• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty is leaving Kinda Funny Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator86

Kaepernick is an idiot though, I'd ridicule that guy too.

0868_48fc.gif

Moriarty supports the struggle of Black Americans, he just ridicules Colin Kaepernick for protesting

Moriarty supports women, he just makes sexist jokes on Women's Day

Moriarty supports diversity, he just only invite white men on his show

Moriarty cares about transpeople, he just complains about people protesting against professional harasser and transphobe

Moriarty cares about poor people, he just doesn't support policies that benefit the poor

Moriarty cares about removing safe spaces, he just blocks anyone who legitimately criticize him

Moriarty cares about native Americans, he just complains about them for 10 minutes straight when they write something about cultural appropriation

Moriarty cares about polite discourse, he just calls oppressed people humorless sacks of shit when they voice their displeasure with his humor

For all the things that Colin Moriarty claims he is, and all the defenders, moderates and supporters who claim similarly, I've yet to see something that supports this narrative of being in support of oppressed people. His actions speak louder than whatever things he claim to support.

Moriarty cares about minorities. But he'd vote for Trump over Hillary.

Thorrgal

Moriarty supports the struggle of Black Americans, he just ridicules Colin Kaepernick for protesting

Moriarty supports women, he just makes sexist jokes on Women's Day

Moriarty supports diversity, he just only invite white men on his show

Moriarty cares about transpeople, he just complains about people protesting against professional harasser and transphobe

Moriarty cares about poor people, he just doesn't support policies that benefit the poor

Moriarty cares about removing safe spaces, he just blocks anyone who legitimately criticize him

Moriarty cares about native Americans, he just complains about them for 10 minutes straight when they write something about cultural appropriation

Moriarty cares about polite discourse, he just calls oppressed people humorless sacks of shit when they voice their displeasure with his humor

For all the things that Colin Moriarty claims he is, and all the defenders, moderates and supporters who claim similarly, I've yet to see something that supports this narrative of being in support of oppressed people. His actions speak louder than whatever things he claim to support.

He is not the man he'd like to be...but who is? :p

even though we have seen and posted examples of alt-right users on Twitter and other sections latching onto Colin and making him the loudest voice in the Kinda Funny room

but sure, we're the ignorant and hypocritical ones

That's a pretty low evidentiary bar. If someone holds alt-right views, I would think it would be easy to find statements from that person that indicate as much. Instead, "look who they follow/who follows them on twitter" is sufficient for some people.

More like he's becoming an idol of their's. They don't much care about his general beliefs as long as he's railing against the SJW's, political correctness and in general reacting to criticism with zeal and annoyance than just taking the criticism to heart or just apologizing and moving on. The alt right loves trolls who don't know when to stop or double and triple down on the things they've said even if ludicrous and offensive. He might not be alt right but he's cultivating an audience from them and has not actively done much about it and even seems to want to pander to them with a lot of his bull shit lately.

This assumes quite a bit beyond the ideological inflection point, which is whatever Moriarty said or did that generated said criticism. With Moriarty, if he finds no fault with his words or behavior at issue, there is no criticism to take to heart.

This is not particular to him or any ideology. For instance, there are several examples in this thread of people taking issue with insults directed at Moriarty, and the response has been doubling down. However, that is not likely to be categorized as trolling by you or those who originally posted the insults because there was no unjustified behavior being critiqued. Rather, people taking issue with the insults are simply wrongheaded or ignorant for not seeing the broader context of why those insults are being hurled in the first place.

So, this very human reaction plays out the same but appears very different across the ideological aisle. If you don't fundamentally agree with the propriety of certain words or behaviors, then you are going to perceive doubling down as more evidence of ignorance or malice as opposed to rational justification.

Nabs

I like how the amount of good Kaepernick has done over the last 6 months gets overshadowed by him not voting in California.

Gator86

I like how the amount of good Kaepernick has done over the last 6 months gets overshadowed by him not voting in California.

It's almost as if the dislike of him is driven by something else entirely. Hmmmm, I wonder what it could be...

Why should he have ignored the question, why can't the question be called out for what it is.

There is nothing unreasonable for not fully supporting sanctuary cities (not refugee cities).

Let's actually post the entire conversation because it is much worse for him in full context...

https://mobile.twitter.com/LastGeeksDying/status/838507857448337408
https://mobile.twitter.com/notaxation/status/838529033117655041

And then he drops out and his fans show up to call her racist, claim Colin didn’t get any minorities on his show because there just aren't minoritied who are as successful as those guys, praise Colin for not seeing race.., and then said what good is diversity for diversity sake (where have we heard that before?)

And then this response to a simple diplomatic question about having more diversity on his show:
That question is stupid as fuck though, it's not really simple considering its connotations. But you know that it isn't, and you understand exactly what the guy implied with it. It reminds me of comedians in cars where Jerry spends his time asking his friends to drink coffee and shoot the shit turned into a racial issue by all the people that don't even watch the show.

If Colin had interviewed 5 black guys or women and someone would have asked why are there only black guys/women you're interviewing? Yeah, it's around the same level of stupidity.

i just watched a Boogie2988's video where he kinda defends the guy (and JonTron). He calls for hugs and kisses all around, the usual "let's meet in the middle" kind of weaksauce opinion piece (For what it's worth, it seemed an heartfelt and sincere defense of some colleagues).

But then I thought to myself: "Who the fuck are we even talking about?", when we spend so much time on Moriarty, JonTron and the rest of the bunch?

And the answer is: a big pile of nothingness. Zip. Nada. Absolute Zero.
These people don't count for nothing except in this very very niche part of the gaming internet. They are literally unimportant persons talking shit out of their asses. We are losing our time here.

We should just stop even considering them, because they are clearly inspired and feed on this kind of negative response, and then they even play the victim on that.

Jacce

Banned
It's almost as if the dislike of him is driven by something else entirely. Hmmmm, I wonder what it could be...

A good way to know whether someone has racists views is if they got mad/annoyed about black athletes like him kneeling for Black Lives Matter.

Racists rarely will admit they are, but that is a pretty damn easy siren to know if someone judges people on race and has a warped view of race relationships.

Roni

Gold Member
Then how is he great at handling criticism? I mean, that's how he handled it.

He handled it in various actions. One of them was not engaging in a true discussion about it - maybe out of a feeling that doing so would be ridiculous, since he's entitled to joke about whatever he wants. This I'm 100% behind.

Another one was insulting someone who, instead of taking the joke for what it was, decided to take it as a statement from the heart and attack him for it. Since I've previously established being offended by a joke is stupid, he insulted them for he might have himself perceived it as stupid. Might not have been how I would've handled it personally, but I can see where he's coming from and won't deny it's a valid option to handle stupid.

Humans sometimes do that when they come across stupid, we've been doing it to each other in this thread for a while now.

I'm aware you didn't. That's why I brought it up as a question. You seem to be about as good at this "open dialogue" thing as your hero Colin.

See above.

And this guy's alt-right according to many gaffers. FFS

For a lot of gaffers, if you're not on board with the most doctrinaire version of postmodern neomarxist liberalism, well, then you're alt-right.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. I actually really enjoy engaging people with whom I disagree, so GAF is a lot of fun for me.

Alucrid

Banned
i just watched a Boogie2988's video where he kinda defends the guy (and JonTron). He calls for hugs and kisses all around, the usual "let's meet in the middle" kind of weaksauce opinion piece (For what it's worth, it seemed an heartfelt and sincere defense of some colleagues).

But then I thought to myself: "Who the fuck are we even talking about?", when we spend so much time on Moriarty, JonTron and the rest of the bunch?

And the answer is: a big pile of nothingness. Zip. Nada. Absolute Zero.
These people don't count for nothing except in this very very niche part of the gaming internet. They are literally unimportant persons talking shit out of their asses. We are losing our time here.

We should just stop even considering them, because they are clearly inspired and feed on this kind of negative response, and then they even play the victim on that.

it would be nice if they didn't matter

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352710

"I recently visited my girlfriend's aunt, uncle and her nephews - the kids are the only ones who play video games in their whole family so I have a pretty good rapport with them. We're sitting there chatting about stupid little kid stuff (they're 9 and 11) and they start talking about bashing Jews and laughing about Hitler. I tell them no that's obviously not something to joke about and do they know who Hitler was, and who did you hear this from, yadda yadda.

They've learned all this stupidity from these dumb fucking youtube minecraft streamers and repeat it mindlessly. They (edit: meaning the kids) obviously have no idea how offensive they were being. We talked about it and I think (hope?) they have a better idea, but think about how many children are out here learning all this horrible shit like it's normal."

but maybe they do

jbttwin

Let's actually post the entire conversation because it is much worse for him in full context...

https://mobile.twitter.com/LastGeeksDying/status/838507857448337408
https://mobile.twitter.com/notaxation/status/838529033117655041

And then he drops out and his fans show up to call her racist, claim Colin didn't get any minorities on his show because there just aren't minoritied who are as successful as those guys, praise Colin for not caring about colour/etc..., and then said what good is diversity for diversity sake (where have we heard that before?)

This is painful. I can't roll my eyes enough everytime someone like Colin says some shit like "I don't see color/sexual orientation/gender/etc..."

it would be nice if they didn't matter.

I know what you mean, but here we are literally talking about him because he decided to change jobs. A 90 page thread talking about literally nothing. We should react and fight the racism when it happens, and ignore the racist when it seeks for attention.

Gator86

This is painful. I can't roll my eyes enough everytime someone like Colin says some shit like "I don't see color/sexual orientation/gender/etc..."

It's certainly not like there's entire bodies of research on the benefits of diversity on a range of outcomes and the deleterious effects of color-blindness. Colin seems comically undereducated on those issues with opinions driven entirely by ideology and feels.

And this guy's alt-right according to many gaffers. FFS

Weird how a bunch of people have commented on how GAF's a hive-mind that dilutes terms by labelling poor victims who don't deserve them. Yet hardly anybody has tried to call Colin alt-right outside of a few pointing out him supporting people in the alt-right?

The majority of people say that Colin adopts a lot of alt-right positions ,e.g. going against safe spaces, and has fostered an alt-right fanbase that he's never tried to distance himself from as long as they're giving him praise.

SCB3

And then he drops out and his fans show up to call her racist, claim Colin didn’t get any minorities on his show because there just aren't minoritied who are as successful as those guys, praise Colin for not seeing race.., and then said what good is diversity for diversity sake (where have we heard that before?)

What's the actual problem here? He lined up prominent people in the gaming industry to interview, they just also happen to be white men, why should he cater to people just because of the color of their skin or gender, that's ridiculous and possibly more racist. In fact, you could even argue that its discrimination towards white men as being "Not good Enough" or "Not diverse enough", people should all be treated fairly and be recognised for their own personal opinions, not because of gender or the color of their skin.

That's what he was saying

But you said he could have just ignored the original question outright, which would be dismissing it but with silence instead of objecting to the question.

Well if he can't respond with anything that isn't childish nonsense then yeah...

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt and all that stuff.

What's the actual problem here? He lined up prominent people in the gaming industry to interview, they just also happen to be white men, why should he cater to people just because of the color of their skin or gender, that's ridiculous and possibly more racist. In fact, you could even argue that its discrimination towards white men as being "Not good Enough" or "Not diverse enough", people should all be treated fairly and be recognised for their own personal opinions, not because of gender or the color of their skin.

Asking for racial diversity is not racist

Criticism of a lack of racial diversity is not discrimination against white men...

What's the actual problem here? He lined up prominent people in the gaming industry to interview, they just also happen to be white men, why should he cater to people just because of the color of their skin or gender?

Because if any grouping of individuals doesn't perfectly reflect an exact percentile cross section of the gender, racial and sexual orientation makeup of the larger population -- well, then it is automatically illegitimate.

SCB3

Asking for racial diversity is not racist
Criticism of a lack of racial diversity is not discrimination against white men...

but how the questions are asked is how it matters, I'm all for diversity, they're should be more in all business, but the unfortunate thing is, these guys interviewed were all white men, but they are all prominent in the industry, it was making a massive issue over a minor coincidence

but how the questions are asked is how it matters, I'm all for diversity, they're should be more in all business, but the unfortunate thing is, these guys interviewed were all white men, but they are all prominent in the industry, it was making a massive issue over a minor coincidence
You'd have to be incredibly thin skinned to be offended by that question

Lime

This is the exact issue that is so frustrating. Simply asking for more diversity in various manners is considered offensive and hurts the white dominant people being asked about it. Just posing the question is considered a "massive issue". And instead of doing something about it, people in power like Moriarty take offense at the question and instead just continues to invite white men.

And the reason why us white people take so much offense at a mere request for more diversity is because we're special snowflakes. And we're so fragile that we'd rather turn violent and embrace racist ideology than to take action and have different identities on board. Slayven put it best:

Kaeprnick is the perfect example. Most passive form of protest and suddenly it is an attack on the military and veterans, still can't figure how

You'd have to be incredibly thin skinned to be offended by that question

Exactly.

Yeah but the question wasn't a racist question nor is the call for diversity discrimination against white men.

And a waybto answer that question isn't to accuse the questioner of calling you a fascist and then rail against identity politics and claim you don't see race like a bloody child.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Perhaps as thin skinned as you'd have to be to be offended by a joke?

For the billionth time it wasn't just about the joke. Some of you guys think you're real clever every time you bring it back up but it's just playing a broken record at this point.

Eylos

Banned

holy fuck this thread is now in reverse racism

Lime

Yes, asking to use your position for more diversity on your show that only features white dudes is exactly the same as telling a sexist joke on Women's Day in a culture that is known for its misogyny.

Gator86

Once you're arguing about discrimination toward white men, you've lost the plot entirely. Please read literally any piece of academic, rigorous research looking at the pervasive effects of race and gender in the workplace. White men are advantaged in almost every way in most contexts. It's nice to want everyone to be treated fairly, but that would actually entail treating white men like everyone else (i.e., worse) and I highly​ doubt you want white men to lose their privilege.

This is the road you want to go down?

Askimg about a lack of diversity is the same thing as a sexist joke on International Women's Day using the activist hashtag created to fight for women's rights against the rising threat of the Trump administration and other right wing reactionary parties around the globe...

Roni

Gold Member
This is the road you want to go down?

Askimg about a lack of diversity is the same thing as a sexist joke on International Women's Day using the activist hashtag created to fight for women's rights against the rising threat of the Trump administration and other right wing reactionary parties around the globe...

I haven't said anything about asking or making the joke in this particular case. I'm specifically talking about being offended by both those things.

It's equally ridiculous in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom