• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 - Review thread

Shaanyboi

Banned
Haven't bothered with Battle Mode since the DS game so I kinda don't care about them "screwing it up". I hasn't been fun in a long while, largely due to poor stages.

DrunkDan

I'm gonna be honest, I didn't use communities in the other games, so I don't remember how it works, but there aren't any so far, what you can do is create tournaments with several options and give it a password so only people you want enter. I'm guessing that's somewhat like communities worked?

Pretty much. You could create lobbies with passwords that people could join and once joined kinda just hang about in the lobby until enough racers turned up.

Nintendo online has improved recently (judging by the Mario Golf reviews) so hopefully this game is no different.

Porcile

Anyone else think we're in a second Golden-era of Nintendo soundtracks? There have been some masterpieces in the last few years or so: Mario Galaxy 1+2, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, A Link Between Worlds and now Mario Kart 8.

Man, you gotta hand it to Nintendo. No matter how bad their sales can get, they NEVER disappoint in terms of quality. Even at their worst (Super Mario Sunshine comes to mind) they make some of the best video games in the world, to this day. Sure, sometimes they can be a bit behind the times, but they don't deserve the lashing, bashing, and thrashing they've been receiving recently.

Just look at some of their recent games:

Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World
Link Between Worlds
DKC Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8

I mean, the quality of these games is absolutely astounding, and the general consensus is that critics AND fans are both on the same page regarding that.

TLDR; I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT TO PLAY THIS GAME.

Exactly. Which is why it is such a shame that the Wii U is selling so poorly. Fact is, Nintendo still cares about their first-party games. They feel like labours of love and passion, which is a rare thing in the gaming-industry these days. Coming off of PS4, I just feel that the Wii U is fresh in a weird way. The graphical capabilities are easily sufficient for Nintendo's vision, and I didn't buy a Wii U for third-party games anyway.

Most people say about Mario Kart that it's not worth it to be in first and blue shells are awful but I've found I can get in first and stay there more often than not. Has anyone other than Kohler mentioned the lack of options for first place being a detriment? I hope it isn't the case, the game looks sooooo good and I'd hate it to be an item orgy and the balance off.

Gigglepoo

- A few have mentioned the unlockables and how the game "wont last long". Is this true?

I played more than 40 hours before I three starred every cup, and I still have two part pieces to unlock. Granted, I was actively trying to unlock courses the whole time, but there's plenty of content for people to seek out. Plus, the game is fun even if you aren't actively earning anything.

AdanVC

Anyone else think we're in a second Golden-era of Nintendo soundtracks? There have been some masterpieces in the last few years or so: Mario Galaxy 1+2, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, A Link Between Worlds and now Mario Kart 8.

I absolutely think so! This new generation of Nintendo musicians/comopsers are extremely talented. Koji Kondo-Sensei should be proud! I've never tought a MK soundtrack could get so memorable, epic and jazzy as the MK8 soundtrack!

I absolutely think so! This new generation of Nintendo musicians/comopsers are extremely talented. Koji Kondo-Sensei should be proud! I've never tought a MK soundtrack could get so memorable, epic and jazzy as the MK8 soundtrack!

Nintendo has knocked it out of the park so far on the Wii U and 3DS with all of the jazz soundtracks in many of their games.

Sounds like they really screwed up battle mode. Not happy about that, but I'm still hyped for races.

So disappointing. How hard is it to just ship a new coat of paint on Block Fort, the greatest MP ever made, or Double Decker.

Watched the gamersyde videos, bit sad to see it dropping 60Hz with some frequency, visual fidelity is not where I expected it to be either with the faceting and high-frequency aliasing. Some of the track design touches look quite nice, though, like the wing in the airport and the undulating track in Bowser's castle. Those last minute finishes still make me clench up.

Any word on how many secrets on the tracks? We were just reminiscing about Koopa Beach while watching these at the office, Rainbow Road jumps, etc.

Tiktaalik

Little Big Plant Karting did the "battle mode on regular race tracks" first.

(it sucked)

Edit: Though I think you could still end the "race" early if you crossed the finish line first? It never made sense.

Edit 2: To be fair this was just a wacky mode that you could author using the level editor and not something that was actually in the main Campaign mode.

Wow they fucked up battle mode and the new item system for 1st place it sounds like.

Battle Mode, yes.

Disagree about the defensive element, though. With a much easier way to negate Blue Shells, they were sure to make sure there's at least a little more risk involved. I think forcing players to only "hold" one item at a time is fine for limiting the potential to abuse defensive play.

Battle Mode, yes.

Disagree about the defensive element, though. With a much easier way to negate Blue Shells, they were sure to make sure there's at least a little more risk involved. I think forcing players to only "hold" one item at a time is fine for limiting the potential to abuse defensive play.

Wait, you can only hold one item at a time? So I can't hold a shell and keep another item in reserve? What the hell is this?!

I played more than 40 hours before I three starred every cup, and I still have two part pieces to unlock. Granted, I was actively trying to unlock courses the whole time, but there's plenty of content for people to seek out. Plus, the game is fun even if you aren't actively earning anything.

But someone told me fun just wasn't enough.

maxcriden

Kirby: Triple Deluxe, too.

Wait, you can only hold one item at a time? So I can't hold a shell and keep another item in reserve? What the hell is this?!

It's a check on how absurdly easy it is to play defensively once you reach first place.

Hold whatever item you get behind you so you are immune to everything but Blue Shells, Bombs, and invincibility items, queue another in reserve, drop or throw as necessary, repeat.

Now you can even block Blue Shells with the Super Horn, so I guess the line is that they don't want you to just drag an item behind you/refresh your queue constantly until you have a defensive item + Super Horn. Otherwise you'd be basically unstoppable in first.

Plus, even other places can freely hold stuff behind them until they get a Mushroom/some other powerful item. Now you have to risk dumping your defensive item if you want to pick up another.

Prologue

Oh man that hilarious. You would think Nintendo could get this kind of shit right in 2014 but nope. Trying to make a game built around fun for family and friends yet we cant get these simplistic yet crucial functions.
These people are impossible.

Whenever a mario kart games comes out, I always wish they shared the same roster with Smash. Wouldn't both games benefit?

Baleoce

I don't mind not having 2 items as defence. That takes getting used to but it's certainly not a deal breaker. What I am worried about is the reported volume of coin items you get in 1st place. That just seems like bad item balancing.

It's a check on how absurdly easy it is to play defensively once you reach first place.

Hold whatever item you get behind you so you are immune to everything but Blue Shells, Bombs, and invincibility items, queue another in reserve, drop or throw as necessary, repeat.

Plus, even other places can freely hold stuff behind them until they get a Mushroom/some other powerful item. Now you have to risk dumping your defensive item if you want to pick up another.

This new limitation applies to everyone though, right? Not just the person in first place?

This new limitation applies to everyone though, right? Not just the person in first place?

Correct. It's an across-the-board change.

The result is that defensive play is riskier for everybody, which should make it easier for places to shift apart from items like Blue Shells, Bob-ombs, or invincibility items which can't be blocked with most defensive items.

Obviously has the greatest impact on people in first, though, since they mostly just need to worry about Blue Shells/stuff from behind. And of course they can't just constantly refresh their held/queued item until they get a Super Horn and coast through the race.

narton

Paste Magazine gives it an 8.8

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/05/mario-kart-8-review-wii-u.html

"The other notable omission is in the cast of characters’ diversity. After 30 years there are still zero Mario characters of color, a problem that Mario Kart 8 highlights by lining up all the characters on a single screen. When it comes to human characters, Mario Kart 8 is overwhelmingly white. Of the 29 drivers, 14 are human (including Toad and Toadette), and every single one of them is white. While it’d be atypical of Nintendo to introduce new characters into a Mario Kart game, it’s also where the deficit is the most obvious, and during play I found myself disappointed that Nintendo’s stable of characters so painfully fails to reflect the diversity of its audience."

"The other notable omission is in the cast of characters’ diversity. After 30 years there are still zero Mario characters of color, a problem that Mario Kart 8 highlights by lining up all the characters on a single screen. When it comes to human characters, Mario Kart 8 is overwhelmingly white. Of the 29 drivers, 14 are human (including Toad and Toadette), and every single one of them is white. While it’d be atypical of Nintendo to introduce new characters into a Mario Kart game, it’s also where the deficit is the most obvious, and during play I found myself disappointed that Nintendo’s stable of characters so painfully fails to reflect the diversity of its audience."

Is this a parody website like p4rgaming.com? It can't be real.

I can deal with 30fps, even less, just fine, but gawddamnit I fucking love 60fps for racers. So amazing every fucking time. Makes me seriously more excited watching MK8 than DC.

The Boat

Holy shit, I actually laughed.

Correct. It's an across-the-board change.

The result is that defensive play is riskier for everybody, which should make it easier for places to shift apart from items like Blue Shells, Bob-ombs, or invincibility items which can't be blocked with most defensive items.

Obviously has the greatest impact on people in first, though, since they mostly just need to worry about Blue Shells/stuff from behind. And of course they can't just constantly refresh their held/queued item until they get a Super Horn and coast through the race.

I think I can live with them new limitation. I'm getting Mario Kart 8 mostly for my wife, who loves the series. Whenever we play I smoke her so bad right off the bat and then just play defense for the rest of the race. This new change may actually improve her chances of beating me!

Holy shit, SERIOUSLY??!!?! Laughing my ass off right now. XD

I'm all for racial diversity in games, but what

Top Bottom