• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT17| We Flew Out Members To Make This OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Well I'm excited for the new box. The snap two apps thing makes a lot of sense on a console compared to a Win8 PC and has some cool ramifications. Hope we get lots of demo time with their new games at E3 though.

To all the people bitching about the TV stuff; I'd hazard to guess there are many, many people out there like me who don't watch broadcast, don't want to get screwed by cable companies for the glory of channels we don't watch, dont want a Tivo and subsequently don't see stuff if it's not on Netflix and Hulu. Microsoft seems intent on breaking the cable monopoly and offering content by channel, which is a good thing, especially when they're adding more value to Live.

The game capture stuff sounds interesting too, will be interesting to see how the implementations differ between PS4 and Xbox.

I kind of like the VCR aesthetic for its retro look, but I imagine the Slim two or three years down will probably look better for not taking up so much space. It's just slightly too boxy for its size. New controller looks a little odd but I think that's how they broke out the triggers from the front.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Basically fits with my "However" comment. Completely agree.

You have to look at a presentation as an accurate representation. Look at it like a job interview. You wouldn't hold back great qualities about yourself at an interview. Microsoft had all their chips on this presentation, every salaried employee that was tasked with assembling the best possible arrangement. People have probably been paid twice as much if not more as you just to sit there and write the script for this broadcasted event. New console. New generation.

TV.

Skype.

Kinect.

Dogs.

Fantasy football.

Halo tv show.

Thank you tune into E3 for more.

Karl2177

BTB could maybe handle 32 players if it was bigger maps. But then the game has bigger maps which ruins every other mode.

That's definitely part of it. Another big thing is something that Havok brought up a while ago, which was that if you get any more players they feel less like a hero.

The Snap feature could be useful for a Browser and a Game or Twitch App and Halo so i could see what buddies are doing on my team who stream.

Risen

I don't want interactive TV, I want to view great programming. I don't want cross device play, voice commands, or Kinect in all it's technical glory... I want great games. Sure, the tech is awesome, and hardware strong, but I can't say I care if it's used for what is essentially the next step in Social Media when what I want is simply to play great games, or simply enjoy a great movie/TV show.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I don't want interactive TV, I want to view great programming. I don't want cross device play, voice commands, or Kinect in all it's technical glory... I want great games. Sure, the tech is awesome, and hardware strong, but I can't say I care if it's used for what is essentially the next step in Social Media when what I want is simply to play great games, or simply enjoy a great movie/TV show.

Can you even say that though? I wish we knew

Fuchsdh

That's definitely part of it. Another big thing is something that Havok brought up a while ago, which was that if you get any more players they feel less like a hero.

Yeah I personally doubt Halo will go with 32 or 64 players (I could say up to 20 so that you had 4 teams of 5 or 2 teams of 10, but that's the limit.) It just fractures the play experiences you can provide; 32 players is a far different game from 8. That said, I'm hopeful this means we get really good massive player base games for the consoles; what was that PS3 game that was supposed to support 256 people?

There is no fucking way that was a typo when the article said: "for a fee".

Having that fixed would make it "for a free", either they're pack pedaling like hell or the writer of that article doesn't know to re-read an article before it goes live.

Have you met modern journalists? Of course they could royally screw up auto transcripts or rush jobs to be the first person to get ghits.

Woorloog

Banned

Since it seems the leaked specs were right, Xbox One is somewhat weaker than PS4.
Seems to have less memory for games though not sure.

Not sure if that's "awesome".
Though, at least it is better than Wii U.

Xbox One is sweet. Looking forward to picking one up. I wonder what those 15 MS games are... I suppose 2 of them are Forza 5 and Quantum whatever.

DeadNames

Banned

I agree.

This whole TV REVOLUTION SHIT WAS SO HARD BACK IN THE DAYS WITH HANDS is bullshit.

I want a fucking GAME console, not a TV.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Since it seems the leaked specs were right, Xbox One is somewhat weaker than PS4.
Seems to have less memory for games though not sure.

Not sure if that's "awesome".
Though, at least it is better than Wii U.

Not a great selling point to existing 360 or PS3 owners.

Risen

I guess my point is... their bullet points mostly weren't for me. I'm not saying there won't be great games, or won't be great programming - but if their bullet points were for me, they would have shown me a tease of great programming, and great games.

The CoD stuff was pretty nice to see, and that's the closest portion of the presentation to my heart as a gamer.

But I'd trade all the smart glass integration, new Kinect, interaction in TV programming, real time fantasy sports, and the entirety of the social media experience for one... just one... kick ass game.

Is it fair to assume lead development for Destiny will be on the Xbox 360 / One? That might be one of the few things drawing me away from PS4.
No, I wouldn't call that a safe assumption.
They're showing it at E3 so depending on what system it's showing on and what they say when asked, we might get a better idea.

Will 64v64 be the new 4v4 for Halo?
Think of all the Personal Ordnance! Oh, Kevin Franklin must have an infinite boner with that thought.

You're a dinosaur, and the XBO is your extinction.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I guess my point is... their bullet points mostly weren't for me. I'm not saying there won't be great games, or won't be great programming - but if their bullet points were for me, they would have shown me a tease of great programming, and great games.

The CoD stuff was pretty nice to see, and that's the closest portion of the presentation to my heart as a gamer.

But I'd trade all the smart glass integration, new Kinect, interaction in TV programming, real time fantasy sports, and the entirety of the social media experience for one... just one... kick ass game.

I would agree with you. And I guess that's why I'm worried. I am obviously a 360 owner, a Halo fanatic, and a general gaming enthusiast. And anyone who fits those categories would be scared shitless because even if the PS4 becomes the premier gaming platform (which, comparing conferences apples to apples, Sony wins gaming) It's going to make gamers suffer because third party titles aren't going to evolve as they did in the past.

Maybe we'll see something new. Maybe a new single platform console vs. PC market. Could be great for both as far as the hardcore audience goes.

But w/e I'm buzzed and ranting.

They were pretty clear up front that today was mostly focusing on the box and platform, whereas e3 will be for the games.

They showed a new Remedy title, and confirmed Forza 5 for launch, as well as 15 titles Year 1, with 8 being new IP (to focus on at e3). They announced a partnership of some sort with EA Sports, bringing FIFA, NBA, Madden, and UFC games Year 1. Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, AC4 and CoD Ghosts (along with the tried and true DLC period) and Destiny were all confirmed today for Xbox One.

There's plenty of games to play... and that's not the last we've heard, it's only the beginning. I'm excited, don't know what the fuck everyone's all pissed off about.

I think I'm gonna take a different approach into this next-gen... I'm gonna hold off on getting the new consoles for a year and decide which one to get at that point. That way I don't have to suffer through bad launch titles until the good games come out.

Woorloog

Banned
They started working on the 360 I guess. Isn't the Engine based on the Reach engine?

I understood it has based somewhat on Halo engine but it is mostly overhauled, the game is after all quite different in scope.
Also has to have multiplat support, which will change it, no?

Booshka

I think I'm gonna take a different approach into this next-gen... I'm gonna hold off on getting the new consoles for a year and decide which one to get at that point. That way I don't have to suffer through bad launch titles until the good games come out.

Glad that Dark Souls 2 is coming out late this year or early next year. I'll just play that on 360 or PC until all this next gen nonsense is sorted out. So much confusion going on.

Risen

They were pretty clear up front that today was mostly focusing on the box and platform, whereas e3 will be for the games.

They showed a new Remedy title, and confirmed Forza 5 for launch, as well as 15 titles Year 1, with 8 being new IP (to focus on at e3). They announced a partnership of some sort with EA Sports, bringing FIFA, NBA, Madden, and UFC games Year 1. Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, AC4 and CoD Ghosts (along with the tried and true DLC period) and Destiny were all confirmed today for Xbox One.

There's plenty of games to play... and that's not the last we've heard, it's only the beginning. I'm excited, don't know what the fuck everyone's all pissed off about.

Do you understand the words you quoted? I'm certainly not pissed in any way, nor did I say there were few games, crappy games, or would never be either.

I get the presentation... the what's and why's behind it... and,

I'm underwhelmed.

I am not the target audience for the bells and whistles being hawked in the presentation.

As Squiddy said above, I am a dinosaur, and one who finds little substance in the evolution of social media that was presented.

I do not see any point to buy a console at launch. I don't expect the launch title to be incredible interesting. (Except Microsoft is announcing a Jump'n'Run Banjo)

I love Halo. So I will get a Xbox One at some point. I expect when Destiny comes out in 2014, but friends will play a big role in the decision. At the moment I disliking a lot of things about the Xbox One. Mainly the fact that I can't borrow a game from a friend anymore.

Man, the confusion over the second hard/ownership features is crazy. So much conflicting information.

I'm sure the system is fine, really, and the exclusives will mostly be great but this reveal.. for who did it excite and leave a good taste in their mouth? Just bungled.

I need a 1up Yours poolside cast, right now.

Shadders

For those who haven't seen, Eurogamer spoke to Phil Harrison who said there would be "a fee" for your friends to use your game and that they have a "solution" for used games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-second-hand-games-will-charge-a-fee-to-play

Update 2: Our man on the ground Tom Bramwell was able to speak to corporate vice president of Microsoft Phil Harrison about this hot-button issue and was able to confirm that a second user can install a game from a friend's disc for a fee, though it's unclear how much this will be. Harrison also confirmed that several users sharing a console can access the same game at no additional charge, and Microsoft has "a solution" for the resale market, though it's staying mum on those for now.

I imagine Phil Harrison has got a better idea of what's what that whoever is manning the Xbox Support #3 Twitter account..

The "fee" is the full price of the game?

KuGsj.gif

Let's start guessing who's going to play Commander Sarah Palmer on the new TV show! I can just hear all the aspiring actresses in the hallway of casting muttering variations of "egghead" to themselves.

I'll start. Anna Gunn would be perfect, because godDAMN do I hate her character on Breaking Bad.

I do not see any point to buy a console at launch. I don't expect the launch title to be incredible interesting. (Except Microsoft is announcing a Jump'n'Run Banjo)

I love Halo. So I will get a Xbox One at some point. I expect when Destiny comes out in 2014, but friends will play a big role in the decision. At the moment I disliking a lot of things about the Xbox One. Mainly the fact that I can't borrow a game from a friend anymore.

My general rule for when to purchase a console is the when the first game comes out that you really want to play on that platform.

For this generation, that could come pretty quick for me with BF4, which will obviously be a totally different game on the next gen consoles compared to the 360/PS3.

For those who haven't seen, Eurogamer spoke to Phil Harrison who said there would be "a fee" for your friends to use your game and that they have a "solution" for used games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-second-hand-games-will-charge-a-fee-to-play

I imagine Phil Harrison has got a better idea of what's what that whoever is manning the Xbox Support #3 Twitter account..

That's a little bit better (for multiple profile on the one box users).

Aren't they just customer support reps? Surely the company VPs at their HQ are going to have a better idea of what the plan is?

They are amazing most of the time. Some of the best support iv ever seen from a company. Normally they are well informed. Time will tell.

DeadNames

Banned
Maybe it's just a hivemind of Microsoft and all of it's branches to have PR that only gets worse.

Halo 4 eventually more and more unlike Halo, and the Xbox One is following the same trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom