• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR's external processor revealed.

In this photo, they seem to have it set up completely (there was a video interview with this photo where it was operational), and the only thing plugged into the front is the Move charger.
Im wondering if we are 100% sure it will plug into the front USB?

Not sure about that, the tv's reflection shows 2 wires going away from the charger to the back.

jaypah

Like I said, some niche titles would work OK (flower and journey spring to mind). Anything with small text is going to be tough to play. Good luck with the Witcher 3 inventory screens on your simulated 480p giant screen!

I haven't played any RPGs on virtual screens. Just racers, shooters, platformers, fighting games...things like that. So for the majority of my library I'd be absolutely fine. And like I said, this isn't guesswork. I actually already do this. It's whatever though. Even if PSVR didn't support it the genie is out of the bottle on PC so I'm covered forever. I just wanted people who would only have a PSVR to be able to experience it if they wanted to.

Diffense

Anyone else irrationally bothered by the random bracket in the thread title?

I'ts the first thing I noticed. Then I read the thread title. Where's the other one?
[ ] Is that so hard? :p

Anyway, not too interested in VR yet.
I like the the fact that they'll be showing something on the TV as well though.
It would be very isolating otherwise. It would be very annoying for others to see the player react without having any idea what they're seeing.

I haven't played any RPGs on virtual screens. Just racers, shooters, platformers, fighting games...things like that. So for the majority of my library I'd be absolutely fine. And like I said, this isn't guesswork. I actually already do this. It's whatever though. Even if PSVR didn't support it the genie is out of the bottle on PC so I'm covered forever. I just wanted people who would only have a PSVR to be able to experience it if they wanted to.

If you want to buy an OR devkit to play non-VR games on a big low-res virtual screen that's up to you.

Personally it seems a bit pointless. If that's what I wanted I wouldn't bother with a headset at all; I'd just sit really close to my TV without wearing my contact lenses.

Upinsmoke

I hope it's affordable. I mean i'll buy it regardless but i want it to sell so it's attractive enough to get quality titles on there long term.

No power pass-thru/piggyback? Booo. I hope and expect that it's at least an in-line adapter like the Vita's, and not a wall wart (yes, I'm aware the Vita's is 5V).

No camera plug/USB pass-thru/piggyback? Booo. Hopefully they include a nice custom cable that blends nicely with the PS4 form factor. I like to use flat ribbon USB cables so I can route them down and underneath the PS4 to the back for a tidier look. Interesting that the USB plug on the back of the expansion box appears to be a micro USB2.0 plug, not a "double-wide" USB3.0.
(Edit: okay, so looks like no-USB-piggyback is still undetermined)

Someone could make a few bucks if they'd just develop a simple adapter set that changed the camera plug to a standard USB3.0 female port, with a corresponding adapter for the camera to make it a standard male, so you could add a hub in the back, or just use it standalone for other accessories.

Also, I really wish we could get more promo pics/gifs/vids in this side-by-side format:
inFwOfe.jpg
I like being able to do the eye-crossing (un-crossing?) trick to get the 3d effect. It would also be awesome if they allow you to set the TV output from the breakout box to be in 3d for 3d-equipped HDTVs (though I've been disappointed with this gen's 3dTV support, so I won't hold my breath).

Diffense

It's kind of funny that so many people who hated Wiimote/Move/Kinect motion controls might be "waggling" with VR. At least you got practice right? lol

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's kind of funny that so many people who hated Wiimote/Move/Kinect motion controls might be "waggling" with VR. At least you got practice right? lol
Move was never waggle. Move was always 6DOF, unlike Kinect or the Wii Remote.

I will be starting with the Rift, but I an excited to see how this product pans out.

IMO the Rift will be the ultimately more expensive of the two products thanks to the cost of entry on PC itself being higher (the GTX 970, the minimum recommended GPU, is £250 alone) but will provide the more adventurous games and software. Morpheus on the other hand will have more traditional stuff for the console audience.

VR will need its Doom/Myst/Everquest/SF2 etc genre-launching title, which might take a while, but it is shaping up tbe very exciting.

OK, you say that the PSVR has "a greater density of pixels at the center of the screen".

This is news to me: I thought the pixels were evenly distributed across the panel.

I've watched the hardware section of the video you linked, but found nothing stating that the pixels were closer together in the centre of the panel than at the edges.

Can you let me know at what point in the video they make this statement, or point me towards something else that supports what you are saying, please?

longdi

Banned
$299 for a camera, two move controllers, processing box, and headset.

I can dream

I think that is a fair price to pay.

If just the box and glasses, i wont pay more than $199, seeing that it does not come with its own CPU/GPU/RAM etc to aid the processing...sounds a lot just like a dumb video-out box.

I know there's zero in common beyond the superficial surface details, but I can't not get those crazy Sega MegaDrive/CD/32X w/ stacked carts image out of my head here. I.e, a lot of shit piled next to/on top of each other simply to play one game xD.

Jokes aside, does little to dampen my excitement over this, especially if Dreams supports the device. Still not sure when exactly that game is coming, but that would probably be the moment I bite.

Guymelef

I'm really hoping that it won't plug into the front, and this photo gives me more reason to believe that they'll use some kind of passive USB hub plugged into the AUX connector to let the camera and breakout box share the same USB3 connection.

Can you tell from the photo where the USB and camera cables are going?

PS4 doesn't have back USB, the back port is for PS4 camera, which you will need for PS VR, so you have to connect VR in the front.

PS4 doesn't have back USB, the back port is for PS4 camera, which you will need for PS VR, so you have to connect VR in the front.

Thanks. I know where the ports are on a PS4. The AUX connection for the camera is a USB3 socket with a custom connector, right? And USB hubs let you connect more than one device to a single port, so it's a possibility. It might not happen, but there's no technical reason for it not to.

You're cynical about the mainstream and easy solution PSVR will offer then pray for PC as PSVR might have been announced later but it's a pivotal part of VR being a success.

And no one has made any gripes about these things being cheap. Not Oculus, HTC, or Sony.

The plug and play nature of this solution on PS4 will be one of the most potent and easiest to deliver.

VR isn't about realism as much as it is about that believable immersion.

I suggest people watch this good talk about VR to get a decent grasp on what game creators are seeing with PSVR.

https://youtu.be/M5rMGhDmFAQ

Yeah, I'm very likely getting one. Hopefully the price is decent.

How can it be possible to like someone yet hate someone at the same time?

LOL

jaypah

If you want to buy an OR devkit to play non-VR games on a big low-res virtual screen that's up to you.

Personally it seems a bit pointless. If that's what I wanted I wouldn't bother with a headset at all; I'd just sit really close to my TV without wearing my contact lenses.

Uh, it is what I did. In addition to playing Project Cars and several other games in actual VR. I don't know why it's so crazy to have options. And like I said, I'm good on my end. If I want to play a non-VR game or watch videos or surf the web or just use my PC in general on a gigantic screen I'll always have the option. Options are great.

Danlord

OK, you say that the PSVR has "a greater density of pixels at the center of the screen".

This is news to me: I thought the pixels were evenly distributed across the panel.

I've watched the hardware section of the video you linked, but found nothing stating that the pixels were closer together in the centre of the panel than at the edges.

Can you let me know at what point in the video they make this statement, or point me towards something else that supports what you are saying, please?

15 minutes, 19 seconds into the linked video he explains that they have a higher concentration of smaller pixels at the center of the screen and larger pixels towards the edges. He's specifically talking about the screen, and then mentions that it's similar to how the human eye works.

Pif

Banned
Got the old lady into the hype train. If the price is right, day 1.

Any news if PSVR can also serve as a HMD to watch movies ?

MrGerbils

$299 for a camera, two move controllers, processing box, and headset.

I can dream

PS Move controller - $30 x 2 = $60

Headset - $350

PS Camera - $50

Processing box - $???? but at least $50 of cost in there right when a simple hdmi splitter can cost $25.

So if bought separately, this would likely come in at over $500. They're gonna bundle it and wanna move it out the door so the price will be lower, but I can't see anyway this setup could go under $400.. unless the headset is crap quality compared to the Oculus DK2.

Depending on what's inside that breakout box, I could see this as actually costing more than $500, especially because Sony isn't really at a place right now to take a loss on selling hardware in order to move units. They need this to make a profit.

Uhm.. I shared the exact moment when the statement is about to be made, check the URL. Just in case it doesn't work for you it's 15m19s+

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I read an article which seemed to indicate that the second (multiplayer) viewpoint was rendered separately, encoded to H264 using the Share hardware and piped to the external PSVR box over USB. The breakout box then decodes the stream and sends it out on the TV HDMI.

Interesting. Do you recall which article it was?

PS Move controller - $30 x 2 = $60

Headset - $350

PS Camera - $50

Processing box - $???? but at least $50 of cost in there right when a simple hdmi splitter can cost $25.

So if bought separately, this would likely come in at over $500. They're gonna bundle it and wanna move it out the door so the price will be lower, but I can't see anyway this setup could go under $400.. unless the headset is crap quality compared to the Oculus DK2.

Depending on what's inside that breakout box, I could see this as actually costing more than $500, especially because Sony isn't really at a place right now to take a loss on selling hardware in order to move units. They need this to make a profit.

You can't directly compare the PSVR HMD to the Oculus Rift, it will cost less to produce and they'll probably produce more of it. By itself it will probably be around $200, the processing box will increase the price somewhat, so a standalone PSVR HMD (including the external unit) will be around $200-250 in my estimation.

A complete PSVR starter pack including moves and the camera will probably be around $300-350

Sony already stated that it won't be priced in a way to make a profit.

Interesting. Do you recall which article it was?

It was from a 4gamer interview with Sony VP Masayasu Ito. link

It's in Japanese, which I don't read, but Google Translate seems to have made a reasonable job of it.

Here's a copy of the relevant section:

"Briefly summarized, PS4 is while outputting video via HDMI to PSVR, it renders the image of a different point of view to be a television, PS4 did on MPEG-4 video streamed on the side of the H.264 encoder integrated into the APU, I for transmission via USB to PSVR of interface box "Processing Unit". Processing Unit which has received the stream data, decodes this, the HDMI output to the display device in their first."

One other bit from the same interview is that there was some consideration given to building two HDMI ports into the PS4, which would have removed the need for the breakout box, but conversely would have left the PS4 having to do the extra few bits of processing currently assigned to the extra box.

McHuj

This thing is supposed to launch first half of 2016, right?

I'm surprised they haven't given a more concrete launch date and price as we're basically in a 6 month window. CES event maybe?

15 minutes, 19 seconds into the linked video he explains that they have a higher concentration of smaller pixels at the center of the screen and larger pixels towards the edges. He's specifically talking about the screen, and then mentions that it's similar to how the human eye works.
Peripheral vision simulation? Nice.

Uhm.. I shared the exact moment when the statement is about to be made, check the URL. Just in case it doesn't work for you it's 15m19s+

OK, when I open it using Chrome on my phone it took me to the start of the video.

You're right, and there's no room for ambiguity, but I find it really hard to understand: it must push the manufacturing costs up compared to screens with an even pixel density. I would have thought this could be accomplished using the optics of the lenses, rather than changing the pixel layout on the OLED screens.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I learned something new today.

Elandyll

Banned
This thing is supposed to launch first half of 2016, right?

I'm surprised they haven't given a more concrete launch date and price as we're basically in a 6 month window. CES event maybe?
It seems like Sony was always trying to position it as its own thing rather than a PS4 device (which it obviously is), and I think the initial official reveal was at GDC 2014 actually. So... CES seems likely, and at worst GDC even though it would seem late for a Q2 release.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Are people going to act surprised or shocked every time we get this info?

I know, I remember hearing about this way back in October.

Sony has confirmed games will run in 120fps, and lower frame rates or dips will be lifted to hit that high mark via reprojection. Obviously smoothness is important for VR. How do they do all this with only the power of PS4? Answer: they don't!

The VR headset connects to a co-processing unit that looks like a miniature PS4 and can sit on your entertainment unit next to your TV. This provides extra power to drive the visuals to the PSVR, and it also feeds a flat, 2D, full-screen image to the TV (so no, you don't need to sacrifice TV output to use it).

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/dig...s-playstation-vr-headset-20151026-gkj3wx.html

The increase in size doesn't make sense for what is essentially a glorified hdmi splitter. Has to do more or be able to do other tasks now.

I'm just gonna take a guess and say the external box is now capable enough to render a 3d environment for non-VR games like a theater room.

It's obvious that the PS4 can't do this by itself.

Is this picture in the article? I would be a for sure first adopter if it had a confirm theater room experience for when the TV is being used elsewhere or just for a possibly better experience.

Top Bottom