• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What videogame franchise has the best music?

Boney

Banned
2g56kpv

Natural Killer Cyborg

_Alkaline_ said:
A few great songs do not a great soundtrack make. WW's best four or five songs are amazing, but it lacks the consistency of other Zelda games.
So what if it does lack consistency? That doesn't mean that individual songs can't be more memorable than entire soundtracks of other games for people. On something as subjective as song quality, it's not really that fair to just dismiss someone's opinion simply on the basis that you don't agree.

For some people, Dragon Roost Island might be more memorable than the entire soundtrack of Ocarina of Time (Saria's Song, Gerodu Valley et al) and their opinion will still be a valid point of view.

Ganondorfo said:
I didnt forget zelda music lol. I found that most of them had mediocre annoying music.

Ganondorfo said:
I love the music of zelda a link to the past, ocarina of time and majoras mask and links awakining. I didnt like the music of the other games...
YOU DIDN'T LIKE WIND WAKER AND SPIRIT TRACKS MUSIC?!?

wat

Codeblue

Fire Emblem for one. I think Yuka Tsujiyoko does the music for it, and she does an amazing job. Each map has to transition the map music, battle music, recruitment music, and everything else and it blends the soundtrack really well in game. Each song gives a great sense of whatever atmosphere it's supposed to convey. The soundtrack is one of the games strongest points.

Donkey Kong Country for Stickerbrush Symphony alone.

Seda

Codeblue said:
Fire Emblem for one. I think Yuka Tsujiyoko does the music for it, and she does an amazing job. Each map has to transition the map music, battle music, recruitment music, and everything else and it blends the soundtrack really well in game. Each song gives a great sense of whatever atmosphere it's supposed to convey. The soundtrack is one of the games strongest points.

Woo I'm not the only fan of Fire Emblem music!

RespectKnuckles.gif

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sakura Taisen
Lunar
Final Fantasy
Chrono Trigger/Cross
Wild Arms
Ar Tonelico
Super Mario Galaxy (there's two of them, I'm calling it a franchise!)
Disgaea

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Easily Mario.

Runners up include Donkey Kong Country, Castlevania, Kirby, Megaman/X, Zelda and Pokemon.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So what if it does lack consistency? That doesn't mean that individual songs can't be more memorable than entire soundtracks of other games for people. On something as subjective as song quality, it's not really that fair to just dismiss someone's opinion simply on the basis that you don't agree.

For some people, Dragon Roost Island might be more memorable than the entire soundtrack of Ocarina of Time (Saria's Song, Gerodu Valley et al) and their opinion will still be a valid point of view.

Just saying it's not that good. ;)

Calm down Squirrel before you kill me viciously.

Does anyone realize that this thread is about music and not just "My favorite game?" If you're talking soundtrack, you'll look at music based games, obviously these games must have great soundtracks to begin with. I would have to say Guitar Hero has some great tunes, and DDR is good for the dance tunes. The old MOH games for PS2 had great music as well. I also like a lot of the music in Epic's games.

Call me crazy but i really love Ninja Gaiden's music. It's not my favorite but I really do like it a lot and it rarely gets mentioned.

Other franchises with great music:

Chrono Trigger/Cross
Mass Effect
Halo
Final Fantasy
STALKER (incredibly minimalistic, but perfect for the game)

Solune

Tricky I Shadow said:
Seriously, you and I are the only ones who mentioned Shenmue : (

It actually annoys me that no one even at least acknowledges it......

I mean can someone please tell me that this is incredible? Please!!!

My post precedes yours and Himuro's =).
It seems people forgot Harmony of Dissonance existed in this thread.

Oneself

"Mother"
Castlevania
Final Fantasy
DK Country
Killer Instinct
Tekken
Team Ico games
Timesplitters
PJ Shooter (yeah I'm sure the 2nd game will have an awesome soundtrack as well)
Streets of Rage

Anth0ny

Smash Bros doesn't count. Neither does Grand Theft Auto.

For me, it's Zelda. Mega Man and Banjo Kazooie come close.

Then, it's Mario, F-Zero, Street Fighter, Castlevania, Donkey Kong and Pokemon in no real order, but I can listen to that shit all day.

Xenogears has one of the best and most unforgettable music found in a video game.

The MGS series has had good music too, mostly the stuff done by Harry Gregson-Williams.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
_Alkaline_ said:
Just saying it's not that good. ;)

I'm trying hard to think of a song in WW that wasn't at least good. Dragon Roost, Great Sea, Molgera Battle, Outset Theme, all amazing.

So I guess my answer to this thread is Zelda.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Music from games that randomly pop into my mind:

Zelda (Alttp, oot, mm, ww all amazing)
Mario
Donkey kong country ( 1,2)
Chrono Trigger
Shadow of the Colossus
TWENY
Metroid (prime 1 and 2, super)
Halo

Top Bottom