• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunday Ticket No Longer On PS3

I'm not even sure if media boxes will carry it. The NFL deal described at the reveal was not the NFL Sunday Ticket.

The NFL deal was a mix of putting tech like surfaces in the hands of coach. The Xbox portion of the deal involves NFL.com Fantasy overlays.

You're assuming that was all the deal was. 400 million dollars is a LOT of money for surface tablets and fantasy stats. I believe the Xbox is going to have the Sunday Ticket.

the madden deal wouldn't have let you watch on the PS3 anyways.

It's also possible they made that announcement because they knew the Sunday Ticket wouldn't be on PS3 this year.

sangreal

You're assuming that was all the deal was. 400 million dollars is a LOT of money for surface tablets and fantasy stats. I believe the Xbox is going to have the Sunday Ticket.

It's also possible they made that announcement because they knew the Sunday Ticket wouldn't be on PS3 this year.

NFL can't license Sunday ticket to Microsoft. dtv already pays a LOT more than 400 million dollars for the exclusive rights to Sunday ticket. If Microsoft landed some console exclusive for it, then it would come from dtv

NFL can't license Sunday ticket to Microsoft. dtv already pays a LOT more than 400 million dollars for the exclusive rights to Sunday ticket. If Microsoft landed some console exclusive for it, then it would come from dtv

Of course. I never suggested 400 million would pay for the Sunday Ticket. But it's possible part of that deal included money to DTV to pay for console exclusivity for the Sunday Ticket.

Why are people keep mentioning Madden for PS3? It's been known for a long time that the Sunday ticket included with Madden NFL 25 was not going to work on PS3.

Amazon said:
Can I watch NFL Sunday Ticket on my PS3 by purchasing the Anniversary Edition?
No, this only provides access to NFL Sunday Ticket on computer, tablet, and mobile devices.
Source

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The NFL deal includes 360 I think.

"Sunday Ticket" has nothing to do with the NFL (ironically). DirecTV contractually has ALL rights to Sunday ticket. The PS3 app was an agreement between Sony and DirecTV, not Sony and NFL.

IF the service is going to 360, it would be through an agreement between DirecTV and Microsoft.

My guess is that it's not going to 360. My guess is that DirecTV pulled it from PS3 as a result of the Madden offer and as an attempt to drive subs to DirecTV. I mean DirecTV is plastered all over the Madden deal, and the only way you can get Sunday Ticket without having DirecTV is by "not having DirecTV available to you" which is a relatively small number of homes in the US.

this has nothing to do with MS. This has to do with DirecTV using the Madden offer to increase their subscriber count.

edit - I see that removed that whole "don't have directv available to you" thing. Looks like this deal is only for PC/mobile access. Or if you are a new sub, then a discounted monthly bill and free sunday ticket.

Load of shit. They barely convinced me to get it with their ridiculous prices, I'm sure as fucking hell not buying a 500 dollar console just to spend 300+ bucks for a season.

Fuck them.

"Sunday Ticket" has nothing to do with the NFL (ironically). DirecTV contractually has ALL rights to Sunday ticket. The PS3 app was an agreement between Sony and DirecTV, not Sony and NFL.

IF the service is going to 360, it would be through an agreement between DirecTV and Microsoft.

My guess is that it's not going to 360. My guess is that DirecTV pulled it from PS3 as a result of the Madden offer and as an attempt to drive subs to DirecTV. I mean DirecTV is plastered all over the Madden deal, and the only way you can get Sunday Ticket without having DirecTV is by "not having DirecTV available to you" which is a relatively small number of homes in the US.

this has nothing to do with MS. This has to do with DirecTV using the Madden offer to increase their subscriber count.

According to amazon at least, for this coming season you don't need DirectTV for Sunday Ticket. No clue if that applies for any other season / without the amazon game deal. You may still need DirectTV to sign up for it outside of that deal.

Pretty much sunday ticket getting pulled from ps3 doesn't actually effect the amazon special edition madden deal at all.

Do I need a DirecTV subscription to access NFL Sunday Ticket?

No, it's not necessary to have a DirecTV subscription. Each Anniversary Edition includes a code that can be redeemed to access the full 2013 regular season (17 weeks) of NFL Sunday Ticket on computer, tablet, and mobile devices.

edit: Hadn't seen your edit or subsequent post. The PC stream not being in HD does indeed suck.

borghe

Load of shit. They barely convinced me to get it with their ridiculous prices, I'm sure as fucking hell not buying a 500 dollar console just to spend 300+ bucks for a season.

Fuck them.
you can't buy any console. Your only options are either this deal on a PC/tablet, or if you want to watch the games in HD, subscribe to DirecTV. That is the reasoning behind this move. Has nothing to do with MS.

edit: Hadn't seen your edit or subsequent post. The PC stream not being in HD does indeed suck.

yeah, the PS3 deal was actually really nice. I'm guessing Sony fronted a pretty bill for that given the price you paid and what you got (compared to actually having DirecTV, etc). I am not at all shocked by this given the setup of the Madden deal. Had PS3 gotten Sunday Ticket on top of the deal, I would imagine a noticeable number of DirecTV subs would have dropped the service and bought Madden, including people who had no interest in actually playing or even opening the game.

Mesoian

The NFL Sunday Ticket has never been on 360 and still hasn't been announced for the 360.

Which is why, with the season starting in 3 weeks, it's insane that Microsoft hasn't spelled out the details of this yet. Is it just sunday ticket? Is it red zone? How do I get this? I'm about to change my entire cable package in order to get full access to the season, but I would pay to just have access to all the games, and Microsoft is playing coy.

BigDug13

Which is why, with the season starting in 3 weeks, it's insane that Microsoft hasn't spelled out the details of this yet. Is it just sunday ticket? Is it red zone? How do I get this? I'm about to change my entire cable package in order to get full access to the season, but I would pay to just have access to all the games, and Microsoft is playing coy.

Sunday Ticket is a DirecTV thing, not an NFL thing. Unless Microsoft announces a partnership with DirecTV, their NFL stuff they've been talking about has nothing to do with NFL Sunday Ticket. That is why Microsoft has not "spelled out the details" to you. Because this has nothing to do with the XBO's NFL deal.

weevles

Bummer. Stupid NFL and their "Exclusive" licensing policies--they didn't "have" to give DirecTV exclusivity. They have 'Merica by the balls on it, though so they can do whatever they want in that arena....

you can't buy any console. Your only options are either this deal on a PC/tablet, or if you want to watch the games in HD, subscribe to DirecTV. That is the reasoning behind this move. Has nothing to do with MS.

I thought Xbox One has an NFL deal (separate of sunday ticket) that lets people watch all of the NFL related shows.

borghe

they did spell it out. XBONE (not 360) will get some form of Red Zone.

You won't see Sunday Ticket anywhere this year except for DirecTV (and through them PC/tablet streams in SD).

Unless DirecTV does a similar promotion next year, then MAYBE they'll have Sunday Ticket apps out for PS4 and/or XBONE.

None of the above even has a chance of changing until the end of NEXT YEAR'S season (current Sunday Ticket agreement runs through 2014-2015 season).

And given the reasonable health of DirecTV right now, I would be seriously shocked if they didn't sign another contract extension. MS paid NFL $400M for their deal. DirecTV paid the NFL $4BILLION for their deal.

I thought Xbox One has an NFL deal (separate of sunday ticket) that lets people watch all of the NFL related shows.

While I'm not interested in XBONE, the whole Sunday Ticket thing has always fascinated me. I rewatched that part of the presentation a few times. If you watch it again, MS is VERY clever on their wording. Never do they say "you can watch all games" or "you can watch all shows". They basically just say "you can use XBONE to watch games/shows". i.e. the same games/shows you can already currently watch through your provider, with XBONE UI overlays on top of them.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Fuck them.

Uh, where has it been confirmed that this DIRECT TV thing has anything to do with Microsoft or Xbox? NFL Sunday Ticket is a special deal NFL has with Direct TV, not with Sony. Direct TV controls a lot of this deal...

LAMBO

I was on a few sites that sell madden, and if you look at the descriptions it’s all the usual hype “hard hitting” “fast action”, etc. Features are mentioned and hyped like anyone would expect. Look at newegg’s XB1 madden description:

Disclaimer: NOTE: You are reserving Madden NFL 25, for use only with Xbox One; both expected to be released in November 2013. Game for activation and distribution only in Canada, Mexico and the United States. Requires account on Xbox Live in Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country required (not all Xbox Live countries). Features and requirements may change. Broadband internet (ISP fees apply) and advanced TV hardware required. Additional internet speed, subscriptions and/or requirements apply for some features. You must accept Xbox Terms of Use (including standard application license terms); Some games not transferrable and have no resale value; restrictions on game usage apply. See xbox.com/reserve for additional Xbox One information.

BigDug13

Best way to do NFL Sunday Ticket this year seems to be getting the $99 Madden special edition with tablet NFL Sunday Ticket access, then use your ipad on your TV via Apple TV if you have those things. Or an HTPC and stream via PC connected to your TV.

Mesoian

they did spell it out. XBONE (not 360) will get some form of Red Zone.

You won't see Sunday Ticket anywhere this year except for DirecTV (and through them PC/tablet streams in SD).

Unless DirecTV does a similar promotion next year, then MAYBE they'll have Sunday Ticket apps out for PS4 and/or XBONE.

None of the above even has a chance of changing until the end of NEXT YEAR'S season (current Sunday Ticket agreement runs through 2014-2015 season).

And given the reasonable health of DirecTV right now, I would be seriously shocked if they didn't sign another contract extension. MS paid NFL $400M for their deal. DirecTV paid the NFL $4BILLION for their deal.

While I'm not interested in XBONE, the whole Sunday Ticket thing has always fascinated me. I rewatched that part of the presentation a few times. If you watch it again, MS is VERY clever on their wording. Never do they say "you can watch all games" or "you can watch all shows". They basically just say "you can use XBONE to watch games/shows". i.e. the same games/shows you can already currently watch through your provider, with XBONE UI overlays on top of them.

So...redzone is coming to the Xbone, which releases when the season is basically over.

I kind of want to recoil into a face that's like, "that's fucking stupid", but honestly I'm not surprised that one of the biggest Xbox draws mentioned thus far is completely moot due to timing and other contractual obligations.

::sigh:: Um...i'll check out sunday ticket standalone.

borghe

Best way to do NFL Sunday Ticket this year seems to be getting the $99 Madden special edition with tablet NFL Sunday Ticket access, then use your ipad on your TV via Apple TV if you have those things. Or an HTPC and stream via PC connected to your TV.

I don't disagree, but neither way will give you games in HD. That's the big catch. Still yeah, wireless streaming from a tablet/phone or from your PC to your TV is probably best.

hlhbk

PC/mobile stream isn't HD.

PS3 stream was HD.

The PS3 stream was no where near HD. The nfl.com streams (like the ones used for the preseason) are HD and blow any and all direct tv streams out of the water. To bad the regular season streams from nfl.com are only available outside of north america due to the direct tv nfl agreement.

Oh yeah the nfl.com streams are also way cheaper than Sunday ticket.

This is interesting indeed... what's up with NFL and it's very exclusive ways of getting their content? It's like they don't want people to give them money... It's infuriating regardless of how this result happened.

Krakn3Dfx

Yeah, that Madden 25 + Chromecast will be pretty epic, and saved me $300-$400 in the process.

sk3tch

This was my plan. But I did not know it was SD. Now I think I will cancel the Madden pre-order...undecided.

Has anyone used the SD stream? Is it passable at 1080p on a 50" (or larger) TV?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
yeah, the butthurt "Preorder Cancelled" brigade really needs to learn about Chromecast.

Or recognize that you're still getting hundreds of dollars in value to watch Sunday ticket on your PC and its still an insanely good deal.

borghe

This is interesting indeed... what's up with NFL and it's very exclusive ways of getting their content? It's like they don't want people to give them money... It's infuriating regardless of how this result happened.

The money they would likely make (at least up til now) is nowhere near what DirecTV pays them. The licensing fee is actually a massive write-off on DirecTV's books as a subscriber acquisition/retention cost. The only way I don't see DirecTV re-signing for exclusivity again is if the NFL just doesn't offer it to them. But I still don't think the market is there to be worth more than what DirecTV pays for the exclusivity. I could be wrong though.

edit - I stand corrected about PS3/HD. Wow.. I guess it makes sense. It was pretty seriously discounted compared to the actual DirecTV base ST package.

Mesoian

The PS3 stream was no where near HD. The nfl.com streams (like the ones used for the preseason) are HD and blow any and all direct tv streams out of the water. To bad the regular season streams from nfl.com are only available outside of north america due to the direct tv nfl agreement.

Oh yeah the nfl.com streams are also way cheaper than Sunday ticket.

Wait, the nfl.com streams aren't available in the states? Why does it let me sign up for it?

Gamepass is completely meaningless.

sk3tch

yeah, the butthurt "Preorder Cancelled" brigade really needs to learn about Chromecast.

Or recognize that you're still getting hundreds of dollars in value to watch Sunday ticket on your PC and its still an insanely good deal.

Well, if you don't already have one (Chromecast), the 2nd wave (at least according to Amazon) isn't coming until mid to late-October. That leaves that solution off the table. Obviously, there are plenty of other ways to achieve this...but it IS SD which is also a concern.

Krakn3Dfx

This was my plan. But I did not know it was SD. Now I think I will cancel the Madden pre-order...undecided.

Has anyone used the SD stream? Is it passable at 1080p on a 50" (or larger) TV?

Their preseason pass live stuff is looking really good off of my HTPC onto a 65" TV, my experience is that the games on Sunday Ticket are just pulls of the games off of local affiliate channels (we're a Packer house, but we live in Denver, so that's what it's mostly for), so it varies based on the channel feed, but a majority of the time it looks more than fine, even on a large screen.

hlhbk

Wait, the nfl.com streams aren't available in the states? Why does it let me sign up for it?

You probably signed up for the $20 preseason package. If not post where you sign up at because I would be all over it.

j-wood

Maybe this isn't the right thread but it's kinda related.

Whats the deal with this sunday ticket offer and madden 25?

If i buy madden 25 but I already have direct tv, can i use the code to watch sunday ticket on my computer for free still?

entremet

No.

The NFL makes millions of dollar off their TV contracts. They don't want to offend their partners by making competitive services.

Unlike the NBA or MLB, they do not offer streaming packages for full games. The Madden promotion is only for this season.

The NFL is very old school, but it doesn't matter to much because they can do as they're the number sport and ratings grabber.

Krakn3Dfx

Maybe this isn't the right thread but it's kinda related.

Whats the deal with this sunday ticket offer and madden 25?

If i buy madden 25 but I already have direct tv, can i use the code to watch sunday ticket on my computer for free still?

Yes, even if you have DTV, you can still use the code to watch on PC and tablets.

Mesoian

No.

The NFL makes millions of dollar off their TV contracts. They don't want to offend their partners by making competitive services.

Unlike the NBA or MLB, they do not offer streaming packages for full games. The Madden promotion is only for this season.

The NFL is very old school, but it doesn't matter to much because they can do as they're the number sport and ratings grabber.

Yeah, I was looking at the rewatch option they have, which is completely meaningless for 90% of people remotely interested in football.

Sort of amazing that the only way you can get a decent package is to add an additional 40 dollars a month to my cable bill

hlhbk

No.

Actually they were going to bring their stream to the states. I don't have the links offhand but in their last renewal with DTV it was stated in the contract that DTV had to provide a streaming service without a DTV subscription by 2012 or the NFL would provide their own service.

To bad DTV provided their service.

entremet

Actually they were going to bring their stream to the states. I don't have the links offhand but in their last renewal with DTV it was stated in the contract that DTV had to provide a streaming service without a DTV subscription by 2012 or the NFL would provide their own service.

To bad DTV provided their service.

That's good to hear somewhat lol. That they are moving to the 21st century at least. The NFL really needs to stop it with their exclusive BS.

Mesoian

That's good to hear somewhat lol. That they are moving to the 21st century at least. The NFL really needs to stop it with their exclusive BS.

Well I know for a fact that most NFL owners think that selling out regular season games still doesn't generate enough revenue for individual stadiums/teams/cities, so the cash grab is understandable. It just sucks because it really screws over people trying to do things like cutting cable.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well I know for a fact that most NFL owners think that selling out regular season games still doesn't generate enough revenue for individual stadiums/teams/cities, so the cash grab is understandable. It just sucks because it really screws over people trying to do things like cutting cable.

It doesn't, ticket sales are a drop in the bucket revenue-wise.

Top Bottom