• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
markatisu said:
You should see some of these custom ponies in person, my wife goes to the annual MLP Convention which Hasbro sponsors and there are some sick Marvel and DC ponies

Also to those who question their manhood, even in the 80's iteration the cartoon feature male ponies. They even had toys (under the Big Brothers line), they are really expensive ass to buy so feel good that male = expensive lol

I don't recall ANY boys wanting to play with MLPs or wanting to watch the show when Transformers, GI JOE and He-Man were on when I was an 80s kid.

The Lamp

Foxix said:
I think if you read through the entire thread you can actually watch my sanity devolve into the blathering pony macro posting state its become. I don't understand how people think pony-gaf is worse than pedo-gaf though, I don't think anyone has implied any kind of attraction to the ponies. It's just normal fandom so far as I can tell... if at times a little on the foamy mouth side of fandom.

Anyway since people seemed to like the first batch of avatars, and since we have these new juniors, I took some gifs I had lying around and cropped them and removed frames til they fit the gaf constraints. As always, feel free to abuse:

rkdTq.gif
82Ydn.gif
3vg4l.gif

9HJGY.gif
XKhd6.gif
gHCiK.gif

01TS5.gif
6alMq.gif
VSLUR.gif

and....yeah...changed my avatar again...Thanks :)

markatisu

lethial said:
I don't recall ANY boys wanting to play with MLPs or wanting to watch the show when Transformers, GI JOE and He-Man were on when I was an 80s kid.

Me and my friends to use to watch MLP when it aired alongside Potato Head Kids and other cartoons. It was in the regular lineup around the country alongside GI Joe, Transformers, JEM, Thundercats.

I got the VHS tapes to prove it lol

dude

dude
When I was a kid I never watched MLP on the grounds of it's girly-ishness. But, I have a friend now who is a MLP fanatic, loved the original show and has a room full of Pony toys - And she showed me some of the original show, and it's really exactly the same as most cartoons made in 80's... Really, it's just as dumb as any of the shit we used to watch.

In the old series there's even a human boy.

So my sister and I sat down and watched the first few MLP episodes and we're hooked for sure. My sister especially had a blast recognizing the background ponies as ones she had in her collection. We're looking forward to watching some more later today. I'd have to say my favorite's a toss up between Pinkie and Fluttershy.

For those few people reading this, rolling their eyes, and don't see the appeal, I'm not trying to say it's the most epic thing in Animation ever. It's just good, "cotton candy fun" with admirable traits and morals. I found this article here that actually does a pretty good job summing up how I feel about the series and explains this phenomenon.

BTW, out of curiosity, have "Bronies" become the official term for an MLP fan regardless of gender? My sister is saying despite being an "original" fan, she's proud to consider herself a "Brony". Makes me wonder.

markatisu

Choppasmith said:
BTW, out of curiosity, have "Bronies" become the official term for an MLP fan regardless of gender? My sister is saying despite being an "original" fan, she's proud to consider herself a "Brony". Makes me wonder.

I think it can be either, it usually used for male fans but I have seen females take the moniker as well.

And as far as I know its only for this show, my wife for example who loves the new show but also has virtually every MLP toy from the 80's/90's/00's and attends the conventions would not call herself a brony
dude said:
When I was a kid I never watched MLP on the grounds of it's girly-ishness. But, I have a friend now who is a MLP fanatic, loved the original show and has a room full of Pony toys - And she showed me some of the original show, and it's really exactly the same as most cartoons made in 80's... Really, it's just as dumb as any of the shit we used to watch.

There is also the fact the original MLP cartoon was made by Sunbow (GI Joe/Transformers) and featured many of the same writers and voice actors.

Thats right bitches, the same people who wrote the manly GI Joe and TF episodes also crafted the characters for MLP and decided their storyline lol

Foxix Von

Choppasmith said:
So my sister and I sat down and watched the first few MLP episodes and we're hooked for sure. My sister especially had a blast recognizing the background ponies as ones she had in her collection. We're looking forward to watching some more later today. I'd have to say my favorite's a toss up between Pinkie and Fluttershy.

This guy. This guy right here knows what's up.

Choppasmith said:
For those few people reading this, rolling their eyes, and don't see the appeal, I'm not trying to say it's the most epic thing in Animation ever. It's just good, "cotton candy fun" with admirable traits and morals. I found this article here that actually does a pretty good job summing up how I feel about the series and explains this phenomenon.

Thanks for the heads up on the article, will read. And yeah it looks like "Bronies" is the official term unfortunately. I'm more fond of the term "FiMFan". It sounds slightly less ridiculous and has a kind of ring to it.

I'm also gonna let those avatars cool off a bit, I found a few more gifs and I'll try to edit some more in a couple days and compile a post of available ones. I'll probably post it in the request an avatar thread as a some freebies. I've also had my Derpy Day muffin as well. Blueberry... Mmmmm... so good 9_6

Just finished reading that page, and yeah that was a really good read! Thanks again! If anyone is genuinely curious check out the article, it does a pretty good job of sort of summing up a lot of the appeal. I definitely agree with it.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Choppasmith said:
It's always great to see another person "getting" it, and the article you linked goes a long way into explaining why I like it as well. I'm a person who is very prone to build up pressure from stress, and because people count on me to remain calm and collected at all times, I rarely have the opportunity to let out some steam - that's why I've always been a gamer on my spare time. However, I found out that FiM has another, distinct effect that allows me to cope better with the way I am. The show's wholesome nature and emphasis on friendship seems to act on my bottled-up frustration with the negative aspects of my life, allowing it to be transformed into positive feelings of hope, trust and understanding towards others. Yeah, I know it sounds cheesy, but this show relaxes me that way. That, and I always had a soft spot for cutesy stuff. :)

Inevitably, some people are unable to avoid mixing their appreciation with other... sorts... of feelings, and thus rule 34 of the Internet was born. Each of us has the choice to ignore that part of the fandom, and I really want to keep giving people that possibility while posting in this particular forum. I have nothing against some degree of shipping, but my line doesn't stand much farther than that, and this is certainly not the place to splatter such materials.

Choppasmith said:
/co/ at 4chan tried to come up with a catchy term for female FiM fans, but they weren't able to find anything suitable, so they just started to use "brony" as an unisex noun.

Choppasmith said:
I'd have to say my favorite's a toss up between Pinkie and Fluttershy.
My personal ranking goes: Twilight>Fluttershy>Pinkie>Applejack>Rarity>Dash. But really, they are all great, and I don't have any one character I hate.
Resist against the tyrant Celestia!

Kimmay!

Neo Member
I do not understand the adult male love for this show! One of my male friends is so in love with it but I find the way he talks about it a little creepy.
I watched one episode tho, good show for children.

Jintor

It's kind of like Lucky Star (ANIMEEEEEEEZ). It's just relaxing to watch. Also people mock me for watching it, so there's that too.

Dai101

Banned
Foxix said:
OMG I can't believe someone actually went through with making baked bads.

Oh god that's terrifying, where in the hell did you find that?

After reading that article that was posted before, i went to watch the entry of MLP:FiM in tvtropes (bad idea, i've been there like 2 hours now) and someone posted that pic in some of the tropes ........ yeah, my reaction was just like Twilight's

Foxix Von

Dai101 said:
After reading that article that was posted before, i went to watch the entry of MLP:FiM in tvtropes (bad idea, i've been there like 2 hours now) and someone posted that pic in some of the tropes ........ yeah, my reaction was just like Twilight's

Dang I was sort of hoping there was like a post or description to go along with that. I would love to see the creators impressions of his uh... concoction.

Koomaster

meltingparappa said:
It's supposed to be lemon juice in the show, but... uh... suspiciously opaque, and viscous.
You can see the bottle of ReaLemon in the background to the pics. It's basically concentrated lemon juice is what they used.

There is no way to justify eating something like that. Eggs, Sugar, Potato Chips, Coke, Lemon Juice, Gummy Worms, Blech!

Sort of reminds me when I was a kid and my mom would boil tea, dr. pepper, honey and lemon as a 'cure' for when I got a cold. ~______~

geeko

Surprisingly watchable show, if a little much on the cuteness side. If I had a daughter I would watch this with her.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You, I thought that by playing Bulletstorm, I had permanent ownership of my man card. That I could do no act that would cause it to be revoked.

But watching a My Little Pony cartoon might be the one thing that would revoke it. I refuse to watch it for fear that I might enjoy it.

The man card stopped existing for years now that people are more comfortable of letting loose of the closet.... on the internet. It's nothing more than an illusion to make you think the man card still actually exist.

I Am Now

Banned
ZealousD said:
You, I thought that by playing Bulletstorm, I had permanent ownership of my man card. That I could do no act that would cause it to be revoked.

But watching a My Little Pony cartoon might be the one thing that would revoke it. I refuse to watch it for fear that I might enjoy it.
No one can take away your man card but you! Just enjoy it for what it is.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So essentially being an "Earth pony" doesn't have any advantage at all right? I mean, pegasi can fly and unicorns can magic

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The episode with Trixie is the weakest so far. The new characters are annoying, and there's none of the playful banter between the main cast that makes the show so likable. :/

geeko420 said:
Surprisingly watchable show, if a little much on the cuteness side. If I had a daughter I would watch this with her.
Why just daughter? I used to watch My little pony and friends as a kid. Toons are toons.

Koomaster

Ookami-kun said:
So essentially being an "Earth pony" doesn't have any advantage at all right? I mean, pegasi can fly and unicorns can magic
Earth Ponies are stronger as evidenced in Winter Wrap-Up with them pulling the plows to clear away snow from the fields. Plus perhaps faster runners as well as seen with Apple Jack during Fall Weather Friends.

So maybe Earth Ponies have strength/stamina as their special talents. We know Pinkie Pie has loads of stamina with all the partying she can do. :p

Koomaster said:
Earth Ponies are stronger as evidenced in Winter Wrap-Up with them pulling the plows to clear away snow from the fields. Plus perhaps faster runners as well as seen with Apple Jack during Fall Weather Friends.

So maybe Earth Ponies have strength/stamina as their special talents.We know Pinkie Pie has loads of stamina with all the partying she can do. :p
She also seems to be some sort of psychic or clairvoyant.

So after seeing this thread and being reminded of how lots of people wrote off Avatar: the last airbender,as some anime rip off. I decided to give this show a chance. And now I am a fan.

What the hell have I become? :(

Regulus Tera said:
The episode with Trixie is the weakest so far. The new characters are annoying, and there's none of the playful banter between the main cast that makes the show so likable. :/

I disagree. I think the one with whatsherface Griffin fracker was the weakest, by far. Like, before we even get to truly know her, I just stopped watching for a bit because it pissed me off for some reason. Watching more of it made me aware that I get pissed before I find the reason.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kirbyguy said:
I disagree. I think the one with whatsherface Griffin fracker was the weakest, by far. Like, before we even get to truly know her, I just stopped watching for a bit because it pissed me off for some reason. Watching more of it made me aware that I get pissed before I find the reason.

Her character design really does give a douchebag feeling. That's a plus in my book though.

Myke Greywolf said:

bruce-1.gif

EDIT: Dragonshy: Fluttershy > Pinky Pie > Rarity > Twilight Sparkle > Apple Jack > Rainbow Dash

Rlan

It is a bit odd considering the super-marshmellow style of the show, but then I enjoyed watching the Powerpuff girsl as a kid too, and that's as super cute as this.

I mean hell, PPG had an episode about The Beatles, which is kind of amazing.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
googleplex said:
I don't get this image. Please explain.

It doesn't make sense if you haven't seen episode 1.6 "Boast Busters", so you should really watch it first, if you haven't.

Trixie's attitude was born from her trying to live up to her dying mother's attempt at cheering her up. Those words were imprinted in her mind, and she became "The Great and Powerful Trixie". Even if her magic abilities never developed as much as she wanted, she became terrified of disappointing the memory of her mother, so she felt forced to resort to trickery and low tactics in order to convince the whole world (and herself) that she was as strong as her mother wanted her to believe she was.

Just a fan theory, but it goes a long way into explaining Trixie's character and making us empathize with her. This single picture managed to turn a shallow character into a deep one, at least in my mind.

Rlan said:

I remember it, and I also think this is a friggin' awesome episode. It helps that I love The Beatles as well. :)

Jintor

Rlan said:
It is a bit odd considering the super-marshmellow style of the show, but then I enjoyed watching the Powerpuff girsl as a kid too, and that's as super cute as this.

Oh my god.

I remember PPG being funny, but not this funny. This is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom