• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Da DreadLord said:
To change the discussion a bit, I wonder what would happen in here should Steam ever get hacked.. with all the shit going on lately this scares me. :(

I imagine that people would be pretty upset. Make sure Steam Guard is enabled on your account and your collection should be pretty safe in the event that Steam is ever hacked.

Fredescu

Gabe gave out his password once to see if anyone could get past Steam Guard a few months ago. I assume they didn't.

As long as your contact email is verified and you have Steam guard on, you shouldn't have much to worry about on a personal level. Does Steam force you to verify your email now that Steam Guard is out? It didn't before. Anyone worried should check that their contact email says verified next to it in their account settings.

JaseC said:
If I'm not mistaken, the hacking has been nothing but simple SQL injections in outdated software. Something tells me you don't have to worry about Valve being so lazy towards security.
Id hope so, but security is a strange thing.. you usually only find out you made a mistake when its too late and someone used it against you.

Then again your avatar calms any fears anyone might have XD

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LiquidMetal14 said:
Is Mini-Ninjas worth 7.50? It's on GG today for that price.

I liked it. It's not amazing, but it's visually cute, and pretty fun to try out the different ninjas. That being said, it was on sale for $6.80 a month ago on Steam, so it'll almost certainly be $6.80 or $5.00 during the summer sale. If you've held out this long for the game, might be worth holding out a little while longer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Da DreadLord said:
Id hope so, but security is a strange thing.. you usually only find out you made a mistake when its too late and someone used it against you.

True, but as mentioned Valve wouldn't want to take any chances after the HL2 beta was leaked.

Then again your avatar calms any fear anyone might have XD

If I possessed the skill I'd photoshop Gabe's head on to it. :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Stumpokapow said:
I liked it. It's not amazing, but it's visually cute, and pretty fun to try out the different ninjas. That being said, it was on sale for $6.80 a month ago on Steam, so it'll almost certainly be $6.80 or $5.00 during the summer sale. If you've held out this long for the game, might be worth holding out a little while longer.
I remember that but had no funds in my wallet. Now that I know about that feature I have about 50 in reserve for the sale and will likely add more. Will wait a little longer.

I am picking up Just Cause 2 tomorrow for 5 though. Been wanting to buy that game and I skipped it in the SE Steam sale a while back in favor of Batman AA. Not passing it up this time especially since it's Steamworks.

MRORANGE said:
Son, I'm not paying 19.99 for that :p

JaseC said:
If I possessed the skill I'd photoshop Gabe's head on to it. :p

Im at work so had to do quickly lol
gabecooper.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
Schmattakopf said:
I like compact skins but it doesn't seem worth it if I have to reinstall after every update. I feel like skins should be supported a little better.
I use the same conpact skin as her (salsashark), and I don't have to reinstall it after every update?

Gvaz said:
This is a bit of an oversight. This should be in the OP

A link and information on Steam Mover would be good for the OP also. I just started using it recently and it works great. I often see, "I can't install games on a different drive?" as a major complaint against Steam and this application pretty much solves that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Da DreadLord said:
Wouldnt look too bad in twin peaks if you asked me.. I'm sure Gabe would love the pie.

Now I want to see Twin Peaks s03 with Gabe playing the role of Cooper. It'd be as though no time had passed at all!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
24FrameDaVinci said:
Truth. It's the only open world game worth playing (aside from RDR) until GTAV comes out.
Mafia technically has an open world and it's also well worth playing.

MNC said:
uhm, salsashark's not a her.
I'm dying of laughter here. They probably assumed it from that "it's raining but i want to go to this party thread."

Going into Mafia 2 expecting an open world game is a bad idea, though.

The open world aspect is the only part of that great, great game I wasn't overly fond of. Would've been better as a more linear experience, I think.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
Going into Mafia 2 expecting an open world game is a bad idea, though.

The open world aspect is the only part of that great, great game I wasn't overly fond of. Would've been better as a more linear experience, I think.
I thought it did wonders for the atmosphere. I just wanted to drive forever through the snowy streets at night listening to period music.

It never captured me like that. I was too immersed in the story and just wanted to get on to the next mission. Got a bit bored of driving around all the time.

I really need to pick up that DLC that was released for it, now I think about it.

Blizzard

Banned
dani_dc said:
You can play them offline though, Steam offers an offline mode. Had no issue with it and a friend of mine also used that mode a lot to play games on his college without issue.
JaseC said:
Steam has an offline mode.
The OP itself says that if you're offline more than a month, you may have to go online to verify files (maybe you can work around that by changing your system clock?). I had never even heard of that but I guess it doesn't affect most people as long as Valve doesn't block your account and you're not deployed in military service.

Also, if it wasn't mentioned, make sure to at LEAST verify your email account in settings so people can't change your password, even if you don't use Steam Guard. (sorry if some of that got changed and I'm out of date)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I dunno, I can't be the only one wondering, but when does the Summer sale start?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
It never captured me like that. I was too immersed in the story and just wanted to get on to the next mission. Got a bit bored of driving around all the time.

I really need to pick up that DLC that was released for it, now I think about it.
Just grab Joe's Adventures, it has 4 or 5 full-fledged missions with cutscenes and stuff. Really top-notch. There is filler in between though and it does make use of the open world.

1-D_FTW

And in defense of Mafia 2's sandbox mode, it's not as bad as some people make out. It's no where near GTA and the cops calling off searches so easily is a buzzkill, but I had some pretty fun moments of just screwing around. There are some good spots to have some fun. Cops will flank around you, scale fences to try and get you, etc.

Game's a must buy for it's criminally under-rated single player mode (just accept it's a slow build and you'll judge it by its totality), but there are some hours worth of fun in sandbox mode if you're willing to get creative.

is the steam sale on right now? Empire & Napoleon GOTY pack dropped from 50 to 30. I'm thinking of buying it right now unless its going down later.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Steam Summer Sale 2011 |OT| Let the Diabolical Meta-Game Begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom