• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge 8: - SUPER HEXAGON - "You're Already Dead"

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
i6mPod5muv6Zr.png

Challenge's Timeframe:

Starts June 28, 06:01 (PM) GMT [ IT'S OVER!]
Ends: July 5, 23:45 (PM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time

IT'S OVER! and we had fun, right? :)
~Congrats to gaffer The_Darkest_Red for winning the competition!

iQDbXimOncT39.png

Click here for the FULL Final Results - 72 participants

Countdown to the End of the challenge:
t1373068500z0.png

•
TWITTER: @GAF_iOS_scores #GAFiOSchallenge
We will use Twitter to regularly post news about the challenge, screenshots of the submitted highscores, updates about the current top 25, hints to improve, prizes..Follow us!

•
It's finally that time again!
Following the smashing success of past competitions, after a year-long hiatus it's back...
NEW GAF's iOS WEEKLY CHALLENGE!

It's not at all forbidden to post about the challenge in the iOS Gaming |OT|ike we did in the past, but this specific thread is here with the purpose to avoid the flood of posts sinking all others for a whole week in the TG's thread.
We also have prizes, plenty of awesome goods for you guys to earn!
If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, just CONTACT ME via PM.
Check below for all the infos.

ibrPwjEsMV3Qg5.png

Chosen Game

• SUPER HEXAGON

Specific conditions/game modes

• GAME MODE: Hexagon

c3fhBfz.jpg

FJJlB9q.jpg

"A Masterpiece of Design Purity" - Edge: NINE out of TEN

-Super Hexagon on iTunes
(Universal App, $2.99/€2.79/£2.29
WLca6Yp.jpg

Developed by: Terry Cavanagh (VVVVVV)
Music By: Chipzel
Super Hexagon OST for purchase/listening: http://chipzelmusic.bandcamp.com/album/super-hexagon-ep
Site: http://superhexagon.com/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz0mI_6tLQ&feature=player_embedded
Super Hexagon |OT| by Wario64 (thanks!)

Super Hexagon is a twitchy arcade style game where you navigate a triangle clockwise or counter-clockwise around a hexagon while avoiding obstacles. It's much better than it sounds on paper, the soundtrack is killer and the game is the brain child of Indie's darling Terry Canavagh (of VVVVV's fame).

Try out Hexagon for free (Flash required): http://distractionware.com/games/flash/hexagon/
Gameplay video of 'Hexagon' (not the iPhone version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1celNlGu78

mzl.qmdcvcnb.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.lqldmvro.480x480-75.jpg

Rules
  • To participate you just need the game and to add Dash Kappei on Game Center: (Dash Kappei GAF). As soon as you fire up the game and play it for the first time while being signed in to Game Center, you'll be part of the Challenge. That's it.
    Add "From GAF" and your nickname on GAF in your request or Dash Kappei won't add you to friends.
  • If you're already my friend on Game Center (Dash Kappei GAF) all you've gotta do is to play the game oduring the competition!
  • Challenge organizer can participate but is not eligible for any prizes.
  • Screenshots of the TOP 20* scores (TBD) will be posted in this specific post and in the specific GAF's iOS Challenge threads that exist for the duration of the challenge, so DON'T add me on Game Center or at least don't compete in the weekly challenge if you don't want your real name to be shown.
    You can easily avoid your real name to appear if you follow the few simple steps on the FAQ Section of this thread's OP "How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?".
  • GAFers only, I won't accept requests from non-gaffers. Sorry lurkers.
  • Check the GAF GC members list handled by Dash Kappei if you want to add others, but being on the list isn't mandatory to play the iOS GAF Challenge. If you want to be on the list send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM following this exact text formatting:
    GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)
    When you add someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Scores are valid only for the "This Week" section on the Leadearboards and those scores made before the challenge won't be counted for the full final results, even if mistakenly counted during the challenge. Same for scores which don't appear properly at the end but were in fact achieved on time.
  • You can still enter the Challenge even if it has already started, granted that I can accept your GC friend request on time. You can join the contest at any time, even if there's an hour to go.
  • Posting your new scores in the monthly iOS thread is encouraged as well as posting your Game Center profile for others to check on your score when you do so. This is not at all mandatory anyway.
  • If you submit some ridiculousy good highscore you might be asked for proof: take an in-game screen (repeat: in-game and NOT of Game Center's own leaderboards) and post it in the challenge's thread when you die/loose and the game shows the score (grab a screenshot pushing the HOME + Power buttons at the same time). Failing to provide proof might even invalidate your score.
  • Prizes will be handled only via PM on GAF, so even if you, dear lurker, fool me the joke's on you
  • If you get caught cheating (messing with Game Center or similar scummy tactics) you can probably kiss your NeoGAF's account goodbye forever.

-
tVhsdgt.jpg

If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, or if you're a fellow Gaffer who wants to just throw something neat the way of our challenges, simply CONTACT ME via PM.
Just check out some of the past GAF Challenges below to get an idea on how it works out.

~

•You see, Gaffers are mostly awesome dudes and member Pray For Death is definitely amongst that kind! PFD decided to support the competition by putting up a $10 US iTunes card for the WINNER of the Challenge!
ar6SWUT.jpg

•Then you have our kind friends at PikPok and Sidhe who've sponsored so many times with cool swag that I don't know how to thank them anymore. They're offering the 4 Steam codes for Shatter:
BEjG5g8CUAAVqpO.jpg:large

...and also something at least as good as the game itself (which is great, btw): 4 codes for the OST. These prizes will go to the #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5 scores.

GLLHcHu.jpg

Support these kind gaffers, check out their games!

You can reach the pikpok gaffers at the Official Website and on Twitter @pikpokgames

•I will contributing to the prize pot myself with surprise Steam codes for beloved/overlooked/old/new Indie games. The number of prizes will be defined at the end of the contest.
Update:
#2 score will be awarded with Steam keys for: Thomas Was Alone and Anonaly Warzone Earth (+Shatter&OST)
#3 score will be awarded with a Steam key for: Capsized (+Shatter&OST)

iTxYv3xbjtKRd.png

NeoGaf's Game Center Master List

Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added to the list or taken off the list, following this EXACT same text formatting

GAF Name / Name [Game Center ] / iDevice(s)
(e.g. Dash Kappei / Dash Kappei GAF / iPad Mini)

There's a second page on tne GAF iOS Membership List spreadsheet which you can copy/past to Game Center to send friend requests in bulk (at the top click on "for adding to Game Center iOS/OSX).
Spreadsheet 2 is up to date as well.

Thanks to:
Tunesmith for the new sweet banner, the monthly iOS Gaming OTs which are a LOT of work and also for helping out with GAF's iOS List; to teamaxe for his past work.
Thanks to all the devs and publishers who have supported us in the past (PikPok, Beril, Simogo, Skybound... shoot me a pm if I've forgot to mention you, sorry about that!) and also of course to the GAF community as a whole but specifically to some members who have contributed to the prizes' pool (like Pray For Death, Wario 64, myself... again, contact me by pm if I've forgot to mention you!)

• HALL OF FAME •

custom_1238730989106_Life-street.jpg

Our former challenges

Tiny Wings ( March 8th to March 15th, 2013) - All scores, 85 participants- Winner: AngryMoth
Canabalt (Ended on p357 of |OT2|, w/o thread) - All Scores, 63 participants - Winner: Dynamite Ringo Matsuri
Mr. Ninja (August 1st to August 7th, 2011) - All Scores, 74 participants - Winner: Koodo
Flick Kick Football (August 16th to August 23rd, 2011) - All Scores, 109 participants - Winner: Numble
Hard Lines (September 1st to September 8th, 2011) - All Scores, 98 participants - Winner: -Pyromaniac-
Bit.Trip.Beat Blitz (September 29th to October 6th, 2011) - All Scores, 33 participants - Winner: Numble

• Tiny Wings / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 85 participants

Congratulations, AngryMoth!

iJdOkZqa8ha8h.png

• Canabalt / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 63 participants

Congratulations, Dynamite Ringo Matsuri aka Zazen_Incidents!

ibrS8TAsOXWgsG.png

• MR. Ninja / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 74 participants

Congratulations, Kodoo!

ijhFdh6M3fxaO.png

• Flick Kick Football / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 109 participants

Congratulations, numble!

ilCWvviI5nu2p.png

• Hard Lines / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 98 participants

Congratulations, -Pyromaniac-!

iLD9h4jArecmq.png

• Bit Trip Blitz / Final Results -All scores 33 participants (1 retired)

Congratulations, numble!

ibenBBeYVunYaq.png

Thanks to:
Tunesmith for the new sweet banners, TOP 10s and helping out with GAF's iOS List and the GAF Challenges; to teamaxe for his past work. Thanks to all the devs and publishers who have supported us in the past (PikPok, Beril, Simogo, Skybound... shoot me a pm if I've forgot to mention you, sorry about that!) and also of course to the GAF community as a whole but specifically to some members who have contributed to the prizes' pool (like Pray For Death, Wario 64, myself... again, contact me by pm if I've forgot to mention you -shame on me!-)

Dash Kappei

Let's do this!

Prizes aren't as grand as last time maybe, but I'm confident the game is too cool to not be a success.

And thanks to PRAY FOR DEATH!!!

For the second time in a row he donated $10 iTunes card, damn so kind of you mate!
And of course big props to our friends at Pikpok!

AngryMoth

Oh god. I knew it would be this game. My life is over for this week, it's soooo addictive and I know there are people on gaf with very high scores

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Let's just cut to the chase and declare Wario the winner. I don't think anyone short of Terry Cavanagh is gonna be able to compete with him. But I'll join in to pad out the bottom end of the leaderboard.

Dash Kappei

Wario64 will win. Why even try?

Because the game is awesome?
Also: Then don't.

Every score based game on iOS has some gaffer with an incredible score, I would know since I have more than 350 gaffers on my list, going by that we should never play.

We play for fun first and foremost, climbing that last spot make us proud even if it means placing #50 instead of #52 at the very last minute.

And he might very well win, but we'll see if there's no competition at all, plenty of people on previous contests won against all odds, I wouldn't rule them out so easily.
Tiny Wings had Wario sitting at the top for AGES and the first few days of the contest he seemed unreachable and then look who went to win the contest.

My two cents, of course.

Hope you have fun guys!

My times:

Hexagon: 440:42
Hexagoner: 285:17
Hexagonest: 250:44
Hyper Hexagon: 333:17
Hyper Hexagoner: 252:52
Hyper Hexagonest: 386:52

Let's dance.

Dash Kappei

Oh goddamn, here we go again...

READ THE RULES!

I WIILL NOT ACCEPT YOUR FRIEND REQUEST IF YOU DON'T STATE YOUR NEOGAF HANDLE IN THE MESSAGE.

edit: for example, who's KODEANDGAME and the other two dudes I gaven't accepted today? Post in here if you,re a gaffer. I won't come in here asking for names etc. again tho, you've been warned! :)

Because the game is awesome?
Also: Then don't.

Every score based game on iOS has some gaffer with an incredible score, I would know since I have more than 350 gaffers on my list, going by that we should never play.

We play for fun first and foremost, climbing that last spot make us proud even if it means placing #50 instead of #52 at the very last minute.

And he might very well win, but we'll see if there's no competition at all, plenty of people on previous contests won against all odds, I wouldn't rule them out so easily.
Tiny Wings had Wario sitting at the top for AGES and the first few days of the contest he seemed unreachable and then look who went to win the contest.

My two cents, of course.

Hope you have fun guys!

I was just joking.

READ THE RULES!

I WIILL NOT ACCEPT YOUR FRIEND REQUEST IF YOU DON'T STATE YOUR NEOGAF HANDLE IN THE MESSAGE.

edit: for example, who's KODEANDGAME and the other two dudes I gaven't accepted today? Post in here if you,re a gaffer. I won't come in here asking for names etc. again tho, you've been warned! :)
Ah, I just sent you a request a second ago and all I said was "from GAF." My name is the same here and there, though. Sorry!

READ THE RULES!

Sorry dude! Should have taken more care to read the rules. I'm KodeAndGame.

Dash Kappei

My times:

Hexagon: 440:42
Hexagoner: 285:17
Hexagonest: 250:44
Hyper Hexagon: 333:17
Hyper Hexagoner: 252:52
Hyper Hexagonest: 386:52

Let's dance.

Let's see what you will pull this week, past scores aren't valid of course.
Also, you haven't entered the contest, just saying'.

:p

Dash Kappei

Zia

Aw man, I've never participated in a challenge before and didn't realize it hadn't started yet. Put in a nice opener of about 275 seconds for naught. ; )

Dash Kappei

It never happened, and hopefully never will, but I think it's better to highlight this little snippet from the rules:

•If you submit some ridiculousy good highscore you might be asked for proof: take an in-game screen (repeat: in-game and NOT of Game Center's own leaderboards) and post it in the challenge's thread when you die/loose and the game shows the score (grab a screenshot pushing the HOME + Power buttons at the same time). Failing to provide proof might even invalidate your score.

•If you get caught cheating (messing with Game Center or similar scummy tactics) you can probably kiss your NeoGAF's account goodbye forever.

Dash Kappei

Hm. Even restarted and I haven't received the challenge.

?
There's no challenge to "receive"?
Don't know what you mean, but before I try and help you out please read the OP.
It's very straightforward, if something's not clear then ask me in here no problem.

Zia

?
There's no challenge to "receive"?
Don't know what you mean, but before I try and help you out please read the OP.
It's very straightforward, if something's not clear then ask me in here no problem.

I understand how it works. I haven't received a notification of any sort, hence why I didn't think it had begun.

Cth

Much like the other challenges I suck at these games :)

At least I know now that I can hold down instead of tapping.. Hopefully that'll help.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hmpf, I'm only 86 seconds on Hexagon, 19 seconds on hexagonest. Should I even bother? :p

I see Wario's got 248, but I guess he's been playing more on the steam version.

Will be cool to see which of our grandmasters win this though!

Edit: cool, got to 96 on second try. Haven't played Hexagon mode in a long time, just the harder levels

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but come fall we might not have the luxury of universal weekly leaderboards any longer. Daily/Weekly boards are currently removed in iOS 7 from what I can tell, with leaderboard-management shifted to developers directly to create/customise.

We'll see if they re-appear in future builds of the iOS 7 beta but as it stands, only the historical board which has all scores to date is available, in friends or all players breakdowns.

:/

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but come fall we might not have the luxury of universal weekly leaderboards any longer. Daily/Weekly boards are currently removed in iOS 7 from what I can tell, with leaderboard-management shifted to developers directly to create/customise.

We'll see if they re-appear in future builds of the iOS 7 beta but as it stands, only the historical board which has all scores to date is available, in friends or all players breakdowns.

iOS 7 is also in beta, dont be a debbie downer

Dash Kappei

I almost got to 13 seconds on Hexagonest. Watch out.

You probably know already and were just testing your skills, but remember guys the contest is only on HEXAGON mode.

Hmpf, I'm only 86 seconds on Hexagon, 19 seconds on hexagonest. Should I even bother? :p

I see Wario's got 248, but I guess he's been playing more on the steam version.

Will be cool to see which of our grandmasters win this though!

Edit: cool, got to 96 on second try. Haven't played Hexagon mode in a long time, just the harder levels

96 isn't bad at all, I wish I could go that high, lol :p

I'm still on 6, but isn't iOS7 still in early beta build?
Maybe it'll change, I'm actually pretty optimist about it :)

Dash Kappei

We just hit 20 participants! We're aiming for 80 by the end of the challenge, more than that it's all gravy!

As a sneak peak here's how the bottom 10 are looking like:

rneaJ9L.jpg

I guess this is a decent place to gloat that I finally beat Stage 6. Felt so good. It's crazy to think that a couple months ago, I struggled with stage 1.

I'd join you guys for the fun of it (and not win) if I had an iOS device. I was playing on Android.

(I wish there were a way to play from the 60 second mark of stage 6. Oh well.)

We just hit 20 participants! We're aiming for 80 by the end of the challenge, more than that it's all gravy!

As a sneak peak here's how the bottom 10 are looking like:

rneaJ9L.jpg
That can't be right. (Diesel Pioneer) I think 24 is my all time best, managed 10/11 yesterday.

Top Bottom