• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite Wii U game

W. L. Saga

Neo Member
Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Possibly my favorite game of all time.

Exploration, presentation, and game play all were a hit for me.

This. And Breath of the Wild is a very close second to me.

I love these two games to death and woudn't be able to decide if I had to choose one, though.

Griss

So many good good games, shit. Feels impossible to pick just one. Let's break down how I see the main contenders.

Best Games Ported to Switch / Sequel on Switch:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8

The Top Switch Exclusives:
DKC: Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World

Underrated Gems:
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
New Super Mario Bros U

Slight Disappointments:
Smash 4
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Mario Maker

Seriously flawed but very fun / interesting:
Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2

Ultimately there are four games here that I consider the pinnacle of their genre - BotW, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3 and DKC: TF. How do I choose between them? It's just a question of which genre I want to play at the time. Each brought me an insane amount of entertainment and joy. I'd probably give the award to BotW, while recognising that DKC: TF is far closer to a perfect game.

Novocaine

NSMBU/NSLU. Highly underrated game IMO. Had a blast from start to finish. Just edges out 3D World for me based on the fact that I had to tap out at the very end because it got too frustrating for me.

ZombieSnot

Neo Member
The majority of first party games for the Wii U were immensely entertaining, but I think the crowning achievement for me was Mario Maker. While it wasn't perfect (simple system for finding friends levels), I lost over a hundred hours to that game, and would happily do so all over again.

Every time there is a conference/Nintendo Direct, I eagerly hope they announce a new iteration for the Switch, and I hope they are able to successfully pull it off.

LgMqk4.gif

The Wonderful 101.

Platinum ended up making a game that induced an experience that was far beyond the level of hype, over-the-top, action of all their other games. They have still yet to make another title that reaches the heights that TW101 does in this department.

Came to post this. In a time where gamers were complaining that there was nothing "new" or "fresh" this game came out and went completely under the radar. Overcoming the learning curve is well worth experiencing this game.

Ravelle

Came to post this. In a time where gamers were complaining that there was nothing "new" or "fresh" this game came out and went completely under the radar. Overcoming the learning curve is well worth experiencing this game.

I really wanted to like it because it has everything I like but I couldn't process how the controls worked, the demo frustrated me because I had the feeling I had to look at both screens at the same time while I was making these gestures on the pad, otherwise I was just getting beat on while I was doing things on the pad. :(

DarkTom

The Wonderful 101.

I still have not finished BOTW but I don't think it will beat it.

Other pretendants were Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Shovel Knight and Zelda WWHD.

Greedings

Tough.

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Mario 3D World and Breath of the Wild are all up there.

I think Splatoon has the highest hour count.

MoonFrog

I think my favorites are Tropical Freeze, Mario Maker, 3D World, TMS#FE, and Bayonetta 1+2.

Oh I really like captain toad too.

And Woolly World!

kunonabi

1.The Wonderful 101
2.Xenoblade X
3.Nintendo Land
4.Star Fox Zero
5.Zero: Nuregarasu no Miko
6.Genei Ibun Roku #fe
7.Pikmin 3
8.Splatoon
9.Game & Wario
10.Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

W101 and Xenoblade X are 2 of the 3 best games of this generation not to mention two of the best games ever made. They're just incredible examples of top shelf game design.

Dong Freeze is a platorming master-class within the company known for platforming master-classes.
It should be paraded around by Ninty as one of their all time greats.

poodaddy

Smash. I'm boring. Honorable mention to Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, and Super Mario 3D World. Fuck man, the Wii U has the best Nintendo library of all time. Oh and an amazing selection of Virtual Console titles as well.

Pikmin 3 for sure.

Smash, Mario Maker, and Bayonetta 2 are honourable mentions. I liked Tropical Freeze but it didn't stick with me.

BiggNife

Probably Mario Kart 8. It's an excellent MK and the presentation is just top notch.

Bayonetta 2, Mario Maker, Smash 4 and Splatoon are all great too.

Really, the Wii U had so many fantastic first party titles it's hard to choose.

Peltz

There are so many great choices:

SM3DW
Captain Toad
Wonderful 101
Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 1 and 2
Pikmin 3
Smash 4

Tons of great Wii U games would be fun to take on the go.

Splatoon is by far my favorite Wii U game, it's the best new series from Nintendo in years, and it's a great take on the multiplayer TPS genre. The gameplay and mechanics are genius, fast, and smooth, controls are responsive, aesthetic design and music have so much personality. Even the singleplayer is good, especially the final boss.

Honorable mention to Smash 4 for being my favorite Smash game, Xenoblade Chronicles X for being one of the best Open World JRPGs, if not the best, and Wind Waker HD for being the best version of my favorite Zelda.

I can't choose one, sorry. It's a two-way tie between:

Mario Kart 8: the reason I initially bought a Wii U, and boy I'm I glad I did. Vibrant, colorful and animated worlds enhanced by an amazing art direction. Super tight, responsive controls, even better with the godlike Wii U Pro Controller. Quite possibly the best DLC of any game ever, which gives you a staggering 50% increase to the base game, all at a value that I'm sure cannot be beaten by anyone. My absolute favorite soundtrack of this generation, so much that I actually had to import a copy of the OST from Japan. (It's the complete soundtrack by the way, includes all DLC tracks!). This game is pure, unfiltered joy condensed into a disc (Or a digital download...)!!

Super Mario 3D World: A lot of what I said about MK8 above applies here, down to importing a soundtrack from Japan. Unlike the OP, I don't have a problem with "floating platforms," and seeing them has zero impact on my immersion, feel of challenge, or enjoyment. How dare they have platforms on a platformer! Also, whether it's via soundtrack, levels, or other mechanisms, I love all the throwbacks to other games in the Mario series! (e.g., when riding Plessie, it's just a very slightly reworked version of the "slide" theme from Super Mario 64...). Certainly my favorite ever 3D platformer, and I'm pretty sure that if Rayman Origins didn't exist, this game may be my favorite platformer of all time, period!

Mr.Pig

Hell yeah! With the gamepad as map and Wiimote to play. My best Wii U experience, and I am dying for Pikmin 4 on Switch!

So as someone who has only watched pikmin being played what makes pikmin a strategy game? It seems like you just throw the pikmin at a monster - how does player choice affect results? (I'm genuinely curious about the game)

I really wanted to like it because it has everything I like but I couldn't process how the controls worked, the demo frustrated me because I had the feeling I had to look at both screens at the same time while I was making these gestures on the pad, otherwise I was just getting beat on while I was doing things on the pad. :(

Yeah I totally understand, I had the same issue when I first played it, but that issue is solved by using the right stick to create the Unite Morphs. Even the sections where you're forced to look at your gamepad and use the gyro camera are made a lot better to play with by resetting the camera or swapping the TV and gamepad displays. It honestly felt like Platinum knew the most frustrating parts of their game and did everything they could to make it better for the player.

That being said, I feel like they take a page from Fromsoft and deliberately don't tell you some of the mechanics for the sake of letting you learn on your own, which is a double edged sword, but I feel like it turned out for the better.

Joei

I really enjoyed what I played of Paper Mario Color Splash. It's hard for me to say I had a favorite game, but I put a ton of hours into Hyrule Warriors and I absolutely love Captain Toad.

Wii U was, to me, a vastly underrated system and my favorite Nintendo console since the SNES.

tav7623

This is a toughie cause there were quite a few (imo) amazing Wii U titles that I can't just pick one favorite. Let's see......there was.....Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Bayonetta 2, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U (and the Super Luigi U DLC expansion), Mario Kart 8 (even though they royally f**ked up the Battle Mode and refused to make the fixed version of the mode for the Switch port available as DLC for Wii U owners), Zombi U, Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends. I haven't even gotten to the games I'm currently (and slooowly) playing through (because I got a big backlog and a bad case of the "Ooooo Shiny Shiny" :p....hell I haven't even gotten remotely finished playing though Horizon: Zero Dawn or Gears 4 or The Witcher 3 or Outlast) that I'm enjoying (so far) like Fatal Frame 5, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, Yoshi's Woolly World, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Lego City Undercover.

Top Bottom