• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I already got a trivia picked out for X-2. Simple, chaotic, and well under the unacceptable level for troll giveaways.

cmWg8PA.gif

---

So the leaked footage for Mass Effect Andromeda definitely confirms they're going for ME1 style again. I don't mind, since that style with their experience of gameplay from the sequels should work well. Just want the planets to be actually worth exploring, along with the mako not being shoved down my throat. Also for the love of god please have a full fledged campaign and not the open world "do a bunch of meaningless tasks until you unlock a story mission".

If they can basically just do mass effect 1 again but with all the fixes I feel that game needs these days I'll be content.

How is the Steam Controller? I'm thinking about getting it and does it work well with fast paced action games like Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Rising? I'm looking for a new controller I don't really like the Xbox controllers and Dualshock 4 is too much of a hassle.

Too much of a hassle?

Download DS4Windows.
Follow the instructions, which includes connecting the controller via USB and pressing a button to install the drivers.
???
Profit.

And my Steam controller basically only gets touched when there is a game I wish to play that doesn't support controllers natively AND already has a decent controller profile available. Otherwise, it collects dust.

Speaking of MIA, I have not seen TheMonk (sp?) post here in a while.

He's still alive, at least; I saw him in my activity feed on Steam the other day.

Well then

That's a hell of an ending to episode 3 of LiS

I'm starting to see what all the fuss was about.

Episode 1: Eh, why is this praised again?
Episode 2: Maybe this could be alright, I guess...
Episode 3: Damn, this must be why people like this game, this really has potential
Episode 4: Hot damn, this is going places!
Episode 5: Well, that happened... why do people like this game again?

Jawmuncher

Episode 3: Damn, this must be why people like this game, this really has potential

Pretty much how I felt. Still worth playing, but people should definitely temper their expectations after a lot of the talk the game has received building it up a bit too highly.

gabbo

One day I will buy 2-5 and finally see this for myself (though I liked Ep1 enough on its own)

-MD-

T

I played through episode 1 and had enough.

kurahador

This is too accurate.

Play Tales From The Borderlands instead people!!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
LiS episode 1 (I didnt finish it) did nothing for me :/

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Something suspicious is going on with giveaways today. Trust no one.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ace of words -- MB-9CEC6F90F90B0F2A - Taken by Belgarion. 5 entrants total.

t1459574624z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
1 is easily the worst episode not counting maybe 5 depending on how you take the end of the journey.

30mins of Undertale also did nothing for me.

Maybe I shouldn't have sold my soul afterall :/

Jawmuncher

30mins of Undertale also did nothing for me.

Maybe I shouldn't have sold my soul afterall :/

A 30 minutes even enough to get out of the beginning area? You should play up to the snow monster town and the first real boss fight. I would say playing with a spoiler free guide if needed would be a way to go about it. At least for me, the game kept growing on me the longer I played it.

Grief.exe

I really hate April Fools Day. Fortunately it's also the day we finished a big project at work which got me a bonus. With those two things in mind I figured I'd spread some GAF cheer with some of my favorite games. This is the first time I've used ModBot with gift keys, so let me know if it doesn't work for some reason. Good luck everyone!

***The code that indicates Indigo Prophecy is actually for Hyper Light Drifter. No idea why it came back with a different name. I don't know if changing the text will break modbot so I figured I'd mention it here***

Xcom 2 or Hyper Light Drifter..

giphy.gif

Tarazet

Faeria is having a giveaway, if you supported it be sure to give it to two of your buddies this weekend. Pretty interesting map-strategy TCG.

The significant other got it gifted to him, and he was able to share it with me via his Steam account. We both got 20 booster packs for free so that was pretty cool.

Rhaknar

A 30 minutes even enough to get out of the beginning area? You should play up to the snow monster town and the first real boss fight. I would say playing with a spoiler free guide if needed would be a way to go about it. At least for me, the game kept growing on me the longer I played it.

I died to the goat lady and had to go back to the save and had to do the house shit again and the game wouldnt even let me go to the basement directly and I was like "meh fuck this" :/

Bad Rats Roulette Time!

Like Russian Roulette, there is only one bullet. Will you pull the trigger and survive or be forced to explain why you own Bad Rats!

1 Rule, if you win you have to activate it or I'll know! I probably won't know.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats -- MB-2C05EC1F93C2096C - Taken by Belgarion
xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats #6 -- MB-B3D5B77DF586B1AD - Taken by zewone
xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats #5 -- MB-0CF97DC2570B7878 - Taken by AsylumX
xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats #4 -- MB-4DE7ECE2C0115130 - Taken by Soulflarz
xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats #3 -- MB-25A151BB713EDB60 - Taken by Echoplx
xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats #2 -- MB-AC7A6B73176F30C9 - Taken by jgalat

bakeray

Bad Rats Roulette Time!

Like Russian Roulette, there is only one bullet. Will you pull the trigger and survive or be forced to explain why you own Bad Rats!

1 Rule, if you win you have to activate it or I'll know! I probably won't know.
You're a monster.

Jawmuncher

I died to the goat lady and had to go back to the save and had to do the house shit again and the game wouldnt even let me go to the basement directly and I was like "meh fuck this" :/

You died to her? That's not a common thing. Dunno if you were tracking but I think you'll have more fun playing with a guide. You shouldn't be trying to kill or fight anything. I'm not even saying this all because I gifted it to you. It's not even a long game. Hopefully you decide to go back to it at some point.

Rhaknar

You died to her? That's not a common thing. Dunno if you were tracking but I think you'll have more fun playing with a guide. You shouldn't be trying to kill or fight anything. I'm not even saying this all because I gifted it to you. It's not even a long game. Hopefully you decide to go back to it at some point.

Im not killing anything. But only because thats what the internet "told me" to do. Dunno, maybe the hype is hurting it for me. Ill go back to it for sure.

Jawmuncher

Im not killing anything. But only because thats what the internet "told me" to do. Sunni, maybe the hype is hurting it for me. Ill go back to it for sure.

The hype has died down a lot. But I get ya. Like I said I wasn't too big on the game during the beginning, but at least for me the more I played the more it grew on me.

Tarazet

I don't mean to call BS, but Toriel
will automatically deflect the bullets around you. I don't think even if you tried exceptionally hard, you could actually die to her, because she refuses to kill you.

Rhaknar

will automatically deflect the bullets around you. I don't think even if you tried exceptionally hard, you could actually die to her, because she refuses to kill you.

Why would I lie about it lol. I
wanted to go out, she wouldnt let me, then she goes "fine you little fucker, you wanna see how dangerous this place is, ill show you" then we fought, I lost while trying not to attack her
, and it was game over and I had to reload.

Messiah

I managed to die to her as well somehow. I think sometimes she kills you before she starts missing you on purpose.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

It is possible to die to her you usually have to be trying to do that or playing on hard mode for it to happen though.
It has a unique sprite there for that specific moment that's on screen for about a frame.

Grief.exe

---

So the leaked footage for Mass Effect Andromeda definitely confirms they're going for ME1 style again. I don't mind, since that style with their experience of gameplay from the sequels should work well. Just want the planets to be actually worth exploring, along with the mako not being shoved down my throat. Also for the love of god please have a full fledged campaign and not the open world "do a bunch of meaningless tasks until you unlock a story mission".

If they can basically just do mass effect 1 again but with all the fixes I feel that game needs these days I'll be content.

If you notice a common theme in game design with many of these games targeting the mainstream demographic flood the player with dozens of meaningless tasks to provide constant stimulation coupled with exceedingly simple gameplay and streamlined systems so the player never gets frustrated.
Look for the next Mass Effect to be largely the same as Bioware has moved towards that market after the EA acquisition.

catabarez

How is the Steam Controller? I'm thinking about getting it and does it work well with fast paced action games like Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Rising? I'm looking for a new controller I don't really like the Xbox controllers and Dualshock 4 is too much of a hassle.

I think it works pretty well with action games. It really shines because of the customizable nature of it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Some people might know that I've been tracking KSes for a long time, so I have a really good idea of what's going on. I wanted to call attention to some cool KSes that are coming up on completion this year, that are going to have really good reviews on release, and that have been transparent in communicating with fans:

Distance. Futuristic racing game, 95% positive Steam reviews (2,077). Funded 2012 for $161,000 with target release date of August 2013. Looks unbelievably good, user content creation tools, tons and tons of content, very active developers.

Jon Shafer's At the Gates - This is a Civilization style turn-based strategy empire building game focused around clans. Really good communication the entire time through development except recently (radio silence since November). Funded 2013 for $106,000 with target release June 2014. Great visual style and thoughtful mechanics. Hope the recent silence doesn't indicate development trouble.

Ghost of a Tale - Imagine the gothic world of Dark Souls, lighter gameplay, and themes drawn from Brian Jacques' Redwall and you have this spectacular looking game. Frequent updates with progress on art and mechanics, and it's great because the developer is someone with an art background and no programming background--so seeing him learn and improve is awesome. Backer playable coming soon and full release targeting later this year. Funded May 2013 for $50,000 with intended release June 2014.

Frontiers - One crazy person tries to make an open world ARPG with the same scope as Morrowind all by himself. The downside is that reviews suggest it's buggy, progress has been halting, and the dev is clearly going through a lot of stress as he makes the game. But it seems like there's something there, and the developer is really transparent. He's also the only person I've ever seen say "I'm going to use some of my money to work on side projects which will allow me to reinvest in the project you paid for" and actually seem to be a professional about doing so--he's working on side projects in the VR space and the money from those project is being used to hire people to work on Frontiers. Originally funded July 2013 for $157,000 for release January 2014.

The Long Dark - Open world Canadian wilderness survival game. I think a lot of people know about this one because it's been successful. Just an obscene amount of content, and more being added over time--over 600,000 copies sold on PC in early access and more on consoles where it was the first Early Access for Xbox One game. 95% positive Steam reviews with 14,148 reviews. Funded September 2013 for release October 2014. Updates every month or so with real substantial progress.

Obduction - Myst VI, developed by the original developers. A real labour of love. Looks beautiful and certainly seems to capture the Myst spirit. Lots of development updates from a developer known for great fan interaction for over 20 years. Launching this summer. Undeterred despite a publishing agreement falling through. Funded November 2013 for $1.3 million dollars, target release date October 2015.

That Which Sleeps - This is like a digital board game text adventure card game visual novel event strategy game. Kinda hard to describe. Set in a world plainly inspired by Lovecraft and other early-20th pulp horror writers. Solid updates with emphasis on polishing the UI, which in a game like this is paramount. Funded October 2014 for $85,000 with intended release March 2015

Strafe - 90s Quake-style fast paced shooter with big chunky polygons. Picked up a publishing deal with Devolver, frequent updates, looks really great. Targeting Early 2017, great looking trailer recently. Funded February 2015 for $207,000 with intended release May 2016.

Quern: Undying Thoughts - Myst-like 3d adventure that claims to be inspired by the works of Jules Verne. Looks great in videos, updates every few weeks, good progress and graphical upgrades, beefy length (12-14 hours as of last update), and almost content complete. Funded July 2015 for $35,000 with intent to release March 2016.

The common element with all of these is just a consistent professionalism when it comes to updates, combined with good premises and solid looking executions. Any you guys are keeping your eyes on?

Eila

It's that time of the year?
This should work, showed as potentially not revealed on groupees.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-This is not Dark Souls III.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rat Souls -- MB-91F23ACCB492D5C7 - Taken by zewone

Rhaknar

I have my eyes on Street Fighter 5, funded in 2015 with scheduled release for February 2016, its out on early access on Steam and its the first early access game on PS4, it just had a big update in march with more to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom