• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

giveaway: STAR GHOST for Wii U - NA, EU, AUS - shmup with some Wise tunes!

maxcriden

Star Ghost recently released on the Wii U eShop. I've got one NA, one EU, and one AUS copy to give away.

885x.jpg

The game was famously referred to as "Balloon Fight meets Gradius" by Metacritic user redDKtie. It's a shmup, with DKCR-style rocket barrel controls, a distinctive lack of bullet hell (which makes sense since its setting is amongst the stars, which are often called the heavens!), and a rockin' David Wise OST.

Aw yeah. David WISE.

Er, hem. So, here's the OT, made by my delightful friend jariw.

Stealing some pertinent deets from there:

FEATURES• Dynamic level generation
• 12 Star Systems
• Sound track by David Wise
• Simple control system
• Off-TV play

GAME DESCRIPTION
• Levels are dynamically created, but the skill curve is similar for each new game.
• Each star system have around 6 stages, except the very first star systems (these star systems have less stages).
• The ship is controlled in a similar way to how the rocket barrel levels in Donkey Kong Country Returns or Tropical Freeze control, using the thrust to control the height.
• Movement left/right of the ship doesn't exist.

DEVELOPER

The game has been developed and designed by Rhys Lewis. Prior to founding Squarehead, Rhys was the A.I. lead at Retro Studios, and before that he was at Rare. He has contributed to a number of well-known titles, including Banjo-Kazooie, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

How to Enter

To enter, tell me about about an under-appreciated shmup you enjoyed *or* your favorite Wise tune. (But I mean, don't just post a link. I want to hear what you got out of this shmup or musical track.)

Also, be sure to specify your region!

You may enter as may times as you like, but you can only win one copy.

I will choose winners in a few days so you can get your stellar ghostly gaming on very soon!

Disclaimer: I do not work for Squarehead Studios or any game company. If I'm giving away an eShop or other game in a thread like this, the codes are usually provided by the publisher or developer, but I am not being paid or asked to do this.

Thanks for the contest!

Hmm, an underappreciated shmup gem? Imma have to go with In The Hunt. It is not the best shmup (not even my favorite) but it's definitely unique. In most of the levels, you're limited by the surface of the water. This leads to some interesting dilemmas. Bombs and missles dropped from above the water will become overwhelming if you don't surface to destroy those ships, but then you're sacrificing some maneuverability. Some levels force you to travel through very, very shallow waters.

Region: USA

Everytime people talk about shoot 'em ups from the 8/16-bit era, they talk about Thunder Force, R-Type, Gradius, Axelay... for some weird reason, people never talk about how great Gaiares was.

Gaiares3.jpg

I was in love from the moment I read "Renovation" on the box. You know, they're the Telenet guys, the wizards that created some of the best (and sadly also forgotten) soundtracks on the Genesis. They used wonderful anime art in their games. They were different, they were bold, they were amazing.

hqdefault.jpg

Gaiares is pure shooting pleasure. You face wave after wave of enemies, using the TOZ capsule attached to your ship to steal weapons from the enemies. It's freaking awesome when, after stealing three of four weapon types, you realize you'll keep finding new types until the end of the game.

If you haven't played this, turn up the volume and watch the first 60 seconds of stage 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rB1zOo7Kt8

You can thank me later. Unless you have epilepsy, then you're probably screwed by now.

Region: Canada

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I've always loved Life Force (Salamander in Japan). I can't say exactly why I prefer it to Gradius even though they're extremely similar gameplay wise. The Life Force/
Salamader series never got the attention (or the sequels) that the Gradius series got, though.

Lifeforce_arcade_title_JP.png
lforce2.png

(NA region)

Zarovitch

In the last days i got a urge to play some shmup and discovery Steel Empire. I'm about to finish this gem. A new one would came at the right moment.
Canada here!

UCBooties

Favorite shmup?

Mine probably barely counts but... fuck it.

Sigma Star Saga!

Sigma_Star.jpg

It's a sidescrolling space shooter/RPG hybrid for the Gameboy Advance!

images

Does it work? Sort of!

Sure the controls aren't as precise as most fans of the genre would demand, and sometimes the random encounter system pulls you into a ship that makes it nearly impossible to complete the run, but the game is so weird and quirky and charming that I can't help but love and recommend it.

Edit: NA Region

Nintenleo

Star_Soldier_R_screenshot_01.PNG

I'm from Italy, EU. I've played a lot of shumps when I was a kid and I loved games like Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun or the DoDonpachi series. But nothing got me addicted like Star Soldier R, a really underappreciated gem made by Hudson. A WiiWare exclusive (one of the games that launched with the service in 2008 if I remember correctly) that was just perfect for high score seekers.

It was quite short and the level design of some parts of the two available levels (yes, there were only two playable levels) wasn't so great, but the game (and in particular the combo system) was fast and fun. Perfect for short sessions. I spent an entire summer trying to get the highest scores of Italy and Europe and I was always in the top 5 and top 10 at the time, at least in Italy. Well, I guess that it was quite easy, because I think that the game didn't sell very well. :D

Anyway, Star Soldier R represent one of my fondest memories in gaming.

And, about David Wise, in my opinion no underwater themes can compete against Acquatic Ambience of DKC. It made those water levels so cool to play. I don't know if it was composed entirely by David Wise, but it's my favourite song of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp1BK1MDjRc

Zarovitch

I just remember one.

The gardian legend for the NES.
Part shmup part action adventure.
That was really fun but i don't know how was the reception.

NA

Fularu

Banned
My favorite shmup so few people mention is Sokyugurentai (Terra Diver I believe)

It has an amazing Saturn port and a prety solid PSOne port too

The music is great, the paying excellent and No one ever talks about it, which is a real shame

My region is US :p

GWX

Favorite Wise track is a damn hard question to answer, but I'm gonna try.

...and what I came up with was Seashore War - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Also known as "Chilly Coast", this is the most emotional song in a video game soundtrack to me. It's so serene, but at the same time so intense. The sounds of I can only describe as "winter noises" (just like I hear them in Christmas commercials from the US and the like, as it's not winter here during that season - or have snow anytime of the year whatsoever) makes for a haunting beginning, which makes me wonder how it would be to interact with snow (people say snow is shitty and annoying, but I always wanted to live in a place where it would snow during winter). When the intermission is over and the rest of the instruments hit I just get floored every time I listen to it. So beautiful. And at the very end, when the amazing percussion and the phenomenal string instrument (I think?) hit, I'm in heaven. Best song in an OST ever, and one of my favorite songs in music.

edit: btw, amazing giveaway! My region is NA (Canada).

-shadow-

When having to chose a track it has to be Mining Melancholy (SNES).

I love how the track is build up, you have the sounds of mining in the background and it forms the baseline for the entire track. Not a single point in the track does it seem that the miners aren't working and that they're always nearby. It really adds to the level, it always feels as if while you are jumping and running around in the mines that you're about to run into one of them. Especially when the choir section starts it's as if they're having to entertain themselves while working, and that's their solution.

I'm not entirely sure if this would count as a SHMUP, but I really enjoyed Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar.

While the console it's on is a complete disaster. This game is surprisingly good regardless of that. The game controls just fine without a problem, and there's some fun variety in how the levels are laid out. Some play in a tube, while others in triangles and others on mostly flat planes. It was already somewhat aged even when it was released wasn't the best in what it was, but I still enjoyed it when I played it last time. Now of course I can't mention the game without mentioning the amazing soundtrack CD that came with it. Some great trance tracks and few other genres. Different from what you hear in-game, but that doesn't take away from it.

(EU)

ryan13ts

Not sure if it counts, but I'm going to say it either way

airzonktitle--article_image.jpg

I LOVE this game

Easily my favorite TG16 game, as well as my favorite shooter ever. I initially just bought this game on a whim for a few bucks, not expecting much, but was delighted to find one of the most fun, creative shooters ever. I've played this game more times than I can count, so I hold it very near and dear to me. Everything about the game just clicks with me, and it's not often that this happens.

The gameplay is pretty simple for the most part, controlling Zonk, Bonk's futuristic counterpart and being able to move around the screen shooting things up. What makes this game so much damn fun is the powerups and buddy system. There 7 types of weapons, each with unique attack animations/properties and each can be charged to produce a super effect (My favorite is the playing cards and boomerang cutter). If that wasn't enough, at the beginning of the stage, you can pick a buddy to come along with you. Picking up 1 big smily icon lets the buddy come on screen and help you fight, but picking up another transforms you into an unholy marriage of Zonk and his buddy, becoming invincible and raining hell upon your foes. The transformations range from super cute to just flat out weird.

airzonk-3.png

Another big part of why I like this game is the charm and design. Each stage is unique, ranging from underwater levels to a freaking baseball stadium. On top of that, the levels change midstage, shifting backgrounds in a very cool and smooth transition. The enemy designs are great, a lot of them being futuristic takes on classic Bonk enemies. Everything just has a goofy and zany feel to it, like it hopped out of a cartoon sometimes and it's just as great to look at is it is to play.

05.png

Lastly, the difficulty is perfect IMO. There are different difficulty modes, but the standard one feels just right. It'll keep you on your toes throughout, making forcing you to improve your shooting skills if you want to see the ending screen but it never feels unfair or cheap. When you die, it's generally because it's you own fault, the mark of a well balanced game IMO. That last level can be a gauntlet though, making you go through various parts of the level, fighting almost every boss again, and then having a showdown with King Drool himself (Who has more than 1 form). That said, the game gives you many chances at extra lives and you can continue as much as you want in the event of a game over, so you have plenty of time to master it as much as you want and see the end of the game.

Simply put, this game is a masterpiece. It's uniquely different from almost every shooter I've played and I think everyone should give it a try at least once. If you're a fan of the genre, it's a must. This game has a sequel (Rockabilly Paradise) but it takes away a lot of what made this game so fantastic (weapon system, buddies) so it's nowhere near the level of greatness as the original. Basically, check it out!

NA region here OP.

Nightbird

My favorite unknown Shmup is Beat Hazard Ultra, a mobile game that adjusts to your music. It's really awesome, and made me love the genre.
It offers multiple difficulties, a survival mode, boss rush mode, and tons and tons of unlockables/achievements. It's a addicting game.
And I think it's also on Steam!

As for my favorite David wise track, I think stickerbrush Symphony does the trick. I obviously got to know the track trough smashbros, but I also like the original a lot.

Camjo-Z

whoa max when did you get your thread powers back

Will write something up later, these threads tend to have some really good (and obscure) recommendations.

Unknown to many and thus a bit underloved: Space Manbow by Konami

250px-Space_Manbow_Cover.jpg

Overview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71xD9LyJm90
Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcZJ64PgtgA
Great soundtrack (including early work of the legendary Michiru Yamane): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUe6ufdrWUE

I'm very fond of this game, and it's a real shame that it was never really ported. It was released in the Japanese Wii Virtual Console and apparently also available on mobile phones over there. But other than that Konami seems to have completely forgotten about it, even though it's an excellent shoot 'em up.

I'm in Europe.

weekev

Banned
Great to see you get your member status back Max! Im going to enter for EU with a random entry.

My favourite Shmup experience in recent times has been the transformation levels of Yoshi's Wooly World. That came was amazing and the transformation levels (despite the framerate issues) were my favourite part of the entire game, they are just incredibly fun to play, the aesthetic is charming and the gameplay is actually really fluent with the pressure of the time limit and collectibles to make it slightly challenging.

Couldnt find a video of solely this part but if you skip to 4:15 in this video, it will show the awesome shmupness that is aeroplane Yoshi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSt3o2TPVo

1476641022086384532.jpg

Iridion 2 for the GBA

http://www.racketboy.com/images/iridion2-11.jpg

I remeber the day I say the first screenshots of that game and I was just blown away...couldn't velieve what I was seeing was really on the GBA.
The first game was okay but the second really delivered an great shopter experience. It was a well made package with superb graphics, good controls and even some nice music tracks.
And to play something like that on an handheld was such a step in the future. A few years earlier we still had the OG Game Boy and Snake on our cellphones so this was truely something you never had experienced before on an handheld. Great times. :)

I'm from the EU btw. ;)

GaussTek

Love David Wise music <3

I have two favorite tunes from him, one old and one new:

Old one, has to be Life in Mines from DKC1:
https://youtu.be/FcklfVCEAcg

I mean, it's just amazing, I remember staying just there in a level for hours just to listen to it.

New one, Seashore War from DKC Tropical Freeze
https://youtu.be/Boqy0Q-4c_M

I remember Wise saying that was one of his favorites. And, when everyone thought he wasn't capable of making another amazing soundtrack for the DKC series, he came back for TF and did an AWESOME work. I dare to say that the OST is the best part of the game, and without it, TF wouldn't be as great.

So, that's basically it. I'm in NA region btw :D Thanks for the chance!

gblues

Banned
Star Ghost recently released on the Wii U eShop. I've got one NA, one EU, and one AUS copy to give away.

The game was famously referred to as "Balloon Fight meets Gradius" by Metacritic user redDKtie. It's a shmup, with DKCR-style rocket barrel controls, a distinctive lack of bullet hell (which makes sense since its setting is amongst the stars, which are often called the heavens!), and a rockin' David Wise OST.

Aw yeah. David WISE.

Er, hem. So, here's the OT, made by my delightful friend jariw.

Stealing some pertinent deets from there:

How to Enter

To enter, tell me about about an under-appreciated shmup you enjoyed *or* your favorite Wise tune. (But I mean, don't just post a link. I want to hear what you got out of this shmup or musical track.)

Also, be sure to specify your region!

You may enter as may times as you like, but you can only win one copy.

I will choose winners in a few days so you can get your stellar ghostly gaming on very soon!

Disclaimer: I do not work for Squarehead Studios or any game company. If I'm giving away an eShop or other game in a thread like this, the codes are usually provided by the publisher or developer, but I am not being paid or asked to do this.

My first Compile shooter was Blazing Lazers on the TG-16. That game was fun as hell, and I got pretty far--which is rare for me, as I tend to suck at shmups.

gappvembe

Does section Z for the NES count? That was a bit unique because of all the different ways you could go.

Silver Surfer was pretty hard. The angry video game episode of it was great.
USA

Gunbird 2 on the Dreamcast was my gateway drug into shooters. Its expansive cast of characters, its dozens of endings, and its randomized stage order and wonderfully scaling difficulty made for replay value that few other shooters ever reached. It was also just fun (and goofy) as hell. Probably messed up a TV playing it in tate mode, was worth it.

USA! USA! USA!

E-flux

I remember liking Sigma star saga for the GBA, it was a mix between a top down rpg and a shmup, every random encounter would be a small shmup stage which i thought was really cool. The sad thing is that i forgot that i had left the game on the table of the hostel i was staying in Amsterdam, never bought it again mainly because i couldn't find the game in stores anymore back at home.

Oh and i'm fishing for the EU code.

gba_sigma.png

hqdefault.jpg

suikodan

My favorite David Wise track is from Battletoads and Double Dragon's intro. It was so intense and at the time, the duo team was a blast! I still listen to it from times to times.

NA code. Thanks for this!

Glix

My favorite cult shmup is Skykid. (edit - NA)

I played this game a ton as a kid on my NES with a buddy of mine. It always seemed so mysterious, you could loop back to get behind guys, and sometimes stuff would just appear if you looped in the right place?

And the game was HARD. Or at least as a kid with no internet resources it seemed that way (see Milons Secret Castle)

rip-skykid.gif

EDIT 2 - You did great with this thread, even if I don't win this game is very much on my radar. Always looking for good WiiU games.

Famassu

My favorite shmup is still probably Axelay. It's not necessarily the most amazingly deep shmup from a mechanics POV, but it offers some nice boss fights, varied levels (from the relatively normal first level to flying above futuristic cities, going through weird-ass caves, lave fields, sinister space ship etc.), great music, atmosphere that's quite unlike anything I've experienced since and it was really fucking awesome looking game when it was released.

EU here.

Dambrosi

Banned
Let me tell you a little story about my childhood, and the part a robotic rabbit played in it.

Back in the...I wanna say late 80s, Liverpool had three arcades, practically right next to each other on Lime Street, the main road to the railway station that fed the Manchester and London lines. The road was permanently busy, much more than it is these days, and that created a sweltering, exhaustive humidity whatever the weather, from which a welcome escape was the air conditioning in Alladin's Palace, the one closest to the town centre entrance in Renshaw Street. Though that was a great arcade, which often had the very latest loke test machines (Outrunners, The X-Men/Simpsons 4-player cabs and the first Neo Geo games come readily to mind), it was the smaller, open-plan place beside it that really took my...I wanna say 12-year-old self to that higher plane, since it was easier to get into than the heavy-doored Palace or the larger one with the Street Fighter 1 cab with those pressure pads you had to punch as hard as you could to do anything around the corner, and besides, the middle one (whose name I cannot for the life of me recall) had Arkanoid, my favourite game of the time, and Halley's Comet, which looked cool with its all-green pallette and dynamic power-up system. I don't think either of them are as good now, but the one I do remember was a little horizontal shmup called Rabio Lepus, though the coin-op was known by its English title of Rabbit Punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJDkx5n0_r4

The game was cute, colourful, weird like a motherfucker, and murderously hard. The story was even more irrelevant than most shmups of the time; all I needed to know was I was a robot wabbit with sneakers on that could fire homing carrot missiles that it collected by shooting floating cans of tinned carrots. The levels were chock full of obstacles that made doing so difficult, with relentless enemies with precision aim that made collecting them essential to progress. However, my robbits had shields that allowed them to take three hits before dying, and also a mighty close-up attack resembling a small yellow boxing glove that shot out from the front of the craft (hence the English title, yeah?). The game itself was Konami E3 press conference levels of whacked out, and my prepubescent, daydreamy self loved it for it. It was the cause of much sagging off from school and wasted lunch money, but do you see any regrets here? Nope.

Then, in the late 80s, the Tory government of the time decided to tax the ever-loving hell out of video arcades for whatever ideological reason, and though the arcades continued to offer the best gaming they could for 20p a go, everyone knew the game was up. That, along with the advent of the 16-bit consoles with their Sonics and Marios, spelt the end of the video arcade as a sustainable business model. Though the Neo-Geo and Sega/Capcom/Namco/Konami kept things going as best they could, the arcades of Lime Street shrank back, increased their prices, and eventually closed down. The first of them to bite it was the unnames arcade in the middle, not too long after the tax hike hit. To my resigned disappointment, they took the Rabbit Punch machine with them.

To my delight, however, I (much later) learned that a port of the game was made for the then-object-of-mystery-and-desire (in the UK), the PC Engine. Now, in the hardcore gamer circles I tried to fit into, the PC Engine was one of those expensive Japanese machines hardly anyone had heard of, and almost nobody had even seen - some of the local games shops even resorted to playing VHS tapes of the latest games from Nippon, mostly Dragonball Z games and the like, but also some others like Street Fighter 2 and the like. It was on one of these tapes that I saw a familiar game beyind the tracking wipes and snowy interference, a game called Rabio Lepus for PC Engine. I asked the guy behind the counter if that was Rabbit Punch, but he had no clue, so I did the only reaearch I could in those pre-Google days - games mags in the nearby WH Smiths. One look in C&VG and behold - in a piece on the PC Engine in their import section, a single tiny screenshot, with the name Rabbit Punch next to it (literally the only words on it in the whole section). Yes! Now I only had to get my hands on a PC Engine...

Forward 10 years, and I finally manage to buy a PC Engne GT, the handheld version of the console that ate batteries like I eat chips with mayonnaise. Thankfully, the thing came with a power adapter that worked withthe UK Mains; unfortunately, the small selection of games available to me did not contain Rabio Lepus, though Vigilante and Legendary Axe kept me busy for a long time...until I was forced to sell the console to pay my nan's debts (don't ask, it was a dificult time). I gave up on ever playing it again after that, until...

Last year, I was browsing Twitch (as you do) when I saw a streamer called KitschTwentyTwo, who lives in Japan and (at the time) did a show called the JAMMA Hour Of Power, playing actual arcade games on actual arcade hardware. Intrigued, I watched, then folowed, then chatted up a storm about my arcade experiences with a rapidly growing, extremely friendly community. In its earliest days (last November, to be exact), Kitsch ran several raffles, with actual gaming hardware as prizes, to promote his channel and get more followers in. I was lucky enough to win one of them (a Pana Custom supergun, which can connect to and play actual JAMMA boards on a TV or monitor) and to be given another by a generous winner who didn't need his prize - a PC Engine Core Grafx! I honestly don't know which I was happier to have obtained, but the PC Engine gets the most use of the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exe3b5ZpEJo

You wanna know the kicker? I haven't even bought a copy of Rabio Lepus yet. I keep forgetting! Also, it's apparently really short? I might be better off just playing it on MAME? Well, fuck. I guess that's nostalgia for ya!

Oh yeah, if I win, make mine Mar--er, EU.

Vandole

I've always been a sucker for cute 'em ups, but they tend to be a little on the easy side or they go the opposite direction and are so hard you want to cry. Ordyne had a nice balance to it though. It totally has the cute vibe, and just the right amount of challenge. It's always been a favorite mine, and I still play through it once a year or so on my Wii VC copy. Also NA region. &#128512;

Ju83Hyp.jpg

Deft Beck

Everyday Shooter is like shooting away all of my worries to the tune of a thousand guitars in perfect harmony. It's a bit old by now, but it's on PS3, PSP and Steam.

BooJoh

NA here.

I don't know if this game could be called underrated, but for me it was certainly a rare find.

When I lived in the Colorado Springs area in the 90s, I used to frequently go to a small used game store called the Video Game Exchange, I have no idea if it's still there or not. Most of the times I went I was looking for one thing: Game Boy games. One particular time I was there browsing the GB games when my eye caught sight of this little gem:
D58nbw4.jpg

My actual copy.
I had never heard of Parodius, but the colorful artwork and Japanese title caught my eye. I asked the owner if I could try it out and he put it in a GB and handed it to me to play for a bit. When I first fired it up there were four ships to choose from: Vic Viper, an octopus, Twinbee, and a penguin. Having played Gradius before I naturally picked Vic Viper first.

Sure enough it started off like a Gradius game, but then it almost immediately got weird. Flying syringes, killer whales, birds, penguins. The enemies in the game were bizarre, and when I got to the first boss, it was a boat with a cat's head and paws for oars. Everything about the game was so bizarre, I loved it.

6ZJkM8X.jpg

My teenage self had never played an import game - I wasn't even sure if this was in fact an import or some sort of parody bootleg - and finding this lying among all the other GB games for the same price, I just had to have it.

I now know that my game is apparently called Parodius Da! and is indeed a Japanese copy of a game that never released in NA. I've never had the chance to play any other Parodius games, but this one will always have a special significance to me. It's weird as hell, but it's a great game and serves as just one of the many steps on my road to becoming a fan of the genre.

Not sure if it's under-appreciated enough to fulfill your criteria, but I really loved Lords of Thunder for the TurboGrafx-CD. I first played the game a few years ago on the Wii Virtual Console.
The game stood out to me because of its setting and characters. Instead of controlling a space ship, you control a magical knight and depending on which armor you choose, you start with different weapons.

The intro sets the tone and tells the story without a single line of text.

The game is fairly challenging and gives you only a limited number of continues, so you can't just brute-force it to the end, but the varied levels, rocking background tunes and forgiving gameplay (energy bar instead of instant deaths) kept me playing until I beat it.

Hmm, don't want to sound like a review, so in conclusion: a perfect blend of fantasy and shoot 'em up.

And about David Wise songs: almost every game he scored has incredible, memorable tracks, making it impossible for me to pick just one. But I'll choose a song that I think is fairly unknown / under-appreciated and that is the intro of "Wizards & Warriors X: The Fortress of Fear". I played this game only a few times back when it was new, and I think I didn't even like it that much, but that damn music...! I remember downloading midi files of that song back then, and although it's only a short loop, it somehow manages to convey a feeling of mystery, fantasy and adventure.

Fortress of Fear intro (GB version) / (orchestral remix)

I'm from Europe, by the way :)

jholmes

Oh wow Max isn't a junior anymore? What is even happening anymore

Oh right I better post something about shooters.

Air_Fortress_Cover.png

Air Fortress is only really half a shoot-'em-up, with the other half sort of platformy. You do a typical side-view shoot-'em-up portion to get into each air fortress, and then blow them up from inside on foot (but you've got a jetpack!) It's got a really good sense of place for an early NES game and this is one of those early HAL games that Iwata worked on that no one really talks about anymore. Definitely worth a shot, I think it's really underrated. Really needs to find its way to the Virtual Console already!

And I'm Canadian :)

Not sure if it's under-appreciated enough to fulfill your criteria, but I really loved Lords of Thunder for the TurboGrafx-CD. I first played the game a few years ago on the Wii Virtual Console.

My first thought was Lords of Thunder and then I was like, hell no, in no way is that game underappreciated! But I'm glad it got brought up, it rules.

Sengoku Blade holds a special place in my heart as one of the constant arcade games I would get to play when my family went to Vietnam for reunions. I was able to avoid a lot of the more risque fan service material the game actually came with when I was a kid, but it was still a lot of fun for me to play all day long. Psikyo made a lot of shmup games, but this one was my favorite for its spritework and unique looking bosses. And also because I could be a ghostly robot samurai man.

The arcade that this was in, and the cabinet itself, is no longer in my parents' hometown, but when I heard it was available on Sega Saturn, I was willing to buy it no matter what the cost (which was steep).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I don't even have enough context about this game to tell you if it's actually good, but let's talk about Steel Empire.

This is the first shmup I remember putting a lot of time into. For some reason it stuck with me. I remember playing it a bunch when I was a kid, renting it from Blockbuster back when that was a thing. You could play as a little fighter plane or a big blimp.

SteelEmpire,The(gS).gif

648936-eos2.jpg

I thought it was cool seeing all the crazy ships and the flying fortresses that looked like big boats, and that everything was all gears and propellers. Played the game a lot, loved it, haven't played it in probably 20+ years, still remember it for some reason.

Dicer

Banned
Do you like Street Fighter?
Do you like SHMUPS?
So you like MANLY MUSCLY MEN?
If you said "YES" to any or all of these questions then boy, do I have a game for you.

8KZpFF3.jpg

Ah yes, Ai Cho Aniki for the PC Engine Super CD-Rom system

Unlike like most shmups this one plays a bit different instead of a ship you are "Samson" who shoots "protein" out of the hole in his head...no not that one silly. Pulling off Street fighter-esque moves will change the blob into a more deadly rain of sparkles or if you do it right the "MAN BEAM"
pic-10-cho-aniki.jpg

This game features wonderfully detailed sprites, impressive parallax and one hell of a soundtrack.

Longplay for those "insterested" ;)

@MUWANdo

Banned
So I don't even have enough context about this game to tell you if it's actually good, but let's talk about Steel Empire.

This is the first shmup I remember putting a lot of time into. For some reason it stuck with me. I remember playing it a bunch when I was a kid, renting it from Blockbuster back when that was a thing. You could play as a little fighter plane or a big blimp.

SteelEmpire,The(gS).gif

648936-eos2.jpg

I thought it was cool seeing all the crazy ships and the flying fortresses that looked like big boats, and that everything was all gears and propellers. Played the game a lot, loved it, haven't played it in probably 20+ years, still remember it for some reason.

In the last days i got a urge to play some shmup and discovery Steel Empire. I'm about to finish this gem. A new one would came at the right moment.
Canada here!

There's a port/remake on the 3DS eShop, in case you guys didn't already know.

I only really played one shmup and that's Metal Torrent on DSiWare by Arika (Endless Ocean, Dr. Luigi):

en2hnnZ.jpg

It was a freebie on Club Nintendo! :D

It's a lot of fun if a bit light on content, but highly recommend it as a first shmup, I think it's 500 points/ $5.

You have this shield that absorbs bullets and you achieve combos this way and it gets INSANE when you're combo-ing so high that the blocks (which the bullets turn into when being absorbed) just collect in massive numbers!

The game allows you to save a replay video of your whole run which is awesome! :D

As for my fave David Wise track? Very tough call, but Diddy Kong Racing is likely my fav work of his overall, but I LOVE his work in Star Fox Adventures also!

Here's Dark Ice Mines Underground in the latter which is likely my fav in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ac99HpBAHI

But also check out the main hub theme Thorntail Hollow Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2v4Z3wZr74

My other fave track of the game! :D

Edit: Oh yeah I also played Nano Assault Neo by Shin'en on Wii U eShop, but I still pick Metal Torrent. :p

Edit 2: BTW, I'm in NA,. but you knew that already. :p

image.axd

16060.jpg

First played it on the criminally underused arcade portion of the Wii's Virtual Console. I really enjoyed it. No power-ups (aside from one that doubles your fire power although technically the same can be achieved by rapidly smashing the fire button). No custom additions to your ship. Just you and your wits as you attempt to take down wave after wave of enemies.

And for a game made in 1983, it looks absolutely gorgeous in motion.

Samuray

I have to go with "Flying Shark":

Flying_Shark.png

Played this as a kid at some diner, which is in itself noteworthy since arcade machines were pretty much banned from the German public. Anyway, I completely fell in love with the visuals and the game itself, and just looking at screenshots gives me the feels.

Bought an FM Towns Marty just so I can have a real port of this game. Haven't found a copy yet, though...

Anyway: EU region! :)

Fularu

Banned
I have to go with "Flying Shark":

Flying_Shark.png

Played this as a kid at some diner, which is in itself noteworthy since arcade machines were pretty much banned from the German public. Anyway, I completely fell in love with the visuals and the game itself, and just looking at screenshots gives me the feels.

Bought an FM Towns Marty just so I can have a real port of this game. Haven't found a copy yet, though...

Anyway: EU region! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flying-Shar...817866?hash=item3d136b824a:g:s8UAAOSwKtlWrZdA

I love me some Velocity XL. The way it combines shmup mechanics, exploration and puzzle solving into its own brilliant beast is astounding. I can hardly recall any critical shmup that allowed you to set toot own checking and teleport back to it at will. This helps to allow for tense, but forgiving puzzles and navigation sequences.

Velocity XL proves you can have tricky navigation in a scrolling shmup without relying on Insta-kill collision.

And don't get me started on the awesome teleporting mechanic...

Region: NA

Top Bottom