• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite Wii U game

The Switch has seen ports of Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 and Pokken but that doesn't even scratch the surface of what the Wii U still has to offer. There's still a fantastic selection of first party games that you can only find on Wii U in addition to a phenomenal indie section on the eShop. Talk about more than one game if you wish but I'm personally only going to focus on the one: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

I believe Tropical Freeze is even better than Donkey Kong Country 2. Every single aspect of this game is polished to a shimmering gleam. Every enemy placement, every platform, every jump. It all just feels so right. Mix that with some amazing level design and world building that weaves your typical platforming tropes into believable parts of the environment.

Much like Samus Returns, platforms don't float in Tropical Freeze. It's all overgrown vegetation or crumbling ruins and this alone sets the immersion level far above most platformers. It may be a game of going left and right but the world still manages to feel huge with backgrounds that seem to stretch on forever. It's even more impressive when the dynamic camera kicks in and gives you an even better view of the miraculously crafted 3D environments.

More than anything though, Tropical Freeze finds the perfect balance between being fun to play and offering a serious challenge. It's a rollercoaster of a journey and once you start playing it's so hard to stop. I can't think of a single thing I would change about this game. It's not only my favourite game on the Wii U but it might just be my favourite platformer. Tropical Freeze is so, so good.

donkey-kong-tropical-freeze-5.jpg

81MBpgcsyCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81t57RdfeKL._SL1500_.jpg

163637-dkcrtf-spot-1.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's pretty much between Pikmin 3 and Xenoblade X for me. Also the two most played games (Pikmin 3 because of the top of the class missions).

Tapejara

I was going to say Mario Kart 8, but the Switch port superceded it so I don't really count it anymore.

Otherwise, I'd probably say either Super Mario Maker or Yoshi's Woolly World. Mario Maker has endless replayability (until it's eventually shut down) and that great Mario gameplay, but Yoshi's Woolly World is just cuteness overload.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Mario 3D World. Hands down. Not only is it a fantastic game in its own right (and brought back the original four playable characters!), it's multiplayer, too.

Pikmin 3 was really, really good too.

Well, there's Breath of the Wild since I don't have a Switch yet.
Also, Xenoblade Chronicles X.
And I agree that Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers of all time. And I have no nostalgia for the SNES games.

But my favorite would be... Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
I was excited by the idea of a SMT x Fire Emblem crossover at first. Then, I was baffled by the first trailer and lost all interest in the game. I ended up buying it because what else was I gonna play on my Wii U? And it's basically Persona 4.5 for me, I even prefer it over 5. Such a fun, stylish and engaging game. I have an aversion to idol culture but that wasn't too much of a problem with TMS. A true gem. I hope it will find a new audience on other platforms at some point.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Breath of the Wild. Wii U's swan song.

Followed by Bayonetta 2, my favorite action title.

LiamR

The Wonderful 101 hands down. No game has been able to top that finale for me ever since. I hope it gets remastered so I can play it again on my Switch.

EhoaVash

Xenoblade Chronicles X was really really fun to play. Has the best traversal of any game I ever played. Makes me want to go back to the world of Mira and fly around with my skell, but I can't my disc won't work anymore :(

weekev

Banned
Splatoon for me. Such a unique fun fresh experience. There are so many good WiiU games, ridiculously under appreciated console.

Duffk1ng

Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, Mario Maker.

If the first of those comes to Switch I'll probably bite the bullet and sell my Wii U at last.

Probably The Wonderful 101. It's probably my favorite game by Kamiya. I absolutely love the characters and story, and the action is just ridiculous. And the game is long as fuck and extremely varied... A true action adventure game. It's just amazing.

Not far behind that are 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Yoshi's Woolley World, Bayonetta 2, and Captain Toad.

Celine

Tie between Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8.
Runner up: Super Mario 3D World and Splatoon.

For all the troubles WiiU had during its lifespan, its saving grace is that Nintendo published some very very good games:
Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker, Capitan Toad, Smash Bros WiiU, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Splatoon, Pikmin 3, DKC Tropical Freeze, Pokken, Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Bayonetta 2.

WiiU's legacy downfall will depend on how much these games will be ported to following Nintendo systems.

The Wonderful 101, followed by Bayonetta 2 (and Spin the Bottle Bumpie's Party for local multiplayer hijinx).

Tokyo Mirage sessions sits near my bottom. Bought it because, w00t a game! Plus Fire Emblem. What I got was hours walking around samey dungeons and loading screens with very simple battles and a japanese lines and phrases being said that weren't even bothered to be subtitled. Story was... shallow. Also disliked Tropical Freeze too. If I play 2d platformers, I like them to have a sense of speed and dynamism. DK plays like a giant gorilla that doesn't know how to ledge grab. (Tbh, 2D platforms aren't my cup of tea at all. Level designs outside the shadow levels did nothing for me. Like super generic CG style, which I guess fits in with the originals? But I'd prefer more artistic style)

Haven't finished Maiden of Blackwater yet, but I'd put that pretty highly. It's one of the few Wii U games that I can instantly remember at any rate.

MarioKart 8 is still being played in my household, so I'll have to go with that.

Tropical Freeze is phenomenal too though.

Little shout out to Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker.

Mugy

For me its between Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Freeze.

I actually find Bayonetta 2 to be even better than the first one, and thats saying a fucking a lot.

woopWOOP

Threeway split between Splatoon, Smash for WiiU and Super Mario Maker for me. Those are the games I kept booting up long past release.

Smash gets an extra edge for all the great times I had playing with other GAF members (while my internet lasted atleast) and one on one with an old friend using shitty downloaded mii fighters and playing on shitty downloaded custom stages.

xandaca

I've been greatly enjoying Xenoblade X, although have just come to a sudden halt when a mandatory mission has an affinity requirement with a character I've not used at all. It's only one heart, but other characters I've been using since the beginning are still on 2-3 hearts, so it seems like it could take a while, with a lot of tedious grinding, as he's also about 20 levels behind my regulars. I'm also not sure how affinity is built up in this game (honestly, 35 hours in and I'm not sure how most of the game's systems work), which won't be a help.

Otherwise, DK: Tropical Freeze was surprisingly great considering I wasn't mad about DKCR. Splatoon is superb. Pikmin 3's local multiplayer is a secret gem.

Not an original title but The Wind Waker HD for me. It fixed all of the game's problems and was probably the best use of the gamepad on the system.

DrDamn

Lego City Undercover - the best Lego game by some way for me. Unleashed from the shackles of a specific franchise they created a fantastic and varied open world which was a joy to play.

Ansatz

Splatoon gets the edge only because it has a well made single player mode, so that I can enjoy the game as it was originally anytime in the future, long after they've shut down the online servers. You can't do that with say World of Warcraft as the game simply doesn't exist anymore which is kinda weird when you think about it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
There are many outstanding games, but Pikmin 3 takes the crown. Runners up: Super Mario 3D World, NSMBU, DKC Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2.

Top Bottom