• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Organized Play changes, though it's mostly just making permanent the changes they were testing out before, regarding deck submissions and anti-scouting measures. They are taking back the special pairing method for rounds 15 and 16, though.

Concerning Kamigawa, I have the feeling that "Ham" block in 2nd half 2017 will be a return to there, if only because I don't think they're ready to do Return to Return to Ravnica in the two-set block yet and any other return block would feel too soon.

Well, baring Alara is Rainbow from Alara Reborn, Alara does have an Artifact subtheme, is directly tied to Bolas, etc. It wouldn't be the most wildcard choice.

Also, I'm fairly certain MaRo has said a return to Alara is a "When", not an "if".

Dominaria is the plane that will probably get the second set of land expeditions. Lots of good potential cards that are plane specific.

I would actually figure Dominaria is the plane that they can do a purely creative theme and just have "stuff from around here." On top of lands there's a bunch of artifacts and creatures that are Dominarian exclusively and could fit well in a set like that.

But yes, it will almost unquestionably have lands. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth expedition *drool*

I can agree with most of what he's saying, but my big complaint stems from how Lax Wizards is in moderating the Format. Like, I know they can't micromanage it, but "the rules" of Modern are so loosely enforced by Wizards. They say that they don't want Fast Mana in the format(But leave SSG and Mox Opal in). They say they don't want Modern decks to be too consistent in how they function, but Kamikazoo is effectively a 48 card deck because 12 cards cycle for 0 mana. Wizards says "Modern is a Turn 4 Format" but never help to keep that in check. Technically, Twin was keeping the Format focused on Turn 4, even if that was by virtue of a Two card "Oops, I win" combo.

I think this is partially a result of how the format's purpose has bounced around (like, until they pulled it from the Pro Tour again they were somewhat artificially constrained in how they modified the banlist) and partially a question of trying to maintain that balance. Like, the SSG exception is certainly weird, but at the same time if it isn't actually producing an imbalance in practice in the current metagame it makes a certain amount of sense to leave it alone even if it breaks the rules.

That's true, but MaRo was asked this just a few days ago and said Ajani's basically in GW as they have no other "defining" walker in that 2 colour pair. Sarkhan as Temur was super weird though, I'll give you that.

Oh yeah, I mean, I wouldn't expect to see a mono-white Ajani again soon, I just wanted to note that they do take PWs outside their "official" combos and so a three-color Ajani wouldn't be entirely off the table if there was a set-relevant reason for it. (But yes, most likely he'll get another GW card next.)

I was envisioning just a mechanical reboot, not a complete reboot.

The issue is that the creative on Kamigawa is actually the biggest problem with the set. The actual spirits were a big disaster for them because they're so weird, don't have a really consistent aesthetic, and are very tough to tell apart. They also used up so much of the creature creative space in the block that there's almost no non-humanoid, non-spirit creature type options, and only one of the five iconics exists in the setting. The mortal side of Kamigawa is firmly in the "people from under the green sun" era of setting design so it's just five fairly stereotypical monocolor races without a lot of subtlety or crossover.

Like, you could fix the problems with those things, but then you wind up with something that looks pretty different in major ways to how we last saw Kamigawa and it's still more work to get there than to build a new setting.

Oh right, I forgot about Alara. That is pretty likely, though I wonder if it would still feel too early to have another three-color block.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm still to this day trying to figure out where Kira, Great Glass-Spinner's faaaaaaace is

A return to Kamigawa has to be in the works, right? They've shown it and mentioned it too much to not be for something.

Pretty much the opposite. It's consistently listed as the least likely plane from the modern era for them to return to (the only even less likely ones are stuff like Ulgrotha and Mercadia from the old days.) It keeps coming up because they know there's a small but enthusiastic group of fans so bringing it up in website stories/Commander decks/etc. is a good compromise.

Concerning Kamigawa, I have the feeling that "Ham" block in 2nd half 2017 will be a return to there, if only because I don't think they're ready to do Return to Return to Ravnica in the two-set block yet and any other return block would feel too soon.

Ham's the block that they stole Monarch and Vehicles from so I dunno that Kamigawa's really a good fit there.

They could do a return to Alar-ahahahahahaha

Alara's basically the bubble choice, it was received well enough that a return is possible while not being so popular that one is necessary. I think it's somewhat more likely that they revisit Alara next time they do a 3-color set than that they tie that to a new setting, but I wouldn't be shocked if we don't go back.

There's still Lorwyn/Shadowmoor with a possibility for focusing on hybrid again.

Lorwyn is another casualty of terrible market research results unfortunately.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd rather see Muraganda, aka DINOSAUR world than a return to anywhere.

Lizard Beast :(

jph139

I imagine "Japan world" has got to be on their list, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have that in the works down the line. The question is whether they start from scratch or try and reboot Kamigawa.

Most of the creative problems are with the Kami, though, which can easily be circumvented by just not having more than a handful of them. Samurai, ninja, monks, foxfolk, ratfolk, oni... the "mortal" half of the plane is pretty easy to reuse, and they can drop the rest without much trouble.

I imagine "Japan world" has got to be on their list, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have that in the works down the line. The question is whether they start from scratch or try and reboot Kamigawa.

Most of the creative problems are with the Kami, though, which can easily be circumvented by just not having more than a handful of them. Samurai, ninja, monks, foxfolk, ratfolk, oni... the "mortal" half of the plane is pretty easy to reuse, and they can drop the rest without much trouble.

I've concluded that a new plane would be better. They could ignore all the Kamigawa baggage and it would be a nice change from each plane being a checkmark on a list of settings. Instead of it being Kamigawa: The Japanese-styled plane it would be Kamigawa: A Japanese-styled plane and X: A Japanese-styled plane. It makes the multiverse seem somewhat more alive and less designed by committee.

Angry Grimace

I don't want Dinotopia with magic though. Much prefer to see a more primal world where its based on survival, humans vs beast, spells that rough around the edges like humans are just tapping into a new conduit.

Caveman Planeswalker!

But "primal world" probably means they'd insert docile waifu elfwalker into the plot to talk to trees again and continue to not understand the meaning of friendship.

I'd love Muraganda or another dinosaur world if they did two things:
* Actually use the "dinosaur" creature type, because dinosaurs being lizards reflects a very outdated understanding of them.
* Give them feathers. I'm actually not too worried about this, because the dinosaurs that are on Fiora for some reason had feathers.

Ashodin

Caveman Planeswalker!

But "primal world" probably means they'd insert docile waifu elfwalker into the plot to talk to trees again and continue to not understand the meaning of friendship.
No, a tsundere Ayla type.

"Baka, it's not l-like I wanted to teach you how to ride dinosaurs..."

Angry Grimace

I'd love Muraganda or another dinosaur world if they did two things:
* Actually use the "dinosaur" creature type, because dinosaurs being lizards reflects a very outdated understanding of them.
* Give them feathers. I'm actually not too worried about this, because the dinosaurs that are on Fiora for some reason had feathers.

Tyrannosaurus
Creature - Bird Beast
Trample
8/8

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean, mostly what I don't want to lose from Kamigawa are the races. I don't want them to jettison the Nezumi, Kitsune, and esprcially the Orochi and Moonfolk

ajf009

Wait so Elspeth died on Theros? (I never follow the story so this is news to me) I read a bit on it and apparently you go to the Underworld when you die on Theros. I'd love to see her brought back to life as a BW planeswalker in the future

Santiako

Wait so Elspeth died on Theros? (I never follow the story so this is news to me) I read a bit on it and apparently you go to the Underworld when you die on Theros. I'd love to see her brought back to life as a BW planeswalker in the future

Yeah, and the last thing we know is that Dack Fayden headed down there to find her. (I think)

The Therosian Concept of death is very much like the Greeks in that you end up in another realm but it's more of part of their world then a different plane/existence. Theros has the Returned who've escaped from Death(Daxos in Commander 2015 was a prime example), with Rescue From The Underworld being an example of what Elspeth's Fate might be.

Elspeth was forging a Mask of the Returned at the tail end of the Theros Block Trailers compilation, so she's either coming back as a Returned, a diety or some mixture.

Angry Grimace

She IS in the underworld, but nobody's really gone there other than Dack Fayden and he's kinda, sorta not in the plot.

Yeah, and the last thing we know is that Dack Fayden headed down there to find her. (I think)

Dack's plot is that he has some kind of magic multi-planar gauntlet that he's trying to assemble. He went down to the Underworld because something something curing the Sleep Disease that Ashiok caused. They never explained what happened after that, but I don't think he explicitly went to find Elspeth.

I don't expect Elspeth to be permanently dead, either.

Ashodin

Dack's plot is that he has some kind of magic multi-planar gauntlet that he's trying to assemble. He went down to the Underworld because something something curing the Sleep Disease that Ashiok caused. They never explained what happened after that, but I don't think he explicitly went to find Elspeth.

This shit literally is the avengers

It'll be in some Oceans 11 style heist block.

130049_story__shocked.gif

HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN A THING YET

Angry Grimace

What creatures with '~ETB Destroy target artifact' do we have in Standard right now?

Mockery of Nature! Kinda. (lol)

They eventually gotta rope him in, right? It'll be in some Oceans 11 style heist block.

Dack is one of those random side-fiction characters that was probably never meant to be introduced into the main plot since he only really exists in weird comics that no longer exist. Sort of like Me'dan in Warcraft fiction.

It's kind of a problem with how much they're laser-focused on the Jacetice League these days - the stories currently have a tendency to linger on a specific plot thread for a really long time despite the general story beats being known well in advance of them being published (e.g. Ajani saving Oviya and Chandra was in Duels, and Pia escaping and getting into a BATTLEBOTS fight with Tezzeret after which he leaves and confiscates all of the inventions at the Fair is depicted on cards, as well as the fat pack book).

The only time they'd ever have a chance to bother explaining what Dack is doing, or Koth, or Teferi or something, is if they end up in a supplemental product other than a Masters set (which they rarely do).

Dack is one of those random side-fiction characters that was probably never meant to be introduced into the main plot since he only really exists in weird comics that no longer exist. Sort of like Me'dan in Warcraft fiction.

I think you have this backwards a little bit. While the IDW comics were going they needed to avoid using Dack in their normal storytelling so as to avoid causing problems for the comics. Once they were over it freed him up as a character they can use whenever. Introducing him in Conspiracy sets him up as someone that can get a regular Standard-legal card later like they did with Nahiri; sending him to Theros makes him an obvious include when they do the next block there.

Ozigizo

Decided to run Grixis Emerge, might make a few changes, though.

On another note: I realize that I want a vehicle that protects the creature, like, it gives them indestructible or hexproof when they pilot. I'm confused by how that wasn't already a plan.

Ashodin

It's Skysovereign's time to shine!

One of the things I'm excited about CMD2016 is that they can expand on the lore of what other planes are doing.

Like how Kamigawa got Kaseto

Santiako

Decided to run Grixis Emerge, might make a few changes, though.

On another note: I realize that I want a vehicle that protects the creature, like, it gives them indestructible or hexproof when they pilot. I'm confused by how that wasn't already a plan.

There's no limit to how many creatures can crew a vehicle and you can crewing even after it becomes a creature, so that could create some problems unless it was like crew 5 or something like that.

Ashodin

Aetherflux Reservoir is hilarious with

Tainted Sigil
Exquisite Blood

Also, I'm putting my spritework on InkedPlaymats so I can make some bux! I'll probably make another scene and sell it as well.

Ua3HpAr.png

Ashodin

heeeeeeey that looks familiar

hey this does too

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-artificer-aggro-standard

He's close on the build, but I think is inferior. He just goes all in on the Artificer type line.

I've been playing with my deck more and I've realized that there's two lines of play each game - do you go the artificer + stone haven route or just beat downs with smug copter? The game will develop over time into either or strat and you need to commit once it comes up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I mean, mostly what I don't want to lose from Kamigawa are the races. I don't want them to jettison the Nezumi, Kitsune, and esprcially the Orochi and Moonfolk

Spirits were the best part of that world aside from the perfect ninja implementation, despite what Wizards marketing and charlequin would say.

Angry Grimace

Playing Temur Emerge on MTGO and it still seems pretty good. You still lose to the RB or RW nut draw, but them's the breaks. I still don't think they should have printed Copter because giving aggro constant gas is kind of BS.

Ashodin

Playing Temur Emerge on MTGO and it still seems pretty good. You still lose to the RB or RW nut draw, but them's the breaks. I still don't think they should have printed Copter because giving aggro constant gas is kind of BS.

They fixed literally the only problem with my deck. I <3 U Smug Cop

I just learned the Forgotten Realms are possibly coming to an end soon.

Apparently Wizards wasn't even paying particularly well when the books sold and in recent years there've only been 3 writers who wrote for them regularly anyway.
So I guess it could be worse in regards to Magic Story.

I legit read the last book in my favourite series these last couple years in 2 days and it's not a particular short book. I guess it's time to reread it from the start.

MrDoctor

part of me wants a return to kamigawa but the other part is afraid they'll screw up the art as bad as they did with zendikar

Violet_0

Banned
fucking hell, there are still really no mechanisms in Duels to prevent my opponent from infinite griefing via pausing, letting the timer run out and so on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom