• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square's Ian Livingstone talks next-gen; hints at always-on, used game-blocking Xbox

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Supposedly they weren't at the conference because they weren't ready to show new (original) IP, and Sony was prioritising third parties who were.
I really question the sense of that decision. I mean sure, new IPs are something we all look forward to at the beginning of every generation, but in the spirit of generating buzz among journos and gamers, and derailing MS' reveal plans by a head start, none of what they showed can stack against the reveal of the next gen COD, BF, or AC (ignoring any pub's independent conference plans for the sake of making an example).

In other words: Come April, and MS decides to finally detail their future plans, including the confirmation of most of our fears, yet manage to reveal next gen sequels to high profile IPs, and thus end up coming on top in terms publicity/buzz/hype in the general public's eyes.

King Boo

no big loss to me. didn't get xbox, or 360. won't be getting this new system too.

although it does sound very similar to how steam works. so i guess this sucks for other people

B.O.O.M

Not that I can recall. That seems like a new detail as to how this would actually be achieved.

Exactly. I mean if it's not part of any previous rumors..how can it be that he is going by past rumors right? Sounds like he heard something within the industry itself

Zeal

Banned
MS seems to be doing absolutely everything wrong next-gen. I guess they decided to allow the Japanese game industry to make a much needed comeback and allow Sony to takeover for a decade or so. Nintendo's just a joke at this point, so what they do is just whatever to both companies.

Then we had rumors that Apple was going to launch a powerhouse console and that Steambox was going to take over (lol). Yeah, sure.

I think Sony might have this one in the bag.

hokey1

What if they released a subscription based xbox? $149 upfront and $29.99 a month after that? For your 30 bucks you get xbox live, xbox music and a ps+ type game library? Also some of that 30 a month goes towards some sort of built in data plan through a major cell phone company.

It would be a little cheaper if you used your own internet. This way it is always connected even if you have no internet. My guess is that if you do not have either cell coverage or internet in your house Microsoft will not be worried about not having your business.

Think Ipad, The last estimate I saw said 22 million sold last quarter alone. It is a device with no used games and needs an internet connection. The next xbox could be very successful with 10% of that business. And if they convert 10% of used game marketplace to buying new every publisher will be their new best friend.

Eusis

Not that I can recall. That seems like a new detail as to how this would actually be achieved.
As an aside, if THIS is how they achieve it and they don't bind games to an account to be redownloaded as you wish then they're even further down the hole in my eyes. There's supposed to be something of a trade off here, not just screwing us over in the fear of losing money.

Acorn

If true, then I will not be purchasing the nextbox. I buy all my games new, very occasionally trading in duds for store credit. It wouldn't really affect me financially but I won't be party to further erosion of consumer rights.

I can't think of another entertainment industry so hell-bent on pissing off its users. If they do this I hope the Xbox division folds.

If MS follows through with internet required + cd key like system, they will lose a lot of sales. They simply cannot do this because Sony isn't doing this.
Internet required + cd key + Xbox live for MP vs no internet required + used games ok + free mp would be a disaster for MS once word of mouth spreads the news.

Don't be a fool MS. The 3rd console is always doomed by the manufacturers bad decisions. n64 carts, ps3 cell bluray costs, now Xbox 720 online/no used?

MS seems to be doing absolutely everything wrong next-gen. I guess they decided to allow the Japanese game industry to make a much needed comeback and allow Sony to takeover for a decade or so. Nintendo's just a joke at this point, so what they do is just whatever to both companies.

Then we had rumors that Apple was going to launch a powerhouse console and that Steambox was going to take over (lol). Yeah, sure.

I think Sony might have this one in the bag.
Third console curse. None have escaped

I can't think of another entertainment industry so hell-bent on pissing off its users. If they do this I hope the Xbox division folds.

Think of other industries that are currently in turmoil. You'll find that those industries are behaving in ways not necessarily favoring the consumer. Survival is more important than the consumer's every need.

Acorn

If MS follows through with internet required + cd key like system, they will lose a lot of sales. They simply cannot do this because Sony isn't doing this.
Internet required + cd key + Xbox live for MP vs no inI fearternet required + used games ok + free mp would be a disaster for MS once word of mouth spreads the news.

Don't be a fool MS. The 3rd console is always doomed by the manufacturers bad decisions. n64 carts, ps3 cell bluray costs, now Xbox 720 online/no used?

I fear they would be successful, people don't seem to care about their rights anymore.

lord

anything could happed maybe PS4 will be ahead of xbox next gen thanks to informed customers who refuse draconian measures on their physical media. Maybe third parties refuse to support the platform that is less friendly to their request (and by consequence more anti consumer). Or it does not matter at all and it's an irrelevancy to platform purchases decision next gen, people seem to be happy with digital games on PC (steam sales i know).

If they do it though, it should be locked to an account not to a console, locking to hardware would be Nintendo levels of backwards thinking, I doubt MS would do that.

I fear they would be successful, people don't seem to care about their rights anymore.

While there's a surprising number of "I personally don't buy used/swap/borrow/trade, so it doesn't matter" posts on Gaf, I'm pretty sure there are enough people out there willing to change their purchasing decisions based on this feature. Especially if there is a clear alternative presented.

JJD

President of Eidos doesn't comment on rumors, he knows the facts. He's still using the word 'supposedly' because he can't make announcements in Microsoft's place.

EDGE didn't pull the story out of their ass. There is obviously something there.

People arguing that MS won't do this are simply in denial.

That said, MS can easily change their stance on this until the launch date. Specially if you consider that Sony confirmed that the PS4 won't block used sales.

Depending on how they approach blocking used games there is no hardware needed for that "feature" so they can toggle it on or off close to the last minute.

I believe that blocking used games sales is on MS plans, and they want to implement it, but they might give up on it considering consumer and retailers reaction and the fact that their biggest rival isn't doing it.

Haha, yeah and then they will bitch mimi tablets mimi smartphones and of course won`t concede that they just offered a bad and unappealing product.

The same for the publishers... mimi no one buys AAA games anymore mimi..... yeah, maybe - but only maybe - people would still buy those games without all those anti consumer stuff like activation codes, online passes, micro transactions, dlc rip offs, always online drm and anti used game mechanics in place?!

Acorn

While there's a surprising number of "I personally don't buy used/swap/borrow/trade, so it doesn't matter" posts on Gaf, I'm pretty sure there are enough people out there willing to change their purchasing decisions based on this feature. Especially if there is a clear alternative presented.

The general consumer probably cares even less than the average gaf member.

I hope I'm being overly cynical.

Edit : If nothing else this could prove an interesting case study for how much you can take from the consumer before they bite.

Spongebob

Banned
They called you out for being a troll. You also said the PS4 was going to be a disaster. Your post history is visible. Your meltdowns every time a rumor is stated are epic.
With Durango, I think things are evolving past the rumor stage.

We've now had multiple sources confirming:

-No used games
-Always online
-Mandatory Kinect

RibMan

MS seems to be doing absolutely everything wrong next-gen. I guess they decided to allow the Japanese game industry to make a much needed comeback and allow Sony to takeover for a decade or so.

Cause it looks to me like they are just giving it away.

When you think about it, the markets that would be impacted by an always-online system are the markets with the lowest Xbox Live subscription numbers. Japan and large parts of Europe would fall under this category.

As ridiculous as this sounds, Microsoft may have crunched some numbers and realized that they can afford to lose the Japanese/European markets for the sake of 'winning' the North American market. It's a big risk, but it's a risk that I can see Microsoft taking if they see dominance in NA as a result.

According to Jeff Gerstmann of Giantbomb, the "behind-the-scenes" developer talk isn't very positive on Durango. Apparently Microsoft have become increasingly difficult to work with, reminiscent of a pre-PS3 Sony. I don't think Microsoft can afford to lose developer support.

Spongebob

Banned
When you think about it, the markets that would be impacted by an always-online system are the markets with the lowest Xbox Live subscription numbers. Japan and large parts of Europe would fall under this category.

As ridiculous as this sounds, Microsoft may have crunched some numbers and realized that they can afford to lose the Japanese/European markets for the sake of 'winning' the North American market. It's a big risk, but it's a risk that I can see Microsoft taking if they see dominance in NA as a result.

According to Jeff Gerstmann of Giantbomb, the "behind-the-scenes" developer talk isn't very positive on Durango. Apparently Microsoft have become increasingly difficult to work with, reminiscent of a pre-PS3 Sony. I don't think Microsoft can afford to lose developer support.

It seems that they're getting quite cocky...3rd console curse confirmed.

Link?

Karak

VERY interesting. Where is the info on that?

B.O.O.M

Could you tell me when/where Jeff said so? Would like to give it a listen

You gotta respect the arrogance of the company if this actually turns out to be true, but their stock is gonna tank when these things are sitting on shelves with no one buying.

So yeah, good luck MS.

Man, microsoft can not go through with that watermark crap. It will really screw them up, it's bad enough that people have to pay for live to use netflix, play online games and such.

What if it means NeXtbox games are £10/$15 cheaper than their PS4 equivalents? Without some kind of clear incentive to consumers, they're bright enough to realise that would be a huge negative against buying the next Xbox. Also, there has to be something in it for Microsoft too - this demand has always come from third parties. They're not going to be the only console to cave in to this without wanting something from them in return.

Linkified

Maybe that's how Sony is going to do it for used games, as soon as you buy your new copy of the game, it'll register with your account/console. If you sell it to gamestop and someone else buys it, that copy will already have been registered and you will be required to go online and get a fresh new activation copy. If you won't need to be online to verify that the copy is not new, then maybe part of the disc is RW? I'm not sure how they would do it if you can be offline. Otherwise a game like Skyrim, or people that never play online games, would be able to bypass this, and I'm not sure Sony wants that.

MS seems like they will just block used games altogether and if your 720 is not online, you won't be able to play anything.

Seems like Sony and MS will just have different strategies to achieve the same ultimate goal of pleasing publishers (and themselves as well).

It could be that they will force Gamestop/Game to buy a machine in the back and make the stores eat the cost of used sales I would imagine. In other words the margin on used games becomes less desireable for Game/Gamestop to stock.

Possibly they could do something on the customer interface as well, whereby you can keep the license and buy a new license for the disk or even give up the license for the disk full stop so it doesn't cost you anything extra if your trading on Ebay?

Eusis

On the other hand people tend to care about price and convenience, and being told they always have to buy those $60(+?) games new is probably going to be a huge deal breaker, or if they see they can't share between friends and family easily. And I thought Sony could've gotten away with even that ridiculous price tag this gen, but that tanked catastrophically for them.

Of course a lot of people may be straight up ignorant, but it's possible even after a strong start it rapidly corrodes as people discover these problems and ditch the system, or even return it because of internet connection headaches. Also, I personally suspect that if the mainstream really does give a damn about this, it will hit way, way harder than sticking with carts for N64 or PS3's crap. On both ends the biggest problems were with the developer side, we may not have liked higher prices on N64 games, or PS3 just being really damn expensive, but PS3's Cell was a pain in the ass to work with, and the N64 not only had severely limited space due to carts but ALSO was a pain to work with. Here, it sounds like the system would actually probably be easy to work with even if they can't utilize all its power, but they'll have to deal with Microsoft (probably more a problem for indies), and we'd have a serious deal breaker problem for consumers.

Bsigg12

I don't think this guy knows any more than any of us about this particular subject. MS may not even have decided 100%.

Was just about to say this. He literally knows as much as we do. He probably hops on GAF and sees these rumors. Honestly, until Microsoft unveils the system or a legitimate product sheet leaks for the Durango, we are left with the same rumors circulating every where.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, lets say MS goes through with this and Sony doesn't.

Won't publishers/developers TRY to make the Xbox "win"? Maybe not every developer, but lets say Bethesda wants used games to die. If they want used games to die, they can put a timed exclusive on their next game, maybe just full out exclusive for the 720. Then Activision also wants it to die. So they put the next Cod title as exclusive on the 720.

So now PS4 doesn't have a couple of games. Joe-Shmoe sees the 720 has all these amazing games which the PS4 doesn't. So he buys the 720. PS4 can't compete because blockbuster titles are coming out for the 720 and not the PS4.

Yeah, Neogaf would have a shitstorm.

But does Neogaf matter in the grand scheme of things?

Only saving grace for the PS4 in that scenario would be if Gamestop, hurt by the death of used games on the 720, decides that "fuck it, we are not going to sell 720 games at all", and really push the PS4. Not sure if they would do that, or if Gamestop has the clout to sway the console wars.

I'm assuming used games are Gamestops bread and butter and would be on the verge of death if they lost that.

This would make my purchase decision much easier.

For the sake of a competitive market I really hope this isn't true.

So far all Durango rumours don't sound promising.

Only saving grace for the PS4 in that scenario would be if Gamestop, hurt by the death of used games on the 720, decides that "fuck it, we are not going to sell 720 games at all", and really push the PS4. Not sure if they would do that, or if Gamestop has the clout to sway the console wars.

I'm assuming used games are Gamestops bread and butter and would be on the verge of death if they lost that.

And yet these companies quite happily sell iPods and iPads.

Piggus

Ok, lets say MS goes through with this and Sony doesn't.

Won't publishers/developers TRY to make the Xbox "win"? Maybe not every developer, but lets say Bethesda wants used games to die. If they want used games to die, they can put a timed exclusive on their next game, maybe just full out exclusive for the 720. Then Activision also wants it to die. So they put the next Cod title as exclusive on the 720.

So now PS4 doesn't have a couple of games. Joe-Shmoe sees the 720 has all these amazing games which the PS4 doesn't. So he buys the 720. PS4 can't compete because blockbuster titles are coming out for the 720 and not the PS4.

Yeah, Neogaf would have a shitstorm.

But does Neogaf matter in the grand scheme of things?

Why would they even do that? They'd lose a lot more potential sales by not selling the game on PS4 than they would from used game sales.

Top Bottom