• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Book Club (Feb 2012) - "2666" by Roberto Bolaño

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF Book Club (Feb 2012) - "2666" by Roberto Bolaño

wRAub.jpg

"2666 is as consummate a performance as any 900-page novel dare hope to be." -- Jonathan Lethem

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6372225-2666?utm_medium=api&utm_source=blog_book
2666 by Roberto Bolaño

Three academics on the trail of a reclusive German author; a New York reporter on his first Mexican assignment; a widowed philosopher; a police detective in love with an elusive older woman--these are among the searchers drawn to the border city of Santa Teresa, where over the course of a decade hundreds of women have disappeared.

In the words of The Washington Post, "With 2666, Roberto Bolaño joins the ambitious overachievers of the twentieth-century novel, those like Proust, Musil, Joyce, Gaddis, Pynchon, Fuentes, and Vollmann, who push the novel far past its conventional size and scope to encompass an entire era, deploying encyclopedic knowledge and stylistic verve to offer a grand, if sometimes idiosyncratic, summation of their culture and the novelist's place in it. Bolaño has joined the immortals."

Amazon Paperback

Guidelines:
  • For maximum fun and discussion, follow the milestones with the group. But feel free to read at your own pace if you prefer!
  • If you read ahead and want to drop some knowledge, that's cool--but please use spoiler tags where appropriate! And be sure to indicate how far ahead the spoiler is. [spoiler]text goes here[/spoiler]
  • Unspoilered discussion of anything through the latest milestone is allowed and encouraged. If you’re not caught up, read the thread at your own risk!
  • Suggestions for the next book club selection are welcome at any time. Please vote on the next book once we're finished with this one. If no consensus is reached by the end of the month, we will go with the next book in the tentative order below.

Reading Milestones:
[Incoming]

Future Book Club Possibilities (In Tentative Order):
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Help! A Bear Is Eating Me! by Mykle Hansen
If on a winter's night, a traveler by Italo Calvino
The Long Ships by Frans Gunnar Bengtsson
The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Candide by Voltaire
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Devil In the White City by Erik Larson
[your recommendation here!]

Previous Book Club Threads:
Catch-22, by Joseph Heller (Jan 2012)
The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (December 2011)
Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West, by Cormac McCarthy (Oct 2011)
The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov (Sep 2011)
The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas (Aug 2011)
Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brian (July 2011)
The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin (June 2011)
A Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan (May 2011)
The Afghan Campaign, by Steven Pressfield (Apr 2011)
Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein (Mar 2011)
Flashman, by George MacDonald Fraser (Feb 2011)

Small note: Yes, there are eight days less for this month's book club, but - unless habits change - our next book will be Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote, a novella which is less than two hundred pages long. Some overlap into March will be fine. I was tempted to switch them around, but I've been wanting to read this for a long time. From everything I've heard, that makes this the wise decision.

I loved reading Catch-22, but I have a few books lined up at the moment and I'm not sure if I can get excited enough for this one to read it. I'll keep an eye on the thread, though, and see how people are reacting to it.

Ashes

Banned
Small note: Yes, there are eight days less for this month's book club, but - unless habits change - our next book will be Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote, a novella which is less than two hundred pages long. Some overlap into March will be fine. I was tempted to switch them around, but I've been wanting to read this for a long time. From everything I've heard, that makes this the wise decision.

:p

Someone of us reading that this month... ;)

Apparently, this month's book is a thousand pager. So I approve. *nods*

FnordChan

So has anyone started reading it yet?

As I mentioned in the What Are You Reading? thread, I'm all of six pages in so far. Just a few pages to go!

This book club thread gave me the opportunity to finally go to a fairly new independent bookshop in my town, Flyleaf Books. I've been meaning to get over there for a year, but the siren call of the dreaded Amazon means that I've been doing my book pre-orders there (yes, I am part of the problem), along with used book shopping elsewhere in the area. However, when the book club is for 900 pages of novel and roughly three weeks to choke 'em down, I figured I'd better get a jump on 2666 immediately.

The good news is that this was a very nice store, with a copy of 2666 ready to go, a big meeting space, some used books, modest but well stocked genre sections like Mystery, SF/Fantasy, and manga, and so forth. It was also completely deserted at 8pm on a Tuesday night. Sigh. I'm going to have to go shop there more often, if only to try to lessen the guilt for my own contributions to the death of independent book stores.

FnordChan

Pau

Man, I completely forgot about this and figured you guys would be way ahead, but it seems like very few have even started.

Is anyone else reading it in the original Spanish?

I'm at The Part About Fate now, and I have to say this book is great.
It's impossible to really pick a favorite part, but I have to say- this section is fucking mindblowing. It's all of the hinted-to dread in the Critics at a rampant pace.

Get ready for the Part about The Crimes! It's terrifyingly good.

FnordChan

I just finished The Part About The Critics over lunch today and so far, while I'm enjoying the hell out of the book, I'm not sure I have much insightful to say so far. I read the introduction that explained how Bolaño's original plan was to have each part published as a separate novel, so perhaps I should have some more concrete thoughts about that section, but I can't help but view it as only the first fifth of a complete book and I feel that it's too early for me to say much beyond: Man, so far this is one hell of a read.

I won't be making it across the finish line in eight days but I'm certainly enjoying myself greatly. Perhaps I'll have something concrete to say after the next part.

FnordChan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom