• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Flandy

Samsung KU6300 vs Sony X800D
How big of a difference are there between the two? I assume the Sony is better? My main use is going to be PS4 Pro and PC Gaming/Second Monitor. How much better is the HDR on the Sony than the Samsung?

Madness

Samsung KU6300 vs Sony X800D
How big of a difference are there between the two? I assume the Sony is better? My main use is going to be PS4 Pro and PC Gaming/Second Monitor. How much better is the HDR on the Sony than the Samsung?

Sony is better here. Much better color reproduction especially for HDR with its wide color gamut/triluminous display. It also has better motion capability as the Samsung even has judder on 24p bluray playback. Brightness levels similar/negligible. Samsung has better input lag for consoles but worse when doing PC 4K compared to the X800D. Plus Samsung has Tizen Os while Sony is running the latest Android TV standard.

Madness

Brilliant thank you.
On a related topic, for anyone that help me as I'm at my wits end googing this.

I currently have this TV:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/uhd-tvs/UE40JU6000KXXU

40" JU6000 6 Series Flat UHD Smart LED TV

Now, I knew when I bought it, it wasnt HDR and thats fine. But what I am worried about is if this TV can perform 60 fps at 4K with the PS4 Pro, or will it be limited to 30fps due to the refresh rate.

I've found some sort of answers googling, but nothing concrete.

I have also emailed Samsung Support to ask them as well.

If it doesnt, then at least I know and I can look to getting a new one sooner with HDR as opposed to waiting till after Christmas, but the last thing I want is to be limited to 30fps with the Pro, because that will suck.

Sorry for double post. I am not too sure I am understanding what you mean. Why wouldn't you be able to game above 60fps? Fps is not necessarily the same as 60hz. Based on what I see, your television is 4k and 60 hz compatible. It can even display 4K at 60 hz 4:4:4 for PC's. So you should be confident that it will output your PS4 Pro at 4k and 60hz, and the frame rates will be dictated by the console. I may look into this later because I could be mistaken.

Sony is better here. Much better color reproduction especially for HDR with its wide color gamut/triluminous display. It also has better motion capability as the Samsung even has judder on 24p bluray playback. Brightness levels similar/negligible. Samsung has better input lag for consoles but worse when doing PC 4K compared to the X800D. Plus Samsung has Tizen Os while Sony is running the latest Android TV standard.

Uhhh yea. But the 40KU6920 which is virtually identical to the 6300 is half the price.... The Sony would be impulse buy for me in the 400 region.

GAF, I think the 60 inch KS8000 is the perfect size for the space I am allocating it towards, but I keep hearing bad things about the 60. Anyone with it cared to comment? Did you return for 55 or 65, was the panel that much different in quality. How ugly is the bezel compared to the other sizes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Worth noting that John Lewis is selling KS7000 for £1099 so Richer Sounds have followed suit. John Lewis offer is active until 28/11.

Argh tempting. But the 55" Sony is too. I like sony's motionflow for increasing motion resolution without causing soap opera effect. But most impressions are very favourable for the Samsung

Anyone knows if this is a good tv for the ps4 pro?
49" UHD 4K Curved Smart TV KU6300 Series 6
(page in spanish)
http://www.samsung.com/pe/consumer/tv-av/tv/uhd-tv/UN49KU6300GXPE

If available in Spain I'd rather go with the KU6300. Rtings recommended the KU6300 in their HDR gaming recommendations. The KU6300 is pretty much the same thing with a curve, but for some reason it performed slightly worse.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6600

Timbuktu

X800D at 43" is the best below 49". The price and the features are solid. Slghtly more than Samsung and LG series but for features much better at this size.

Can anyone enlighten me what the difference is between the Sony XD83 and the XD80 models? Probably looking at a 43" with the current layout.

I received an email this morning that said Best Buy is doing a 1-day shopping event this Saturday. One of the highlights of the sale is that you can save 200-700 dollars on select Samsung 4k models. One of the pictures shown is for the KS8000, which I've been wanting to buy.

The only thing is... this model is already on sale a couple of hundred dollars off this week. Does this mean it will be even an extra couple hundred off on Saturday? On the email, it said the deals are good for Saturday only... if that's the case, I'd jump and buy a KS8000 this weekend. But it seems too good to be true. Like maybe it's the price that it's already on sale for. Any thoughts? Anyone get the same email?

Got the same email. I would imagine it is discounted more in the store on Saturday. It doesn't make sense for them to have the same sale price they have online if they are hyping up a Saturday only sale, but who knows.

zedge

They need to update rtings. I don't get any judder on mine. This may have been an issue prior to the numerous updates since. Samsung is better suited to gaming imo with lower input lag, in HDR also. Its also larger and quite a bit less. I honestly don't' think the price difference is worth it. All my opinion of course. People should make up their own minds based on their budget etc.

Juandavc

Neo Member
If available in Spain I'd rather go with the KU6300. Rtings recommended the KU6300 in their HDR gaming recommendations. The KU6300 is pretty much the same thing with a curve, but for some reason it performed slightly worse.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6600
Well i'm not in spain lol, i'm in latin america but thanks for the answer, it seems to say that it's the KU6300 but i don't know why it is curved in here?

I don't feel like breaking the bank on a TV when these things become outdated so quickly these days. And with the talk about 8K, and how often technology changes. So, as much as I'd love an $8000 TV, I can't justify it.

I don't even really want to upgrade from my 1080p Sharp Aquos even though it's ten years old, but it's having slight issues and I'll need 4K for gaming.

Can someone help me find a good option at Best Buy Canada, within the price range of $1200-1500? Preferably $1200 or less. I see some TVs on sale, from LG, Toshiba, Vizio and Samsung, for about $700-900, but am out of the loop when it comes to TVs these days.

zedge

I don't feel like breaking the bank on a TV when these things become outdated so quickly these days. And with the talk about 8K, and how often technology changes. So, as much as I'd love an $8000 TV, I can't justify it.

I don't even really want to upgrade from my 1080p Sharp Aquos even though it's ten years old, but it's having slight issues and I'll need 4K for gaming.

Can someone help me find a good option at Best Buy Canada, within the price range of $1200-1500? Preferably $1200 or less. I see some TVs on sale, from LG, Toshiba, Vizio and Samsung, for about $700-900, but am out of the loop when it comes to TVs these days.

If you want 55 inch in that range: I have this TV and love it.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=dcdfe302d07528f87a39a99db6cf296ben02

Smaller size this one:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=3f888f46fd3eb07b590525d20da1bbefen02

Both are the top two pick for budget HDR gaming 4k sets on rtings.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/hdr-gaming/best

Uhhh yea. But the 40KU6920 which is virtually identical to the 6300 is half the price.... The Sony would be impulse buy for me in the 400 region.

I just picked up the 40 inch 6290 for $330 this past Sunday and I'm pretty happy with it. All I wanted was a budget 4k TV that did some kind of HDR and this did the job. Can't wait for my 1050 ti to come in tomorrow so I can run a triple monitor set up. I hope I can get 4k, 60hz, and 4:4:4 running on this as part of a multi monitor set up because I have no idea if that's possible or not.

I'd like to get a much nicer 55-60 inch TV for the living room some day. But that will have to wait 2 or 3 more years when tech improves and prices come down some more. Until then this thing will get the job done.

So I have a midrange budget and I want a 65" TV.

At first I thought about getting the KU6300, because Rtings recommended it, but thats not available in Europe.
What is available in Europe is the KU7000(its called KU6409 in Germany).
But reading the review on Rtings it looks like the KS8000 (KS7090 in Germany) is quite the upgrade and looking at prices on Amazon.us its a pretty similar price.
65KS8000 is 1697$ on Amazon.us right now.
While the 65KU7000 is 1497$. So only 200$ difference for a better image quality.

But looking at the european models the 65KS7090 sits at 2299€ while the 65KU6409 sits at 1638€ and you get a Tab A(worth around 200€) with it. So its a 800€+ difference, and I don't think that worth the better IQ, is it?

Do you think the KS8000/KS7000 model will drop in price soon in Europe? Or should I just go with KU7000/KU6400 now?

Does anyone know how big the difference between KU7000 and KS8000 is?

So the KS8000 that everyone is talking about is this in the US, correct?

Just want to confirm before finally pulling the trigger. Thanks!

Any other better televisions in the same price range I should consider at the last second? I'm all ears!

Madness

XD80 is a 50Hz panel, XD83 is 100Hz.

I don't think it is. Think it is retailer error. No other regions have 120hz panels for this model, and just a few UK retailers have it listed as 400hz aka 100hz panel. Could be misinformation? Even Sony official site for UK only has it as 50hz. Don't think they would make an improved panel and not have it anywhere else, US, Canada, Australia, Japan etc.

Filth

Guys im so torn. Im getting a pro and i bought a 55 inch lg oled 1080p tv like 12 months ago. I really want to sell my tv and pick up that samsung 4k hdr. I have no idea how id sell this tv. Shipping is out of the question. Im scared it would break. Hallllppppp :(

Rbk_3

GAF, I think the 60 inch KS8000 is the perfect size for the space I am allocating it towards, but I keep hearing bad things about the 60. Anyone with it cared to comment? Did you return for 55 or 65, was the panel that much different in quality. How ugly is the bezel compared to the other sizes.

I personally avoided it and went 55" cause I didn't like the idea of the 1 off sharp panel.

I just picked up the 40 inch 6290 for $330 this past Sunday and I'm pretty happy with it. All I wanted was a budget 4k TV that did some kind of HDR and this did the job. Can't wait for my 1050 ti to come in tomorrow so I can run a triple monitor set up. I hope I can get 4k, 60hz, and 4:4:4 running on this as part of a multi monitor set up because I have no idea if that's possible or not.

I'd like to get a much nicer 55-60 inch TV for the living room some day. But that will have to wait 2 or 3 more years when tech improves and prices come down some more. Until then this thing will get the job done.

Supposedly it does in fact support it. I know the 6300 does and from everything I've read the 6290 is the same TV as the 6300 but without Bluetooth and a smart remote.

Dezzy

I just bought the 60" Samsung KS8000 and it's just beautiful. I was afraid of VA panel viewing angle, but while gaming I haven't even noticed the gamma shift. If anyone is not sure what to get, just get the KS8000. I'll be returning the LG UH7700 IPS panel TV I bought a few days ago.

Only issue I'm having is with ARC. My receiver is just doing DPL, and not outputting real 5.1 for some reason. I have everything set to PCM.

I just bought the 60" Samsung KS8000 and it's just beautiful. I was afraid of VA panel viewing angle, but while gaming I haven't even noticed the gamma shift. If anyone is not sure what to get, just get the KS8000. I'll be returning the LG UH7700 IPS panel TV I bought a few days ago.

Only issue I'm having is with ARC. My receiver is just doing DPL, and not outputting real 5.1 for some reason. I have everything set to PCM.

I'll agree, the KS8000 is a great TV and I was tempted to buy it after seeing it in stores, but I wanted a TV with 3D capabilities so it was a no-go for me.

Picked up the Sony X800D for review purposes, since the KS8000 wouldn't get here in time. Probably picking up the latter at some point.

Pennywise

So I have a midrange budget and I want a 65" TV.

At first I thought about getting the KU6300, because Rtings recommended it, but thats not available in Europe.
What is available in Europe is the KU7000(its called KU6409 in Germany).
But reading the review on Rtings it looks like the KS8000 (KS7090 in Germany) is quite the upgrade and looking at prices on Amazon.us its a pretty similar price.
65KS8000 is 1697$ on Amazon.us right now.
While the 65KU7000 is 1497$. So only 200$ difference for a better image quality.

But looking at the european models the 65KS7090 sits at 2299€ while the 65KU6409 sits at 1638€ and you get a Tab A(worth around 200€) with it. So its a 800€+ difference, and I don't think that worth the better IQ, is it?

Do you think the KS8000/KS7000 model will drop in price soon in Europe? Or should I just go with KU7000/KU6400 now?

Does anyone know how big the difference between KU7000 and KS8000 is?

The KU6300 is the KU6079 here.
The KU series sorting between the US and EU versions is pretty fucked up.

Yes the KS will drop in price. Especially when it's getting into more shops on- and offline.
You saw it yourself of sparse the offerings are, a few shops here and there, but generally it's not really part of the usual lineup.
That should be changing next year and we'll get more shops and offers.

They had the KS7090,8090 and 9090 on offer in my local MediaMarkt here, I was so close buying it :/ Easily a 300-500€ price difference compared to the usual price.

I'm gonna wait though. I can't afford it (would have only pulled the trigger with my credit card, which isn't the best idea), and you don't know what will be unveiled at the CES.
Maybe we get a new line of TVs that support HDR10 and are affordable, while also having a good input lag.

Hjod

Banned
I really want a 4K TV for my Pro but I'm kind of torn. At the moment I have an LG 55" Oled and I don't know what to get. I don't know if I want to buy a 4K TV without OLED, and the current versions of the LG 4K have a lot of input lag. I don't know what to do, I'll guess I have to wait.

So KS8000 is the one I need to be looking for on Black Friday and hoping for a good deal. Budget is right at $1000 though and I need at least 60". I could probably go upwards of $1200 if that's absolutely a good enough set to last several years.

Dynomutt

Hey Gaf just found out Fry's Electronics (If you have on close by.) pays tax on all 4K TV's in store. Just in case you want to see it in person and take it home. You have to have the daily/weekly promo codes but it's worth a shot to save $50 bucks or more in tax.

Edit: Getting the Sony X800D! Can't wait.

Ellite25

So I've had my 65" KS8000 for a few days to prepare for my Pro and I just have to say this TV is incredible. Even playing regular games on PS4 it looks amazing. Was playing Overwatch tonight and the colors just pop in a way I didn't know was possible and that's without HDR. Played some TLoU with HDR and that looked great too. Best TV I've ever owned and I don't regret dropping the money on it for even a second.

Any thoughts on the Sony X7000D 55" 4K UHD HDR for a PS4 Pro?

189771-L-LO.jpg

Not sure what it's called elsewhere

Hjod

Banned
Well, I've decided. I'm going for the Samsung KS9005 after reading some reviews. Hopefully I'll like it even if it's not an OLED ;).

Bearthgar

Banned
Any advise on selling TVs? I have a 65" LG UF6450 that is OK, but I didn't think the purchase all the way through because it was a deal.

I'm falling for the Samsung KS8000 like everyone else, but it'd be a lot easier to justify the upgrade if I could get some money out of the existing set. I bought it earlier this year, so it's in great shape.

lt519

Any advise on selling TVs? I have a 65" LG UF6450 that is OK, but I didn't think the purchase all the way through because it was a deal.

I'm falling for the Samsung KS8000 like everyone else, but it'd be a lot easier to justify the upgrade if I could get some money out of the existing set. I bought it earlier this year, so it's in great shape.

I'm in the same boat. I think I may pull the trigger today to take advantage of Discover Deals and the sale that is going on. I've got a 60" Vizio that's in pretty great shape that I bought for around $800. I'm hoping to get $300-400 for it through Craigslist. Bringing the total cost of the upgrade to like $1k.

Nevyr

Banned
So KS8000 is the one I need to be looking for on Black Friday and hoping for a good deal. Budget is right at $1000 though and I need at least 60". I could probably go upwards of $1200 if that's absolutely a good enough set to last several years.

I know people mentioned it before and I got steered in this direction.

If you got access to perksatwork it turns out to be 1054.99 for the 60"

I ordered mine last night.

lt519

https://slickdeals.net/f/9241787-samsung-un65ks8000fxza-65-1-279-epp-required?v=1

I got it back when it was 1479 a while back. I ended up getting $290 WOWpoints back (which I rolled into a PS4 Pro), 10% cash back for clicking through before ordering and now I'm going to get $200 more back from Discover for the price drop within 90 days.

Haggled with some guys on SlickDeals for a EPP access and holy shit the 60" is $1054 and then 10% back through Discover Deals. $1139 after tax, but $110 back brings it to $1029. Going to have to jump on this :0

The missus is going to murder me, $500 PSVR, $400 PS Pro, and now a $1k TV and I just got back from London :/

I love and hate you GAF

Edit: FYI: I now apparently have 5 codes to give out as well if anyone wants one.

Top Bottom