the Tekken 6 cemetery stage where the door break pressure points were difficult to pinpoint early on in the game.

lupinko

Can't we just get a remastered rebalanced T5DR?

I fucked up by not being serious about DR when the arcade scene meant something, instead focusing more on initial d like a fucktard.
DR already had good balance and was the balanced Tekken 5.

And we already have a remastered 1080p/60fps version on PSN.

Now what we need is Tag 2 Remastered 1080p on PS4/PC.

Xpliskin

Floor breaks are not RNG. Don't know where you got that from.

Lol yeah, I can get guaranteed floor breaks with Kat in Tekken 7.

Only argument he may have regarding that is the Tekken 6 cemetery stage where the door break pressure points were difficult to pinpoint early on in the game.

------->
I was completely wrong about floor breaks, I had forgotten only bound moves cause the floor to break (among another type which I forgot, I think slam).

I find it very interesting how you place the blame for Tekken's boredom on back and forth juggles and then provide MarvelvsCapcom as your counter argument.... A game infamous for its one touch kill juggles.

I knew someone would bring that up.

And of course between all the Sunday games (SF, SmashBros, MK9/Injustice/X , etc ... ) you chose marvel.

MvC has 1 touch kills yes, but there are 3 different characters to go through.
As well as X-factor, TACS, happy birthdays.
There are no special corner hits happening, it's just a 2D game corner.
There are zoning characters, assists to help out, air-game, etc ...

it's a weird comparison you're making. It's not even a 1v1 character game.
It's ok if you lack agruments.

The "back and forth" was backdashing in and out to provoke whiffs/mindgames.
But you could say it's a back and forth juggle fest, yes.

There's a reason why Tekkens are played on a Saturday and people drop out of the game after a while (at least in the west, now of course someone's going to bring up JustFrameJames, Rip or whatever ).

Eh expected, I just hope it comes out in 2016. I liked TTT2 but man was that a tad too complicated for me...;_;

Those Tekken Tag vets made me look horrible as opposed to T6/DR, where I stood a slightly better chance.

Guymelef

Umm.
The original trailer on the conference didn't have this screen... Must be a mistake from SCEE YouTube people or something.

When did they announce Tekken first on PS4 Beta?

They also get exclusive content too. (Maybe PS Characters?)

Blame cameraman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iNvG4MFrOU&feature=youtu.be&t=51m40s
But seems like the "Play The Beta first on PS4" is for start of Battleborn trailer and not for the end of Tekken 7 trailer.
And Battleborn beta is actually first on PS4.

So Tekken 7 is only exclusive content.

Creaking

Odd. Sony loves to wave around "exclusive", but they didn't mention anything beyond exclusive content.

SkylineRKR

Eh expected, I just hope it comes out in 2016. I liked TTT2 but man was that a tad too complicated for me...;_;

Those Tekken Tag vets made me look horrible as opposed to T6/DR, where I stood a slightly better chance.

I think the issue with TTT2 was that it didn't have a story mode that could introduce new players to its immense mechanics. The training mode wasn't all that either, its never as good as VF. The game had a fuck ton of characters and even more combinations of them. It was overwhelming for most.

I think I prefer TTT1's smaller roster.

Top Bottom