• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 2012 NPD Predictions - Closes June 11 (Monday after E3)

donny2112

~4.5 hours left to predict for May's NPD results. First month with actual Wal-Mart data instead of simply estimated Wal-Mart data. :)

Road

From a glance, the standard deviation must be really low this month. It'd be funny if the Walmart data made everyone look bad.

Also, this seems like one of the lowest amount of predictions since I started somewhere in 2009. =|

donny2112

Why was that decision made?

Wal-Mart? It wasn't up to NPD. Wal-Mart stopped sharing their numbers with NPD. The reason was supposed to be that Wal-Mart felt that sharing its numbers told their competitors more about Wal-Mart than Wal-Mart would gain from the sharing. (Remember that NPD covers all retail purchases and not just video games.) Just in the past year did Wal-Mart change their stance and license their numbers through Nielsen, and this NPD agreement came about a few months after that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Microsoft numbers? Probable.
Nintendo numbers? Doubtful.
Sony Numbers? Are you kidding?

So I read this as
MS: Over 200k again, best selling console again
Nintendo: 3DS maybe on par with last month (a great achievement!!!...err, yeah), but Wii is on par as well (ugh), so...
Sony: PS3 and Vita doing a bit lower, and especially the need to talk about the upcoming Wonderbook

NateDrake

So I read this as
MS: Over 200k again, best selling console again
Nintendo: 3DS maybe on par with last month (a great achievement!!!...err, yeah), but Wii is on par as well (ugh), so...
Sony: PS3 and Vita doing a bit lower, and especially the need to talk about the upcoming Wonderbook

I don't believe he gets NPD data anymore. His comments are just general statements.

Petrae

I don't believe he gets NPD data anymore. His comments are just general statements.

I did receive the snapshot data this afternoon, unexpectedly. I had stopped receiving them earlier this year, so today's e-mail was a surprise.

So, you're right. I wasn't receiving the data for a little while... but I do have access for May, at least. Unfortunately, as with others privy to the data, specifics aren't allowed. Just guidance.

Celine

I did receive the snapshot data this afternoon, unexpectedly. I had stopped receiving them earlier this year, so today's e-mail was a surprise.

So, you're right. I wasn't receiving the data for a little while... but I do have access for May, at least. Unfortunately, as with others privy to the data, specifics aren't allowed. Just guidance.
I imagine you can't say if Vita has done more than 50K?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, since neither Microsoft has said anything so far, when normally we know what 360 did about an hour before the actual top 10 is released, I feel this has been a REALLY bad month.

Loudninja

Ok, since neither Microsoft has said anything so far, when normally we know what 360 did about an hour before the actual top 10 is released, I feel this has been a REALLY bad month.
Naw sometimes they wait closer to the time.

Edit:Maybe you are right nothing so far.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

When jvm makes estimates I hope you'll comment on them.

Top Bottom