• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SalsaShark said:
adXrY.png
Hush. Off to bed with you :p give others a chance to reply.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Corky said:
Where is the steam sale. I'm on a hungerstrike until I get my sale and golly I'm getting hungry.

Every time someone complains about the sale Valve delays it another day >:| Good job, you just delayed it until next year!

strem

MNC said:
Can I get confirmation on Lara from Gamersgate is redeemable on steam? Friend is about to buy it.

I just bought it 10 minutes ago and activated through steam. It is downloading in my steam client as we speak

SalsaShark said:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will be $5 on GamersGate tomorrow, can be activated on Steam

this needs to be even boldler

I've new to modern pc gaming. What are the advantages of "activating" a game on steam?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anticitizen One said:
I've new to modern pc gaming. What are the advantages of "activating" a game on steam?
Having a neat way of organizing your games, automatic updates and the feeling of superiority. Mainly superiority.

SalsaShark said:
nope, its an option

a good one to limit yourself

those 20 bucks that you see on mine are the only money im trying to spend on the sales considering i need to upgrade my PC next month.

bets start on how much im gonna last till i put more money

Ah thanks. I can understand the need to limit oneself.. especially during the summer sale.

strem

Anticitizen One said:

For me just having every game I own inside of my Steam client is the greatest thing ever. If you ever switch PC's or buy/build a new PC, just download Steam, log in and download all your games

Narag

Anticitizen One said:

In this scenario where the game is Steamworks, you could buy at a cheaper price than what Steam offers while retaining regular Steam functionality.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anticitizen One said:
But you won't have access to steam achievements right?

Only if the game doesn't utilise Steamworks (or does, but doesn't offer achievements).

Edit: FMI.

szaromir

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
None. trollface.jpg

I already have the 360 version of Lara Croft, any advantages to the PC version outside of the usual 1080p60?

Narag

Ookami-kun said:
Posting here again!

Say, is there a way to add Steam Wallet money in the Steam interface?

Looks like you can if you click the "name"'s account in the top right corner by the minimize/maximize/exit buttons.

Anticitizen One said:
For me it's easier to have all my eggs in one basket. One password for the vast majority of my games. The community side of things, for a co-op game like Croft lets you play with your friends a little easier because of the community stuff.

There's a lot of OCD people who won't buy a non Steam game which reaks of a friend back in the DVD days who wouldn't buy a film if it was released on VHS & DVD, just to show his 'support' for the DVD format.

Just picked up Croft, thanks for the tip folks.

Narag

Stupacabra said:
Oh - does the PC version of LC: GoL have the local co-op that the 360 one has? I have two Xbox 360 controllers for Windows.

Looks like it. Stallion Free mentioned it earlier as well.

Stallion Free said:
Guardian of Light was incredible in co-op. Made me glad I had two 360 pads.

kevm3

Toma said:
Having a neat way of organizing your games, automatic updates and the feeling of superiority. Mainly superiority.

I don't really get the huge deal about Steam. Automatic updates is fairly interesting and I like the ability to chat in-game, but I particularly don't care for losing the ability to play my games offline and have them locked behind the Steam wall.

JaseC

kevm3 said:
I don't really get the huge deal about Steam. Automatic updates is fairly interesting and I like the ability to chat in-game, but I particularly don't care for losing the ability to play my games offline and have them locked behind the Steam wall.

Steam has an offline mode.

dani_dc

kevm3 said:
You can play them offline though, Steam offers an offline mode. Had no issue with it and a friend of mine also used that mode a lot to play games on his college without issue.

PaulLFC

kevm3 said:

You don't. You start the game once when you're connected to the internet, any other time after that you can put Steam in offline mode and play the game offline. I think that's right, anyway - I've never needed to play offline up to now, but that's what I remember reading.

JaseC

PaulLFC said:
You don't. You start the game once when you're connected to the internet, any other time after that you can put Steam in offline mode and play the game offline. I think that's right, anyway.

Yeah. Took me a little while to realise you have to run the games you wish to play offline while Steam is still online - and then set Steam to offline mode while in that same instance - to avoid issues when using said mode.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Narag said:
Looks like you can if you click the "name"'s account in the top right corner by the minimize/maximize/exit buttons.

Thanks. They should make it easier to notice though, about adding steam funds.

MRORANGE

urgh, spent some of my steam money for the sale, only around £3 but I could have got a game for that much, oh wow new thread, let the daily sale rant begin!

taranatar

Hey guys, Most of my friends are console gamers and I've been slowly converting back to PC gaming.

My Steam friends list is looking pretty abysmal any of you UK Steam players wanna hook me up?

:)

Just add me - taranatar1986. Cheers all!!

Detox

Stupacabra said:
Would anyone be able to help me out with acquiring the GamersGate Lara Croft deal in USD? I am in England. Can Paypal in the next few hours.

Thanks in advance.
You do realise the difference between the US and UK price is 25 cents or 16p right?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
JaseC said:
Yeah. Took me a little while to realise you have to run the games you wish to play offline while Steam is still online - and then set Steam to offline mode while in that same instance - to avoid issues when using said mode.
Not even that, as far as I've seen. I've had Steam say on startup, "yo I can't see the Internet, you want to start in offline mode?" and I was like yeah I do and then I played games.

shuyin_

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Great, the title should get Wendi and Szaomir in here right quick.
Why do you guys give Wendi and Szaromir shit? Because they defended Origin in the Crytek vs. Valve thread?
Is it so bad to have more options? A new store = more options and possibly new sales.

Do you guys even realize how stupid your stance is? Do you at least realize that your 'i will only buy from Steam even if other stores may have cheaper products' attitude makes you come off as indoctrinated consumers?

shuyin_

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Eurgh. Let's not bring this shit into this thread.
I feel you should've said this to Stallion Free. I really really do

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm saying it in general. I'm sure 99% of the people who visit this thread do so to talk about Steam news and a bit of general PC gaming, not to read arguments about how good Steam may or may not be for the industry.
The point isn't how good is Steam for the industry. The point is why people feel the need to give other people shit, when they themselves come off as indoctrinated consumers.
Anyway, i do agree with you that this thread should be Steam relevant things only, but hey.. it's not me who opened this discussions. Once again, it was Stallion Free so....

I'm saying it in general. I'm sure 99% of the people who visit this thread do so to talk about Steam news and a bit of general PC gaming, not to read arguments about how good Steam may or may not be for the industry.

shuyin_ said:
Do you guys even realize how stupid your stance is? Do you at least realize that your 'i will only buy from Steam even if other stores may have cheaper products' attitude makes you come off as indoctrinated consumers?

Price isn't the only dimension to use when evaluating a product. Anyway ...

Foliorum Viridum said:
Eurgh. Let's not bring this shit into this thread.

This.

To change the discussion a bit, I wonder what would happen in here should Steam ever get hacked.. with all the shit going on lately this scares me. :(

daviyoung

Banned
Da DreadLord said:
To change the discussion a bit, I wonder what would happen in here should Steam ever get hacked.. with all the shit going on lately this scares me. :(

Free Half Life Source for all!

JaseC

Da DreadLord said:

If I'm not mistaken, the hacking has been nothing but simple SQL injections in outdated software. Something tells me you don't have to worry about Valve being so lazy towards security.

shuyin_

Banned
Da DreadLord said:
You'd receive Half Life 3 for free :p

@ROBOKITTYZILLA: :lol this is what you did:
-1st, you made a post just to continue the offtopic discussion, with your opinion.
-secondly you take the opportunity to agree with a poster before you, that said the discussion should've ended.

You're not very bright, are you? :)

Da DreadLord said:
Valve have probably taken a lot of care with their security ever since the HL 2 leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom