• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CD'S BAR

Haven't seen this one posted yet.

FANART.jpg

Esiquio

Other than the removal of the letterboxing I see and hear no difference from the original.

There's only one difference: at the very end is a sound clip from ANH, where Luke says, "But it's a whole 'nother year!"

Edit: the fan art from a minute teaser with five few-second clips only is just...unreal. As is 100 million views. Bomba incoming, right?

Wowwwwwwww this art

I feel bad to post mine :(

eAKGgNP.jpg

No it's good! It's exciting to start seeing Star Wars VII fanart so soon after the release of a teaser.

Yeah I've warmed up to the title considerably.

But, on the other hand, the title's official logo still seems like such a weird, dull choice.

Even though TFA isn't a reboot, I think they designed the logo as if it were some sort of reboot of the series (for new viewers) with a huge focus on "Star Wars", the subtitle in smaller font and no mention of "Episode VII". I think that's their reasoning for the logo.

I just hope the next two episodes will have more distinctive logos focusing on their subtitles rather than variations of this one.

Yeah I've warmed up to the title considerably.

But, on the other hand, the title's official logo still seems like such a weird, dull choice.

My problem with the logo is that it's clearly the He-Man font. As someone who played with and had a great time with both franchises back in the '80s, it drives me nuts. :p

QhNx8GH.png

Cheebo

Banned
My problem with the logo is that it's clearly the He-Man font. As someone who played with and had a great time with both franchises back in the '80s, it drives me nuts. :p

QhNx8GH.png

The font for The Force Awakens existed and was used by Star Wars long before He-Man was a thing.

If anything, it's possible the people making He-Man decided to use that font because they were seeing it on Star Wars posters back then.

We were just too young to really be paying attention to typography trends back then.

Cheebo

Banned
If anything, it's possible the people making He-Man decided to use that font because they were seeing it on Star Wars posters back then.

We were just too young to really be paying attention to typography trends back then.

Yeah it's funny to see it be called the He-Man font when he-man was the one using years after Star Wars had been using it.

Coreda

QhNx8GH.png

Serif Gothic was popular in the 70s (and since), so it's not exclusive to any one use. Even Halloween uses it.

It was one of the various typefaces Lubalin designed it for his newly formed company ITC, and like most of his typefaces seen best tightly spaced (although he could do it like no other). The letter-spacing and choice for Star Wars was odd, but I've come around a little since liking the trailer.

Star Wars has been using it for ages.

Can't remember seeing it used for SW before, anyone have an image?

The original posters for Star Wars tended to use it for the tagline and the credit blocks.

Something I've noticed for this movie is that they are re-using a TONNE of the concept art and original stuff from the original trilogy. The X-Wings looks like the original concepts from 1977 (which look like Z-95s), the new droid was an original concept for R2D2, and this font choice as well. I wouldn't be surprised to even get some of the original names that were never used.

That would be great.

One part of me wants to see a planet with more than one biome...but another part of me doesn't, since that was such a 1970s sci-fi thing, to have single-feature planets like Tatooine or Hoth.

And yeah, the decision to go back to McQuarrie is a genius one. A lot of those designs are not only still artistically valid, but because they were 70s concepts of a far-flung future (that was actually the past) you end up with this really interesting effect of a retro-future aesthetic that feels both forward-looking and nostalgic at the same time, while still being VERY visually interesting.

injurai

Banned
I don't care enough about being wrong on the internet to bet shit :)

I'm wrong all the time!

My point is Tatooine is far too iconic to go pulling a Prometheus where it was LV-223 instead of LV-426. It'd just be a waste, and would betray the audience.

There have been multiple spoiler reports that the sand planet isn't Tatooine including sources who got details of the trailer right months in advance you know.

All right, well I guess BobbyRoberts is looking out for me and won't let me embarrass myself. :)

I hope it's not Tatooine. We saw a gate that's based on concept art for the gate of Jabba's Palace, but I for one don't want to see Hutts in this film as it would be too much of a rehash. Bring on new alien species (and planets)!

injurai

Banned
I hope it's not Tatooine. We saw a gate that's based on concept art for the gate of Jabba's Palace, but I for one don't want to see Hutts in this film as it would be too much of a rehash. Bring on new alien species (and planets)!

You know what I want to see.

Bothans.

Cheebo

Banned
Reusing concept art doesn't mean much. And the shot in the trailer only has one sun.

You know what I want to see.

Bothans.
Bothan_Female.JPG

And yes that is actually from a real star wars comic. Gotta love the EU...

injurai

Banned
Reusing concept art doesn't mean much. Not to mention the planet has wrecked at-ats on it. And the shot in the trailer only has one sun. It doesn't look to be Tatooine to me not even factoring in the spoilers thst say it isn't as well.

They didn't film in Tunisia so visuals don't say much. Especially when it looks close to Tatooine which clearly has range off locales and geography.

Cheebo

Banned
They didn't film in Tunisia so visuals don't say much. Especially when it looks close to Tatooine which clearly has range off locales and geography.
I wasn't talking about that really. More the fact the planet is littered with
tons of Empire and rebel war wreckage
plus the fact it doesn't have two suns like Tatooine.

Edit: Thought I was in spoilers thread!

injurai

Banned
I wasn't talking about that really. More the fact the planet is littered with tons of Empire and rebel war wreckage plus the fact it doesn't have two suns like Tatooine. Plus the spoilers thst say it isn't Tatooine also help.

Alright fair enough. Maybe it indeed isn't Tatooine. For a binary star I have no clue how close you would expect to see the two suns in the sky, they might fall far apart at times though.

The empire wasn't completely broken up at the end of VI if I understand correctly. Those movies sort of implied that it was cleaned up over the coming months and years, but given the time skip and Tatooines closeness to both Han and Luke, it wouldn't be a stretch the empire move on it.

CD'S BAR

And yeah, the decision to go back to McQuarrie is a genius one. A lot of those designs are not only still artistically valid, but because they were 70s concepts of a far-flung future (that was actually the past) you end up with this really interesting effect of a retro-future aesthetic that feels both forward-looking and nostalgic at the same time, while still being VERY visually interesting.

Do we know who did the art for all the concepts that have leaked? Is that McQuarrie too? Even if this movie turns out to be pure shit the art made for it so far will have been worth the attempt. Totally takes you to another place. Can't wait for an art book or some compilation.

DiscoJer

Reusing concept art doesn't mean much. Not to mention the planet has wrecked at-ats on it. And the shot in the trailer only has one sun.

Bothan_Female.JPG

And yes that is actually from a real star wars comic. Gotta love the EU...

There's a human-Bothan romance in the Rogue Squadron novels (which I guess that might be an adaption of)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom