• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
would it be a bad idea to get an amd ryzen cpu with a nvidia gpu?

Not at all, there's nothing wrong with mixing and match amd/intel with nvidia/amd. In fact, most people upgrading to Ryzen will probably run nvidia graphics cards.

ayob

Not at all, there's nothing wrong with mixing and match amd/intel with nvidia/amd. In fact, most people upgrading to Ryzen will probably run nvidia graphics cards.

i wouldnt be missing out on any features? or not taking advantage of something?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Welp a friend of mine expressed interest in my current 4790k PC minus my 1070

Kaby Lake and micro atx here we come b o y s

Celcius

°Temp. member
i wouldnt be missing out on any features? or not taking advantage of something?

Nope :)

Welp a friend of mine expressed interest in my current 4790k PC minus my 1070

Kaby Lake and micro atx here we come b o y s

Welcome to the kaby club
monta-ellis-handshake.gif

My builds always end up with something wrong with them so I just bought this instead:

http://www.frys.com/product/9068957...f7k22doBEaZ9vmqYYMe8AakjEX1mqZdwjoBoCrV3w_wcB

MSI AEGIS216US VR Ready Gaming Desktop PC with 7th Gen i7-7700 Processor,16GB Memory,2TB HD+256SSD,Nvidia GTX1070 8GB,Window 10

Are "gaming" pc's and components designed for 7yr olds? Cause my nephew would love that design

Sorry I don't mean to talk shit. Enjoy your new pc. It's a touchy issue for me cause I just bought a gsync monitor and I wish it just looked like a monitor and not a velociraptor

dcx4610

Anyone have any high airflow case recommendations? I like full/super towers with lots of fans and big intake. I have the Thermaltake Core V71 which I like but I've had it for years and the filters buzz out of the blue and annoy me to death. Any suggestions?

Note: I've already owned the Cooler Master HAF and the Corsair Obsidian drive bays annoy me.

11-133-244-41.jpg

J3ffro

Anyone have any high airflow case recommendations? I like full/super towers with lots of fans and big intake. I have the Thermaltake Core V71 which I like but I've had it for years and the filters buzz out of the blue and annoy me to death. Any suggestions?

Note: I've already owned the Cooler Master HAF and the Corsair Obsidian drive bays annoy me.

I've been using an NZXT Phantom 630 for a few months ago, and I'm very pleased. The drive bays are completely removable and modular - I have one drive bay installed instead of the 7 it comes with. It has several big fans, with room to put a few more in if you are so inclined, and you can change their speeds by sliding the switch on the top. It was my first build in literally a decade, and the case definitely made it easy.

11-146-112-06.jpg

Sevenfold

Does the controller shut off completely? Does pushing the home button bring up the menu? I had the issue where none of the buttons worked in the game, but the controller still functioned in steam.

Dead according to input but ok until I unplug according to the accessories app. Home button never does anything when pressed.

kennah

Guys, I need urgent help. If I've run out of SATA ports on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H which has 8 ports) how can I connect my new hard drive with a SATA 3-600 cable? Maybe a splitter like this?

I've used all 8 of these.
Nope. What's there is what you have unless you add an expansion card to a PCI or pci-e slot.

Why not remove a smaller older drive? What are you doing?

Gandie

So finishing my PC didn't satisfy my need to build, so today I ordered some Bitfenix sleeved cables in white. So excited how they will look in my case.
I only ordered the cables that are clearly visible from the outside (24atx, 8pin PCIe, USB header and Sata data cable).

Will share the results later this week.

So the cables arrived today. Unfortunately the SATA cable is too short. Need to get a adapter to use the new cable as an extension of the old one. Also need more cable combs for the PCI-E cable and the USB 3 header cable is shipping directly from Hong Kong, so it will take some time before it gets here.

Still very happy with the results so far.

gurm3n

Neo Member
Hello guys! A friend of mine can get Intel processors with great discount and I'm having some trouble deciding which one to get. Basically I'm between i5 7600k and i7 7700k. I'd like to not worry for a hardware change for a long time so I'm really interested in the 7700k. I'll be doing gaming most of the time and I've heard that a 7600k is just fine for that, but I've also heard that lately, games are making more use of extra threads, so that's why I'm kinda undecided. What do you think I should do?

Thanks!!

Draft

Hello guys! A friend of mine can get Intel processors with great discount and I'm having some trouble deciding which one to get. Basically I'm between i5 7600k and i7 7700k. I'd like to not worry for a hardware change for a long time so I'm really interested in the 7700k. I'll be doing gaming most of the time and I've heard that a 7600k is just fine for that, but I've also heard that lately, games are making more use of extra threads, so that's why I'm kinda undecided. What do you think I should do?

Thanks!!
7600k. Gaming ROI going from a 7600k to a 7700k is negligible. In 5 years the 7600k will still probably be fast enough to run every game.

Snookie

Trying to decide on my last piece. I'm kinda new to the SSD game. My original plan was to go with an Intel 600p 500GB m.2 chip. However, I was thinking maybe I keep that open and just go with an samsung 850 500 drive. It seems like the 850 might be a bit faster? Just curious on others thoughts. The price isnt really a factor with these 2. I just want the best bang for the buck.

LilJoka

Trying to decide on my last piece. I'm kinda new to the SSD game. My original plan was to go with an Intel 600p 500GB m.2 chip. However, I was thinking maybe I keep that open and just go with an samsung 850 500 drive. It seems like the 850 might be a bit faster? Just curious on others thoughts. The price isnt really a factor with these 2. I just want the best bang for the buck.

All of these drives are within margin of each other, you aren't going to notice a difference. I would go m.2 as less cables is better.

I have to ship my computer next week. I was planning on removing the PSU, video card and CPU cooler to pack separately, while leaving the case with motherboard, CPU and RAM mounted (and then put into the padded case shipping box).

Anything I'm overlooking here?

Weevilone

I have to ship my computer next week. I was planning on removing the PSU, video card and CPU cooler to pack separately, while leaving the case with motherboard, CPU and RAM mounted (and then put into the padded case shipping box).

Anything I'm overlooking here?

As long as you can pack the case securely, I wouldn't worry about removing the PSU. If the CPU cooler is similar to a stock Intel model then I wouldn't worry with that either, but if it's something like a high-end Noctua then yeah I'd remove it if possible. I have shipped with one of those in place in the past and it was fine, but I held my breath.

Sort of the same with video cards. If it's something pedestrian then pull it. If it's a 980ti / 1080 type card with substantial weight then might as well be safe.

Jamaro85

So I had a dud ASUS RX 480 Dual OC 4GB that I returned to Microcenter in exchange for a MSI Gaming X (for $15 more), and I'm stunned at the difference in performance between the two cards. I messed with the ASUS for a few days as I was researching how everything worked with OCing it properly and it was clear it was a lemon. Gonna copy and paste my experience that I posted in the Overclock.net forum RX480-470-460 owners club thread:

Out of the box the MSI ran stable at stock 1305 MHz, 1750 MHz memory, at 1.162V and 0.975V respectively. Peak temp is 72 C with the fan only reaching 30-35%; with custom fan settings I can get the peak temp closer to 65 C at 55-65% fan at that point, but I'll take a few degrees of heat for less work on the fan.

Stable overclocks (passed at 5 MHz higher in multiple benchmarks each of Unigine Heaven, Unigine Valley, Fire Strike, Sleeping Dogs)

Core clock from 1305 MHz to 1420 MHz
Mem clock from 1750 MHz to 2250 MHz
Stock voltage settings of 1.162V core and 0.975V memory
Power limit increase to +15%
73 C peak temperature, typically 40% max fan speed at peak temperature

(*Note: Someone on the Overclock.net forum contested the validity of the memory OC and wants me to do memory error testing; no errors found in EVGA OC Scanner X v3 but I'm not sure how conclusive that is and am having trouble finding other utilities to test for memory errors)

Sometimes the fan will creep past 40% at peak, but generally it stays low and is quiet. I couldn't get the card to not crash at 1.550V and therefore probably won't even try to run it below default. 1.162V seems like such an arbitrary number, and I believe that MSI knew what they were doing and found this to be the lowest voltage that the card could be OCed heavily at. The power draw ranges from 150-190W, 200-205W at HEAVY load, but still the card remains cool. I'll have to put it into practical use by playing games and determining long term stability from there, but it's cleared all tests at 1425 MHz (dialed it back to 1420 MHz after testing) - Heaven, Valley, Fire Strike, Sleeping Dogs benchmark tests multiple times. I might get gully and try Furmark later to see what happens.

From everything I've looked at over the last few days I feel like this is a pretty good overclock and I couldn't be happier. In contrast, this is what I was coming from with the ASUS RX 480 Dual OC 4GB:

-Only ran 1150 MHz at 1.15V out the box despite being set to 1300 MHz; card was throttling itself to 100W peak power draw.
-Raising power limit to +35% held the card at 1300 MHz at 1.15V, BUT the card quickly reached throttling temp of 90 C. Power draw peaked at 135W.
-Card held stable 1300 MHz with a downvolt to 1.10V and +35% power limit, but this left no headroom for overclocking.
-Card got up to 1315 MHz stable at 1.12V, BUT to stay under 75 C I had to run the fan 80% at that point.

I most likely got a lemon and have a hard time believing all the ASUS RX 480 Duals run that poorly. Reviews were generally favorable, so I'll chalk it up to bad luck. After having dealt with that card I still cannot believe the gains I have achieved with the MSI. I'm still in awe at this thing.

0racle

Hey guys,

I am looking for a new desktop that will do mostly everything including gaming. I found what I *think* is a really good deal. I just need some input before I officially commit to it.

Keep in mind I'm Canadian. This is the exact PC I am looking at

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-8910-se...910-se-desktop

with all the discounts, coupons, negotiating and haggling I was able to get this final price

1492.00 CANADIAN out the door, tax in.
that is roughly 1142 USD tax in shipped.

I want performance, but more importantly is the best bang for my buck and a deal. I know its a pre built, I know putting a PC together would get me better customization on parts. I don't want to really deal with the stress and OCD of deciding on a dozen pieces, let alone on a PC. I feel this is a REALLY good deal but of course, need some input since it is a big one.

How future proof is it?
how is it for gaming?
performance?
price?

Thanks guys so much.

Hey guys,

I am looking for a new desktop that will do mostly everything including gaming. I found what I *think* is a really good deal. I just need some input before I officially commit to it.

with all the discounts, coupons, negotiating and haggling I was able to get this final price

I want performance, but more importantly is the best bang for my buck and a deal. I know its a pre built, I know putting a PC together would get me better customization on parts. I don't want to really deal with the stress and OCD of deciding on a dozen pieces, let alone on a PC. I feel this is a REALLY good deal but of course, need some input since it is a big one.

How future proof is it?
how is it for gaming?
performance?
price?

Thanks guys so much.
Link doesn't work for me.

Grug

Okay, standing in a shop as we speak scratching my head. Googling is giving me more questions than answers.

What's the non fanboi verdict on GTX1060 6gb vs RX480 8gb?

Prices are equivalent.

Sir_JD

Neo Member
So the cables arrived today. Unfortunately the SATA cable is too short. Need to get a adapter to use the new cable as an extension of the old one. Also need more cable combs for the PCI-E cable and the USB 3 header cable is shipping directly from Hong Kong, so it will take some time before it gets here.

Looks great! Quick question: which cooler are you using? I'm hoping to put together a new black / white build, and that CPU cooler looks perfect. Thanks!

RX480 will have longer legs

Thanks. Was leaning that way to begin with, this clinched it. :)

To clarify a bit further, while the GTX 1060 does take the lead in many if not most Direct X 11 applications, the RX 480 performs generally better when DX12 and Vulkan are used. Thus the expectation is that as more applications are built with those in mind, the RX 480 will age better in comparison to the GTX 1060/

LilJoka

Hey guys,

How future proof is it?
how is it for gaming?
performance?
price?

Thanks guys so much.

Posted in the other thread but rather discuss here

It's a lot of money and I wouldn't be taking their sacrifices for my money.
Just build it yourself it's very easy, we can spec it for you.

i7 6700 is superseded by the 7700.
GTX 1070 - great but I bet it's the blower design cooler which is loud.
Single RAM module at only 2133mhz. A lot of performance loss compared to 3000mhz dual channel for just a tiny bit of savings.
Unknown PSU
No overclock ability

So much shooting yourself in the foot.

This is more expensive but much more ideal.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($453.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.84 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($185.18 @ shopRBC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($105.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($514.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($102.99 @ PC Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1697.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-16 19:27 EST-0500

Edit: Didn't mean to choose the Corsair CXM PSU.

Any idea what what went wrong here?
Finally built my new Kaby Lake rig on tuesday. Two of my old HDDs died. :(

CPU: Intel 7700K
CPU: cooler: Noctua NH-D15
MB: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Power supply: 500W be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM

Decided to keep my old Crucial SSD and 3 Samsung HDDs (2 TB, 1 TB and 640 GB). At least for the first few weeks.

Well not long and I noticed that the partitions of my 1 TB HDD (7 years old) were gone. And they never came back. The HDD wouldn't boot up anymore, only a very short noise when turning on the computer. So I figured that this was my first HDD death. I had also heard some clicking noise and thought that it was coming from this HDD, but turns out that I was wrong. It actually came from my 640 GB HDD (almost 8 years old) since I still heard it after I had already pulled out the first one.
So after realizing this I quickly turned off my computer again and also pulled out the 2nd HDD.
Went to my brothers place and looks like he managed to revive the first dead HDD, but it's in bad shape. Same goes for the clicking one. Remains to be seen how many of the data I'll be able to recover. Well, could have been worse.
I'm a long time Asus mainboard user and Emermax power supply user and this makes me feel bad about my choices for the new hardware (MSI MB and be quiet power supply).
Any idea what could have went wrong? Shouldn't I have used the old SATA cables from my old computer? Any bios settings that could be the cause? Never had seen an UEFI bios before.

tl;dr:
2 of my 3 HDDs died after building a new rig. Only bad luck?

Damn it, I want combs for my sleeved cables :(

LilJoka

Decided to keep my old Crucial SSD and 3 Samsung HDDs (2 TB, 1 TB and 640 GB). At least for the first few weeks.

Well not long and I noticed that the partitions of my 1 TB HDD (7 years old) were gone. And they never came back. The HDD wouldn't boot up anymore, only a very short noise when turning on the computer. So I figured that this was my first HDD death. I had also heard some clicking noise and thought that it was coming from this HDD, but turns out that I was wrong. It actually came from my 640 GB HDD (almost 8 years old) since I still heard it after I had already pulled out the first one.
So after realizing this I quickly turned off my computer again and also pulled out the 2nd HDD.
Went to my brothers place and looks like he managed to revive the first dead HDD, but it's in bad shape. Same goes for the clicking one. Remains to be seen how many of the data I'll be able to recover. Well, could have been worse.
I'm a long time Asus mainboard user and Emermax power supply user and this makes me feel bad about my choices for the new hardware (MSI MB and be quiet power supply).
Any idea what could have went wrong? Shouldn't I have used the old SATA cables from my old computer? Any bios settings that could be the cause? Never had seen an UEFI bios before.

tl;dr:

Just bad luck. They are ridiculously old though at 7/8 years.

Currently have a Dell XPS 8910 but I'm planning on upgrading the case and PSU because it's only 460W, I swear it's having an impact on high performance games.

Not a fan of the mobo dell use so I might pick up a Z270 while I'm at it. How is this MSI board? Seems like a really good deal.

http://www.ebuyer.com/769859-msi-in...a-1151-atx-motherboard-z270-gaming-pro-carbon

It won't have any performance impact unless it's over heating. Use HWmonitor to check temperatures for CPU and GPU.

LilJoka

I'm getting anywhere between 60-110fps on High in Battlefield 1 with a GTX 1080.

Somethings gotta be going wrong right?

t7ploRb.png

99 variables to talk about there.
Use data to back up findings.
Get the temp data first.
Use MSI Afterburner to log the GPU clock speed to see if it's actually running full speed.

PSU and mobo aren't performance impacting components.

So Best Buy has some pretty solid deals going with SSDs.

I can get the San Disk Ultra II 480 GB SSD for 107.99

http://http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ultra-ii-480gb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive-black/1160024.p?loc=0&ref=8575135&acampID=cfa99976f4b711e68f1e6ac303b07ce40INT&skuId=1160024

or

I can get the Samsung EVO 850 500 GB SSD for $135

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-850-evo-500gb-internal-serial-ata-solid-state-drive-for-laptops-black/1662009.p?skuId=1662009

This is with the visa checkout thing. Is the San Disk the better buy?

So Best Buy has some pretty solid deals going with SSDs.

I can get the San Disk Ultra II 480 GB SSD for 107.99

http://http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ultra-ii-480gb-internal-sata-solid-state-drive-black/1160024.p?loc=0&ref=8575135&acampID=cfa99976f4b711e68f1e6ac303b07ce40INT&skuId=1160024

or

I can get the Samsung EVO 850 500 GB SSD for $135

http://http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-850-evo-500gb-internal-serial-ata-solid-state-drive-for-laptops-black/1662009.p?skuId=1662009

This is with the visa checkout thing. Is the San Disk the better buy?
850 EVO is better.

Jamaro85

tl;dr:

I killed a HD belonging to my brother in law a few months ago, and we're pretty sure it was due to using a PSU cable that did not belong to the PSU being used. I had two Corsairs that were different years of the same model, and even mixing those cables killed the HD. (I wasn't 100% sure this was the case but I've read of this happening for other people as well)

Anyway I'm guessing you probably didn't do something like that, so I wish I had a better answer for you. Having two HDs die at the same time seems like a strange coincidence, even if they are both relatively old and around the same age. Sorry that that had to happen.

Just bad luck. They are ridiculously old though at 7/8 years.
Yeah, I was surprised how old they are.
Checked the health of my remaining 2 TB HDD (almost 5 years old) with CrystalDiskInfo and it seems all right.
Of course I have no idea what the tool would have said about my two dead one's when they were still running.
I think I'll go and buy something like a WD Red 4 TB HDD to play aroud with the files I managed to save and then start on a NAS.

I killed a HD belonging to my brother in law a few months ago, and we're pretty sure it was due to using a PSU cable that did not belong to the PSU being used. I had two Corsairs that were different years of the same model, and even mixing those cables killed the HD. (I wasn't 100% sure this was the case but I've read of this happening for other people as well)

Anyway I'm guessing you probably didn't do something like that, so I wish I had a better answer for you. Having two HDs die at the same time seems like a strange coincidence, even if they are both relatively old and around the same age. Sorry that that had to happen.

I actually thought about reusing some of my old Enermax PSU cables, but the connectors didn't fit in the new PSU.
I DID use the old SATA mainboard cables though.
Now that I think about it, I think my first HDD died after closing the case, rebooting Win 10 and idling for a few mins. I had to press a bit on the PSU cable connected to the HDD since it was in the way of properly closing the case, so maybe that's how I killed this drive and the 2nd one hooked to the same cable (though the 3rd HDD also connected to that cable survived).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom