• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steam_Logo.jpg

Hall of Shame-
wallofshame7t4a.png

Steam
Official Steam GIFTING thread of equal global distribution
2011 part 1 thread

What is Steam
A digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation. It is used to distribute games and related media online, from small independent developers to larger software houses. Steam also has community features, automated game updates, and in-game voice and chat functionality.

As of 2011, there are over 1,500 + games available through Steam.[3] In January 2010 Valve claimed that it had surpassed 25 million active user accounts.[4] Although Valve never releases sales figures, Steam is estimated to have a 70% share of the digital distribution market for video games.[5]

Many major publishers have catalogs on Steam, including Electronic Arts, Activision, 2K Games, Ubisoft, THQ, Sega, Codemasters, id Software, LucasArts, Capcom, Rockstar Games, Square Enix, Microsoft, and Bethesda Softworks.

TIPS
Search other regions of the Steam store-

adding'?cc=uk', '?cc=us', '?cc=fr' at the end of Steam's address.
Multiple credit cards-
You can spread the payments over multiple credit cards by adding money from each card/ account to your steam wallet:
1)Log into the client
2)Click on '.... account' at the top right corner of the page
3)Click 'add funds to Steam wallet'
DO. NOT. FILE. A. CHARGEBACK! Work with Valve directly to fix the issue.

Security-
1. Verify Email- HERE
2. Steam Guard-Within steam go to Steam> Settings> Manage Steam Gaurd>Keep account guarded by Steam Guard. For more info go here
3. Fishing Attempts- Valve will NEVER email you with sales or include a link that requires you log in. Its a phishing scam. Don't fall for it.

FAQ-
How do I contact Steam support?
Steam Support
Is my support account the same as my Steam account?
No. Your Steam, Steam Forums, and Steam Support accounts are all different
How often are their sales?
  • Midweek Sale-Tuesday through Thursday.
  • Weekend Sale- Thurs through Monday morning.
  • Weeklong Sale- Monday through Friday
Is there offline mode?
Yes, from within the client click on 'Steam' and then select 'Go offline'. You will have to store your log in information and periodically (every 30 days?) go online to verify files.
Which games can I register on Steam?
Here is a list
How can I add a non Steam game to the client?
Go to 'GAMES' and click on 'Add a non-Steam game to library'

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there offline mode?
Yes, from within the client click on 'Steam' and then select 'Go offline'. You will have to store your log in information and periodically go online to verify files.
How periodically does it require you to verify files?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm surprised I didn't make it into the hall of shame. I'm going to have to step this shit up.

Forkball said:
Just Cause 2 will be $5 on GamersGate tomorrow, it can be activated on Steam.
This deserves to be bolded.

Anyone who doesn't have it and can run it, get this !
If you can't run it, get it for the day you can.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Snuggler said:
I just filed 10 straight chargebacks just to spite him.

An exponential account lock. Truly a thing of beauty!

Cipherr said:
Wheres de sale :(

I believe the current consensus is that it starts next Thursday.

Salsa

Palette Swap said:
This deserves to be bolded.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will be $5 on GamersGate tomorrow, can be activated on Steam

this needs to be even boldler

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SalsaShark said:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will be $5 on GamersGate tomorrow, can be activated on Steam

I'm going to buy the shit out of this.

bjaelke said:
This will be on sale in 15 minutes.

Awesome. I just finished The Witcher (~70 hours all up) and I need something to fill the void.

Ionic

Can we get a Useful Programs for Steam section in the first post? People ought to know about Steam Mover and the likes.

SalsaShark said:

Wow, hadn't seen that.
For anyone who doesn't own either game, that might be the best 10 bucks you'll spend this year.

Chris R

Can't wait for the summer sale!

Also, any chance we ever see a TF2:Classic with the new f2p news? Man I miss playing that game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ionic said:
Can we get a Useful Programs for Steam section in the first post? People ought to know about Steam Mover and the likes.
That won't stop the continual bitching from people who installed Steam on C drive and don't bother reading the OP.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
SalsaShark said:

Indeed it shall be., while I own the games I may buy my brother Lara Croft in order to play a bit of co-op.

strem

I have never been to gamers gate so let me ask a dumb question. Im going to buy guardian of light so how do I activate it through steam after I buy it

Salsa

fuck it wish granted

strem said:
I have never been to gamers gate so let me ask a dumb question. Im going to buy guardian of light so how do I activate it through steam after I buy it

After you get the game there's an option to "show serial key" under the "My Games" section. A key will show up, you go to "Games > Activate a product on Steam" in the Steam client, put the key there, steam takes care of the rest.

Amagon

Based Gabe & your glorious Steam service, my wallet is ready! Cheers to another 20k boys and girls. And cheers for more games added to the backloggery vault!
Fake Edit: Holy Shit! Just checked, I own 192 games on Steam!!!!

Thoraxes

Man, when the summer sale starts, I am so ready.
I have a ton of cash saved up for this, so i'm hoping to see some great deals. (Also the reason why i'm waiting on Terraria)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom