• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty is leaving Kinda Funny Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrush64

Banned
How the hell this thread has 87 pages since yesterday and how the hell I've never heard about this guy or this Kinda Funny site?

Seriously this is me too. I know what kinda funny is but I dont follow them or pretty much any of these guys whose names i keep seeing in this thread.

I know that his piece about Mass Effect 3 and gamer entitlement pissed a lot of people off but, like...he wasn't wrong. It really wasn't until he got to Kinda Funny and started regularly espousing his political beliefs that things took a turn for the insufferable and it became clear that he couldn't practice the "don't generalize the other side" mantra he was preaching.

Also, "SJWs are good/bad" is such an empty, lazy, and pointless road of political discussion. Only ever leads to people being offended, whether it's SJWs getting offended or others being offended at the idea of SJWs getting offended.

Regarding the podcast, I don't see this as anything but whining about PC culture which has gotten somehow way more worse than the "Alt-right" and "Nazi" labeling people they complain about. Colin will never own up to the fact that he was trying to troll like some attention starved brat by posting political/"edgy" stuff on twitter (of all places which, as a business, you don't fucking want) and then whining that people had strong opinions about his politics/edgy content.

I'm sure he'll be fine tho, those anime and egg twitter accounts will no doubt be donating to his new Patreon show until he says something to piss them off.

As for Rogan, I really only know him from Bill Burr. I don't think he's alt-right, just more of a complete asshole on some subjects, if I can recall correctly, like Feminism and PC culture. I also don't think he's wrong for entertaining certain fuckbois on his podcast and he seems to be a more complicated person, but you never know. Never thought Jontron would be a psychopath talking about keeping the gene pool pure. :/

Cyclone

Why does it need to be based on anything? Why do you associate primitive tribes with POC?

It's fiction, they could have done anything. Or if they chose to use Native American imagery or language they could have coupled that with Native American representation

The game is not set in a primitive Native American time. It's about robots.

No one is limiting art. Criticism is not censorship.

Their story is about humans. If they want to show off a contrast between primitive peoples and high-tech robots, what does GG do? They're criticized if they show anyone! They chose a native theme. There is literally nothing wrong with that. If they chose an African tribal setting, there would be nothing wrong with that. Is they chose a primitive Viking setting, there would be nothing wrong with that. Critiquing the fact that they chose a native setting is attempting to limit art by saying nobody can ever do that.

And the game is full of Native people. And even if it wasn't, there's still no problem with that!

joshcam19

Not speaking about the tweet's morality or anything but I guess, despite how I or anyone else feels about his stances, he played this perfectly. It feels like he orchstrated this entire thing and timed it exactly right. He seemingly used his platform, company and friends to get exactly what he wanted, to be able to say anything and do anything without having to answer to anybody. It seems incredibly shady and planned out by him on his own but he played his hand perfectly. I think it will probably work out best for everyone but it's odd.

Kinda Funny will have a more unified vision now and he'll get to do what he wants to now in an ecosystem that he creates for himself.

Their story is about humans. If they want to show off a contrast between primitive peoples and high-tech robots, what does GG do? They're criticized if they show anyone! They chose a native theme. There is literally nothing wrong with that. If they chose an African tribal setting, there would be nothing wrong with that. Is they chose a primitive Viking setting, there would be nothing wrong with that. Critiquing the fact that they chose a native setting is attempting to limit art by saying nobody can ever do that.

And the game is full of Native people. And even if it wasn't, there's still no problem with that!

That isn't what critique means. You really need to look it up.

That's not even what the critique of the one critique of the game people are focusing on is about.

hao chi

I was really surprised reading this thread at how many people either hate or dislike Greg. Sure, he's high energy and can be crazy, but he's not hate worthy. While we only see part of his life, he seems genuinely like a kind, good person.

About that...

Though to be fair, my reaction to his attempt at dark comedy there is also likely influenced by the fact that I found him annoying before that "joke".

LionPride

Banned

THAT'S NOT EVEN WHAT THE FUCKING CRITIQUE IS ABOUT

You don't get to decide that there is nothing wrong with cultural appropriation, especially if it's not your culture. And continually saying that Navtive culture is primitive is also pretty fuckin gross dawg

They're not criticised if they show anyone. Also they don't HAVE to use real world cultures. This is a futuristic game featuring incredibly designed robots, are you suggesting that their imaginations are limited when it comes to humanity? You could more easily argue that using Native language and imagery in this futuristic setting is actually kinda lazy

Also that is not what critiquing does. It's not limiting to ask and challenge art to be better. It's actually the opposite

Joe Rogan's harmless, he's like that annoying dude at the party that sort of half-understands your profession/beliefs and really enthusiastically asks questions about it.

LionPride

Banned
You don't get to decide that there is nothing wrong with cultural appropriation, especially if it's not your culture. And continually saying that Navtive culture is primitive is also pretty fuckin gross dawg

They're not criticised if they show anyone. Also they don't HAVE to use real world cultures. This is a futuristic game featuring incredibly designed robots, are you suggesting that their imaginations are limited when it comes to humanity? You could more easily argue that using Native language and imagery in this futuristic setting is actually kinda lazy

Also that is not what critiquing does. It's not limiting to ask and challenge art to be better. It's actually the opposite

They just sayin shit now

APF

Criticising artistic and creative decisions is not "limiting art," it's just criticism. It stands on its own and you can either accept it or not (it's called "discussion"). If however it were somehow considered censorship, then so too would be criticising that criticism, since again it stands as its own expressive work.

besada

Banned
How the hell this thread has 87 pages since yesterday and how the hell I've never heard about this guy or this Kinda Funny site?

In part because it's full of people asking how it's so long, rather than bothering to read it. If you don't have anything to contribute, don't post.

Criticism is not censorship... she has no power to censor your video games...

You can't say games are art and then decry criticism as censorship...

You don't get to have the importance of art and none of the responsibility of taking criticism that comes with it.

So games are either art with criticism or they're simply toys and games will the level of respect that comes with that designation. Though even toys get criticized sooo.

Joe Rogan's harmless, he's like that annoying dude at the party that sort of half-understands your profession/beliefs and really enthusiastically asks questions about it.

Indeed, he sure ain't alt-right. Not to mention his beliefs / opinions change constantly on the fly.

50% of the time I find myself agreeing with stuff Rogan says, then 50% of the time its hardcore the exact opposite, but regardless I LOVE his podcast. The range of guests / topics he has on there is 2nd to none on the entire internet. He literally gets people from every circle / profession / beliefs on there.

Frankly I can't fucking wait to hear Colin on Rogan Experience, but I can assure you a ton of people on GAF are gonna get really pissed at a lot of the discussion in that episode. Rogan is going to be very much on Colin's side over all of this.

Regardless that's an enormous platform. Something like 60 million people a month listen to the Joe Rogan Experience in one way or another each month. He's got one of the biggest podcasts in the entire world

Cyclone

I never said native culture is primitive. I'm talking about primitive times. Guerilla wanted to make a story contrasting a primitive era with a futuristic one. ie, arrows vs machines. They could have done it in any culture/time. They chose a native one.

If they chose a central African theme surrounding chiefs they would have been criticized. A desert Arabian theme surrounding Bedouins they would have been criticized.

They have to show primitive times. That's the whole point of the story. Civilization going back to arrows and spears. They can't just make one up. The entire story is about humans.

TheYanger

I never said native culture is primitive. I'm talking about primitive times. Guerilla wanted to make a story contrasting a primitive era with a futuristic one. ie, arrows vs machines. They could have done it in any culture/time. They chose a native one.

If they chose a central African theme surrounding chiefs they would have been criticized. A desert Arabian theme surrounding Bedouins they would have been criticized.

They have to show primitive times. That's the whole point of the story. Civilization going back to arrows and spears. They can't just make one up. The entire story is about humans.

"Primitive times" = fucking cavemen, not native people that ARE STILL ALIVE TODAY. Are you fuckiung kidding me?

Oh fuck me, now we are getting into the First Nations = savages arguments?

If Cyclone had his way, Residential schools would still be in place for Canada's First Nations.

Cyclone

"Primitive times" = fucking cavemen, not native people that ARE STILL ALIVE TODAY. Are you fuckiung kidding me?

For God's sake... primitive by that I mean times with spears and arrows. Every culture had those times. I don't mean their dress is primitive, or their language is primitive. I mean the weaponry, the campfires, etc. People are looking to be offended.

Look, labelling Native American culture as primitive is not a good thing to do. Native Americans aren't some ancient peoples long gone from the earth, them and their culture is still very much alive today

Also what do you mean they can't just make one up. Of course they can. What kind of argument even is that? It's like saying there can't be black people in high fantasy because it's based on Europe. It's fiction, there are no rules

People are looking to be offended.
You can't just label people as wanting to be offended for having legitimate criticism about the shit you're saying

If only there was an example of this that's relevant to the topic of this thread 🤔🤔

I get what Cyclone means. It may not be the best way to phrase it, but frankly Native American tribes did live a very bare bones technology wise life. In many ways it wasn't hugely far removed from those of ancient times. I don't believe he's trying to state they are "primitive" as in lesser, worse, not as intelligent, etc. He is saying on a technological scale their technology was fairly rudimentary. Which is a 100% accurate statement. That doesn't make them any lesser as humans or people, but to deny that, is to deny historical truth.

I say this as someone who is 1/4 Cherokee

Edit - though to add to this, I'm not sure how we even got on this topic lol

Cyclone

Yeah, I'm quoting you dawg

I literally said I'm not talking about their culture as in their clothes and their food. I mean the level of tech. Which I've now mentioned a dozen times to you: high tech vs low tech.

I get what Cyclone means. It may not be the best way to phrase it, but frankly Native American tribes did live a very bare bones technology wise life. In many ways it wasn't hugely far removed from those of ancient times. I don't believe he's trying to state they are "primitive" as in lesser, worse, not as intelligent, etc. He is saying on a technological scale their technology was fairly rudimentary. Which is a 100% accurate statement. That doesn't make them any lesser as humans or people, but to deny that, is to deny historical truth.

The fact that this needs to be clarified... I guess it's easier to believe I'm some raging racist psychopath.

Damn, good on ya! The wonders of podcasts. I don't know if you knew who she was or just randomly listened too. She's just a great orator and gives you confidence she knows her stuff with diet and general health.

Sometimes listening is a lot easier to take in than trying to read pages of advice. Chalk this up to one of the times where Joe's actual knowledge lined up with a guest for an educational listen! As I've already admitted a ton of the time Joe is out of his depth and firing off what are most likely high "hot takes". Sometimes though he knows what he is saying.

what lady are you guys talking about? i'm interested

I literally said I'm not talking about their culture as in their clothes and their food. I mean the level of tech. Which I've now mentioned a dozen times to you: high tech vs low tech.
Okay? So why does that level of weaponary and technology need to be tied to Native American culture. It's not like you see Tomb Raider and think "now, where did that bow come from?" That level of technology stands on its own, if it was just about the tech then the Native American-ness of it is superfluous
The fact that this needs to be clarified... I guess it's easier to believe I'm some raging racist psychopath.
No one is claiming you're a raging racist psychopath, you've just repeatedly used primitive culture in regards to an argument amount Native American appropriation. I understand your point now that you've clarified, but it's still not good

Cyclone

Okay? So why does that level of weaponary and technology need to be tied to Native American culture. It's not like you see Tomb Raider and think "now, where did that bow come from?" That level of technology stands on its own, if it was just about the tech then the Native American-ness of it is superfluous

Yeah exactly. That's what I'm saying. They just set it during one of very many times with generally low tech. They had one of many times to choose from. I think they chose a Native theme because of the clothes and wear, and the architecture. It looks awesome in-game. They could have set it in a million places.

I think people have a problem with 'low tech' = lesser human as Obliterator said. Low tech = low tech. We're talking about history here, not the level of humanity of Natives.

Yeah exactly. That's what I'm saying. They just set it during one of very many times with generally low tech. They had one of many times to choose from. I think they chose a Native theme because of the clothes and wear, and the architecture. It looks awesome in-game. They could have set it in a million places.
But you don't NEED to choose from a time, they chose to appropriate that culture to display an idea of tribalism. No one is going to look at a bow and a spear and be confused without cultural context, but they still chose to use that anyway. I agree that it looks cool, and I'm not even strictly against its use in this game, but that doesn't mean that it's above the criticism that it received

Cyclone

No one is claiming you're a raging racist psychopath, you've just repeatedly used primitive culture in regards to an argument amount Native American appropriation. I understand your point now that you've clarified, but it's still not good

You know what I could see where that came from, you're right. I apologize. Should have clarified clearly.

Cyclone

But you don't NEED to choose from a time, they chose to appropriate that culture to display an idea of tribalism. No one is going to look at a bow and a spear and be confused without cultural context, but they still chose to use that anyway. I agree that it looks cool, and I'm not even strictly against its use in this game, but that doesn't mean that it's above the criticism that it received

But that time existed. What is there to appropriate? Natives did at one time live like that, had very low tech. That's a historical reality, no? Where I am from the same thing happened and if they chose to do it then, what's the issue? It's a historical reality.

Colin on Rogan will be a good listen, though I do hope it's a little more than just PC culture/the joke.

More than likely, that will be the majority of the conversation. Rogan isn't alt-right, but he also has zero sympathy / tolerance for what he perceives as "SJW's". That's why I expect this particular interview will angry quite a few people on GAF, given Rogan and Colin are on the same page for sure when it comes to that. That's going to be their meeting / agreeing point and the conversation will flesh out from there.

I'm really looking forward to it though. Rogan even though he plays softball, and often is a chameleon and agrees with most of what his guests say in order to make them comfortable / have good conversation, can really bring out a lot in people on the podcast and you can learn a ton. It'll really be interesting to see Colin in that setting.

karasu

Why does a guy who doesn't like the public or lots of attention leave his own show to be a guest on a more popular show? lol So weird.

Why does a guy who doesn't like the public or lots of attention leave his own show to be a guest on a more popular show? lol So weird.

He's unchained to talk whatever bs he wants without affecting his bottom line.. well he already harmed the KF brand and took a good portion of the audience with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom