• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Festival of Magic (Steam/Wii U) - Indie JRPG from Norway - Kickstarter live

jediyoshi

217781wlptb.jpg

fom399r8b.gif
fom3cqpa.gif

Kickstarter
http://kickstarter.com/projects/171497873/festival-of-magic
Video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q58kKE5czNY&hd=1
Festival of Magic is a throwback to the classic Japanese RPGs of yore, but puts a spin on the formula by fusing harvesting with turn-based combat.

In the game you join Amon, a desert scavenger, and his reluctant companion Gnart, as they unravel the ancient mysteries of Umbra - a world that has stopped spinning and is now divided by the forces of technology and magic.

The game combines turn-based combat and farming gameplay with exploration and puzzle-packed quests. Grow spuds, tend barnacles and use your harvest as powerful ammunition and spells; load your weapons, team up your companions and get ready for a grand adventure!

Website
http://fomgame.com/

1IKaQdk.png

Looks like them getting greenlit so quickly threw a wrench in their kickstarter announcement plans. I'm hoping the farming mechanics work out well, seems like a nice genre to mix into classic RPG.

nickcv

didn't we get to see the gameplay video for this game a while ago?

I thought the development was almost done, what do they need so much money for?

Tizoc

Doesn't look that bad, hope the later tiers are for Sony systems or at least Vita and/or 3DS.
Seriously get this on 3DS and/or Vita.

Malajax

I applaud their ambition, but this looks painfully generic and boring to me. The battle system sounds interesting, but that's about it.

RPGCrazied

Looks pretty cool. The run animation looks kinda weird, but they can fix that. I don't know how I feel about the farming aspect though. Don't think I'd like that.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I like the environments but I dislike the character design. Reminds me a bit of Knack visually which I had the same problem with.

Rootbeer

Banned
backed. Nice art style, but not only that, the presentation and design of all the stuff shown looks like something special. Really getting a Final Fantasy IX or Ni No Kuni feeling from it. Really excited to see where it goes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So why are they doing a kickstarter?

To get money:
We have currently spent over $1M and will need a little short of $900k to complete the game. $250k we hope to get from all of you through Kickstarter, another $50k will come from the Norwegian Film Fund provided the Kickstarter is successful. Finally, the remaining $600k will have to come from stretch goals, pre-orders on Steam and finally, if we have to, from investors.

That's one hell of a goal! $250,000. But they are already at $30k, so who knows. Maybe they will make it.

They seem to be grossly undercutting what they actually need in order to finish the project.

We have currently spent over $1M and will need a little short of $900k to complete the game. $250k we hope to get from all of you through Kickstarter, another $50k will come from the Norwegian Film Fund provided the Kickstarter is successful. Finally, the remaining $600k will have to come from stretch goals, pre-orders on Steam and finally, if we have to, from investors.

So they would need an additional 600k on top of what they asked for on Kickstarter that they hope to get from "stretch goals, preorders, and investors that they haven't confirmed that they're using". It's a worrying piece of dialogue and I think more than a little bit misleading with the 250k price tag that they've set. If you need 850k, ask for 850k, don't put your hopes on stretch goals fronting the rest of the required bill. I'm worried that a project like this would just barely get the $250k needed to fund it and proceed to limp across further development as they need about 3xs the amount according to what they themselves have said.

Tripon

They seem to be grossly undercutting what they actually need in order to finish the project.

So they would need an additional 600k on top of what they asked for on Kickstarter that they hope to get from "stretch goals, preorders, and investors that they haven't confirmed that they're using". It's a worrying piece of dialogue and I think more than a little bit misleading with the 250k price tag that they've set. If you need 850k, ask for 850k, don't put your hopes on stretch goals fronting the rest of the required bill. I'm worried that a project like this would just barely get the $250k needed to fund it and proceed to limp across further development as they need about 3xs the amount according to what they themselves have said.
Well, at least in this case, the game certainly looks like they spent over a million already. =P

I would definitely get this on Steam.

Game looks nice, but combat looks like it lacks "oomph/"weight where attacks are concerned.

wrowa

So why are they doing a kickstarter?

Probably because they run out of money? The same reason every other developer uses kickstarter.

I hope they make their goal, anyway. Festival of Magic definitely has a lot of potential, but at its current state it's rather uneven. Some scenes look amazing, others awful. I hope they'll be able to get it all on a similar level.

So they're asking for $250k from Kickstarter but they actually think they need nearly a million to finish it? Yeah, that's not asking for trouble.

Although with only about 13% of their funding after about a week, it's extremely unlikely this Kickstarter is going to succeed.

Sesha

Interesting to see a Kickstarter for this. They were at Norwegian Game Expo in Lillestrøm. I wanted to ask them about the game's progress, but didn't have time to approach them. I assumed from what I saw that they were close to finishing, so it's surprising that they're running out of funds, especially with the planned Wii U release. While I didn't get to try it out, the art and music is nice, but combat looks a bit dull, and the environments seem kinda sterile and empty.

Not planning to back it, but I'm wondering if they'll make it.

CamHostage

I get nervous when white people try to make Japanese-style products, but the art style of this game is distinctive, with anime influence but without crossing over into weeaboo fan-pandering. Good luck to them.

I get nervous when white people try to make Japanese-style products, but the art style of this game is distinctive, with anime influence but without crossing over into weeaboo fan-pandering. Good luck to them.
I admire western efforts in trying to do the JRPG thing. It shows that just because you hail from the West doesn't mean you are strictly limited to Western styles of gaming. I respect the whole "trying to break down the walls" like that(kinda like Japanese efforts with Dragon's Dogma and the Souls games, which both draw heavy Western themes). If you can deliver a great game and it's in the style of something you love, why not do it?

But yeah, I backed it!!!

Kieli

I'm glad they haven't done any ridiculous name-dropping of classic games.

It's one thing to say you are inspired by a game, it's quite another to say that your game will feature the intricate storytelling of Planescape: Torment, the amazing platforming of Super Mario Bros, the foreboding atmosphere and difficulty of Dark Souls, the stunning scope of Shadow of the Colossus, and so on...

TDLink

This looks pretty good but I'm a bit wary about tossing my money in with such a low goal compared to what they say they actually need.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looks nice, would be awesome if they got some Norwegian nu-disco artists on the soundtrack :O

Nilaul

Does this has puzzles in it environments? Something to break the monotony of just wondering aimlessly in dungeons?

(apart from switches)

Not too wild about the combat (or rather the "Characters 1 and 4 MUST be tanks, 2 and 3 MUST be support" aspect of it.) Make it so that every character has a support/combat mode and it'll be more interesting

kevm3

I applaud them for actually putting some effort into the visuals. Too many indie rpgs look like they used the stock rpg maker tileset.

Top Bottom