• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

Ty4on

Here's what I know so far:

1) Sorian got hit with something on Night 2. It took his vote and we can see the effect of it. He's claiming it's Joker toxin.
2) Sorian is claiming he was roleblocked. If that is true, it was obviously not the town roleblocker, so it had to be non-town.
3) There's a non-town between Coppa and Ty4on.4
4) Scum was willing to dwindle that list down by eliminating AB. Could mean two things - they're ready to bus someone (which isn't a huge loss because they've not lost anyone so far) or there is actually no scum in that group.
5) Coppa visited Kark on N2, but he had no visible effect on Kark. Likely means that he has an information role, which would probabilistically make it a scum role.

We don't know if Trigger is telling the truth yet. I find it really weird that he held that back until the very end. Even if Coppa is scum, Trigger could have done that to distance himself from Coppa.

I do think scum has one or more information roles though and that it helped them find TL21xx. Coppa being scum and figuring out something with Kark can also explain why they hit ordinary town last night. Kark is a weird target to investigate, but maybe Coppa is a mafia watcher.

Coppanuva, you have been less visible than your normal meta. What's up with that? Also, if you're a sleepwalker, why not mention it earlier? It's not good to leave town tracking roles confused about who is doing what.

Ty4on, why did you spend so much time directing conversation back to Karkador day three? Why were you not willing to accept his role claim?

Karu

[quoting Xam]
We need to press Coppa and Ty4on, as they were on the list. Also, I think no-one will be under the limerick curse or have their vote stolen because I think scum can only use those powers eveey other night.
What Ty4on said... if those are every-other-night scum roles, that seems awfully weak (under the assumption most if not all current in-play role claims are real/town)

[quotion Launc]
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but the Joker sounds more like a neutral role to me. I don't think it's scum.
How would Joker be neutral? Or do you just refer to the ability itself?

If Scum got chat-blocked, an Absolut -kill doesn't seem that farfetched, although it may not seem like an optimal choice from their perspective at first.

Trigger's claim came in awfully late, which at first is weird, but what then? If Scum, just preparing the Lynch for the next Day, because he can't change the current one? I'm inclined to believe him - investigation role seems also likely. He claims some kind of passive effect something had on him, it wasn't his doing at all, doesn't want to say more. What does that sound like? Convenience.

Sorian... well, I never heard of that Batman character ever before, so I can't comment on the lore right now. And regarding his actual claim, it seems to come down to reasons of balance as he - outside of current events - didn't read Scum to me... probably due to sorianism, though. I will keep that especially in mind going forward.

VOTE: Coppanuva

Guys, listen: We need to trust Sorian, if only for a moment.

By the way guys, I am bring 100% serious that if Sorian is scum we have already lost

I feel like you're so tunneled on Sorian being town that you have not really looked at his post content. I'll work up a summary of it later, I started a post but there's a lot to reread.

But if Sorian is scum, and we don't lynch him (or another scum), town will be in a horrible position tomorrow.

Trigger, you said something about role claiming. Do you intend to do any more of that, or are you sticking with Tracker and no additional information needed?

True about Trigger, but he said he knew something about Kark before roleclaiming. Granted, it actually turned out to not be related to Kark's role directly, but I find this oversight to make the role claim more believable.

Ty4on

Ty4on, why did you spend so much time directing conversation back to Karkador day three? Why were you not willing to accept his role claim?
Where? I was sceptical of him, but I don't remember doubting his role claim. Near day end I spent most of my time arguing with Sorian that I struggled to see why Kark was scum.

It looks like we have just two mislynches left.

If Kark/gryvan flip town with the role they claimed, what do we learn? I don't see any obvious targets apart from Coppa/AB.

Where? I was sceptical of him, but I don't remember doubting his role claim. Near day end I spent most of my time arguing with Sorian that I struggled to see why Kark was scum.

This is the post I meant. At the time I thought you actively disbelieved the claim.

Yes, you were arguing pro town Karkador. But every time the conversation drifted, you moved right back to karkvan. Some of this impression came from watching the discussion play out, live.

Coppanuva

Coppanuva, you have been less visible than your normal meta. What's up with that? Also, if you're a sleepwalker, why not mention it earlier? It's not good to leave town tracking roles confused about who is doing what.

I'm sick of that playstyle, I don't have the mental energy to play that way right now, so I'm not. It's as simple as that.

Why not mention it sooner? Because I assume my ability is a counter to scum powers. A sleepwalker is supposed to make scum think they found a pr and kill someone who doesn't do anything. Mentioning You're a sleepwalker defeats the entire point of the role. If you're specifically asking why I didn't say anything yesterday after trigger mentioned he saw me, look at the time he said it. He literallywaited to the last minute.

Sorian

Banned
4) Scum was willing to dwindle that list down by eliminating AB. Could mean two things - they're ready to bus someone (which isn't a huge loss because they've not lost anyone so far) or there is actually no scum in that group.

I actually see 2 more reasons. I'm not actually sold on either of them but we should be exhaustive.

1) You are scum. Your team decided to kill someone on the list which brought it down to two because a 50% chance of hitting "non-town" is a lot more appealing than a 33% chance of hitting non-town and with only 1-2 more mislynches needed, the psychological reasoning is there.

2) weemad and I had an interesting conversation yesterday about soft claims:

Dear TL was our name cop, now absent.
We have Launchpad claiming alignment
Read in a group way.
Why would Fluxwave
Now AB, have power of this bent?

I read it at the time as a joke but I guess we should take everything to the extreme. It sounds like a soft claim to me if you really want assume there is something to it. The soft claim should be obvious but I'll choose to be vague.

The subject got dropped after that. Here is the original post in question that we thought was a soft claim:

No, no, what does your PR do. I don't want to have to activate Detective Vision to find it out.

Now if Flux/Absolut was Batman then I think he would have used that to save himself a long time ago when he was under suspicion day 1 and day 2 so while the possibility was there, I very much doubted it. Maybe someone on scum team thought it was true though and went for the gold. We do have to keep in mind that Topo says scum chat was blocked last night so their plan was hardly foolproof.

------

Which brings me back now. Why do you think Joker is a neutral? What would be the possible win condition there? No action night 1 and possibly no action night 3 from what we've seen so far. The one action performed so far was a vote eraser used night 2 (confirmed) that rolled into a role block during night 3 (unconfirmed). I don't se Joker as neutral, I see it as scum. If Trigger is telling the truth then yeah, Coppa isn't the Joker but I still think he is the scummier one of the two between Ty4on and Coppa. Past that, I just find him scummier in general with his general sentiment of keeping his head down this whole game.

Ty4on

This is the post I meant. At the time I thought you actively disbelieved the claim.

Yes, you were arguing pro town Karkador. But every time the conversation drifted, you moved right back to karkvan. Some of this impression came from watching the discussion play out, live.
What do you mean moved back to Kark/gryvan? The lynch was clearly moving towards Kark and in that quote of me I was replying to Fire who was reasoning his vote on gryvan. Why wouldn't I be talking about Kark/gryvan?
I'm gonna stay with my karkyvan vote because I'm trying to maximize the amount of info are getting from this lynch and I don't want to cause any last minute swing in the vote.
It looks like we have just two mislynches left.

If Kark/gryvan flip town with the role they claimed, what do we learn? I don't see any obvious targets apart from Coppa/AB.

I'm sick of that playstyle, I don't have the mental energy to play that way right now, so I'm not. It's as simple as that.

Why not mention it sooner? Because I assume my ability is a counter to scum powers. A sleepwalker is supposed to make scum think they found a pr and kill someone who doesn't do anything. Mentioning You're a sleepwalker defeats the entire point of the role. If you're specifically asking why I didn't say anything yesterday after trigger mentioned he saw me, look at the time he said it. He literallywaited to the last minute.

A sleepwalker can also be put in to cripple a town tracker, by making them think they found scum. It could be argued that this happened, since you were allegedly seen and then trigger claimed as a tracker.

It's actually pretty common for sleepwalkers to claim on day one to prevent this exact scenario. You leaving it til way later in the game makes it less believable, and your claim was so vague that I had to discuss it with two or three others to even get a clue what you were saying. It makes it seem like you just want more information from the tracker, or have some other ulterior motive.

Coppanuva

It's actually pretty common for sleepwalkers to claim on day one to prevent this exact scenario. You leaving it til way later in the game makes it less believable, and your claim was so vague that I had to discuss it with two or three others to even get a clue what you were saying. It makes it seem like you just want more information from the tracker, or have some other ulterior motive.
Is it really now? The only time I've seen sleepwalkers was in lb they didn't do any hinting at all about it. My claim was intentionally vague because I didn't see the need to fully explain it within the first few hours of the phase. Fully Outing more of our prs isn't something I wanted to do.

Camjo-Z

Whoa, discussion has drifted back to a member of the list again! How totally intriguing, dude! It's like this is exactly what mafia was aiming for when they killed AbsolutBro and had Trigger out Coppanuva with no time to discuss it at the end of the day! Gnarly!

Like, there's no way that when Coppa flips town, mafia will try to turn the discussion into a question of whether to lynch Ty4on as the last member of the list, or Launch as the creator of a list that's proven mostly incorrect so far! No way, man!

Ty4on

Whoa, discussion has drifted back to a member of the list again! How totally intriguing, dude! It's like this is exactly what mafia was aiming for when they killed AbsolutBro and had Trigger out Coppanuva with no time to discuss it at the end of the day! Gnarly!

Like, there's no way that when Coppa flips town, mafia will try to turn the discussion into a question of whether to lynch Ty4on as the last member of the list, or Launch as the creator of a list that's proven mostly incorrect so far! No way, man!

What do you think is actually going on if you think Coppa is town?

Scum might have went after AB because they might have thought Flux was a PR that dropped out ala Karkador and Gryvan

Fireblend, what you said earlier on day four about Sorian gave me the feeling that you're gut reading him as mafia, but want evidence. Is that what you were saying or am I off in my understanding?

Here is my summary of Sorian's posting day one-three. I have paraphrased the subject matter. Bolded are scum hunting techniques. Italics are use of Karkador's computer gambit.

I have tried to be objective, but I know I began to think he's scum, so it's probably rather biased. Please keep in mind.
----------------------------------------------------

Day 1
Indulging batcomputer
Meta commentary
Gameplay advice, not wrong, just not necessarily game specific
Posts "scummy" list which is all town (well, most - some not confirmed yet ....most are dead)
Commits to voting between fluxolut (town) and topo (probs confirmed town by cop)
Attacks coppanuva, blames it on inability to read him
poking inactives

Day 2
attacks coppanuva again
Argues with launchpad that camjo could not reasonably be a scum aligned mayor.
Lots of explanation of mechanics of these games and discussion of how it affected previous games.
Yells at fluxwavez for awhile
complains about the day one lynch and how it doesn't give information
yells at Karkador a really long while
Avoids voting on Mazre
argues with launchpad about "group alignment check"
More batcomputer discussion
some randomish attacks on various players
poking inactives

argues that scum chose to kill skyodin because batcomputer.
Translated xams role claim riddle.

Day 3
Game balance and meta discussion/arguments
Explains how TL may have hidden check of Topo in his information
More yelling at Karkador
Half a role claim
Some reads
Tracking all role claims
Attacking coppanuva
Translation of my limericks when anyone needed help
Voting on Karkador

-------------------------------

So my conclusion on Sorian is that he hasn't really done much scum hunting. He spent an equal time giving credence to the batcomputer. I have the impression after just reading all his posts again, that around half his posts are meta commentary. I'm grateful for the meta stuff, because I learn from it. But it isn't relevant to this game.

My argument is a little bit vague, but I wanted to type out what I could explain in words, rather than just saying "gut read".

Camjo-Z

What do you think is actually going on if you think Coppa is town?

At the risk of looking like a fucking moron if I'm wrong, I'll present my theory. spec thread please go easy on me

Trigger + Sorian are both maf. Either you or Launch are as well (though right now my money's on you). When Coppa dies, mafia will turn the discussion towards you two and inevitably try to force one last mislynch, and after that it's GG.

I can't think of any other good reason they would kill AbsolutBro if not to push a lynch on somebody on the list. You and Coppa can't be both scum or they would have left Absolut alive to prevent town from getting two easy lynches. I also doubt they would intentionally bus a maf member right now, as that would just prolong the game further, and Coppa has not really been on anyone's radar beside Sorian's, until the Trigger business happened. Thus, I have to assume that they are trying to get Coppa lynched because they know he's innocent. The lack of maf chat last night would not affect this scheme since it doesn't rely on powers being used today and the plan would have already been formulated yesterday before Trigger outed his role.

Why gamble with your NK by hoping you hit a potential PR when there are tracker/doctor claims afoot?
They might be scared stiff of potentially missing. In PW as the SK, I left the 100% confirmed townie alive for quite some time because I was scared of clashing with a role that might have outed me.
OH MY BRAIN BLAST I HAVE SEPARATE IDEA
Maybe El Topo's block forces a random kill for the night they are blocked

Camjo-Z

They might be scared stiff of potentially missing. In PW as the SK, I left the 100% confirmed townie alive for quite some time because I was scared of clashing with a role that might have outed me.
OH MY BRAIN BLAST I HAVE SEPARATE IDEA
Maybe El Topo's block forces a random kill for the night they are blocked

If they were scared stiff of missing, they'd have killed the doctor claim already.

As for your brain blast, if it wasn't in El Topo's PM then I doubt that's the case.

Sorian

Banned
Fireblend, what you said earlier on day four about Sorian gave me the feeling that you're gut reading him as mafia, but want evidence. Is that what you were saying or am I off in my understanding?

Here is my summary of Sorian's posting day one-three. I have paraphrased the subject matter. Bolded are scum hunting techniques. Italics are use of Karkador's computer gambit.

I have tried to be objective, but I know I began to think he's scum, so it's probably rather biased. Please keep in mind.
----------------------------------------------------

Day 1
Indulging batcomputer
Meta commentary
Gameplay advice, not wrong, just not necessarily game specific
Posts "scummy" list which is all town (well, most - some not confirmed yet ....most are dead)
Commits to voting between fluxolut (town) and topo (probs confirmed town by cop)
Attacks coppanuva, blames it on inability to read him
poking inactives

Day 2
attacks coppanuva again
Argues with launchpad that camjo could not reasonably be a scum aligned mayor.
Lots of explanation of mechanics of these games and discussion of how it affected previous games.
Yells at fluxwavez for awhile
complains about the day one lynch and how it doesn't give information
yells at Karkador a really long while
Avoids voting on Mazre
argues with launchpad about "group alignment check"
More batcomputer discussion
some randomish attacks on various players
poking inactives

argues that scum chose to kill skyodin because batcomputer.
Translated xams role claim riddle.

Day 3
Game balance and meta discussion/arguments
Explains how TL may have hidden check of Topo in his information
More yelling at Karkador
Half a role claim
Some reads
Tracking all role claims
Attacking coppanuva
Translation of my limericks when anyone needed help
Voting on Karkador

-------------------------------

So my conclusion on Sorian is that he hasn't really done much scum hunting. He spent an equal time giving credence to the batcomputer. I have the impression after just reading all his posts again, that around half his posts are meta commentary. I'm grateful for the meta stuff, because I learn from it. But it isn't relevant to this game.

My argument is a little bit vague, but I wanted to type out what I could explain in words, rather than just saying "gut read".

And yet, if any of my lynches had been right then this conversation wouldn't be happening, it wouldn't be "yelling at Kark" it would be finding holes in Kark's story. But yeah, being wrong has this effect.

At the risk of looking like a fucking moron if I'm wrong, I'll present my theory. spec thread please go easy on me

Trigger + Sorian are both maf. Either you or Launch are as well (though right now my money's on you). When Coppa dies, mafia will turn the discussion towards you two and inevitably try to force one last mislynch, and after that it's GG.

I can't think of any other good reason they would kill AbsolutBro if not to push a lynch on somebody on the list. You and Coppa can't be both scum or they would have left Absolut alive to prevent town from getting two easy lynches. I also doubt they would intentionally bus a maf member right now, as that would just prolong the game further, and Coppa has not really been on anyone's radar beside Sorian's, until the Trigger business happened. Thus, I have to assume that they are trying to get Coppa lynched because they know he's innocent. The lack of maf chat last night would not affect this scheme since it doesn't rely on powers being used today and the plan would have already been formulated yesterday before Trigger outed his role.

But what purpose did saying Coppa visited Kark serve? It didn't make Coppa more scummy and it didn't clear Kark in any way like Trigger thought it would when he presented it so what was the point? That's been my entire thought on Trigger's claim. Why even bother claiming there? Still waiting for him to pop in and tell us what he did last night. For that matter, what did you do last night Xam?

roytheone

Day 4 votes

coppanuva (4)
sorian 2388
xamtheking 2394
fireblend 2450
karu 2503

sorian (3)
camjo-z 2420
weemadarthur 2423 (2493)
coppanuva 2433
cornburrito 2477

weemadarthur (1)
el topo 2448
ty4on 2451 (2482)

fireblend (1)
ty4on 2482

ty4on (1)
launchpadmcq 2498

7 votes are needed for majority!
bla_1460494800.png

Well about that
I healed Trigger last night

So you figure scum figured you'd heal Trigger. In which case, scum would have targeted you just as well. But they specifically went for someone on the list. Turning it into a 50/50 gambit of losing a scum memeber if Launch is telling the truth. Unless Launch is right and there actually are no scum, and then either coppa or ty are neutral.

So you figure scum figured you'd heal Trigger. In which case, scum would have targeted you just as well. But they specifically went for someone on the list. Turning it into a 50/50 gambit of losing a scum memeber if Launch is telling the truth. Unless Launch is right and there actually are no scum, and then either coppa or ty are neutral.
I can see ty as a neutral Mad Hatter, similar to how Rita Skeeter worked in HP

Ty4on

This doesn't really explain the kill of Absolut. Regardless of whether me or Coppa is scum they are making the pool smaller. Even if Launch is scum it's still kinda weird because the kill creates doubt about his list. The only "reasonable" reason I have is that Launch' report was fudged, but I doubt this game is that bastard.

I think Coppa was on more people's radar than Sorian's BTW:
coppanuva (4)
xamtheking 2030
ty4on 2178
absolutbro 2287
launchpadmcq 2314

So, trigger hasn't voted today. I hope he comes in and does it so we can see if any votes are missing. Mine was registered earlier, and everyone else has an active one.

Ty4on

I can see ty as a neutral Mad Hatter, similar to how Rita Skeeter worked in HP
That would have been cool. Alas I am vanilla :/

I could maybe see there being two neutrals that have to lynch each other, but at the same time it feels like hunting after a shadow. We have no proof apart from unconfirmed claims.
So, trigger hasn't voted today. I hope he comes in and does it so we can see if any votes are missing. Mine was registered earlier, and everyone else has an active one.
He hasn't said anything today.
VOTE: Trigger

Camjo-Z

But what purpose did saying Coppa visited Kark serve? It didn't make Coppa more scummy and it didn't clear Kark in any way like Trigger thought it would when he presented it so what was the point?

He wasn't trying to clear Kark, that's why he didn't bring it up with any time for people to properly process the claim. The fact that the discussion was recently drifting towards Coppa's sleepwalker claim means Trigger's purpose is being served exactly as planned.

This doesn't really explain the kill of Absolut. Regardless of whether me or Coppa is scum they are making the pool smaller. Even if Launch is scum it's still kinda weird because the kill creates doubt about his list. The only "reasonable" reason I have is that Launch' report was fudged, but I doubt this game is that bastard.

I think Coppa was on more people's radar than Sorian's BTW:

Uh, yes it does. They're making the list smaller specifically TO create doubt about its validity for tomorrow. I explained this.

Also, Launch's vote was after Trigger's softclaim, Absolut specifically says he "doesn't have a great feel for this vote", and Xam appears to have voted him solely due to his appearance in the list. So aside from you , Sorian is the only one who has voiced any significant suspicions of Coppa before today.

I actually see 2 more reasons. I'm not actually sold on either of them but we should be exhaustive.

1) You are scum. Your team decided to kill someone on the list which brought it down to two because a 50% chance of hitting "non-town" is a lot more appealing than a 33% chance of hitting non-town and with only 1-2 more mislynches needed, the psychological reasoning is there.

2) weemad and I had an interesting conversation yesterday about soft claims:

The subject got dropped after that. Here is the original post in question that we thought was a soft claim:

Now if Flux/Absolut was Batman then I think he would have used that to save himself a long time ago when he was under suspicion day 1 and day 2 so while the possibility was there, I very much doubted it. Maybe someone on scum team thought it was true though and went for the gold. We do have to keep in mind that Topo says scum chat was blocked last night so their plan was hardly foolproof.

------

Which brings me back now. Why do you think Joker is a neutral? What would be the possible win condition there? No action night 1 and possibly no action night 3 from what we've seen so far. The one action performed so far was a vote eraser used night 2 (confirmed) that rolled into a role block during night 3 (unconfirmed). I don't se Joker as neutral, I see it as scum. If Trigger is telling the truth then yeah, Coppa isn't the Joker but I still think he is the scummier one of the two between Ty4on and Coppa. Past that, I just find him scummier in general with his general sentiment of keeping his head down this whole game.

1) I'm not, so it's not that. We can do this dance all day, but it doesn't change that fact.

2) This is a very, very subtle claim vs the implications of going after the people in my list. Scum knows I'm telling the truth. They would have to have some serious balls to take that gamble.

------

I was really just throwing the idea out there. Joker as neutral makes sense; he's the character that usually ends up backstabbing the other villains for his own agenda and doesn't really form alliances in the source material. I don't know what the role details would be past what you've testified to, and at least we know part of that is confirmed truth. However, it would seem a bit overpowered for a single scum player to have this two part ability, no? The ability to cancel out a vote and roleblock, assuming these are the same power?

Lynching Coppa is a mistake, anyway. We don't know enough and there's some strong evidence pointing that this pool of players is inconsequential. Scum really did kill AB so that we would hone in on this set of players. The only reason I'm focused more on Ty4on is because of Trigger's ability, but I see I am taking that far too much at face value.

Karu

Mind explaining your logic here?
No communication, higher possibility of a kill that may not be the best choice Scum could have went with - with so many roles still in the air as is. Camjo-Z is not wrong, though, regarding casting further doubt on the list. With all scum still in play that's probably a play they can risk at this point.

El Topo

I don't see any reason not to lynch Sorian and seeing which players flock to Coppa does little to convince me otherwise.

VOTE: Sorian

No communication, higher possibility of a kill that may not be the best choice Scum could have went with - with so many roles still in the air as is. Camjo-Z is not wrong, though, regarding casting further doubt on the list. With all scum still in play that's probably a play they can risk at this point.

Ok but like... I don't see how no communication would make their choice that bad.

There is a doctor claim and a tracker claim.

El Topo

And what a miracle, both the claimed tracker and the claimed doctor are alive, with our doctor telling us that we should all show some trust.

Top Bottom