• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, what the fuck. This thread got me back in a Dark Souls mood, so I go to boot it up and it immediately crashes. Reinstall, try again, same thing happens. Go online, apparently it's a god damn GFWL problem. Download the latest version of GFWL, go to install it, but it says it can't install because GFWL is already installed, and it directs me to launch it. Except I can't launch it because it won't connect to the server because I'm assuming that shit's been cut or whatever at this point. So, I can't seem to play Dark Souls until I get this shit figured out.

Only asking in here because I figure that someone else might've picked it up and went through the same problems. Anyone know the fix?

And people still ask me why I've sworn off ever buying another fucking Microsoft product ever again.

Windows 8.1?

Oublieux

Only asking in here because I figure that someone else might've picked it up and went through the same problems. Anyone know the fix?

If you haven't played in a while and were using DSFix, it'd be a good idea to download the latest version; one of the previous Dark Souls updates broke compatibility with DSFix, I believe, and could be the culprit of the crashes.

Burt

This happened to me randomly one day. Go into Add or Remove Programs and uninstall GFWL, then reinstall it.

Holy shit, I've stumbled into a brand new pit of Microsoft buttfuckery with this one, and it involves decade-old AOL addresses, Internet Explorer blackmail, and links to tell me the nature of my problem that lead directly to 404 errors.

I love this god damn company.

Windows 8.1?

Nope, 7, but I might just dig back through my history to find the post where I explained my experience installing Windows 8 and the birth of my unending fountain of Microsoft-slaughtering rage. Well, that and the fact that I got suckered into a Zune back in the day.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Still wondering if the graphic design of rogue legacy suffers sticker syndrome or is actually pretty well done

Nope, 7, but I might just dig back through my history to find the post where I explained my experience installing Windows 8 and the birth of my unending fountain of Microsoft-slaughtering rage. Well, that and the fact that I got suckered into a Zune back in the day.

My hatred started with Windows 3.1, but at least that was optional. I've been plotting their downfall ever since.

Try:

* uninstall GFWL
* download the latest, before you install, right click and make sure it is running as administrator
* install it
* Now go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 you should have 5 xlive* files. Copy these to C:\Windows\System32
* Run Dark souls, cross your fingers.

What type of game is it like?
It's like a bite-sized Metroidvania (as in, reminiscent of the Castlevania games of that ilk specifically) that has procedurally generated castle layouts. Each time you enter the castle it'll be a little different, but each of the sections and the whole castle itself aren't very large -- the length comes through repeatedly entering the shifting castle. The general setup is that you enter, make some progress, die, and use all the money you acquired on that life for your next generation of knight to spend on stat and equipment upgrades. The game enforces this with a gatekeeper to the castle that takes the remainder of your gold when you enter, but there's a skill upgrade to mitigate that a little.

All in all, it's not a very challenging game, in fact it's rather shallow in that it's mostly a grind to get your stats up to beating your given section, but it's still fun for the few playthroughs you'll get out of it.

Derrick01

Banned
You hold gameplay above all else, right? Risen 2 has some wonderful things about it, but the combat is mind-bogglingly, inexplicably, painfully horrendous.

And I think that's actually the nicest way I could phrase it.

It's a wrpg though, they all have shit combat. I'm more interested in how the RPG elements and exploration are.

Some GMG stuff for the next ~4 hours:

Deus Ex pack $8..98 http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/au/en/pc/games/action/deus-ex-pack/

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Explosive Mission
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Tactical Enhancement
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War

Teleglitch $3.24 http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/au/en/pc/games/indie/teleglitch-die-more-edition/
Sins Rebellion $10 http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/au/en/pc/games/strategy/sins-solar-empire-rebellion/

Burt

Try:

* uninstall GFWL
* download the latest, before you install, right click and make sure it is running as administrator
* install it
* Now go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 you should have 5 xlive* files. Copy these to C:\Windows\System32
* Run Dark souls, cross your fingers.

I really do appreciate the help... but no. Too much. Maybe tomorrow, but tonight I'm done, especially considering how Dark Souls would probably only exacerbate my rage at this point.

Thanks, Microsoft. I'm going to go happily play the copy of Bad Company 2 that I got today for a dollar on Origin. That's right, I'm choosing EA over you Microsoft, because you are actually the god damn devil.

Tellaerin

Still wondering if the graphic design of rogue legacy suffers sticker syndrome or is actually pretty well done

I wasn't sure what you meant by "sticker syndrome" earlier. (I'm still not entirely sure, but since you mentioned graphic design, I'm guessing you mean that sort of "cheap Flash art" look?) Rogue Legacy has more of a retro pixel art thing going on. The trailer should give you an idea:

http://store.steampowered.com/video/241600/2028853

Barzul

Guys I just downloaded Dsfix and was making changes to the ini file and came to the bit about unlocking the framerate. Is this recommended? It said I could be banned from GFWL and that you need a powerful system to unlock the framerate. I'm running a GTX 770 with i5 4570. Should I do this? What's the framerate at without unlocking it?

Mordeccai

^ Just unlock it. Durante put the warning there to cover his ass, but as far as anybody knows nobody has ever been banned from GFWL for using it. I believe it's locked at 30 fps if you don't enable it.

It makes a huge difference.

Some things to consider for those who still haven't acquired Human Revolution:

• The original game is now delisted on Steam
  • Director's Cut's inclusion of Missing Link in the main story messes with the pacing IMO
  • Director's Cut used an older iteration of the HR engine which had a variety of bugs and performance issues
  • There's been a patch for some of the above, but the game is still marred with visual discrepencies

Personally I think the original release is still the definitive means of experiencing the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Guys I just downloaded Dsfix and was making changes to the ini file and came to the bit about unlocking the framerate. Is this recommended? It said I could be banned from GFWL and that you need a powerful system to unlock the framerate. I'm running a GTX 770 with i5 4570. Should I do this? What's the framerate at without unlocking it?

Durante's just covering his bases. In practice, you won't be banned from GFWL (people have been playing the game at 60fps for yonks now), and even if you were, the service isn't going to exist in seven months. IIRC, removing the 30fps cap causes a small bug that reduces jump length and so you need to re-enable it at certain points.

You will not be banned from GFWL. Even if you could be banned for doing it, you wouldn't be banned for doing it because nobody would even be looking at it. Even if you could be banned for doing it and somebody was randomly looking at GFWL and decided to ban you for doing it you still only got banned from GFWL, a service that is about to die anyway.

So give it a go. Personally I get a shitload of tearing but it might work for you. If you can run it at 60fps, it is like a completely different game.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

• Director's Cut's inclusion of Missing Link in the main story messes with the pacing IMO
  • Director's Cut used an older iteration of the HR engine which had a variety of bugs and performance issues
  • There's been a patch for some of the above, but the game is still marred with visual discrepencies

Personally I think the original release is still the definitive means of experiencing the game.

wow, really? that's so weird.

so im better off getting the gmg pack over the directors cut?

Oublieux

As the above said, the framerate unlock feature won't get you banned. It does mess with the jump and rolling animation a bit (you don't jump as far or roll as far); it makes a few sections a little more irksome. I think there's even a part where a certain jump is impossible unless you toggle it back to 30 FPS.

Dr.Acula

Banned

But aren't there all sorts of balancing things and boss-fight rejiggers in the DC?

Still don't want to plonk down five bucks for the upgrade...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
As the above said, the framerate unlock feature won't get you banned. It does mess with the jump and rolling animation a bit (you don't jump as far or roll as far); it makes a few sections a little more irksome. I think there's even a part where a certain jump is impossible unless you toggle it back to 30 FPS.

I did the whole game on 60fps with no issues.

Tesseract

Banned
teleglitch is my goty, y'all should buy it.

i'm still trying to get castlevania from nuuvem, chrome translator is failing me.

Nabs

Durante's just covering his bases. In practice, you won't be banned from GFWL (people have been playing the game at 60fps for yonks now), and even if you were, the service isn't going to exist in seven months. IIRC, removing the 30fps cap causes a small bug that reduces jump length and so you need to re-enable it at certain points.

Yeah. There was a single jump I couldn't make, so I just used the hotkey to drop it down to 30 (backspace).

But aren't there all sorts of balancing things and boss-fight rejiggers in the DC?

Still don't want to plonk down five bucks for the upgrade...
The boss fight areas are changed for DC yes, and on easy and normal you regenerate two bars of energy instead of one. There's also NG+ if you really want to throw all progression out the window and keep your augs for the start of a new playthrough as well as some excellent commentary to give you insights on the development of the game.

However, if I'm ever going to replay the game again I think I'm going to stick firmly to the original -- outside of the technical quirks the DC introduced, the inclusion of TML into the main plot sounds like a good idea but in practice really makes for a disjointed experience.

Li Kao

So tonight was artsy night for me. Thirty flight of loving first. Laughably short, except for the fact that when you reach the end of the game you don't really laugh. And Blender games are not exactly cheap as chips to IIRC, so, yeah, a little jelly. But then again there are some really brilliant creative elements to the game. And like Dear Esther before it, I think it is a game that you enjoy more when reading about it afterward than when actually playing. The dev commentary was, err, short too, but quite fascinating to me.
Can't fuckin' rate it /10

And then, not knowing what to play, I tried Gone Home. And while I can totally understand that someone might find the game uninteresting, I was blown away. You basically spend your time looking into people lives, and yes, there is no denying it is boring if you don't immerse yourself in the game. I'm sure some people might even play it and not feel a thing, it depends on so many things. Mood, what you wait for in a video game, etc...
But when you are in tune with it, what a ride.
Good writing, human and likeable characters, the game is made entirely of the small miracles and miseries of life. Add to it a so touching and relatively subtle main plot... there is magic in there, I suprised myself heart racing, hoping for the best outcome when reading a simple document ! The alarming state a simple color in a room made me in before I found its wonderfully mundane explanation... Stunning, while I imagine that the game is not for everybody, that play session made me realize how much gaming is still a young medium. So much to try ! And the narrative possibilities...

One thing is for sure, The Monk, this is THE game for you (and me and a lot of people I hope). You will immerse yourself in the game and there will be feels, many feels. And the beauty of it is that I don't know what feels. The experience is like a dialogue between the player and the game / his memories. I didn't know I could feel my heart moved by a simple lone collar or by the way we used to label our vhs back in the day.

That's quite simple, I always said I wanted to lvl 5/foil only the games that I felt were important to me, and if the game doesn't missfire halfway it will be one of the rare I choose. I'm even contemplating firing an email to the dev as a thank you note. This is precious work.
You go girl ! I'm with team Sam /10

Derrick01

Banned
It makes Skyrim's combat look like it was designed by geniuses in comparison. It isn't just a timewaster, its actively frustrating.

They simplified a lot of things. You end up finding a lot of generic items instead of uniques. You spend a lot of the game picking up "provisions".

Exploration is good. Like most PB games there are actually things to find. Its a step down from Risen in this regard, though. The world is split up into small islands to accommodate an easier 360 port.

I appreciate the game for being above average in most ways. But I doubt I'll play it a second time. The combat was too often required and is actively annoying to experience.

I guess I'll skip it until there's a time when I have a lot less to buy. I just got a 3DS XL from Amazon so I need to stock up on those games.

antitrop

I played Gone Home last weekend and was fucking blown away. I went in with no expectations other than "Everyone else really liked this game". Beat it in an hour and a half, probably didn't see quite everything, but I'm a fast reader. What little questions I did have upon completing the game were answered by going back and reading the OT and a bit of Google searching.

They also had one of the 4 developers on Rebel FM last week and it was a really good episode, if you can stand Gies. (They also talked about how fucking awesome Spec Ops: The Line was, so that scored points in my book :p)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wasn't sure what you meant by "sticker syndrome" earlier. (I'm still not entirely sure, but since you mentioned graphic design, I'm guessing you mean that sort of "cheap Flash art" look?) Rogue Legacy has more of a retro pixel art thing going on. The trailer should give you an idea:

http://store.steampowered.com/video/241600/2028853

Yeah sticker syndrome looks like the sprites are more like "stickers" sticking out of the background along with terrible "tweening" animation.

Compared to say... Jamestown, now that's superb indie graphics doing sprites justice. So Rogue Legacy is like that eh?

antitrop

If Dyad goes on sale, I recommend that wholeheartedly to anyone that likes those sort of synesthesia-style games.

Loved it on PS3, loved it even more on PC. I would kill for Rez HD or Child of Eden on Steam.

Grief.exe

Happy thanksgiving everybody! I just got done with dinner and swung by Best Buy in my full suit to grab a PS3. Looking to fresh.

It was crazy in there, I didn't expect that many people at 10 at night.

I hadn't planned on picking up the Directors cut anyways, but I had no idea there were this many issues.

Calibus

Damn I completely forgot about this sale so I missed the first day. Went ahead and picked up Cities XL Platinum, because hey only $6 and I like city building games. I've heard mixed things about the Cities XL series, but I'm only out a few bucks if I end up hating it.

I wish I had known this about 28 hours ago. Oh well, only cost me $5 anyway.

Thank you for this information, I'm glad that I didn't picked it up yet, so I'll pass then!

I hope I did this right. . . I saw that I had this sitting unused, so away it goes!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

It's a secret to everybody -- MB-FDCB319E8BD25B2B - Taken by Servizio. 39 entrants total.

t1385711946z1.png
No, it is not Bad Rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom