• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Metroid 2 Remake (Project AM2R) |OT| Best Birthday Ever!

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
And right after beating the previous enemy,
incoming gamma metroid that can sap away nearly half your health.
This is no doubt the hardest game I've recently played, even on Easy setting.

Edit:
WHICH I SUBSEQUENTLY AND UNINTENTIONALLY CHEESED BY GETTING IT STUCK ON THE TERRAIN WHERE IT CAN'T GRAB ME AND SPAMMING MISSLES

This game REALLY needs to fix its bug where it won't show up on the task bar. Badly. I can't tab out to GAF without the icon simply not being there.

This is a fantastic remake, very well done all around. The look and feel is just nailed to the T. Only issues Im having is some screen tearing and troubles getting used to the aiming.

jb1234

I'm about an hour in and having a great time. It's kinda easy (on Normal) but so was the original. Some of the Metroid battles are frustrating as far as aiming goes but that's the only real criticism I've got.

Kindekuma

Banned
This is a fantastic remake, very well done all around. The look and feel is just nailed to the T. Only issues Im having is some screen tearing and troubles getting used to the aiming.

I put on vertical sync, and also swapped the aim down binding to RB. Aim up with LB, down with RB, aim lock with LT and Morph with RT is so much more comfortable to play with.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I have no idea where to go right now. One Metroid left in this area. Last upgrade: Spazer Beam.

Nerrel

Ah, my wonderful Hori pad doesn't work with the game:

Buttons work, but the D-pad does nothing.
Anybody else tried it with this controller ?

Gampead controls default to using the analog stick to move, it won't recognize the D-pad until you go into 'joypad controls' and change it. You should be able to navigate with your keyboard, then select the X/Y axis options and press on your D-pad and it'll work. I had to do it to get the D-pad on my Wii U Pro to work (great controller for this game).

How in the world am I supposed to get past this?
ghlbUTx.png

I can't shinespark downwards. (And doing it sideways doesn't help.)

It's the room in the Golden Temple that is opened with
an energy sphere

rekameohs

Banned
Finished in 4:01 with 92%. D'oh, thought I'd be closer to 100%. The changes to the final boss were fun.

It's really an excellent game. The new stuff that the creator added was really clever stuff. The underwater area and the Tower boss (both completely new to this game) were the highlights for me.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say trying to perform a Shinespark to get to a super missile upgrade in the vine area is the worst. I don't really care for the mechanic at all.

gafneo

Banned
I put some hours into it and can say this is as official an unofficial remake can get. If Nintendo wanted to port this to WiiU, no one would know it was a fan project. They could easily sell this for $20 in it's current state. Maybe most people would need a higher deadzone in the menu option before they get started. Other than that, it completes the 2D Metroid saga that was once too hard for me to play.

Played roughly 30 minutes of it and it's really good!

Controls feel like a small step forward from Metroid Zero Mission, which is amazing considering this game right here was done with Gamemaker.
It really shows a lot of care and polish. A true Metroid 2 Remake not only in name, but also in heart.

I'm gonna stream the game later today (in about 5:30 hours from now). If anyone's interested I'll post the link later. The stream will be in German though, just so you know.

Dartastic

I mean, there's already a ton of positive impressions in here but this... is really, really good. Download this.

Can't believe this is seeing the light of day.

illusionary

I've come across the project from time to time during the course of development but held off trying it whilst it was still at 'demo' status... suffice to say, this release news is awesome to see!

This game is awesome. I'm not very far in but I'm really enjoying it. One thing that takes getting used to are the physics, I just so happened to be playing a lot of Super Metroid recently (a replay of the original, and the Redesign Axeil Edition for the first time) and Samus is much more weighty in this than in either of those.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yo dawgs, I'm trying to descend further but
there's a nasty bubble wall blocking my way wtf do I do. Naturally I went exploring but only found an area that was completely optional. I did find a room with the same layout as the one Samus gets infected by an X in Fusion though :D

Zero-ELEC

Banned
This game is awesome. I'm not very far in but I'm really enjoying it. One thing that takes getting used to are the physics, I just so happened to be playing a lot of Super Metroid recently (a replay of the original, and the Redesign Axeil Edition for the first time) and Samus is much more weighty in this than in either of those.

The physics are much closer to Zero Mission than Super Metroid.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
28 Metroids to go! I'll have to make sure I get all the upgrades as I can, would love to get 100%. Only seen Alpha and Gamma Metroids so far.

Zunnoab

Neo Member
Gotta say trying to perform a Shinespark to get to a super missile upgrade in the vine area is the worst. I don't really care for the mechanic at all.
I'm not claiming I'm a pro at this, but the secret to horizontal Shinesparks is this:
Find somewhere to run nearby and then hit down to charge the Shinespark. Now you are free to walk around and even jump diagonally for a time. When you are aligned horizontally with your target hold up, tap jump, then immediately hold the direction you wish to go.

The one I'm stuck on right now is
in the upper-right of the factory area. There's a power bomb wall after a cliff and then a Shinespark wall. I'm at a loss and will probably come back later.
Edit: (Spoilers for solution - Link to where question was answered.
You if you hit a slope horizontally shinesparking you can hit down to store it again, turn into a ball, power bomb, and then shinespark while in a ball to break through the second wall.

I don't yet know how to activate the weird device things on the walls yet in other parts of the game either so there's plenty to explore and learn still.

On a side note, you do not need power bombs as someone suggested to
restore power to the Tower, Samus will happily jump into the generator thing in morph ball form to restore power even if you lack power bombs. It's just a maze of bombing underneath rooms and falling through one way tiles to get to the generator if you lack the power bombs.

Also, for the
flying statue fight he drops a bunch of egg things that hatch. These shower you with health and missile drops if you destroy them.
As others said, you can also put that fight off until later as well as long as you
know how to Shinespark and use the spider ball to bypass the Space Jump powerup until later

VandalD

Yo dawgs, I'm trying to descend further but
there's a nasty bubble wall blocking my way wtf do I do. Naturally I went exploring but only found an area that was completely optional. I did find a room with the same layout as the one Samus gets infected by an X in Fusion though :D
You need to
get past one of the bubble walls to progress. Try using power bombs to find out which one.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not claiming I'm a pro at this, but the secret to horizontal Shinesparks is this:
Find somewhere to run nearby and then hit down to charge the Shinespark. Now you are free to walk around and even jump diagonally for a time. When you are aligned horizontally with your target hold up, tap jump, then immediately hold the direction you wish to go.

The one I'm stuck on right now is
in the upper-right of the factory area. There's a power bomb wall after a cliff and then a Shinespark wall. I'm at a loss and will probably come back later.

I don't yet know how to activate the weird device things on the walls yet in other parts of the game either so there's plenty to explore and learn still.

On a side note, you do not need power bombs as someone suggested to
restore power to the Tower, Samus will happily jump into the generator thing in morph ball form to restore power even if you lack power bombs. It's just a maze of bombing underneath rooms and falling through one way tiles to get to the generator if you lack the power bombs.

Also, for the
flying statue fight he drops a bunch of egg things that hatch. These shower you with health and missile drops if you destroy them.
As others said, you can also put that fight off until later as well as long as you
know how to Shinespark and use the spider ball to bypass the Space Jump powerup until later

For a time

It doesn't last long enough to reach the walls you have to break, at least for the area I tried. Either way this is a game that gets so frustrating at times you have to put down the controller and come back to it later. Reminds me of the old days.

KingBroly

Banned
You go to "+ Add A Game" on the bottom left of your steam library.

Click on browse and add the AM2R.exe file, confirm with "Add selected programs", and then right click on the game itself.

Click on Set Custom Image and add the pic from there

Thanks. This is the first time I've done that. Also the first fan game I've played.

Psxphile

For a time

It doesn't last long enough to reach the walls you have to break, at least for the area I tried. Either way this is a game that gets so frustrating at times you have to put down the controller and come back to it later. Reminds me of the old days.

I think I know which expansion you're talking about, I just got one in that area. If I'm reading you right: you're not supposed to walk up to it. Charge the shinespark, drop down from the upper level and immediately launch yourself towards the wall. Just let the momentum carry you into the Super missile.

Pretty fun game, but the movement is way too fast to me. I prefer super metroid control. The other weird thing is environmental stuff not having sound effects(earth shaking and blocks moving kind of stuff so far)

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I think I know which expansion you're talking about, I just got one in that area. If I'm reading you right: you're not supposed to walk up to it. Charge the shinespark, drop down from the upper level and immediately launch yourself towards the wall. Just let the momentum carry you into the Super missile.

I'll have to explore the area a bit more later. This game really does a good job at hiding secret passageways. Sometimes I find them completely on accident. I always "scout the room" by using Spider Ball and just dropping bombs along all the walls and it'll usually reveal a secret passage or at least tell me what weapon or gadget I need to get through them. That's probably why I'm over 5 hours in and only half done where everyone else completed it in 4 hours.

Then again, I never played the original Metroid II. I never played a Metroid game before.

I'll have to explore the area a bit more later. This game really does a good job at hiding secret passageways. Sometimes I find them completely on accident. I always "scout the room" by using Spider Ball and just dropping bombs along all the walls and it'll usually reveal a secret passage or at least tell me what weapon or gadget I need to get through them. That's probably why I'm over 5 hours in and only half done where everyone else completed it in 4 hours.

Then again, I never played the original Metroid II. I never played a Metroid game before.

What are you doing? Go play Super Metroid now!

Top Bottom