• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT17| We Flew Out Members To Make This OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey look on the bright side, PCs are going to have amazing controllers next gen

xbox one controller looks like shit compared to the 360 one. man this is a disappointing reveal. ugly controller,kinect needs to be connected for the system to function,ram and gpu is worse than ps4. i'll stick with PC.

Obscured

Since there is no backwards compatibility, makes me wonder if there is going to be any xbox one versions of current games - Halo 4?

It is about what I expected, the entertainment experience is what MS has been pushing for a while. It will be interesting to see what specifics end up being regarding everything and how live subscriptions end up working. I wonder if a family pass would end up making that install per user less bothersome, I could see that riling up people quite a bit.

Well that was a massive flop.

The controller looks awesome and everything else was boring... Why not show actual gameplay or a live demo? I feel like this new trend of having conferences before E3 is not that great. You can tell they have more to show but they are just holding off for E3, this just ended up causing a poor showing at the system unveiling.

I like the new box. The Kinect stuff looks pretty awesome. I'd certainly benefit from havig Skype with a decent camera.

Curious about the Halo TV thing but I dunno if the series needs more fluff without a proper game behind it. I wanna see how many of those fetures would work out of the box at launch.

Looking forward to capturing stuff in games now. Switching between Youtube and being in a Halo lobby would be pretty handy too.

Nebula

Yeah, for sure.

Funny, MS said this conference would be more about the hardware and entertainment and E3 would be all games, but people are still having meltdowns...

I'm down for a Halo TV series with Spielberg too.

Yeah I heard this as well. Tons of hate on the twitter over no gameplay.

Omni

It's so weird to watch that reveal and be rather excited about the new Xbox and then to come here and see 99% of people bitch about it (the gaming section). I guess GAF tends to stray towards pro-Sony when it comes to consoles for some reason, but still.

If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone write a comment like "Xbox is dead", "I'm done with gaming", "That was terrible"...

JackHerer

So COD unveils an insane trailer of their next-gen game and Halo debuts Spielbergo's face talking about a tv show.

great.

COD as meh for me. It really did not look that great visually and none of their "gameplay innovations" sounded like actual innovations.

TV features were really cool, and I actually liked how the OS worked with Kinect.
But they really lost me at the gaming machine.
I hardly care about madden/fifa/nfl/nba 14. COD looks like COD.

I cannot believe they mentioned Halo without talking about the accompanying game.

Pop

Since there is no backwards compatibility, makes me wonder if there is going to be any xbox one versions of current games - Halo 4?

It is about what I expected, the entertainment experience is what MS has been pushing for a while. It will be interesting to see what specifics end up being regarding everything and how live subscriptions end up working. I wonder if a family pass would end up making that install per user less bothersome, I could see that riling up people quite a bit.

What?? No backwards compatibility? Say it ain't so

Still having to pay a monthly fee for Xbox One family home entertainment system...

sigh

Hey look on the bright side, PCs are going to have amazing controllers next gen

xbox one controller looks like shit compared to the 360 one. man this is a disappointing reveal. ugly controller,kinect needs to be connected for the system to function,ram and gpu is worse than ps4. i'll stick with PC.

Obscured

What?? No backwards compatibility? Say it ain't so

Still having to pay a monthly fee for Xbox One family home entertainment system...

sigh

That is what is being said so far. There was that rumor about an xbox mini attachment that would allow for backward compatibility (I think that was from Thurrott), so maybe there will be something more to be revealed, but at this point nothing confirmed or even mentioned that I've come across.

Edit: from a Verge article

"But while Sony is promising that PlayStation 4 users will indeed be able to play PlayStation 3 games at some point, by streaming them from the cloud, Microsoft is not promising any such thing for Xbox One. When we specifically asked Whitten whether the company had any streaming option or download option for existing Xbox 360 games for the Xbox One, he confirmed that there was no such thing in the works at Microsoft.

Microsoft does, however, plan to keep selling the Xbox 360 alongside the new console for the foreseeable future. "This isn't about getting rid of the Xbox 360," Whitten said. Perhaps the lack of backwards compatibility will be good for business there."

Slated as predicted. They deserve the hate right now, but they knew (I bet Frankie did anyway) what the gamer community reaction was going to be.

But we'll all be watching at E3 and see said games, and buy their darn system.

It's ultimately a shitty way to be regarded/treated, and what Sony didn't do (this time).

CyReN

So Frank, Ellis. How will you make Halo 4 work on the One? Halo 4 One?

I hate to say this but with the population going down every month it won't really matter by the time it's released this fall.

-----
I liked the system overall, just need games I want to play to be announced/shown. HaloTV is interesting, could be good like Band of Brothers or fall short.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
DtkdMMO.gif

wwm0nkey

With all the stuff coming out of the conference that was said afterwords....I dont even know if Halo 2 Anniversary could get me to buy a Xbox One.

Mix

Yeah, for sure.

Funny, MS said this conference would be more about the hardware and entertainment and E3 would be all games, but people are still having meltdowns...

I'm down for a Halo TV series with Spielberg too.
I have the same mind set. A halo show with Spielberg behind it sounds great.

Obscured

Anyone gonna buy this thing?

Still planning on it. Cost will have a big factor on the timing of that purchase though. Same thing with the PS4. Release date, purchase price, games, and availability and completeness of services will determine when I pick up the two systems and in which order.

Booshka

So glad I just a built a beastly gaming PC that will last me 5+ years, I am gonna wait a while on the next gen consoles until they drop in price and have a bunch of games I want to play that are exclusive to the system.

That Xbox conference was boring as hell.

Kinect required really bothers me, no backwards compatibility isn't surprising, but the way used games will be handled is insane. I guess it's gonna be tough for my friend and I to go back and forth buying different games and sharing them back and forth.

Pop

So glad I just a built a beastly gaming PC that will last me 5+ years, I am gonna wait a while on the next gen consoles until they drop in price and have a bunch of games I want to play that are exclusive to the system.

That Xbox conference was boring as hell.

Kinect required really bothers me, no backwards compatibility isn't surprising, but the way used games will be handled is insane. I guess it's gonna be tough for my friend and I to go back and forth buying different games and sharing them back and forth.

I can't believe it...

TCKaos

All I got from this reveal is "We want the Price is Right audience."

Nothing new or innovative about games, here. Capture and editing is cool, but to be expected since Sony revealed it in the PS4 conference. That's literally it. More EA games that look like all the other EA games and CAWADOOTY games that look like all the other CAWADOOTY games.

zap

Perhaps most intriguing, however, is that Xbox One gives game developers the ability to access Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing platform. That leads to a few obvious and immediate applications: All your downloaded and installed games and achievements are synced to the cloud and can be accessed and played without interruption on any Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

DEDIS FOR EVERYONE!

Trey

Double the framerate, halve the userbase.

I wonder how the fact that 343 will now have to "win back" the fan base, so to speak, will affect their design philosophy going forward.

I know about their desire to make the game more accessible or whatever, but that doesn't really acknowledge the kind of position they're now in.

willow ve

So 300,000 servers will run Xbox One Live. That really means Halo 5 has dedicated servers. Right? RIGHT?

Other than that the conference was largely what I expected it to be. My thoughts on the reveal:

-------

New D-Pad sounds nice. (Wired has a lot of shots of the controller - looks nice)
Kinect 2.0 comes with every console - You get a Kinect, you get a Kinect, You ALL GET A Kinect (Oprah.gif)

Blu Ray drive. (glad they went with a standard format)

Halo gets a TV series without a date or any other teaser
COD gets a new game with a trailer that was good enough that I would watch it if it were a TV series.

No backwards compatibility with 360 games.
Games must be installed. Also, games will have a fee to install used (possibly full retail).
Hard drive is only 500 GB (seems too small for mandatory installs of Blu Ray)

There are multiple apps involved with Xbox One - although only Skype, IE, and live television were talked about (input only through HDMI In on the Xbox One - you'll still need your cable box and OTA signals are off the table).

No price and an ambiguous "this year" release date.

E3 will showcase more of the gaming side. Should be a memorable E3 for once.

No mention was made of XBLA games or Indie games (assume they're a given?).

-------

At this point I can't say that I'll be preordering a Xbox One. (Doubly cautious as no one has any pictures of a power cord/brick/generator - I kid I kid). Once some games come out that I'm actually interested in (Halo 5? ODST2? H2A-HD?) I'll start looking for a deal on the console.

Shadders

Saying on the IGN stream that there will be "a fee" to play a game on more than one account, even on the same console.

You have two kids who both play Skylanders? Better get ready to pay a fee for the second one to play?

What are they thinking?

It seems like XBO is going to solve the 2nd account cheater problem, so will the next Halo game have meaningful in-game ranks right from the start?

willow ve

It's all for the services. Halo will remain p2p, lowest common denominator gaming.

From the Wired exclusive in depth article - http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

Perhaps most intriguing, however, is that Xbox One gives game developers the ability to access Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing platform. That leads to a few obvious and immediate applications: All your downloaded and installed games and achievements are synced to the cloud and can be accessed and played without interruption on any Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.

So you're telling me there's a chance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom