• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty is leaving Kinda Funny Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spades

lol it's funny to see Colin's Persecution complex extend to his fans. Nobody is burning you guys at the stake. If you want to defend him, be prepared to have your arguments challenged.

I'm not disputing that. But we're all "butt hurt" apparently. So that's not really challenging.

Jacce

Banned
What's most disturbing about this thread is how venomous people are towards people who actually like and support Colin. Like it's outrageously disgusting to have a different opinion than you.

Haven't different views is fine when they aren't harmful views.

Audioboxer

Some who may not have heard too much about Colin politically might be wondering what to expect on Rogan. You can watch Rubin, but it was a bit light on content, and there's this

ezRzh5Y.png

Someone did ask about weed earlier.

Two Words

The dumb thing about libertarianism is that there are things only a government do that not only improve our nation, but improve humanity. We would not be where we are today technologically if governments did not spend a lot of money in both making education more available and also investing into projects that directly or indirectly advance science and technology. What private company is going to replicate the mid-1900s space race that brought so many technological improvements today? Telecommunication and networking wouldn't be where it is today if governments never got involved and just left it exclusively to private companies.

So do the people that want governments to be extremely small, are they fine with living their lives with technology and medicine that is a century older than we have today?

Servbot24

Banned
Legalized prostitution...

I agree with that too.

In fact I agree with Colin about a lot of things. Most of it is not controversial. It's more the fact that he's an asshole about it and is constantly trying to offend people because he thinks that's somehow edgy or proving a deep point.

meanspartan

It blows my mind that someone this unremarkable and dull, with opinions so vapid, and with such a thin and marginal "career," could even have a following in the first place. The Internet's a weird place.

He's one of the best writers in the industry, hands down. Read his history of Naughty Dog, it's fantastic work. As we become more and more overrun with short clickbait articles, I miss writing like his a lot.

Gator86

Way to prove my point.

How though? The kinds of jokes in his tweet could definitely be categorized as hostile sexism. Many people are displeased by hostile sexism in the industry, and society overall. What you're saying is people should be more tolerant of jokes that contribute to a culture of hostile sexism and the people who make them. Although his joke was lazy garbage, language does affect norms and behaviors, in the aggregate, over time. You're asking people to be more welcoming to hostile sexism and negative comments toward women. You claim that not being accepting of those things is venemous and intolerant. That's the entire message from that meme - be tolerant of my intolerance

Some who may not have heard too much about Colin politically might be wondering what to expect on Rogan. You can watch Rubin, but it was a bit light on content, and there's this

ezRzh5Y.png

Someone did ask about weed earlier.

Words...

Anyone who would prefer Trump (even if he didn't vote for him) really can't be said to be that for any of those things.

Spades

You're asking people to be more welcoming to hostile sexism and negative comments toward women.

Colin spoke at great length in a Podcast before he made that Tweet about how refreshing it was to play a game with a strong female lead with absolutely no hidden agenda etc.

Yet, nobody talks about that. He's just a sexist pig.

meanspartan

Colin spoke at great length in a Podcast before he made that Tweet about how refreshing it was to play a game with a strong female lead with absolutely no hidden agenda etc.

Or the time he praised Hillary Clinton's nomination (despite hating her) as a huge moment for women in America.

However, I can see why people who don't follow him too much have such a negative impression of him, he doesn't do himself any favors lots of the time.

hodgy100

the only person i've seen call him a sexist pig is you.

pointing out that he is unintentionally letting sexist things slide in the industry is not saying he is sexist.

louiedog

I agree with that too.

In fact I agree with Colin about a lot of things. Most of it is not controversial. It's more the fact that he's an asshole about it and is constantly trying to offend people because he thinks that's somehow edgy or proving a deep point.

This is how I feel. I started following him on Twitter many years ago because I was looking for more games people to follow. I had no idea who he was and had never seen him on video before. But industry people I followed retweeted a few things he said that seemed alright. In fact, my twitter client at the time only showed his twitter name and not real name so when I eventually did see him on video for the first time I thought "who is this asshole?" because he was rudely trying to make some point and acting like he was the only smart person on the planet who got it. It turned out it was the same guy I stopped following because I kept thinking "why is this guy being such an asshole all the time?"

And this guy's alt-right according to many gaffers. FFS

There are plenty of GGers who claim to be "social liberals" when it comes to things like gay marriage, but hate SJWs who focus too much on feminism or racism.

Also Colin may not be alt right himself, but he seems to be way more worried about what a few Tumblr folks say than the disgusting crap his fanboys say on Twitter.

Finally, yes, Colin may have no problem with fake strong women in a game, but he sure seems to have an issue with strong RL woman criticizing him when he says sexist BS.

Sami+

Thisisneogaf.gif

I tried to speak up early on in this thread and got destroyed by the hive mind. Some people were even likening him to Hitler...

We should have some kind of spin-off site or chat so that people can talk positively about him without being challenged by liberal GAFfers... a "safe space", if you will. 🤔🤔

Gator86

People try to oversimplify things too much. "Is this person a racist???" Then we get into pointless conversations about what it means to be racist/sexist and who qualifies under what conditions. Praising Hillary doesn't inoculate him against doing sexist stuff later. Neither do some comments about liking some female leads. So many comments on here speculate about whether Colin is a "bad guy." Who gives a shit? What he truly has deep down in his heart or whatever goofy description people want to use is wholly immaterial. His comments on international women's day, diversity for diversity's sake, and all his other nonsense just work to marginalize already marginalized groups. That is not acceptable for many people and they respond accordingly.

Anyone with a "don't tread on me flag" profile picture needs to be looked at with a side-eye. It's amazing how people want you to tolerate their bigotry and not call them out on their bullshit. Oh well maybe their videos will be more tolerable now and maybe they can diversify their panel.

Servbot24

Banned
Welcome to current year, we've left rationality behind.

Rationality is not a simple thing. There are layers to everything, and you're ignoring many of them. In fact if you are basing your reactions on first impressions or what feels like common sense to you, it's almost a guarantee you're not being truly rational.

Lime

If he actually exhibited any of the things you mentioned, I'd be right there with you with my pitchfork. But I've followed him for years and none of that is accurate IMO.

As a liberal he often times sounds like a republican to me. Beyond the disdain I have for republican politics, I don't think he is a bad guy. On the contrary, I think he is a pretty good dude.

Republicans (but maybe not Colin) are racist, sexist, classist and imperialistic. The conservatives has moved so far to the right now.

In regards to Colin, no he's not alt-right or whatever you think people are criticizing him for, but read this and realize that he is saying some ignorant and frankly offensive statements that reinforce the status quo. His style is also that of a bully who abuses the victim and then in turn asks for the victim to empathize with him.

Seriously, read this:

. This is a man who writes definitively that ”I generally think safe spaces, microaggressions, and trigger warnings are ultimately destructive and entirely anti-intellectual" (Source). By stating ”safe spaces" and ”trigger warnings" are anti-intellectual he is attacking the victimised groups who these constructs serve to help and protect from further harm. The fact that ignyearbooke32013day3-9d7i1982jpg-e9364c_160wColin refuses to see that or acknowledge any perspective other than his own is terribly indicative of the industry's refusal to acknowledge perspectives other than the dominant straight, white, male one. So I've stopped supporting and started challenging.

He's quick to block anyone he doesn't like on Twitter, to the point where it's a running joke on Kinda Funny shows. While that's his right, it's a little ironic how a man who likes to take time on his shows to pull out a massive white board and make lists of the most easily offended people is so easily offended himself that he blocks hundreds of people he doesn't like. He creates his own ”safe space" as it were, the most ”anti-intellectual" of places, according to himself

He took to Twitter to whine about UC Berkley's protest of Milo Yiannopolous, saying how glad he was he got through college before the ”babies completed their hostile takeover of academia" (Source). He was quick to point out he wouldn't go to see Milo speak himself but simply doesn't understand why the liberal snowflakes would protest a man speaking at their school who is famous for his desire to put women into internment camps and ban safe spaces and trigger warnings- something Colin himself has advocated for.

He said in a recent video that ”People who are essentially grown up babies for trying to scrub anything ‘offensive' from video games, not to mention society at large, deserve much of the scorn that comes their way" (Source). His despise for those seeking to alter the predominantly sexist, racist tendencies of game development and challenge the status quo only serve to prove that he himself is a part of those issues, refusing to acknowledge other perspectives only to call them ”grown up babies."

Colin also came out and teased Colin Kaepernick, an African American SanFrancisco 49ers players, who was protesting the systemic issues of police violence against black Americans in the United States. Colin Kaepernick decided to protest by kneeling during the national anthem, an action that generated a massive discussion in the US around police violence. But Colin Moriarty showed his disdain for Mr. Kaepernick's action by likening him to a rebelling, immature child living with his mom. Moriarty, a man who constantly talks about his American pride and love of American history, completely dismissed Mr. Kaepernick's act of civilian protest and the way it could enact change in his country.

Colin was quick to jump on the outraged fans who were once again being discriminated against based on their sex. Colin wrote ”Mr. Hemingway didn't actually say anything offensive. People wanting to be offended are simply looking for anything to jump on, consequences for anyone and anything be damned" (Source). He completely ignores the complaints that people are making and never even bothers to actually talk to those most affected by Hemingway's statement. He instead quotes another straight white male writer, Jason Schreier, from Kotaku and uses his work to explain how if people keep getting offended by developer's comments then developers will stop sharing information, and what a tragedy.

Then you had his comments about Bolivia that's completely ignorant and prejudiced.

And then this response to a simple diplomatic question about having more diversity on his show:

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And this guy's alt-right according to many gaffers. FFS

More like he's becoming an idol of their's. They don't much care about his general beliefs as long as he's railing against the SJW's, political correctness and in general reacting to criticism with zeal and annoyance than just taking the criticism to heart or just apologizing and moving on. The alt right loves trolls who don't know when to stop or double and triple down on the things they've said even if ludicrous and offensive. He might not be alt right but he's cultivating an audience from them and has not actively done much about it and even seems to want to pander to them with a lot of his bull shit lately.

Servbot24

Banned
And then this response to a simple diplomatic question about having more diversity on his show:

He could have said "Because the industry is primarily white and male. Future CwR episode on that". But nope, he's gotta be prickly and dismissive.

Yeah there's some members here who just lumped him into that group because they disagree with him. It's ignorant and hypocritical but what are ya gonna do?

even though we have seen and posted examples of alt-right users on Twitter and other sections latching onto Colin and making him the loudest voice in the Kinda Funny room

but sure, we're the ignorant and hypocritical ones

Two Words

Republicans (but maybe not Colin) are racist, sexist, classist and imperialistic. The conservatives has moved so far to the right now.

In regards to Colin, no he's not alt-right or whatever you think people are criticizing him for, but read this and realize that he is saying some ignorant and frankly offensive statements that reinforce the status quo. His style is also that of a bully who abuses the victim and then in turn asks for the victim to empathize with him.

Seriously, read this:

Then you had his comments about Bolivia that's completely ignorant and prejudiced.

The "why only white people being interviewed" question was dumb, especially with how it was brought up. The guy was even asked who would he have preferred and responses with "someone". So even he does not have a non-white person in mind that he would like to see interviewed. People like that guy hurt the argument for diversity because they make weak arguments. It would have been far better to ask something like the following when it isn't directly countering a post about lined up interviews.

"Colin, do you have any women or people of color that you would like to interview? Personally, I'd like to see a little more diversity of representation if possible. Personally, I'd love to hear an interview with X"

Vinc

He could have said "Because the industry is primarily white and male. Future CwR episode on that". But nope, he's gotta be prickly and dismissive.

Yep. As is often the case, it's a tone issue.

It's the first I've heard of the Borderlands girlfriend mode comment, and I don't know how it was initially responded to by the guy who made the comment, but I'm of two minds about this. I think his comment was likely symptomatic of his own experiences, and a truly open-minded, moderate person would probably recognize that his comment exposes an issue that should be fixed, while simultaneously not throwing the guy under the bus. It's unlikely that the guy is actually openly sexist, but his comment did expose a lack of openness. I think the stereotype of the "girlfriend who isn't good at games" does exist, and it probably exists due to the fact that men at least used to play games more than women, which is something the industry is most likely interested in fixing. A proper response for that guy would be to calmly explain why his comment can be offensive. Responding with "MAN, PEOPLE ARE TOO SENSITIVE" or "THAT GUY IS A SEXIST ASSHOLE WHO SHOULD BE SHAMED" is unlikely to be productive. The problem is that Colin simultaneously says he realizes that, while making the same tone mistake over and over. Sigh...

Lothars

More like he's becoming an idol of their's. They don't much care about his general beliefs as long as he's railing against the SJW's, political correctness and in general reacting to criticism with zeal and annoyance than just taking the criticism to heart or just apologizing and moving on. The alt right loves trolls who don't know when to stop or double and triple down on the things they've said even if ludicrous and offensive. He might not be alt right but he's cultivating an audience from them and has not actively done much about it and even seems to want to pander to them with a lot of his bull shit lately.
Exactly but his defenders refuse to discuss that. They just want to pretend everyone is out to get him.

Yeah there's some members here who just lumped him into that group because they disagree with him. It's ignorant and hypocritical but what are ya gonna do?
So how are you defending him when he may not be alt right but the alt right latches on to him and he doesn't do anything to disuade them? How is that okay?

Mikey Jr.

I'd hardly say he "took a good portion of the audience with him" - Kinda Funny's Patreons are currently down about $4000 in total (roughly $2000 each) and still sitting in a pretty healthy spot.

Psily is essentially gone.

Colin was right is gone too.

These were 2 big shows on their channel.
Politics aside, Colin was a big presence in kinda funny.

Him gone I think is going to hurt them. Maybe not in the short term, but I think it's going to stunt their growth.

Dunno, we'll see.

APF

The problem is less that GAFers are irrational for saying he's alt-right (you can be wrong but not irrational), and more that what exactly "alt-right" means is somewhat amorphous to a lot of folks--including the alt-right. I don't think anyone compared him to Hitler though?

The "why only white people being interviewed" question was dumb, especially with how it was brought up. The guy was even asked who would he have preferred and responses with "someone". So even he does not have a non-white person in mind that he would like to see interviewed. People like that guy hurt the argument for diversity because they make weak arguments. It would have been far better to ask something like the following when it isn't directly countering a post about lined up interviews.

"Colin, do you have any women or people of color that you would like to interview? Personally, I'd like to see a little more diversity of representation if possible. Personally, I'd love to hear an interview with X"

And yet he responded to the question like a freaking child.

So changes nothing

Million ways to answer that question that don't dismiss the idea behind it and make yourself into the supposed victim.

Gator86

Oh, so you're saying he shouldn't try to pursue diversity for diversity's sake.

Seriously, read this:

"Diplomatic question" is one way to word it, considering everyone knows the backload of what the question means and the implications behind it. I don't blame Colin for getting pissed after lining up a weeks worth of content and people and then just getting such a lazy question like that.

And what exactly is prejudice and ignorant about listing off a state department report about the crime rates of Bolivia.

"Diplomatic question" is one way to word it, considering everyone knows the backload of what the question means and the implications behind it. I don't blame Colin for getting pissed after lining up a weeks worth of content and people and then just getting such a lazy question like that.

And what exactly is prejudice and ignorant about listing off a state department report about the crime rates of Bolivia.

He could have just ignored the question. There's no requirement to flip the fuck out and play the victim.

Lime

Moriarty supports the struggle of Black Americans, he just ridicules Colin Kaepernick for protesting

Moriarty supports women, he just makes sexist jokes on Women's Day

Moriarty supports diversity, he just only invite white men on his show

Moriarty cares about transpeople, he just complains about people protesting against professional harasser and transphobe

Moriarty cares about poor people, he just doesn't support policies that benefit the poor

Moriarty cares about removing safe spaces, he just blocks anyone who legitimately criticize him

Moriarty cares about native Americans, he just complains about them for 10 minutes straight when they write something about cultural appropriation

Moriarty cares about polite discourse, he just calls oppressed people humorless sacks of shit when they voice their displeasure with his humor

For all the things that Colin Moriarty claims he is, and all the defenders, moderates and supporters who claim similarly, I've yet to see something that supports this narrative of being in support of oppressed people. His actions speak louder than whatever things he claim to support.

He could have just ignored the question. There's no requirement to flip the fuck out and play the victim.

Why should he have ignored the question, why can't the question be called out for what it is.

Watching that Rubin Report interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxQbfn8cL-8) his comments on refugee cities and how we should 'support ICE' to 'arrest criminals'...

Regarding Trump, he doesn't like the messenger, but he likes the message. He is saying he agrees with all Trump's policies. His own words. Watch the interview.

There is nothing unreasonable for not fully supporting sanctuary cities (not refugee cities).

Moriarty supports the struggle of Black Americans, he just ridicules Colin Kaepernick for protesting

Moriarty cares about transpeople, he just complains about people protesting against professional harasser and transphobe

Moriarty cares about poor people, he just doesn't support policies that benefit the poor

Moriarty cares about safe spaces, he just blocks anyone who legitimately criticize him

Moriarty cares about native Americans, he just complains about them for 10 minutes straight when they write something about cultural appropriation

Moriarty cares about polite discourse, he just calls oppressed people humorless sacks of shit when they voice their displeasure with his humor

For all the things that Colin Moriarty claims he is, and all the defenders, moderates and supporters who claim similarly, I've yet to see something that doesn't go against this narrative of being in support of oppressed people. His actions speak louder than whatever things he claim to support.

This post paints a pretty clear picture.

So how are you defending him when he may not be alt right but the alt right latches on to him and he doesn't do anything to disuade them? How is that okay?
It's this classic excuse I have seen for Colin - always referred to as a really smart guy who is knowledgeable and great at research, except every time he gets caught saying ignorant shit or defending some piece of shit and then suddenly he didn't know it was offensive or hasn't heard about this front page news or he likes them for another reason.

I mean look at the list of people he followed on twitter as soon as he announced he was leaving kf, a bunch of racist, sexist pricks.

You Can't tell me Colin is smart then excuse him for following johntron a few days after he comes fully out as the racist shit he seemingly is, as if Colin doesn't know whats going on.

Add in all the examples given of him saying dodgy shit and it starts painting a picture. Either Colin isn't as smart and his actions aren't as inclusive as he likes to say he is, or he is and every shitty thing he has said/danced around is a true reflection of what he is like.

Cleve

It's funny, there was such an easy response here for this in "Yeah, I lined up some guys I know that have different ideas from me, I didn't think about how they're all white. That says something about the demographics of our industry, and my perspectives. I'll see if I can line up a poc to talk about that with on a future episode."

-nope, taking the offended response he's so fond of mocking of was the easier way out. The same is true of quite a few of his other statements. Having a little more self awareness would go a long way.

Jacce

Banned

Moriarty cares about safe spaces, he just blocks anyone who legitimately criticize him

For all the things that Colin Moriarty claims he is, and all the defenders, moderates and supporters who claim similarly, I've yet to see something that doesn't go against this narrative of being in support of oppressed people. His actions speak louder than whatever things he claim to support.
Boom.

Anyone who is in this thread defending Colin really needs to stop and re-asses their personal morals. You should not be defending a guy who spouts diet racism and sexism under the mask of "I am just a libertarian!"

Honestly he is arguing that because he sends postcards every year~ he's a good guy.

Why should he have ignored the question, why can't the question be called out for what it is.

There is nothing unreasonable for not fully supporting sanctuary cities (not refugee cities).

Yes, sanctuary cities. Sorry. Second language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom