• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: PS4 & 720 Will Need Plenty Of RAM To Meet Our Standard (+Edge RAM Rumor)

ASIS

To a certain point, power increases the potential and capability of a game. Gameplay itself is up to the developers. Simply, it more so depends on the developers than power to make gameplay different and unique.

Of course this is true, but how many games do you know of that actually benefit from worse graphics?

it may not be the end all be all, but it does improve any experience out there (hell, even tetris).

Dan Yo

Banned
Didn't realize we were talking about Flops, but yeah, now that you mention it, care to expand on why you might find this interesting? I thought we already knew a 580 or 680 were more powerful than the GPUs rumored to be inside the next-gen consoles.
That would be pretty crappy. The 360 launched with a GPU more powerful than anything on the PC market at the time.

If we're looking at a generation starting next year, where the GPUs are even weaker than what is already currently available, then that would be pretty sad.

Famassu

How much did the current leader in graphics, Witcher 2, cost to make?
I don't know, but that's irrelevant unless all game development moves to Poland/Eastern Europe and other places in the world with generally cheaper wages than in Japan or the western world.

Though, one of the aims of this engine is to help keep to costs of development at a reasonable level, isn't it?

PC development costs are different. Prime example being the most demanding PC game taking only around $10 million to develop.

Excluding the cost of developing the witcher 2 engine of course. It's misleading in the same way Epic's development costs are misleading. The average developer is going to be making modifications to the engine and including that in their dev costs while those who make their own engines exclude it.

Ryoku

That would be pretty crappy. The 360 launched with a GPU more powerful than anything on the PC market at the time.

If we're looking at a generation starting next year, where the GPUs are even weaker than what is already currently available, then that would be pretty sad.

Compared to when the current-gen systems launched, GPUs on the PC side have dramatically increased power consumption, heat generated, and definitely cost. You can't fit these top-of-the-line GPUs in a console-sized box precisely due to these reasons. The tech-demo was ran on a GTX680 because it has the power. You're still going to get a noticeable jump. Good things are expected (hoped) for the next generation.

Why is everyone so down on next gen? Is it because of the Wii? Agni's level of graphics is exactly the type of jump typically expected going from one console gen to the next. Only difference is, most gens only take 5 years.

Lol no. You're getting a much bigger jump than [PS2/GC/Xbox --> Wii] even with Wii U. You're not getting close to the jump you'd expect due to the reasons I stated above. This gen we saw a roughly 20x increase in performance from last gen. Next gen we're looking at a 3-8x jump.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Goes back to the Samaritan talk from a few months ago and what we talked about partially recently. Applying it to a current context these devs are making demands for what they want from the console makers and using hardware that's not only clearly more powerful, but the top line single GPU from nVidia while the consoles are using AMD GPUs. It's like they are maximizing the gap between the demo hardware and the consoles and saying "this is where we want you to be".

How long do you think they've been saying this? Recent stuff like the square demo are in public, so it feels like a last chance of influence - show us, tease us and we'll be expecting machines from Sony/MS that can deliver.nbut presumably they will have been lobbying for a while now - not sure whether major changes are possible this late in development, maybe a tweak here or there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Compared to when the current-gen systems launched, GPUs on the PC side have dramatically increased power consumption, heat generated, and definitely cost. You can't fit these top-of-the-line GPUs in a console-sized box precisely due to these reasons. The tech-demo was ran on a GTX680 because it has the power. You're still going to get a noticeable jump. Good things are expected (hoped) for the next generation.

680 has an official TDP of 195W. Modern CPUs can be relatively low power depending how much horsepower you want. You could get a complete system using less than 300W.

I'm not saying they will, i'm just curious why people are putting a hard stop at whatever the wattage 360/PS3 were at launch.

luffeN

PC development costs are different. Prime example being the most demanding PC game taking only around $10 million to develop.
Why is it so low? What if one 3rd party developer creates one game for only one console. Would it be enough to program a demanding game with $10 million?

Ryoku

680 has an official TDP of 195W. Modern CPUs can be relatively low power depending how much horsepower you want. You could get a complete system using less than 300W.

I'm not saying they will, i'm just curious why people are putting a hard stop at whatever the wattage 360/PS3 were at launch.

I forgot that TDP rates have gotten lower with successive generation of GPUs (and that Sony and Microsoft aren't Nintendo when it comes to power consumption). When I think TDP of a PC GPU, I mix it up with the recommended power requirement of the GPU. I'll gladly take that back. The heat issue and cost are still there, though, and those are the bigger problems.

Cramoss

dXreP.jpg

Insane.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I forgot that TDP rates have gotten lower with successive generation of GPUs (and that Sony and Microsoft aren't Nintendo when it comes to power consumption). When I think TDP of a PC GPU, I mix it up with the recommended power requirement of the GPU. I'll gladly take that back. The heat issue and cost are still there, though, and those are the bigger problems.

360 had the RROD but the PS3 had some great cooling and an internal PSU. Moving the PSU to external would give them less heat to disperse and if needed more space for additional cooling.

Cost - blah, you're licensing millions of chips, probably part funding development of their PC line which they make huge margins on, the cost difference is surmountable IMO. Especially if there is a clear path to size/cost reduction down the line (potentially thats a bigger issue as I think the 680 is already 28nm, so shrinks may take longer than the larger processes used on older chips)

AB12

The heat issue and cost are still there, though, and those are the bigger problems.
What are exceptable levels of heat in a console? Heat is bigger issue than because cost of tech goes down year to year, while heat newer needs technology to develop.

Nevadatan

look!! S-E wants more RAM so they can pack up the emo hair textures uncompressed!! moar quality on arm cuts and fancy leather belt suits too!!
c'mon guys, seems legit!!

Durante

Can't wait until every game costs $100 million to make.
The best looking RPG out right now cost $10 million to make. It also has HD towns, and is nonlinear.

To reign in costs, S-E needs to fix their development process for HD games, and everything they've said and done over the past year or two shows that they are actively working on it. Throwing your hands in the air and accepting stagnation while relying on old technology and methodologies, as some here seem to be proposing, is not a solution.

Dali

It's not entirely feasible. If publishers are preparing heavily for 720/PS4 they can't have a business plan for Wii U, unless waiting and maybe porting games after its launch later counts. Even the big publishers can't stretch themselves that thin, which makes me fear for the worst next gen (should Wii U succeed).

Wouldn't devoting equal attention to both ps4/720 from the very start be following that plan? I'm not talking about Silpheed sequels either. They're not banking on one platform I'm sure. They're designing a new engine that will be platform agnostic. They've scooped up western developers that can make AAA multiplatform releases which is what the Japanese branch will be doing the start of next gen. It's a very feasible plan. Just because Wii U may get half-ass, B-team, releases doesn't mean they aren't following it. Not following the plan would be another, platform-exclusive, AAA, money-sink, like FFversusXIII or a mainline FF that wasn't developed day one with multiplatform release in mind. The next Playstation and Xbox aren't the same console.

You don't think it's a good strategy to release new IPs while the library is thin with less competition on the shelf?
I have no idea what this has to do with my posts.

KageMaru

I have no idea what this has to do with my posts.

Sorry about that, I'm a dumbass lol

I read your post all the way through but didn't properly read what you were replying to. =p

It doesn't matter if you're a big company or small, you still have to make bets and invest early. You can't wait until the dust settles and it becomes apparent where each console sits within a generation.

Last gen SE placed most of their bets on Sony, while leaving the door open to MS and Nintendo. Next gen, it looks like they are betting on Sony and MS. It's doubtful but IF the 720 and PS4 bomb, that investment made for a next gen engine would be wasted.

Sorry about that, I'm a dumbass lol

I read your post all the way through but didn't properly read what you were replying to. =p

It doesn't matter if you're a big company or small, you still have to make bets and invest early. You can't wait until the dust settles and it becomes apparent where each console sits within a generation.

Last gen SE placed most of their bets on Sony, while leaving the door open to MS and Nintendo. Next gen, it looks like they are betting on Sony and MS. It's doubtful but IF the 720 and PS4 bomb, that investment made for a next gen engine would be wasted.

To be fair, in the original article doesn't actually specify the systems they are targeting. At this point I think its too early to draw any conclusions.

Hero

Wasn't there a Square-Enix thread recently where it was brought up that an employee was working on modeling/creating a rock and once she had done that nobody told her what to do next so she just kept on improving the rock?

LTWheels

If SE is pushing this much power with there new engine, there better be PC versions of the Japanese games to take full advantage of the engine.

i-Lo

Imagine the next Deus Ex on this engine. I wonder if this engine can be used by multiple SE studios to reduce dev time and cost.

Derrick01

Banned
Imagine the next Deus Ex on this engine. I wonder if this engine can be used by multiple SE studios to reduce dev time and cost.

The next Deus Ex will probably look kind of ugly for its time. Those kinds of games always look a bit ugly because all the work goes into the level design, as it should. There's a lot of non linearity and multiple paths to design.

KageMaru

To be fair, in the original article doesn't actually specify the systems they are targeting. At this point I think its too early to draw any conclusions.

Well I took this comment as a reference towards MS and Sony since there's no way the Wii-U is rendering that tech:

However, Square Enix is confident that hardware makers will ”come to a level of quality that will support” the visuals shown in the tech demo.

Wasn't there a Square-Enix thread recently where it was brought up that an employee was working on modeling/creating a rock and once she had done that nobody told her what to do next so she just kept on improving the rock?

Wow if true.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

I don't know, if that model is usable ingame(for ingame i mean when you actually control her running, fighting enemies etc) then i'm impressed, if that is a real time cut scene model then i'm not impressed, beyond two souls it's not that far
beyond-two-souls.jpg

The agni's philosophy model is richer and better, but it's not a huge jump like these:
unreal_engine_comparison.jpg

imo.

Hero

Found it, from the EGM: FF Versus XIII No Show at E3 thread.

Again, this really speaks to the management at Square being entirely inept. It seems like they just weren't ready to take on next gen games. And that's a shame. Because the Square of the 90's and early 2000s was pretty awesome.

I was listening to some podcasts yesterday and I heard a story about a Square Enix artist that worked on a rock for two weeks. The rock was to be in a two second part of a cut scene. She just kept working on it and working on it because nobody had given her a new assignment.

I'd also heard that until they bought Eidos, play testing their games to an outside audience was just unheard of.

Seems someone else added on and clarified that though.

It's not a rock. The original poster probably didn't remember correctly, but he was referring to a discussion regarding the "Cobblestone Girl", which is an artist specialized in cobblestone modeling/texturing (I have no idea how factual this actually is with regards to Square Enix). The discussion on WAHP wasn't so much about how they wasted time by assign people to do such specific tasks, but rather about the deliberate inflexible policies implemented by Japanese management to prevent employees from being able to seek employment at other companies. If an employee's only skill is cobblestoning, then it's less likely she would be able to leave Square after they train her (to cobblestone) and go to another company.

The side effect, of course, is that everyone is so specialized the structure is too rigid to accommodate necessary changes when changing development methods.

Not sure which is worse, to be honest.

beyond-two-souls.jpg

The agni's philosophy model is richer and better, but it's not a huge jump like these:

imo.

Nah, Agni's Philosophy character's complexion looks real. Eyes, skin color, hair and everything looks right.

In that Beyond pic, her sweat and blood look..."gamey". Like a piece of plastic.

Nah, Agni's Philosophy character's complexion looks real. Eyes, skin color, hair and everything looks right.

In that Beyond pic, her sweat and blood look..."gamey". Like a piece of plastic.

Indeed... here's hoping SE brings their games to the PC. If the consoles aren't packing major muscle hardware then I'll be rocking SLI 680's or 7970s with 16GB of RAM.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

I agree with you, but if a 2006 ps3 can do something like beyond two souls, from a 2013/2014 ps4 i expect something far better than that, at least i want that model ingame( when i control her ).

Would a RAM upgrade port like the N64 had be a bad idea for next gen? Atleast it would give the consumer an option. Or I may be totally clueless....

Meelow

Banned
My impression is that Square-Enix is (almost) totally unprepared for Wii U, especially in case it succeeds. I would call that a bad business plan, because it seems to me they're betting on 720/PS4 before the start of next gen (and presumably a year before those two are out).

As I mentioned this is probably inevitable because they don't have enough manpower to support Wii U and 720/PS4 in a reasonable way, i.e. from launch. Even if they port their 720/PS4 titles over, that would still mean (probably) a year without a plan for Wii U, not counting DQ X. Unless of course betting against a console by not supporting it counts as a reasonable business plan. Then again we're still left unclear about Japanese support for Wii U in general, so maybe some magical Japanese Nintendo event is goint to prove me wrong.

The thing is, Square never even mention the PS4 and 720 in this article, the writer said those, Square said "What we want for Next Generation consoles".

Epcott

Damnit Squenix, I just want a KH and FF HD collection.

Damn shame FFXII isn't available on PSN. They're talking about next gen and have yet to get their shit together this gen.

StevieP

Banned

But that's exactly what's going to happen?

That's a drastic oversimplification of "development costs on PC". Especially when you're talking about games that are developed in countries that pay far lower wages. As mentioned, you might be saving a bit on licensing cost in comparison to consoles.

KageMaru

My impression is that Square-Enix is (almost) totally unprepared for Wii U, especially in case it succeeds. I would call that a bad business plan, because it seems to me they're betting on 720/PS4 before the start of next gen (and presumably a year before those two are out).

As I mentioned this is probably inevitable because they don't have enough manpower to support Wii U and 720/PS4 in a reasonable way, i.e. from launch. Even if they port their 720/PS4 titles over, that would still mean (probably) a year without a plan for Wii U, not counting DQ X. Unless of course betting against a console by not supporting it counts as a reasonable business plan. Then again we're still left unclear about Japanese support for Wii U in general, so maybe some magical Japanese Nintendo event is goint to prove me wrong.

Isn't FFXIV running on the Crystal Tools engine? I wonder if they could port that over the Wii-U since the PC version would support DX10/11 features, right?

Would a RAM upgrade port like the N64 had be a bad idea for next gen? Atleast it would give the consumer an option. Or I may be totally clueless....

It's unlikely it would be used for any game unless it was specifically packaged with it.

The thing is, Square never even mention the PS4 and 720 in this article, the writer said those, Square said "What we want for Next Generation consoles".

There is this part:

However, Square Enix is confident that hardware makers will ”come to a level of quality that will support” the visuals shown in the tech demo.

That has to reference the 720 and PS4 since the Wii-U isn't running the tech.

But that's exactly what's going to happen?

I believe you.

Either way, i think people are taking this PC will be more powerful than consoles (which has always been the case) to seriously. Yes, when PS4720 is released there will be PC's thats x times better. But i still think we will be blown away at the improvement from these new consoles.

PC's being better never botherd me. It's the consoles thats mostly taken advantage of anyway.

Agreed?

Isn't FFXIV running on the Crystal Tools engine? I wonder if they could port that over the Wii-U since the PC version would support DX10/11 features, right?

That has to reference the 720 and PS4 since the Wii-U isn't running the tech.
I believe I read that their new engine will be scalable though.

Edit: it was stated that it would be scalable to all platforms according to this article:
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/19712/square-enixs-luminous-engine-scalable-to-any-platform

StevieP

Banned
I believe you.

Either way, i think people are taking this PC will be more powerful than consoles (which has always been the case) to seriously. Yes, when PS4720 is released there will be PC's thats x times better. But i still think we will be blown away at the improvement from these new consoles.

PC's being better never botherd me. It's the consoles thats mostly taken advantage of anyway.

Agreed?

The architecture will be much closer to that of modern PCs than previous consoles were (hence my statement there, making for an easier analogous statement), but the improvements over this generation will be great. The increase in memory alone should produce better results in every respect (not just visually). Higher end PCs will also benefit from a greater baseline with respect to multiplatform titles. There are some folks expecting too much, that's all.

How long do you think they've been saying this? Recent stuff like the square demo are in public, so it feels like a last chance of influence - show us, tease us and we'll be expecting machines from Sony/MS that can deliver.nbut presumably they will have been lobbying for a while now - not sure whether major changes are possible this late in development, maybe a tweak here or there.

Exactly what I was getting at. It feels like one last push to get them to move the goal posts a little more.

KageMaru

I believe I read that their new engine will be scalable though.

Are you commenting on the first part of my post or second? =p

If first part, then great, they don't need to worry about Chrystal Tools and just use Luminous engine. I always question what developers mean when they say an engine is scalable. UE3 is on the iphone, but that engine isn't the same as what we see on the PS360.

Top Bottom