• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

It always amazes me where voice actors can end up sometimes. For example, did you know that the voice of

aPm7J.jpg

is also the voice of

9ns96.jpg

and

W7tq7.jpg

Bet you didn't.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Rlan said:
It is a bit odd considering the super-marshmellow style of the show, but then I enjoyed watching the Powerpuff girsl as a kid too, and that's as super cute as this.

I mean hell, PPG had an episode about The Beatles, which is kind of amazing.
Yes, this is one of the very best PPG episodes ever!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Koomaster said:
Earth Ponies are stronger as evidenced in Winter Wrap-Up with them pulling the plows to clear away snow from the fields. Plus perhaps faster runners as well as seen with Apple Jack during Fall Weather Friends.

So maybe Earth Ponies have strength/stamina as their special talents. We know Pinkie Pie has loads of stamina with all the partying she can do. :p

I thought pegasi are faster than Earth ponies, and I don't really think "muggles" exist due to the pegasi and unicorns living among the earth-type.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I'd agree that Earth Ponies' particularity would be that they have more strength and stamina than both Unicorns and Pegasi. Otherwise, we would have one third of Equestria's population having to deal with depression from inferiority complex.

Anyway, here is something more for crossover fans to chew on:

v3WQk.png

Jay Sosa

meltingparappa said:
Do you mean "Friendship is Magic"? If so, that show is indeed legitimately good, and designed by Lauren Faust (Craig McCracken's wife, both of them heading up Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends).

Also this says all that needs to be said:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110130193104/mlp/images/6/69/Derpy_derping.png[/QUOTE]

Mmh that sounds pretty good indeed. Will give it a fair chance.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
The first 2 eps were written very well. Pinkie is a fuckin retard. IT WAS UNDER EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
jobber said:
The first 2 eps were written very well. Pinkie is a fuckin retard. IT WAS UNDER EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If anything, Twilight was the one coming off as retarded in that scene. As for Pinkie, she's friggin' pony Batman!

Jenga

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
I'd agree that Earth Ponies' particularity would be that they have more strength and stamina than both Unicorns and Pegasi. Otherwise, we would have one third of Equestria's population having to deal with depression from inferiority complex.

two terrible things mixed into one hideous monster

and are you seriously discussing the physiology of my little pony

good god

Jenga said:
two terrible things mixed into one hideous monster

and are you seriously discussing the physiology of my little pony

good god
Are you seriously using your time to just post jabs at people in here?

Good god. We get it. You dislike this kind of stuff. I thought bringing so little to the conversation besides cheap jabs at people was frowned upon here.

And would it kill you to use some damn capitalization and punctuation?

Koomaster

Ookami-kun said:
I thought pegasi are faster than Earth ponies, and I don't really think "muggles" exist due to the pegasi and unicorns living among the earth-type.
Again as seen in Fall Weather Friends, Rainbow Dash while a very strong pony in her own right, still had to use her wings to 'win' some competitions. So while Pegasus may be faster in general because of the wings, on the ground actually running, it would be Earth Ponies.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill

I Am Now

Banned
Jenga said:
im interested in subscribing into your trolling newsletter
Clearly you could use some tips.
This is Midnight Train, btw :3
Myke Greywolf said:
The guy who made the Trixie and Applejack/Rarity pics I posted earlier has AMAZING style. His name/handle is Noel, if you're interested.

Those are fucking adorable.

drunkendonuts said:
haha, kneesocks pony would be a unicorn, wouldn't she?

also, what is "Cupcakes"?

1298177033255.jpg

You know not what you ask! Leave and never go down this path again!

Quick, someone from atheist gaf get pissed about Feeling Pinkie Keen! Some artist post humanized ponies that aren't white! Then the trifecta of pony drama will be complete!

Seriously, it's a well-written grimdark fanfic that always gets a reaction when it's posted. Good if you like that sort of thing, but there are a lot of people who claim it ruined the show, at least temporarily, for them

Foxix Von

Myke Greywolf said:

http://i.imgur.com/v3WQk.png

Twilight seriously has to be some sort of alternate universe Stocking.

LowParry

So is this like some sort of safe version of P&S? The wife's been watching this and I've caught snips here and there but the art is similar. I remember seeing the intro and was like "Ewwwwww" but after seeing small bits, hardly the first impression stands. And the pink one, the hyper one. Haha. Cracks me up.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
CcrooK said:
So is this like some sort of safe version of P&S? The wife's been watching this and I've caught snips here and there but the art is similar. I remember seeing the intro and was like "Ewwwwww" but after seeing small bits, hardly the first impression stands. And the pink one, the hyper one. Haha. Cracks me up.

Nothing to do with Panty & Stocking, that pic was just for laughs.

Read the OP, catch a few episodes on Youtube if you feel interested, come back for your second appointment. :)

By the way, does anyone have suggestions for a new title for this thread? I'd like to ask Ookami to ask a mod about it, but it would be cool if we had something witty prepared beforehand.

Koomaster

maruchan said:
Why are their no humans like the original?
IIRC the original had the human earth and the pony earth (planet?) separate. Could only access the two by the magic rainbow inside the locket that Meagan (the human) wore. So it was really a special case that she and her siblings interacted with the ponies. Humans and Ponies weren't living together even in the original series.

In this series we know that at least the Pony Earth has a 1000+ year history; whether or not we are pre or post locket would make a lot of difference in whether humans could interact with the ponies again.

As for Apple Jack and Spike who were both characters from the original series. Well Spike sounds like it might be a common name for a dragon, so he may not be the same. Apple Jack on the other hand is either an ancestor or descendant (again depending on a pre/post locket world) to the Apple Jack in the original series. We've seen that pony names tend to get passed on from mother to daughter (ie Buttons/Baby Buttons, Gusty/Baby Gusty Heart Throb/Baby Heart Throb, etc) from the original series, a family name of sorts.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Koomaster said:
IIRC the original had the human earth and the pony earth (planet?) separate. Could only access the two by the magic rainbow inside the locket that Meagan (the human) wore. So it was really a special case that she and her siblings interacted with the ponies. Humans and Ponies weren't living together even in the original series.

In this series we know that at least the Pony Earth has a 1000+ year history; whether or not we are pre or post locket would make a lot of difference in whether humans could interact with the ponies again.

As for Apple Jack and Spike who were both characters from the original series. Well Spike sounds like it might be a common name for a dragon, so he may not be the same. Apple Jack on the other hand is either an ancestor or descendant (again depending on a pre/post locket world) to the Apple Jack in the original series. We've seen that pony names tend to get passed on from mother to daughter (ie Buttons/Baby Buttons, Gusty/Baby Gusty Heart Throb/Baby Heart Throb, etc) from the original series, a family name of sorts.

That is one way to put things, but I think it's reeeally trying too hard to establish some kind of master pony chronology. Is it so hard to admit the possibility that this is simply a total reboot, an alternate take on pony lore, and has nothing to do with previous iterations except for some character names and traits? At least until we get some proof in contrary.

LowParry

So caught the first two episodes. Gets my kid hooked on watching TV (which is nice) but it was very well written all around. Though why isn't this on Cartoon Network? It'd fit the network really well considering most of what they have is a lot of super hero blahness. The intro makes it more like it's going to be super kiddy Nick Jr. show but it's not and entertaining to watch and get the kiddos involved. I love cartoons that are that way. Entertaining for the adult and kids. Now all that I need to do now is get into that Adventure Time show. The previews always get me.

Oh, and the pink one (I don't even know names) reminds me of Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo. Ditz and dumb yet has this inner charm of being super smart (on accident? Or are we being fooled?).

Calcaneus

Foxix said:
*googles cupcakes*

Oh god it's Agony in Pink all over again.

The sick part is I actually chuckled at the ending.
Now there's a goddamn party.

Yeesh, that thing almost got to me at 20, I shudder to thing how it would have shattered my life if I had read it at 10 or 11 years old, when I was actually kinda into fanfiction.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
CcrooK said:
So caught the first two episodes. Gets my kid hooked on watching TV (which is nice) but it was very well written all around. Though why isn't this on Cartoon Network? It'd fit the network really well considering most of what they have is a lot of super hero blahness. The intro makes it more like it's going to be super kiddy Nick Jr. show but it's not and entertaining to watch and get the kiddos involved. I love cartoons that are that way. Entertaining for the adult and kids. Now all that I need to do now is get into that Adventure Time show. The previews always get me.

Oh, and the pink one (I don't even know names) reminds me of Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo. Ditz and dumb yet has this inner charm of being super smart (on accident? Or are we being fooled?).

It's great that you enjoyed it. I hope you keep watching, as these characters really have a way of growing on you.

And yeah, there's always a method to Pinkie Pie's madness. This becomes particularly obvious in episodes 1.10 "Swarm of the Century" and 1.15 "Feeling Pinkie Keen".

Foxix Von

Calcaneus said:
Now there's a goddamn party.

Yeesh, that thing almost got to me at 20, I shudder to thing how it would have shattered my life if I had read it at 10 or 11 years old, when I was actually kinda into fanfiction.

5OgiV.png

Just finished getting caught up with all the episodes. I think if I had to rank the ponies it'd go something like: Rainbow Dash > Pinkie Pie > Fluttershy > Derpy Hooves > Applejack > Rarity > Twilight Sparkle

Yeah, I ended up ranking Derpy really high up there just because she adds a game like element to the show. It's like constantly getting to play where's waldo while watching and every instance of spotting of her is met by instant laughter. <3

Ellis Kim

Banned
Came to OT for the Apple live blog thread, saw this thread based on growing curiosity of the sudden appearance of gifs and jpegs from the show on the gaming side; watched an episode on youtube, and wow, its actually honestly entertaining. Hurray for good writing.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Foxix said:
Just finished getting caught up with all the episodes. I think if I had to rank the ponies it'd go something like: Rainbow Dash > Pinkie Pie > Fluttershy > Derpy Hooves > Applejack > Rarity > Twilight Sparkle

Yeah, I ended up ranking Derpy really high up there just because she adds a game like element to the show. It's like constantly getting to play where's waldo while watching and every instance of spotting of her is met by instant laughter. <3

Hey, I love Derpy-spotting as much as the next brony, but to rank an undeveloped background character above hard-working Applejack, drama queen Rarity and lovable nerd Twilight is pushing it a little too far in my book.

Anyway, here's Princess Rainbow Dash for you.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Mechanical Snowman said:
Why are some episodes in HD and some not? I can't find Griffion in HD and I really want to .gif a section of it.

I'm not sure. The official website keeps only the 2 first episodes and the last one on archive, so it must have something to do with that. Fans only started making HD rips regularly from episode 1.13 onwards, although 1.3 and 1.8 are also available in 1080p.

1.4-1.7 and 1.9-1.12 are currently only available in SD, unfortunately. :(

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Mechanical Snowman said:
Why are some episodes in HD and some not? I can't find Griffion in HD and I really want to .gif a section of it.

I don't get HUB HD here so all the episodes On Demand here are letterbox'd :(

Foxix said:

Yeah, my sister and I have a laugh doing that to. Derpy and Dr. Whoof (mainly because she's a big Dr. Who fan)

EDIT: I just found a site called Derpy Hooves.com that has HD episodes available (both streaming and downloadable). Only downside is you've got the obnoxious "ads" and Hub watermarks stuck on the screen. I don't know how or where, but I've gotten a vast majority of the episodes watermark free via torrent.

Furret

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
I'm not sure. The official website keeps only the 2 first episodes and the last one on archive, so it must have something to do with that. Fans only started making HD rips regularly from episode 1.13 onwards, although 1.3 and 1.8 are also available in 1080p.

1.4-1.7 and 1.9-1.12 are currently only available in SD, unfortunately. :(

Is there any word on a DVD box set yet?

I have no way to get Hub and I can't be having with downloading or YouTube.

It'd make a great present for my sister.

markatisu

Furret said:
Is there any word on a DVD box set yet?

I have no way to get Hub and I can't be having with downloading or YouTube.

It'd make a great present for my sister.

It just went to iTunes in SD and HD, the season passes are ridiculously expensive though compared to other shows. It a Hub wide issue though as GI Joe Renegades is also super expensive.

So I am sure a DVD set will be coming, Hasbro knows the audience is there. They have their own DVD distribution and I know Target would want it as MLP is a really big seller for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom