• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why so few graphically outstanding games on 360?

DarkChild

Banned
According to Frankie in the very near future (I guess till the end of this month) we'll see some stuff from a campaign mission, a second vidoc with some campaign info and footage? I truly hope so.
I think GI next cover story is Halo 4 (there has been talk on forums) and one of editors said next cover game looks so good his jaw is still on the floor.

StuBurns

Banned
This doesn't look good to you?

I don't know if this picture was pre rendered or not but this almost looks to good to be true...
I like the soft bloom, but nothing about the character model stands out as beyond anything else. You could tell me it was Halo 3 or Reach and I'd believe you if the suit wasn't wrong.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think GI next cover story is Halo 4 (there has been talk on forums) and one of editors said next cover game looks so good his jaw is still on the floor.

I feel it's worth noting that Crytek said they're unveiling a major AAA project in April that, judging by two EA job postings for video editors to assist with marketing a Crytek game on a 12 month contract, is almost assuredly Crysis 3.

DarkChild

Banned
I like the soft bloom, but nothing about the character model stands out as beyond anything else. You could tell me it was Halo 3 or Reach and I'd believe you if the suit wasn't wrong.
Really? Ok...I would say lighting and post processing effects (god rays, dof) definitely stand out as well as shaders on armor which have very nice reflections too.

I don't think you will see anything in H4 which will outdo best looking exclusive games from Sony, but it could get on their level.

i-Lo

*lots of gifs*

I don't know if this picture was pre rendered or not but this almost looks to good to be true...

I would agree with him on the dashboard of vehicle. It sort of sticks out like a sore thumb amidst the rest of the awesomeness. It is still pre-alpha so who knows how things will look like. I still wish it'd be released for 720.

I agree with Nirolak. Lighting is the cornerstone for achieving photorealism. It can easily take precedence over every other thing for a viewer (unless the other factors are deficient to the point of utter distraction).

Then why is it that the system with the least amount of exclusives sells the most if exclusives are that important?

The truth is exclusives are not as important as ppl make them out to be. Certainly not this late in the gen. Besides graphics count for shit really if the game ain't all that.

DarkChild

Banned
I feel it's worth noting that Crytek said they're unveiling a major AAA project in April that, judging by two EA job postings for video editors to assist with marketing a Crytek game on a 12 month contract, is almost assuredly Crysis 3.
Oh yea you are right, but does GI usually show announced games? I would think Crytek would announce it, and than make full reveal on E3.

StuBurns

Banned
Really? Ok...I would say lighting and post processing effects (god rays, dof) definitely stand out as well as shaders on armor which have very nice reflections too.

I don't think you will see anything in H4 which will outdo best looking exclusive games from Sony, but it could get on their level.
Halo has always had amazing lighting. Halo 3's dynamic range effects are still the best on PS360.

I'm certainly not saying Halo 4 won't rival anything on PS3, I imagine it will. But I don't see it from these images. Halo's ability to impress has always been in battle, with all that pretty gun fire etc.

Majanew

Banned
I love the lighting in NCAA 12

ncaa-football-12-20110623101854215.jpg

ncaa12e.jpg

And dat grass:

ncaa-football-12-grass.jpg

According to Frankie in the very near future (I guess till the end of this month) we'll see some stuff from a campaign mission, a second vidoc with some campaign info and footage? I truly hope so.

Ok, so maybe we should stop including it into this thread. GIFs are nice and all, but let's wait. Reach looked ok, but far from outstanding. Especially with the sub hd resolution and framerate issues.

StuBurns

Banned
Ok, so maybe we should stop including it into this thread. GIFs are nice and all, but let's wait. Reach looked ok, but far from outstanding. Especially with the sub hd resolution and framerate issues.
Beyond that, the fucking ghosting from the AA was disgusting. I'm sure they've canned that though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh yea you are right, but does GI usually show announced games? I would think Crytek would announce it, and than make full reveal on E3.

They're willing to show games that have a minimal amount of shown content, which I think Halo 4 still falls under, so it is still possible.

Btw, do you have a link to the tweet? I'd like to make a thread, since Game Informer threads are always amusing.

TheOddOne

Whats so bad about posting gifs? Seems perfectly fine for any other game, I dunno why Halo 4 should be excluded.

Furthermore 343 is not Bungie.

TheOddOne

GIFs of an unreleased game without gameplay footage. Feel free to post, but they are useless for comparison sake.
They are in-game, confirmed. We got info that it is 720p and has proper AA, so I don't see the reason to exclude it.

Edit: see post underneath if you need any more reasons.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ijscV1fOIvFP6.gif

igTuFkAw5I7CK.gif

i5R9kfy5Lu5fy.gif

Everything in here is taken straight from engine. It is the in game camera detached, then straight recorded feed. the only artifice is the DOF, which is in-engine too. It just wouldn't be that exaggerated except for beauty shots.

DarkChild

Banned
They're willing to show games that have a minimal amount of shown content, which I think Halo 4 still falls under, so it is still possible.

Btw, do you have a link to the tweet? I'd like to make a thread, since Game Informer threads are always amusing.
Yea, no prob. Here are the tweets.

Andrew Reiner

The screenshots from our next cover story are gorgeous. My jaw is still on the ground...which is making walking difficult.

https://twitter.com/#!/Andrew_Reiner/status/181867834715021312

Andy McNamara

next week, Thursday.
(next week cover reveal).

https://twitter.com/#!/GI_AndyMc/status/185782617004716033

Oh and Halo forum with some info pointing at next cover being H4.
http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_pos...rmer-next-month.aspx?find=lastpost#post742019

But it's not Bungie. What is 343's track record?

The truth is exclusives are not as important as ppl make them out to be. Certainly not this late in the gen. Besides graphics count for shit really if the game ain't all that.

They are important but only to nab people at the beginning of the gen. 6 1/2 years later they really aren't going to sway people either way. Folks will have their minds made up on new systems before they even walk in the store. The vast majority of game sales are third party games.

It always is. The Halo 3 bullshots might have been the worst. And after the Halo 3 reveal I'd wait until we got some direct feed gameplay before handing out honors.

I have faith in 343, but still...

They are as "in game" as the Forza bullshots posted a few pages back.
Yep. Theater-mode shots are there for photographers, not for those wondering what the game will play like on their TV.

DarkChild

Banned
Everything in here is taken straight from engine. It is the in game camera detached, then straight recorded feed. the only artifice is the DOF, which is in-engine too. It just wouldn't be that exaggerated except for beauty shots.
Whoa! Great, thx. Hopefully we will see DOF in game because it really adds to the feel of cinematics.

Oh, and tell me this one is pre rendered (because I won't believe its real time even if you confirm it is :p ).

Stinkles

They are as "in game" as the Forza bullshots posted a few pages back.

There is no post-processing in these gifs. They are video footage from the engine. It's possible to pull out individual frames as tiffs and string them together as a movie - that could add resolution and improve AA if it were done that way, but that is not happening in these gifs. They are direct video capture, from the engine, from a level of Campaign. With the in-game Chief model.

I am not making any subjective claims about the quality, just correcting a misinterpretation.

Here.

IMO Forza 4 looks fantastic in motion, the moment you stop to look at it in every frame then ofcourse you're going to complain.

Reserving my judgement till I see gameplay. A nice model with some DOF in .gif form is just useless for this debate. Especially after the whole "we don't do bullshots" debacle. But that was Turn10 of course.

tranciful

I just googled for more halo 4 stuff so let me know if these are fake or whatever.

gaming_halo_4_multiplayer_screen_2.jpg

cheif-driving-warthog.jpg

halo-4-mulitplayer.jpg

Not seeing anything groundbreaking. Those gifs with the extreme blur would make a more apt comparison to GT5's photo travel mode or Uncharted photo mode -- utilizing effects/quality that aren't typically there in gameplay, though still real time and in engine.

Stinkles

Whoa! Great, thx. Hopefully we will see DOF in game because it really adds to the feel of cinematics.

Oh, and tell me this one is pre rendered (because I won't believe its real time even if you confirm it is :p ).

I am not sure what that frame is, but the only extant H4 prerendered chief is the one from the E3 video last year and the very high res version we will be using for future visual id. So it's safe to say its not pre rendered. LOD is likely ideal because of how close the camera is, but it' in-engine.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I just googled for more halo 4 stuff so let me know if these are fake or whatever.

[igmg]http://i2.cdnds.net/12/10/618x347/gaming_halo_4_multiplayer_screen_2.jpg[/img]

[igmg]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S-Y0hLNUFO4/T1U2DuE6XAI/AAAAAAAAFsI/_cgov1CjnrE/s1600/cheif-driving-warthog.jpg[/img]

[imgg]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MX8usPv0vNg/T1U2IY2NEII/AAAAAAAAFss/QZUgSEk96fM/s1600/halo-4-mulitplayer.jpg[/img]

Not seeing anything groundbreaking. Those gifs with the extreme blur would make a more apt comparison to GT5's photo travel mode -- utilizing effects/quality that aren't typically there in gameplay.

To be fair, those are pretty compressed vid caps. OWV could just post some proper screens.

halo-4-mulitplayer.jpg

Not seeing anything groundbreaking. Those gifs with the extreme blur would make a more apt comparison to GT5's photo travel mode -- utilizing effects/quality that aren't typically there in gameplay.

Yep, this is more what the game will look like in the end. If they can get to the outdoor graphics of Reach with decent AA and resolution, fans should be happy.

DarkChild

Banned

halo-4-mulitplayer.jpg

There are other stuff in GT5 photo mode to utilize quality of visuals beside dof. It has much better shaders and lighting, plus shadows are not last gen like in actual gameplay. What H4 gifs are showing is exactly how game looks like with DOF which I guess will be there in game too just not in your face while you are shooting.

Kinyou

Just noticed that Master Chief's visor yet again doesn't reflect realtime stuff. I wonder if we'll ever see that happen.

LosDaddie

Banned
You're fucking kidding right?
Gears of War 3 alone holds its own against any game on any platform.

First post nails it.

Love the troll-bait thread, though. Has a nice 2008-2009 feel to it.

Personally, GTA IV is silk the most impressive game to me this gen. The most-alive digital sandbox I've been in.

I am just fine with 360 graphics this generation. If they wanted to spend 30 million plus on 1st party titles then I'm sure they would have some standout graphics. They opted to get exclusives from 3rd parties and extras first. The rest of the money they used to fund their XBLA efforts, which have been fantastic this generation. All this along with not losing money this generation. Good turn around from last.

danwarb

Just noticed that Master Chief's visor yet again doesn't reflect realtime stuff. I wonder if we'll ever see that happen.

Haven't we already seen it happen in cinematic scenes?

Halo 3 I think it was. Edit: I'm pretty sure I'm mistaken now.

Top Bottom