• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are changing the cardstock they print cards on for the Japanese release of Kaladesh. They say it shouldn't seem any different, but based on how they fucked up the new booster packaging for MM2015, I have faith that you will be able to tell these cards apart by feel.

I mean, yes, but it's also not the first time that's happened. Since the day they stopped printing 100% of cards at Carta Mundi it's been possible to identify different paper stock in a lot of different print runs. The only reason they brought it up this time when they haven't previous times is that these cards fluoresce differently.

On the mtghq thing, iirc desolator magic made a transphobic remark on twitter (something about identifying as a planeswalker) and mtghq replied saying something about peeing into the aether. That comment was what got him in trouble. It was an overreaction, imo

MTGHQ was a huge shithead about a bunch of different stuff, it wasn't just one thing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
On the mtghq thing, iirc desolator magic made a transphobic remark on twitter (something about identifying as a planeswalker) and mtghq replied saying something about peeing into the aether. That comment was what got him in trouble. It was an overreaction, imo

This wasnt the first shit he had taken on twitter.

MoxManiac

Okay. That was just what i heard. I dont follow mtghq too closely, his style of video isnt really my thing ( pretty much all product openings)

lol Cataclysm is a much better card. Taking out lands instead of planeswalkers is so much more devastating. Also costs 1 less. Thats also why the gearhulk is much closer to Arrogance than Cataclysm despite the name.

Minor nitpick but because of the wording, Cataclysm takes out ALL Planeswalkers on the field. Cataclysm is definitely the more powerful card.

lol Cataclysm is a much better card. Taking out lands instead of planeswalkers is so much more devastating. Also costs 1 less. Thats also why the gearhulk is much closer to Arrogance than Cataclysm despite the name.

It's really not and by comparing it as such there'll be many people who'll have a rude awakening when they try and choose for their opponents. You might argue people will RTFC but don't forget actual pro players messed up the order on how to flip Origin Chandra nlt long ago.

The Gearhulk is an updated to NWO Cataclysm since MLD is too much feelsbadman and PWs didn't exist back then. It's not a replacement for tragic arrogance.

Violet_0

Banned
would you run Diabolic Tutor in a limited deck with Demon of Dark Shemes and Fumigate? That's seems like one of those cases were it wouldn't be such a bad idea

would you run Diabolic Tutor in a limited deck with Demon of Dark Shemes and Fumigate? That's seems like one of those cases were it wouldn't be such a bad idea

So those are basically the only types of card where Diabolic Tutor could make sense. Taking a turn off to cast Diabolic Tutor puts you behind on board, but both of those cards catch you back up and create parity out of widely skewed board states. I still would lean towards not playing the card, but I wouldn't judge you for it - especially with both Demon and Fumigate in the same deck.

does anyone know how liliana the last hope is testing in the new standard environment? i have been playing magic since 1994 and never done standard. I recently decided to try it, and i want to try a planeswalker brew.

appreciate any opinions / guidance!

does anyone know how liliana the last hope is testing in the new standard environment? i have been playing magic since 1994 and never done standard. I recently decided to try it, and i want to try a planeswalker brew.

It's hard to say right now, but I can't imagine she'll suddenly get bad.

Planeswalker Deck lists are up. Chandra's focuses on vehicles, while Nissa's focuses on energy. I get that it's to encourage modifying the decks with your booster pack pulls, but it's still a shame that they're still providing so few copies of cards. Still, Nissa's deck is better about deck consistency in that regard.

Story post coming later.

She just wins if the opponents stumble but other than that I've not been too impressed. Losing languish is a huge deal for black. There's no replacement whatsoever in the colour meaning you have to go into another colour if you want a sweeper which makes all the BB spells less consistent. W/o a sweeper you can overwhelm her pretty easy.

Vehicles also evade her protection.

If you can protect her long enough to use her ultimate she's fucking awesome.
That said, I don't play standard...

It's hard to say right now, but I can't imagine she'll suddenly get bad.

Planeswalker Deck lists are up. Chandra's focuses on vehicles, while Nissa's focuses on energy. I get that it's to encourage modifying the decks with your booster pack pulls, but it's still a shame that they're still providing so few copies of cards. Still, Nissa's deck is better about deck consistency in that regard.

Story post coming later.

She just wins if the opponents stumble but other than that I've not been too impressed. Losing languish is a huge deal for black. There's no replacement whatsoever in the colour meaning you have to go into another colour if you want a sweeper which makes all the BB spells less consistent. W/o a sweeper you can overwhelm her pretty easy.

Vehicles also evade her protection.

If you can protect her long enough to use her ultimate she's fucking awesome.
That said, I don't play standard...

Thanks guys. I am actually thinking of going an almost all planeswalker list. Could be a terrible decision with all the vehicles but I'll use sylvan advocate for protection.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
This was posted yesterday, but I didn't see any talk and it seems important

They are changing the cardstock they print cards on for the Japanese release of Kaladesh. They say it shouldn't seem any different, but based on how they fucked up the new booster packaging for MM2015, I have faith that you will be able to tell these cards apart by feel.

You could already tell Japanese cards by feel, they were...smoother than English cards. In comparison, I usually play with English and Traditional Chinese cards and can't feel a difference in them.

Magic Story - Born of Aether - The story of an aetherborn named Yahenni. This seems like another case of a character created too late to get a legendary card.
* Aetherborn know exactly when they will die (of old age), and are thus able to plan out their lives.
* They can sense the emotions of people nearby.
* People think that they invented the aetherborn, but the aetherborn prefer to view it as them inventing themselves. Yahenni is a bit sad that aetherborn haven't actually invented anything since then.
* At a party they're holding, Yanhenni feels thrills from the happiness they're bringing other people.
* Depala is there with her pet hyena.
* Yahenni used to invest in inventors, but they retired once they had 60 days of life left.
* Depala asks if they really aren't going to try to put it off. Yahenni is one of the rare aetherborn capable of draining energy from people. They considered it, but want to go out the natural way. Depala says that a few extra days probably isn't worth the guilt.

* Oviya Pashiri, Chandra, and Nissa come in to the party. Yahenni thinks Chandra is way out of fashion, but they're fascinated by Nissa. Yahenni has no interest in romance, but rather thinks it will benefit them socially to pal around with an unusual and interesting person.
* They head to a private area. Pashiri tells them about Chandra being Pia's daughter, and Pia being captured. Yahenni's surprised they didn't know that.
* They don't know where she would be imprisoned, and they apologize for not being able to help. Chandra angrily states that if it was one of their parents imprisoned, they'd help, but Yahenni flippantly points out they have one of those. Chandra feels foolish, but it doesn't bother them.
* A group of reveling aetherborn burst into the mansion, carrying a dissolving aetherborn on a chair. They shout that it's their penultimate party (the last one before dying), and they go to the main party upstairs. Chandra decides to join the party upstairs, to maybe get more information, but Nissa would rather not.
* Yahenni detects her distress and talks with her. Nissa talks vaguely of celebrations her tribe had on Zendikar, in places that no longer exist.
* Yahenni doesn't find anything odd about her not knowing about aetherborn. They appear to only exist in the city, so a "country girl" wouldn't know much about them. They describe how aetherborn work, with them being born of the aether, living from 4 weeks to 4 years, and "families" of aetherborn laying claim to certain areas known to produce them and adopting any that stumble out of there.
* Nissa says this reminds her of nature elementals. She has a hard time accepting something "natural" like this could come out of a city. Yahenni remarks that even in the city, nature is still all around them. After a bit, Nissa is able to understand how nature works on Kaladesh, in a cycle.

* A consulate officer comes to the door, seemingly looking for Nissa and Chandra. Yahenni gives the two a plan. Nissa knocks the guard out, and Yahenni interrogates him about where Pia is being help. They do this simply by asking him about various prisons and detecting the change in his emotions.
* This way, they discover that Pia is at Dhund Prison. Baral is stationed there. Chandra, Nissa, and Pashiri leave.
* Yahenni turns their attention back to the aetherborn who was holding their penultimate party. They're just a minute from dying, and are choosing to do so in an empty bathroom. Yahenni notices a security anklet, showing that they had escaped from prison. The officer was actually here for that aetherborn.
* After the aetherborn dies, Yahenni goes through their belongings, and sees that they were arrested for petty theft.
* Yahenni thinks that it's unfair that they'll die soon too, and how much of a waste it is that the Consulate is arresting aetherborn for minor crimes, given how little time they have.
* They start to have the thought that they could use their energy draining to get revenge for the aetherborn that just died, but they dismiss it. They go back to the party, announce their biggest one yet after the conclusion of the Inventors' Fair, and feels alive again from the revelry.

So were Aetherborn invented in the time chandra was away?

No, I think they've been around for a while. Chandra just spoke in the heat of the moment, and seemed to get what Yahenni was saying about their parents without any further explanation needed, unlike Nissa. I imagine she was thinking, "Oh, yeah, I forgot that was a thing."

Violet_0

Banned
I'm going to guess the Aetherborn legend has extented his lifetime indefinitely by killing a whole bunch of people

also, their narrative writting always makes me cringe
Kaladesh Limited Set Review: Blue By Luis Scott-Vargas

Looks like the weakest colour at common/uncommon level, but still decently playable.
blue has a whole bunch of weak or useless spells and counterspells and a pretty large number of below average creatures, but if the stars align in my test drafts occasionally I get some of the best control cards and late game threats
I get the feeling that W and B are the go-to colors for all-around solid commons and uncommons, the others seem to be much more fickle

Santiako

FjfEdBw.jpg

Every time I look at this card I get a bit angry at wizards at how absurdly much they are pushing green.

FjfEdBw.jpg

Every time I look at this card I get a bit angry at wizards at how absurdly much they are pushing green.

Bro, this is nothing compared to the toys green has gotten over the past couple of sets.

I'm convinced that Wizards keeps printing absurd Modern-playable green and green/black 2-drops because they're trying to solve the Tarmogoyf problem without reprinting Tarmogoyf.

red13th

FjfEdBw.jpg

It's not all that great IMO. I still prefer Kalonian Hydra for a dumb beater, this one generates etb value but dies to Disenchant and Kolaghan's Command. Also Sarkhan Vol into Hydra is fun (speaking cube). Maybe it's bias speaking though.

I don't think this week's story should get a TL:DR. It's actually great. If you have the time check it out, Magic stories are much better when they're about worldbuilding and character exploration like this. There's no action, it's just a nice quiet story. I love it.

KTK block had some pretty good short stories, too.

I don't think this week's story should get a TL:DR. It's actually great. If you have the time check it out, Magic stories are much better when they're about worldbuilding and character exploration like this. There's no action, it's just a nice quiet story. I love it.

KTK block had some pretty good short stories, too.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the story was good. I summarize them because I know several people in this thread wouldn't know what happened otherwise no matter what.

Also, ongoing MTG thread about the most expensive card in your collection.

Ashodin

Aetherborn appeared fifty years ago on Kaladesh. That's interesting.

It's like the Sylvari in Guild Wars 2 - they only arrived recently in the lore and
they were minions of an Elder Dragon, one of the game's greatest evils

I could see something similar happening here.
Aetherborn could be the plane's "revolt" against the harvesting of its natural resources

Aetherborn appeared fifty years ago on Kaladesh. That's interesting.

It's like the Sylvari in Guild Wars 2 - they only arrived recently in the lore and
they were minions of an Elder Dragon, one of the game's greatest evils

I could see something similar happening here.
Aetherborn could be the plane's "revolt" against the harvesting of its natural resources

That could explain why Nissa's relevant to the story. I mean, wasn't the great age of Invention started 50ish years ago? Having Nissa come in
and act as a mediator between the Plane and The People would be a nice non-You"Fight Everything!!" Ending.

While we are on vehicles they should adopt the frame and put the power and toughness boost into the frame of equipment. If there's any altering effects those can be in the text.
It'd just be a better visual representation of Equipment buffs. Especially for limited.

* Yahenni thinks that it's unfair that they'll die soon too, and how much of a waste it is that the Consulate is arresting aetherborn for minor crimes, given how little time they have.
* They start to have the thought that they could use their energy draining to get revenge for the aetherborn that just died, but they dismiss it. They go back to the party, announce their biggest one yet after the conclusion of the Inventors' Fair, and feels alive again from the revelry.

Guys, guys, I think I just found out what will be the main story of "Aether Revolt". Very subtle...

While we are on vehicles they should adopt the frame and put the power and toughness boost into the frame of equipment. If there's any altering effects those can be in the text.
It'd just be a better visual representation of Equipment buffs. Especially for limited.
Why not also extend it to Aura's then?

I mean, I'm totally on board with this, because dear lord does having to Check what my opponent's bogle is at is annoying at times.

Why not also extend it to Aura's then?

I mean, I'm totally on board with this, because dear lord does having to Check what my opponent's bogle is at is annoying at times.
Sure
Do you display it beneath the card like most people do? It's like you have to "extend" the text box in combat lol
I create a monster of boardspanning proportions and have to count and recount every combat. Usually upwards right corner diagonally stacked under the creature
that's exactly like I do it. Thanks for Illustrating division.

ultron87

Did a Mirrodin cube draft last night. Good equipment is so absurd for limited. I got the Loxodon Warhammer and it was dumb. And that was an uncommon.

You would have to do it like this - you need to see the name of the cards and not just the stats.

pYJopye.png

And the "enchant creature" is not redundant; every Aura has to specify what it is allowed to enchant (see Caustic Tar or Curse of the Bloody Tome). There probably would be a cleaner way to do it in the type line, but that's not how it works right now.

Did a Mirrodin cube draft last night. Good equipment is so absurd for limited. I got the Loxodon Warhammer and it was dumb. And that was an uncommon.

That stupid thing is so good they reprinted it at rare.

And the next time they tried to print equipment that good at uncommon, they made it cost colored mana.

Ashodin

Could they just not put it on the type line?

X3NvLnZ.png

Like this? It's a creature aura. Aura in the rules would be changed to fit this but it would get wordy.

Fucking Enchant Aura Auras fuck this up something hard

Ashodin

What about Threads of Disloyalty?

I mean it stays the same? The quantifier makes it relevant text.

I think I'd rather have something like Auras/Equipment have the box on the bottom left. I feel like it would help new players not get confused by what is a creature vs what is a buff.

I think the darkened P/T box is relevant because after this players will be taught that that color means it is "turned off" until turned on. (I can't do the darkened box in MSE for Auras without 'shopping)

-

Smug Copter is going up.

KBkTnuz.gif

Yesterday it was below 5.

Worth noting I faced a RB Smuggler's Copter deck with madness errr where. I won 2-1 against it. My deck is just way more resilient because of Stone Haven Outfitter babay

Ashodin

229.jpg

They was a reason they changed it.

Yeah they changed it because they wanted to unify typing "Enchant Creature" -> "Enchantment".

If it's a subtype though it should be obvious what it enchants.

For example, Curses can be Enchantment - Player Aura Curse or just Enchantment - Player Curse.

This shit needs simplification imo. Maybe Amonkhet will do it.

Yeef

Part of me agrees, and part of me thinks it'd be weird with equipment that doesn't pump P/T, like Infiltration lens. Seeing +0/+0 seems like extra clutter.

Could they just not put it on the type line?

X3NvLnZ.png

Like this? It's a creature aura. Aura in the rules would be changed to fit this but it would get wordy.

Fucking Enchant Aura Auras fuck this up something hard
THat's how they used to do it. It makes the type line cluttered though, especially with cards like Animate Dead. And having it be inconsistent (on the type line some time, in the text box other times) is far, far worse.

55.jpg

Glix

I think they did vehicles the best you could without making them DFCs

Ithink if they were dfcs you could have them "parked" on the front and "crewed up" and in motion on the back

The massive downside being the constant flipping

Glix

In fairness that is a brutal example. Foxy Loxy was the most broken limited equipment until Jitte dropped and it still has to be top 5 I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom