• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Mafia |OT| Sometimes You Don't Need A Reason to Lynch Your Friends

fran, tbh, of all the reasons to press Zubz, picking up with that again is so nitpicky. Cewyn had in fact stopped posting.

How about we remind him he promised to explain his behavior if he lived through the night?

Zubz

Banned
Good on the OMGUS. That's your second.

I would love to hear a good explanation for the vote. Do you think I bused Cewyn?

Absolutely. I'll give more coherent thoughts later, but you were making it very clear you were trying to bait me into voting for Cewyn at a time where you could easily away the vote between me & him due to the tie situation going on there.

My guess is you realized that my "gambit" meant I had to be a power role & wanted me dead D1. To minimize risk/give yourself an easier D2, you tried to tie me to someone you ironically knew was scum but wasn't worth saving due to inactivity... Which is hilarious (I'm sorry to hear you had a bad weekend, though, Cewyn!). But I really don't think your plan's working, outside of the obvious "waste everyone's time & take up voting space" deal.

With the two flips we have and reports of an arsonist, I'm guessing you're not alone in a PR, Zubz, so why "claim" by pulling a distracting gambit at all?

I mean this:

We talked a bit about this. This is info only someone who has a private chat with Cewyn can know. Cewyn was scum. Do the math.

Also reread the last vote. He dragged the vote until the last second, when Cewyn's lynch was a done deal. He could have voted for him before to save himself but he went for No Lynch.

Honestly I interpreted that as a response to Cewyn posting very little.

franconp

fran, tbh, of all the reasons to press Zubz, picking up with that again is so nitpicky. Cewyn had in fact stopped posting.

How about we remind him he promised to explain his behavior if he lived through the night?

It was also nitpicky when I pushed for Cewyn lynch but I don't see anyone complaining now.

And just for the record: As people who has played with me knows, whenever I think I have found a lead I don't drop it. At all. I will push for this until everyone is bored with me and just either do it so I won't bother anymore or lynch me.

Absolutely. I'll give more coherent thoughts later, but you were making it very clear you were trying to bait me into voting for Cewyn at a time where you could easily away the vote between me & him due to the tie situation going on there.

My guess is you realized that my "gambit" meant I had to be a power role & wanted me dead D1. To minimize risk/give yourself an easier D2, you tried to tie me to someone you ironically knew was scum but wasn't worth saving due to inactivity... Which is hilarious (I'm sorry to hear you had a bad weekend, though, Cewyn!). But I really don't think your plan's working, outside of the obvious "waste everyone's time & take up voting space" deal.

Lol.

So your big idea is that I throw a scum player completly under the bus (remember he had zero heat on him until I began with my push) just to lynch you? In case you have a PR?

You know that if I were scum could just waited until Cewyn was replaced to get a more cooperative player? Or that I could have just NK you and not lose one of my partners?

Your narrative has more holes than a Gruyere cheese. Try harder.

franconp

Honestly I interpreted that as a response to Cewyn posting very little.

Because someone post very little it doesn't means that they will be replaced. There is a process. Cewyn still had 6 hours to make 6 post, so plenty of time. Even if he didn't made it he would just be proded. He could answer the prod and not get replaced.

Zubz took the replacing as a done deal. Most likely Cewyn posted in the scum chat that he couldn't keep up and would ask for a replacement. It's pretty common. Zubz thought that it was also anounced in the main thread and made a mistake.

I had no idea there were so many power roles until now is a decent part of it...
So you took a shot in the dark and maybe put a PR at risk if you're town and now you're being shifty and we're supposed to be like oh, cool, wtg, don't bother doing what you said you'd do?

Surprise, not cool with it.

Explain.

Darn it.

Zubz

I'm riding this bus with fran.

By the way, this game feels more mad than the pineapple one. Hint hint. Hint.

Uh yeah this looks a little role heavy so far, considering the roles that probably exist around the roles we know. I had a guess it would be if there was no flavor but there was no way to know.

Fat4all

Banned
I figured it was obvious that there'd be a decent amount of power roles because of CrimsonFist description of "not quite bastard"

even one step below bastard, it can get pretty fucky.

Zubz

Banned
Darn it.

Zubz

I'm riding this bus with fran.

By the way, this game feels more mad than the pineapple one. Hint hint. Hint.

If you need help voting for me, put the "Vote:" first. Granted, if you're really "riding this bus with fran" (Sweet merciful heck, did this Moist Boy just say "bus?" That's clearly a slip-up worthy of monopolizing our discussion!), then this seems even more reckless. At least he's wasting time with discussion.

Because someone post very little it doesn't means that they will be replaced. There is a process. Cewyn still had 6 hours to make 6 post, so plenty of time. Even if he didn't made it he would just be proded. He could answer the prod and not get replaced.

Zubz took the replacing as a done deal. Most likely Cewyn posted in the scum chat that he couldn't keep up and would ask for a replacement. It's pretty common. Zubz thought that it was also anounced in the main thread and made a mistake.

That's a fair point. I'd be on board with a Zubz lynch I suppose.

If you need help voting for me, put the "Vote:" first. Granted, if you're really "riding this bus with fran" (Sweet merciful heck, did this Moist Boy just say "bus?" That's clearly a slip-up worthy of monopolizing our discussion!), then this seems even more reckless. At least he's wasting time with discussion.
Well we might all fit in a van but I like the bus more.

rac

Banned
zubz wording lead to the cewyn lynch

so cewyn's flip has to lead to zubz lynch, right?

then if zubz flips scum we should look at whoever was suspicious of fran d1

Okay. I went to bed before the first day end, before the switch to Cewyn. That whole affair has thusly left me totally befuddled. The first day, when I went to bed, looked like it was going to fall on lynching Zubz.

We had no reason to lynch Cewyn, but they turned out to be Mafia anyways. So here's my theory. Zubz is Mafia. Cewyn was a sacrificial lamb to try and make us all forget about Zubz, or to let Zubz survive another night so he could make an action.

Vote: Zubz.

franconp

zubz wording lead to the cewyn lynch

so cewyn's flip has to lead to zubz lynch, right?

then if zubz flips scum we should look at whoever was suspicious of fran d1

More than looking after who was suspicious of me I would look after who tried to avoid the Cewyn lynch. And his link with Zubz.

Okay. I went to bed before the first day end, before the switch to Cewyn. That whole affair has thusly left me totally befuddled. The first day, when I went to bed, looked like it was going to fall on lynching Zubz.

We had no reason to lynch Cewyn, but they turned out to be Mafia anyways. So here's my theory. Zubz is Mafia. Cewyn was a sacrificial lamb to try and make us all forget about Zubz, or to let Zubz survive another night so he could make an action.

Vote: Zubz.

We had a reason to lynch Cewyn. Most don't like it but the reason existed. And most likely Zubz made a mistake. Scum makes them.

Also, even if there is a reason, I still feel like the voting was to shift attention away from lynching Zubz, which leaves him suspicious either way.

Fat4all

Banned
Oh, okay. Can you explain this to me? I must have missed it. There was a lot to read.

It's the assumption that Zubz 'mistake' was less of a mistake and more of a slip. That is to say, that cewyn might of discussed in scum chat that they would likely sub out, and Zubz stated so in normal chat accidentally.

Honestly, it could go either way. Zubz might just be very unlucky in this situation.

Also, even if there is a reason, I still feel like the voting was to shift attention away from lynching Zubz, which leaves him suspicious either way.

don't quite follow you, what did you mean here?

It's the assumption that Zubz 'mistake' was less of a mistake and more of a slip. That is to say, that cewyn might of discussed in scum chat that they would likely sub out, and Zubz stated so in normal chat accidentally.

Honestly, it could go either way. Zubz might just be very unlucky in this situation.

Oho. The plot thickens.

don't quite follow you, what did you mean here?

I meant, like. Maybe Zubz has a valuable role that scum couldn't let be lynched on day one before a night action.

Fat4all

Banned
I meant, like. Maybe Zubz has a valuable role that scum couldn't let be lynched on day one before a night action.

I don't believe so, as shifting their eventual vote to cewyn still has them on the hot seat in a ways.

Also, if Zubz had a very crucial scum ability, I doubt they would of pulled their weird day-one 'I didn't read my role PM' gambit.

I don't believe so, as shifting their eventual vote to cewyn still has them on the hot seat in a ways.

Also, if Zubz had a very crucial scum ability, I doubt they would of pulled their weird day-one 'I didn't read my role PM' gambit.

I have a theory that the gambit was designed to elicit that reaction, though. But you're right. They're playing very sloppily, so I'm not entirely sure. It could just be that it wasn't very well thought out, and he's not actually playing 4D chess.

Fat4all

Banned
wanna know how I play mafia?

Best+gif_674135_5247806.gif

franconp

Oh, okay. Can you explain this to me? I must have missed it. There was a lot to read.

For the tenth time already:

I'd feel bad voting for a new player, but it seems Cewyn's just dropped out, & Scum is Scum.

That post. Here I gave my theory for the third or forth time:

We talked a bit about this. This is info only someone who has a private chat with Cewyn can know. Cewyn was scum. Do the math.

I don't think so because Cewyn being scum makes that theory even more likely. That's why I said that we should be wary of anyone who tried to stir the votes and create another possible targets.

Zubz

Banned
I have a theory that the gambit was designed to elicit that reaction, though. But you're right. They're playing very sloppily, so I'm not entirely sure. It could just be that it wasn't very well thought out, and he's not actually playing 4D chess.

I mean, I'm still here, aren't I? That wasn't a guarantee... Either Scum never caught on, or they thought they could get a vote on me during the day.

franconp

This is quite simple: Scum can also make mistakes. I was recently scum in a game where we lost 2 players after both of them made mistakes. You can ask Blarg about it (just don't ask about the chocolate pudding).

Not everything is a gambit or a well thought post.

This is quite simple: Scum can also make mistakes. I was recently scum in a game where we lost 2 players after both of them made mistakes. You can ask Blarg about it (just don't ask about the chocolate pudding).

Not everything is a gambit or a well thought post.

But Mafia's more fun if you think it is!

There's little else to say about the arsonist other than they may make a plea to say "I will help you catch mafia by dousing mafia players".

I'm not gonna claim arsonist - I'm not one.

However, I'm not gonna openly speculate on who it might be, either, because while I generally NEVER trust neutral roles to work in Town's favor, I'm curious to see how this one pans out.

lol

Maybe one good turn deserves another

VOTE: No Lynch

You're just full of odd phrasing, Kark. Tell me, why would you support No Lynch when by the end of d2, we will probably have some good leads? There are good ideas percolating right now. Why you yourself seem to think you know who the arsonist is but you won't say. Why is that? Is that in town's best interest or just in the interest of your entertainment?

Trying to get caught up before the deadline.

Be back with updated impressions in a bit.

So after popping in, pushing on fran - which you seem to have sorta retracted? - you come back and say this. But you didn't really offer much. You were still pushing on fran, which then was suspicious-

Ok. I think I'm caught up.

The last minute push on Zubz especially with it being spearheaded by fran does not surprise me.

I feel like nostradamus. Although i guess i wouldn't be surprised if Zubz really turned out to be scum.

Maybe he's just a blind spot for me and everyone else is seeing something I'm not.

But today it's not suspicious?

Want to look over the Cewyn votes. I think Cewyn was likely bussed.
franconp- while the reasoning was a bit out there. I mean I guess he was right afterall. Cewyn had little to no pressure on him when fran went all in, and I feel there's no way scum would do that to their own teammate. I was pretty suspicious of fran D1 but I can't really see scum doing what he did late D1 so I guess I'm going to have to drop my suspicions there. for now anyway.

fat4all- doesn't feel like he needs to needs to explain himself apparently.

Just want to note here because I don't want us getting ahead of ourselves. franconp, fat4all and neck's train against Cewyn means it's doubtful either of them are scum. That does NOT mean that they are town.

There's a high posiblity of an arsonist being in play which means we now have to consider neutrals as well.

So I'm guessing what you're saying is that you were wrong day one, but you seem to be doing the same thing today that you did then - you skate in, drop suspicion on some people (now it's me as "off" and some people who might be neutral for reasons and maybe acohrs) and same as before, you say you're gonna do more and you're gone again.

Actually probably more suspicious of those who voted Zubz. The "I didnt even read my PM" gambit was odd, but I can see town reasons for it. Chiefly that it forces game conversation.

Assuming we have a scum player that likes to lead the conversation (because some will undoubtedly just sit back and let things unfold), Zubs was a prime target to get town to turn against.

I know you don't have a lot of posts to pull from for me, but while I thought that the Zubz not reading his PM was stupid on his part, that's not wholly why I voted for him. It was a combination of things, and even though I thought I was giving Karkador the benefit of the doubt in that case, I still stand by my gut feeling on Zubz. This whole thing really smelled.

My thoughts are...

I mean this:

Also reread the last vote. He dragged the vote until the last second, when Cewyn's lynch was a done deal. He could have voted for him before to save himself but he went for No Lynch.

while this is really thin reasoning (and this is coming from someone who's tried to make a case with even less), I think Zubz' behavior so far is weird and at best, anti-town.

The first thing Zubz does is come into the game without even reading his role. The problem here is that town benefits from any information it has; if you have none, then you don't know how to act. What's more, even if he had read it and pretended to not have, that is a pretty significant act of misdirection just to try to get us to talk about something. More importantly, there was a shift when people reacted negatively to "I have a secret~" and Zubz trying to dangle what is probably non-existent information in front of us. He said he'd reveal what it is if he survived, but he hasn't said anything. Frankly, I don't even want to know what the information is, because this whole thing smells like Zubz was too hot out the gate and it backfired, now he's just trying to cover his ass as best as he can. It's pure self-preservation, and he's trying to coat it in "not hurting town" so we don't badger him.

VOTE: Zubz

Would really like to hear more of substance from Kalor, rac, LaunchpadMcQ.

Would like LP, Zubz, and Kark to answer some questions.

Oh, hey, there's Launch!

ok, just to clarify, I misread Kalor as Karkador on the vote sheet, who did have his vote on Zubz when I posted. I know I must look like an idiot, but I just barely had time to pop my head in on Saturday.

So, uh...

I know you don't have a lot of posts to pull from for me, but while I thought that the Zubz not reading his PM was stupid on his part, that's not wholly why I voted for him. It was a combination of things, and even though I thought I was giving Karkador the benefit of the doubt in that case, I still stand by my gut feeling on Zubz. This whole thing really smelled.

Is this another misread/mistype? Is it Kalor or Kark you're trusting?

My thoughts are...

while this is really thin reasoning (and this is coming from someone who's tried to make a case with even less), I think Zubz' behavior so far is weird and at best, anti-town.

The first thing Zubz does is come into the game without even reading his role. The problem here is that town benefits from any information it has; if you have none, then you don't know how to act. What's more, even if he had read it and pretended to not have, that is a pretty significant act of misdirection just to try to get us to talk about something. More importantly, there was a shift when people reacted negatively to "I have a secret~" and Zubz trying to dangle what is probably non-existent information in front of us. He said he'd reveal what it is if he survived, but he hasn't said anything. Frankly, I don't even want to know what the information is, because this whole thing smells like Zubz was too hot out the gate and it backfired, now he's just trying to cover his ass as best as he can. It's pure self-preservation, and he's trying to coat it in "not hurting town" so we don't badger him.

VOTE: Zubz

Yes, Zubz needs to follow through so we can either deal with the shitstorm he started or put it to bed.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
But Mafia's more fun if you think it is!

Even if that's true, how does one correctly interpret:

-Karkador musing on how he might know who the arsonist is and how they'll play but holds voting no lynch... to protect himself? To gather information? To anger town for some reason? Because he wants to see how this isaacnukem bonfire goes up? Just 'Cause?

-Zubz being one step away from growing a long beard, cackling about his hidden Incan gold, then lamenting how his secrets will die with him. Is he misguided town? Misguided scum? Some neutral looking for his end?

-Lunchpad correcting himself and then going all wanderer on the offensive on Zubz. Is he trying to sincerely make up for what looked super horrible (ironically, like Zubz?) or make himself taste less scummy to town after a gambit blew up in his face (ironically, like Zubz?). Use of "scum taste" copyright Blargonaut 2017.

-Hell, me. I took a shot in the dark at someone with two posts and a nebulous bit of language from Zubz. I threw a line and it came back with an apple on it for some reason when it very well could've (statistically should've?) ended up catching a boot. You can see it in how unsure people's impressions of me are, and they are right to temper any read off of such an action.

It's not a bad tactic to assume that there's a plan SOMEWHERE in any one line of thought, but both town as a whole and individual posters are capricious. Meaning can be hard to divine.

At the very least Zubz and Karkador seem to be working plans and hell if I can see how they boost town. I hope y'all aren't trying to turbo Zubz, though. Am on mobile and can't see the count but we have people haven't checked in yet.

LP, why didn't you move your vote from CB all game, and why didn't you speak up when I tried to push that lynch over Cewyn? In hindsight, I'm glad we hit Cewyn but it felt very like we just got lucky.

It's hard to vote on mobile. Plus he never showed up after so there was no reason to move it.

Wagons gain no traction from those already on it.

I'll have to check but melon throwing shade at me but not backing it up with a vote is interesting. There might have been someone else with a soft push too.

Zubz

Banned
At the very least Zubz and Karkador seem to be working plans and hell if I can see how they boost town. I hope y'all aren't trying to turbo Zubz, though. Am on mobile and can't see the count but we have people haven't checked in yet.

It's 4 right now, plus some deliberation from Rac. It definitely feels like a turbo, especially considering how out of the multiple people I cleared last night, none of those 5 were among them. If I had to wager, some, if not all, of our Scum is in there.

Because again, let's be real. If a dude comes in with a weird strategy cackling about machinations that won't be revealed for another in-game day, they're strongly insinuating I had some role going on. I was hoping that'd be a way to clear me with other Power Roles in case things got weird with my shenanigans, but it monopolized discussion, which I really didn't want.

I don't want to say too much else about what I learned to protect another player. But those 5 (Fran, Rac, Kitsune, Isaac, & Launch) have nothing going for them with me. All of them seem kinda erratic in attacking me for... being erratic in Launchpad's case, but the other 4 are all riding that "I must've known Cewyn was dropping out from our super secret chat," & not because I presumed a player who hadn't contributed in days was going to leave.

And side-note? Cewyn's farewell post strongly suggested he wasn't planning on dropping out, but the weekend was rough for him so he was busy. So can you 4 stop fixating on this & look at the real threats? Which probably includes half of you?

acohrs

Morning all!

I see some people want a zubz turbo today, I say no to that for the same reason as I said no yesterday. Quite surprised we hit scum in Cewyn, that lynch was a shot in the dark and for me was the best lynch option yesterday given some bad options (no lynch or zubz).

Karkador, I know gambits are fun, but this no lynch business has gone on long enough

acohrs

I will not entertain the notion of a 'No Lynch' unless under very specific conditions or situations. I do not want day two to be dominated by debate about 'No Lynch'.

This will be my only word on the matter going forward.

- from the desk of Fat4all, Esq.

You ain't no esquire, you's nothing but a...

giphy.gif

Top Bottom